Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Tiberius Christ posted:

i am russian bot beep boop comrade

da let us son our Adidas tracksuits and squat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Just want to say that all are welcomed in the Costco thread, even the bad posters.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

This isn't a remotely logical conclusion. The really obvious explanation for Democratic victories post-Trump is just a combination of anti-Trump sentiment driving people to the polls (mostly this) and getting back people who were specifically unhappy with Clinton (yeah there's not really any logical reason for someone to be opposed to Clinton and okay with Northam, but a bunch of people had specific animosity towards her). It also involves the bizarre assumption that a significant portion of the people who voted for Northam and didn't vote for Clinton were leftists, when there isn't really any evidence showing that leftists didn't vote for Clinton at rates higher than any other potential Democratic voter subgroup.

It's funny how you're fine with making completely baseless claims as long as they support your bizarre obsession with making contrarian posts towards the left, yet demand the most stringent proof for anything someone on the left says.

I don’t know whose conclusions you’re arguing with here, but they aren’t mine. I didn’t attempt to explain why Northam won, or that leftists were more likely than other democrats to defect,I just presented evidence that self identified liberals were half as likely to defect as in last year’s election. You’re the one making evidence-free assertions about the data here, as is apparently your posting gimmick, but no amount of tedious assertions will make that evidence disappear.

It’s strange to me that you interpret a post where I laud the left for making good and rational decisions about their voting choices as an attack on the left, as opposed to an attack on the morons who’d let Trump win for the sake of their purity or calculated accelerationism. Particularly since you’re so sensitive to the suggestion that those people exist in any significant number on the left.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

It’s strange to me that you interpret a post where I laud the left for making good and rational decisions about their voting choices as an attack on the left, as opposed to an attack on the morons who’d let Trump win for the sake of their purity or calculated accelerationism.
Reminder that most of the people here you've got a pathetic little posting vendetta against, including myself, voted for Clinton. Truth is you just think about politics the same way other people think about their fantasy football league, and you get super-triggered whenever anyone calls you on it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

I don’t know whose conclusions you’re arguing with here, but they aren’t mine. I didn’t attempt to explain why Northam won, or that leftists were more likely than other democrats to defect,I just presented evidence that self identified liberals were half as likely to defect as in last year’s election. You’re the one making evidence-free assertions about the data here, as is apparently your posting gimmick, but no amount of tedious assertions will make that evidence disappear.

It’s strange to me that you interpret a post where I laud the left for making good and rational decisions about their voting choices as an attack on the left, as opposed to an attack on the morons who’d let Trump win for the sake of their purity or calculated accelerationism. Particularly since you’re so sensitive to the suggestion that those people exist in any significant number on the left.

No, you explicitly claimed that "making leftists feel bad for not supporting a flawed moderate candidate worked in Virginia" which directly implies that making people feel guilty for not voting for Clinton is what drove Northam's higher turnout among self-described liberals. You directly suggested that their reason for voting for Northam was related to regretting the error of not voting for Clinton in 2016.

Jesus Christ you're a dishonest person. I mean, you literally explicitly said a thing, in the post I quoted. Like, I'm sure this motivation is true for some non-zero number of people, but there isn't any rational reason to draw that specific conclusion unless you were specifically looking at this information and trying to figure out some way to twist it into a conclusion that directly or indirectly attacked the left (in this case in the form of condescendingly complimenting them for realizing the error of their ways, which is basically a backhanded way to imply that leftists not voting for Clinton was a notable issue in the 2016 election without outright saying it).

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Ytlaya you are so going to get told you have poor reading comprehension. Brace yourself :ohdear:

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 16, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
More like the blunderdome

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
On the one hand it's kinda funny to see JC's desperate attempts to rile people up, but on the other hand it's kinda sad to see the lengths he'll go to in order to convince himself that the real world hasn't left him behind and that his ideology isn't just another costly failure.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, the way I see it JC is just a bit more honest than most centrists in how much they despise anyone pushing for leftward economics. I honestly believe centrists are terrified that leftism isn't just going to complicate elections/primaries, but will lead to a degree of class leveling they will honestly do anything to stop. For centrists, keeping America's verticle class system is the key priority and everything else is secondary.

I do think a lot of leftists have a blind spot regarding this, and it really shouldn't be a surprise when centrists become increasingly hostile. It isn't a personal thing, but just part of a greater ideological battle. (The DNC is a good example of how this works in practice.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Granted, the way I see it JC is just a bit more honest than most centrists in how much they despise anyone pushing for leftward economics. I honestly believe centrists are terrified that leftism isn't just going to complicate elections/primaries, but will lead to a degree of class leveling they will honestly do anything to stop. For centrists, keeping America's verticle class system is the key priority and everything else is secondary.

