Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Tresspasser is what happens when you have super-talented programmers and no producers. Death by a thousand instances of feature-creep.

Good soup! posted:

Hold on I gotta check my health *looks down at massive tits*
IIRC they made 'em bigger during development to hide that they didn't model legs. The end result being that the player model is basically a floating zero-gravity rack with a single long gibbon arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Good soup! posted:

Hold on I gotta check my health *looks down at massive tits*

So really above the curve.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Kins posted:

Tresspasser is what happens when you have super-talented programmers and no producers. Death by a thousand instances of feature-creep.
IIRC they made 'em bigger during development to hide that they didn't model legs. The end result being that the player model is basically a floating zero-gravity rack with a single long gibbon arm.

Lmao that's incredible

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Some of you probably weren’t around for the pre-release hype for Trespasser. The screenshots they showed were incredible! The AI was good enough that it led to emergent behavior - no hardcoded scenes! Dinosaurs would be programmed to go about their day which would naturally form a living, breathing ecosystem! Raptors would spontaneously decide to attack a stegosaurus that grazed too close! A real physics system where everything can interact!

At release the engine was a broken-rear end hybrid 2D/3D renderer that ran horribly, there was obscene object pop-in due to an incredibly aggressive level-of-detail system in an attempt to salvage the frame rate, the physics system was a disaster of things either getting stuck or flying off in weird directions, and all the AIs were programmed for 100% hostility because anything else would crash.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I think it was Ultima Online which was intended to have a living, breathing monster ecosystem, but they scrapped it after day 1 to something more traditional after the player base systematically scoured the lands of all monster life.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Linguica posted:

Trespasser was so ahead of the curve in so many ways, it's too bad the game was completely hosed up and only half-finished.

The Kins posted:

Good soup! posted:

Lmao that's incredible

Yeah, our very own Research Indicates did a fantastic Let's Play for it and he shows it off in one vid. I recommend it. Here's one he did for the history of Trespasser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6A3SaRr26M

And also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mECtAa2-Ln0

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 16, 2017

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

A long, long time ago I recorded a bunch of vignettes from Trespasser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93eNKNPjIFY

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I’m surprised that nobody has event attempted to do what Trespasser was aiming for since then. It was stupidly ambitious.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Yodzilla posted:

I’m surprised that nobody has event attempted to do what Trespasser was aiming for since then. It was stupidly ambitious.

In another reality, we would have gotten that Jurassic Park spinoff where players guide Nedry as he Tactical-Espionage-Actions his way off the island.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ChickenHeart posted:

In another reality, we would have gotten that Jurassic Park spinoff where players guide Nedry as he Tactical-Espionage-Actions his way off the island.

Then they could have modeled breasts and belly, and continued to omit the legs.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

doctorfrog posted:

Then they could have modeled breasts and belly, and continued to omit the legs.

Health is read by staring down at your shirt to determine how many foodstains have accumulated on it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

To read David Kushner tell it, Carmack needed Romero, and Romero needed Carmack.

That how I remember Proteus and/or Suspicious describe in their LPs of Daikatana and Quake II; without Carmack to reign him in, Romero went off and made Daikatana, which was a broken mess full of half-baked ideas.

On the flip side Quake II and the games that followed it, while being technically proficient, lacked the creative spark that Doom and Quake 1 had with Romero's influence. (At least that's how I remember it being described in the Quake II LP, though I've seen a couple people in the thread express a much higher opinion of Quake II, which makes me wonder if I've unfairly dismissed it.)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the lets play of trespasser by research indicates is an awesome way to get a look at the game overall, because actually trying to play it is a certified nightmare

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I think you could do a Trespasser remake now and have it work as intended, and it'd be a lot of fun. I bet all the voiceover stuff from Richard Attenborough and Minnie Driver is either in terrible quality audio files or completely destroyed though.

Edit: The studio that made it was bought by EA, changed names three times and now does additional content for Battlefield games, so yeah, that poo poo is long gone.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 16, 2017

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A remake of Tresspasser feels obvious to me. All the technical elements for it to work are in place now, even the weird-rear end hands system could be replaced by VR controls.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Does F.E.A.R. count in the ragdoll discussion? Cause drat were the ragdolls satisfying in that game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a game that seems similar in spirit to trespasser is the 2008 alone in the dark game. it has a bunch of admittedly kinda cool little systems going on, along with one of the best fire simulations i've ever seen in a game, but the overall package is kind of a weird mess due to the cobbled together wad of crap going on

https://lparchive.org/Alone-in-the-Dark-(2008)/

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SwissCM posted:

A remake of Tresspasser feels obvious to me. All the technical elements for it to work are in place now, even the weird-rear end hands system could be replaced by VR controls.

Yeah, and just discarded for non VR users. I like that they tried to do something different with the controls but gently caress me, it's a total mess to actually play.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, and just discarded for non VR users. I like that they tried to do something different with the controls but gently caress me, it's a total mess to actually play.

It comes across as a VR game. I wouldn't be surprised if the input system was influenced by data gloves that they had at the time.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

toasterwarrior posted:

Gotta show my appreciation for this post; I lost my poo poo at the Hounds of Tindalos reference.

