Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

drat ea got some manchildren real riled up over wookie lootboxes that theyre making facebook memes out of it

i know caring about anything is lol as gently caress but how is spreading awareness about gambling in a children's game not a good thing? loot boxes are a loving cancer

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

drat ea got some manchildren real riled up over wookie lootboxes that theyre making facebook memes out of it

Yeah, it's kinda stupid.

I think the lootboxes are a stupid decision and I'm not buying the game either, but the level of histronics idiots on reddit are taking this is kind of hilarious.

I had one friend who frequents that sub start telling me that lootboxes are just like net neutrality :jerkbag:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I once got into a fistfight over $5.

If I spend $80 and I feel ripped off, I’m probably going to flip poo poo too.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The Battlefront 2 loot box system is legitimately bad. Namely because unlike Call of Duty, there is no clear path to unlocking attachments or class buffs/items. And each crate is 2000 credits on the low end. I’ve been earning roughly 200-250 credits per match. What you get in the crates is random and can be stuff for classes you don’t play.

Basically, playing as an assault class means you could be unlocking stuff for a sniper. It’s extremely annoying and makes grinding an abstract affair.

And unlike COD again where each perk/attachment comes with trade offs, the BF2 star cards are straight up buffs. Not to mention that to level up cards for the class you do want to play requires you to have Star cards for that class. So none of the systems actually feed into each other in a very friendly manner in a way where spending money provides a more direct, logical path. All spending cash does is guarantee you more crates and nothing else. I haven’t spent cash, by the way, but man this all kind of makes me miss season passes.

bloops fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 15, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I'm just annoyed because EA has exclusive rights to make Star Wars games, and has had that agreement for what, four years now? And all we've gotten out of it is two battlefronts that are arguably mediocre or contain garbage unlock systems.

They've been doing a garbage job but I'm sure the sales numbers are enough that Disney doesn't give a poo poo since they got their cut either way.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea I don’t put the blame on DICE for this. They can obviously create Battlefield games devoid of these absurd crate systems.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Oh and if I feel ripped off and I’m still inside my cancellation window and you go out of your way to make that a pain in the rear end to get my $80 back?

Yeah I’ll probably flip out.

For once I agree with the overreacting nerds.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
In good news, IO Interactive got the rights back to Freedom Fighters.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s absolutely gotten to the point where games are getting designed around the loot boxes so you get a shittier experience if you don’t buy them. Battlefront 2 is by far the most egregious example.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Forza 7 is also pretty bad about this but not in the way that absolutely stymies level progression like BF2.

EA is having an AMA today. If it were me running it, I’d start off by announcing game changes to leveling. Basically hijacking the subject away from what people are upset about into a new topic.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

boop the snoot posted:

Oh and if I feel ripped off and I’m still inside my cancellation window and you go out of your way to make that a pain in the rear end to get my $80 back?

Yeah I’ll probably flip out.

For once I agree with the overreacting nerds.

I don't think anyone's saying there's no reason to be mad, but the levels of histronics gamers take this kind of poo poo to is both dumb and hilarious. It's loot boxes, not forced refinancing on your mortgage.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Nothing will top the goon mad about hunting endangered bengal tigers in Far Cry 3.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Handsome Ralph posted:

I don't think anyone's saying there's no reason to be mad, but the levels of histronics gamers take this kind of poo poo to is both dumb and hilarious. It's loot boxes, not forced refinancing on your mortgage.

If it curbs the loot box problem then I’m okay with it. This poo poo is going to infest more games in the future like DLC did in the last decade.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Anger isn't going to do poo poo so long as people continue to buy the game. Pretend I posted that CODMW2 boycott group showing 2/3s of the players in that steam group playing it a week after launch.

Just don't buy it, that's literally your only and as it happens your best recourse for this kind of poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Anger isn't going to do poo poo so long as people continue to buy the game. Pretend I posted that CODMW2 boycott group showing 2/3s of the players in that steam group playing it a week after launch.

Just don't buy it, that's literally your only and as it happens your best recourse for this kind of poo poo.

Bad publicity tends to actually get some concessions these days, even if it’s not permanently effective. Have you noticed that complaining to the CEO on Twitter has turned into the most effective way to get real customer service?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Not buying is the most effective, but causing enough trouble to stir up headlines for days is also mightily effective.

Companies tend to build out an acceptable level of discontent for a product/service. Sometimes the trigger is sustained negative social media comments on the level of 5-10 comments per day.

I’ve pulled ads for a very slight uptick in bad social media commenting. Something like 7 comments in 24 hours was enough for us. The aim is to get ahead of any trouble.

What EA is dealing with is not within their limits. I guarantee you that much. Sales matter, but so does the sales on the next game, and what’s going on with micro transactions and loot boxes is a clear upward trend of consumer discontent.

But that’s how these things go. Brands push a strategy until it breaks, dial it back or revise, and repeat. That is until they find a new method to generate more revenue.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Even people I know who don't really play games are posting about BF2 on Facebook. Mainly how it's a rip off and they're not going to buy it / are going to return it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I forgot you work in marketing so yeah, I stand corrected. Hadn't looked at it that way.

I guess just for me, on a personal level, I think it's fine to get annoyed and voice frustration about this stuff on social media.