Just look at this poo poo and tell me creepy beings from beyond our dimensions aren't responsible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12Y4J9qcBOQ

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Yodzilla posted:

They have. Receiver by Wolfire Games uses what is essentially the Trespasser aiming system, expanded to be the focus of the entire game.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Got my SC-55MkII recently and I'm loving this thing. I really want to get an 88 and screw and stack these two into a rack. I want something for both Duke, Blood and Doom. Also, want to do a lot of my own MIDIs.

Should I go for a regular 88, 88Pro or 88VL? Or should I just bite the bullet, save for another month and get an 8850?

I heard it's not that good with 55 & 88 backwards compatibility though.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I too, am proud to be of the exclusive sect of people that need to keep an old rear end synthesizer on their desk because some guys made bleep bloop music for a few videogames in the 90's.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Copper Vein posted:

I too, am proud to be of the exclusive sect of people that need to keep an old rear end synthesizer on their desk because some guys made bleep bloop music for a few videogames in the 90's.

Ha, you're not an audio/synth person, I take it. (Unless you're serious in what you say... In which case, :toot:)

I would never bother going after the stuff Uncle Kitchener is, but I understand and respect his ongoing quest for MIDI perfection.

My reasons for not doing it is that I have kids, so less disposable income, and that I'm more of a software guy, not so much hardware. But I still get it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Fabien Sanglard did a great analysis of Tresspasser. It covers all of the grandiose stuff they had to cut.

http://fabiensanglard.net/trespasser/index.php

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
MIDI is love. MIDI is life.

I refuse to play my bleep bloop games without an expensive, Japanese-imported box making beep beep boop boop sounds.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Yamaha MU2000ex

I've resisted buying one of these so far. Somehow I make do with a MT-32 and a stack of 55's.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I want a Floppotron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNTtR6ZpUOo

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
What do you use a stack of 55s for, playing multiple songs at once?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
gently caress it, I'll treat myself to an 88Pro this Christmas. Maybe then I'll finally be able to hear the Blood soundtrack on an 88 since no one on the internet has bothered to record that.

Keiya posted:

I don't know what you'd use a stack of 55s for unless it's for playing black MIDIs. Stacking a MT-32 and 55 for games like monkey island or wing commander or stacking a 55 and 88 for Duke/Blood or 68000 Castlevania sounds more useful.

Theee's a big Castlevania scene in Japan that still prefers to play the games on sound canvases.

Also, Final Fantasy games were composed on SC-88, so there's a fanbase for that too.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Keiya posted:

In serious uses, you might have multiple MIDI synths going at once for some sort of performance, since some sorts of stuff would have more than 24 instruments you want to have ready to go at once.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Copper Vein posted:

Yamaha MU2000ex

I've resisted buying one of these so far. Somehow I make do with a MT-32 and a stack of 55's.
It sounds amazing for Descent too. I briefly considered buying one but the flashing process to turn an MU2000 into an ex sounded scary and I wouldn’t use it enough to justify it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

fishmech posted:

In serious uses, you might have multiple MIDI synths going at once for some sort of performance, since some sorts of stuff would have more than 24 instruments you want to have ready to go at once.

24 instruments :eyepop: that's like Brian Eno level

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wamdoodle posted:

24 instruments :eyepop: that's like Brian Eno level

Yeah like, totally something you'd onyl do because you want to get up to some weird stuff with your music. Or if you like, wanted to do some manner of performance where you're only using a few instruments per song, but many many instruments all together and it can be easier to set your equipment up with multiple different synth boxes to trigger.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

No. I'm just a hardware fetishist so I bought a backup for my SC-55 and then a backup backup SC-55 mkII because if I have to play E1M2 even once with software MIDI I will kill myself.

But you fuckers came up with some crazy poo poo!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If only Roland would make perfect emulators -- I don't mean approximations like Virtual Sound Canvas -- it'd be so great.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Playing Saturn Quake and it's just so fuckin weird. Once you get used to the controls, it's just.......so wild.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I've now played almost every major early FPS and there really is nothing like original Doom and Doom 2. I bounced off everything I tried, often within a few minutes and then forced myself to play for a bit longer. I don't really like any of them much except for the Dooms, but those are 2 of my favourite video games of all time. I thought it was just modern games that didn't do what Doom did but it seems like not even the so-called Doom clones really tried to clone Doom. I'm not saying the other games are bad, they just lack the specific qualities of Doom that make me personally like it. And it's not nostalgia either as first time I played more than a couple levels of Doom was last year. It's kinda weird and mildly infuriating.

Feeling oddly tempted to take on the ridiculous project of making a spiritual successor so I'm gonna try Doom map making to either kill the feeling or get in some practice.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Futuresight posted:

I've now played almost every major early FPS and there really is nothing like original Doom and Doom 2. I bounced off everything I tried, often within a few minutes and then forced myself to play for a bit longer. I don't really like any of them much except for the Dooms, but those are 2 of my favourite video games of all time. I thought it was just modern games that didn't do what Doom did but it seems like not even the so-called Doom clones really tried to clone Doom. I'm not saying the other games are bad, they just lack the specific qualities of Doom that make me personally like it. And it's not nostalgia either as first time I played more than a couple levels of Doom was last year. It's kinda weird and mildly infuriating.

Feeling oddly tempted to take on the ridiculous project of making a spiritual successor so I'm gonna try Doom map making to either kill the feeling or get in some practice.

Make a 3D recreation of MAP01 in UE 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Remember to add an absolute fuckton of blinding bloom if you do.