It's when the histronics get turned up to 11 for stuff like this that I roll my eyes. Mostly cause it's a video game and while that shits annoying, pretending it's infringing on your civil liberties or some poo poo is a bridge too far for me.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea I understand that. But brands do see this feedback and parse through the hysterical commenting and the more level-headed responses.

I LOVED checking social media for what consumers were saying. I’d snip highlights to pass around the agency teams and to our brand managers. We’d have a good time when two people in the comments started bitching at each other. poo poo was hilarious.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

cowboy elvis posted:

Yea I don’t put the blame on DICE for this. They can obviously create Battlefield games devoid of these absurd crate systems.

We'll see how long that remains the case.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Loot crates and kickstarter are the two new business models for video games. I'd be surprised if we ever went back to the once-and-done model of sales.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Can we blame Valve for starting this with the hat market instead of working on HL3?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Half Life 3 :smith:

At this point, if they ever do release it, I think it'll just be another Duke Nukem Forever scenario.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Another BBC article about battlefront 2

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41997252

meta critic user score 1.0

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/star-wars-battlefront-ii

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ah metacritic, the bastion of factual reviews. EA really did blow it p bad though.

E: even russians are getting in on the pants-making GBS threads over EA.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Metacritic has a big influence in media consumption.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

Metacritic has a big influence in media consumption.

The user reviews are full of fanboys who know only the 10.0 and 0 rating.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

orange juche posted:

The user reviews are full of fanboys who know only the 10.0 and 0 rating.

seems pretty good for a like / dislike setting then

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Mild Battlefront 2 spoilers but I don't give a gently caress.

You know how they hyped the single player as you fighting for the empire? That lasts for like 3 missions before you go over to the rebel side because the Empire is building World Destroying Super Weapon #95154652

Even the single player poo poo is a bait and switch

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

loving lol

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
games as a service is gonna become a lot more common in the future. the big studios are employing hundreds of people who work for 1-2 years making each big release. average production budgets are about 60 million. that means to break even, they have to sell 1 million copies at full price. thats not even taking into account advertising budgets, which are often bigger than the dev budget. adjust for inflation, and games are the cheapest theyve ever been

so its either pay 60 bucks and deal with micro transactions, or prepare for an across the board price increase. im not condoning lovely stuff like the battlefront situation, where its clearly a pay to win thing in an mp title, but its a market reality, and the best way to let the publishers know its not ok is to not buy games with that kind of poo poo in them

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i have an idea for the worst microtransaction system ever

PUBG but released for free

every game costs 25 cents

your account is billed every 30 days

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

redneck nazgul posted:

hello visa prepaid cards

games as a service is gonna become a lot more common in the future. the big studios are employing hundreds of people who work for 1-2 years making each big release. average production budgets are about 60 million. that means to break even, they have to sell 1 million copies at full price. thats not even taking into account advertising budgets, which are often bigger than the dev budget. adjust for inflation, and games are the cheapest theyve ever been

so its either pay 60 bucks and deal with micro transactions, or prepare for an across the board price increase. im not condoning lovely stuff like the battlefront situation, where its clearly a pay to win thing in an mp title, but its a market reality, and the best way to let the publishers know its not ok is to not buy games with that kind of poo poo in them

The big thing that I see are cutting the publishers out via kickstarter/supporter packs. Your average development team gets like, what was it, 12%? of a 60 dollar game. You need to sell a lot less copies when you're getting 70% of the cost (because of the 30% gaben tithe)

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

redneck nazgul posted:

I would be homeless in a month

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Still need to buy that game.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Vasudus posted:

hello visa prepaid cards

The big thing that I see are cutting the publishers out via kickstarter/supporter packs. Your average development team gets like, what was it, 12%? of a 60 dollar game. You need to sell a lot less copies when you're getting 70% of the cost (because of the 30% gaben tithe)

crowdfunding is fine for a small indie team, but most of the more successful kickstarted games used the campaign as proof there was a market for their concept in order to secure investment capital. a big publisher that has an insanely successful flagship ip, that isnt run by complete money grubbing shitheels (activision, ea, etc), will sometimes use profits to fund smaller games that arent a guaranteed thing. the big publishing houses are gonna be around for a while still, crowdfunding isnt the endrun around them that people hoped it would be. shenmue 3 was the most successful crowdfunded game (i refuse to include star citizen, because its less a game and more a way to fleece money out of people on the spectrum), and it only raised $6.3 million

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Still need to buy that game.

Yes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

crowdfunding is fine for a small indie team, but most of the more successful kickstarted games used the campaign as proof there was a market for their concept in order to secure investment capital. a big publisher that has an insanely successful flagship ip, that isnt run by complete money grubbing shitheels (activision, ea, etc), will sometimes use profits to fund smaller games that arent a guaranteed thing. the big publishing houses are gonna be around for a while still, crowdfunding isnt the endrun around them that people hoped it would be. shenmue 3 was the most successful crowdfunded game (i refuse to include star citizen, because its less a game and more a way to fleece money out of people on the spectrum), and it only raised $6.3 million

Thanks for reminding me of that one video where the two guys start screaming incoherently the moment the word Shenmue pops up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

not even gonna give them more internet traffic

but, uh, cultural appropriation in H:ZD

if ya really need the link

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/11/horizon-zero-dawni-dlc-the-frozen-wilds-uncomforta.html

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 16, 2017