I do think a lot of leftists have a blind spot regarding this, and it really shouldn't be a surprise when centrists become increasingly hostile. It isn't a personal thing, but just part of a greater ideological battle. (The DNC is a good example of how this works in practice.)

I think this is true of Democratic politicians and a portion of the sort of liberals who frequently argue with the left on SA (maybe 1/2 or 1/3), but I think there are some people who just internalize the impression of the left they receive from the media and genuinely believe that the Democrats are making a serious effort to fix our country's problems and that the left is somehow sabotaging this by making unrealistic demands. It also doesn't help that there's a minority of self-identified leftists who are actually pretty toxic, and some people have been conditioned to err on the side of assuming bigotry is a problem in any given organization, so people end up assuming the radical left are all a bunch of crypto-bigots who hate identity politics or whatever. Of course, this doesn't explain why they don't apply this same standard to mainstream Democrats - who consist of a hell of a lot more bigoted people than the radical left - but I think that comes back to the "people being influenced by the media they consume" issue. The media has frequently talked about "the left's problem with racism/sexism," so these people come away thinking it's a problem unique to the radical left.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

you've got a pathetic little posting vendetta

Kilroy posted:

I don't know, a lot more posters seem acutely aware of what a shithead you are ever since I started calling you a shithead and laying out all the various reasons you're a shithead.

:ironicat:

Ytlaya posted:

No, you explicitly claimed that "making leftists feel bad for not supporting a flawed moderate candidate worked in Virginia" which directly implies that making people feel guilty for not voting for Clinton is what drove Northam's higher turnout among self-described liberals.

No, that doesn’t imply higher turnout, it implies people stopped protest voting and started voting for the lesser evil. This was a phenomenon across the democratic spectrum— moderate democrats were also more likely to vote for Northam.

Ytlaya posted:

It also doesn't help that there's a minority of self-identified leftists who are actually pretty toxic,

And that’s the minority of the left I have no problem making GBS threads on—the ones who’d throw elections to Republicans to try and extract concessions from the democrats. I’m happy that the Virginia election indicates this group of lovely leftists is shrinking.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Prove they stopped protest voting Jefferson Clay. Prove that people stopped voting Green in local elections,or in the Governors race.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Your posting vendetta is pathetic and sad, because you are pathetic and sad. My posting vendetta and righteous and mighty :colbert:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

And that’s the minority of the left I have no problem making GBS threads on—the ones who’d throw elections to Republicans to try and extract concessions from the democrats. I’m happy that the Virginia election indicates this group of lovely leftists is shrinking.
The trouble is you have no ability to identify this group because you're too dumb, and it's compounded by your inclination to lump anyone you don't like into this group because you're a bitter little poo poo.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Prove they stopped protest voting Jefferson Clay. Prove that people stopped voting Green in local elections,or in the Governors race.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/local/virginia-politics/governor-exit-polls/?utm_term=.153999d5514c

85% of self-identified liberals voted for Clinton. 92% voted for Northam. 92% of self-identified democrats voted for Clinton. 97% voted for Northam. There were similar shifts among moderates/independents.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

How do you feel about Northam winning in Virginia?

Racist (or sexist, or homophobic) as a binary “are/are not” description isn’t real useful when describing white people (or men, or heterosexuals) because they all are, to some degree. Trying to find the not racist candidate in any race is often impossible. If you’re faced with a choice between two white men, you should probably feel justified in voting for the less racist, less sexist one.

living up to your redtext as usual JC. gently caress you

it's hosed that you feel welcome to tell black people that they should embrace racist white men pragmatically

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/local/virginia-politics/governor-exit-polls/?utm_term=.153999d5514c

85% of self-identified liberals voted for Clinton. 92% voted for Northam. 92% of self-identified democrats voted for Clinton. 97% voted for Northam. There were similar shifts among moderates/independents.

That wasn't what I asked for and you know it, you disingenuous poo poo. Hate to say it, but Mao was right about Libs.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

living up to your redtext as usual JC. gently caress you

it's hosed that you feel welcome to tell black people that they should embrace racist white men pragmatically

Would you have voted for FDR over Hoover? Or LBJ over Goldwater? Or Bernie Sanders over Trump?

All those white dudes have a nonzero amount of racism.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

Would you have voted for FDR over Hoover? Or LBJ over Goldwater? Or Bernie Sanders over Trump?

All those white dudes have a nonzero amount of racism.

in tyool 2017, racist and racism pandering dems should not be a thing. and you're advocating for them to be a thing. and you're telling a black person they should shut up and accept it and vote for it. gently caress you

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

it's a very shitheaded thing for you to tell a black person that they need to embrace racists for their own benefit. it's hosed up that you feel entitled to lecture a black person on what's best for them wrt racism and voting/not voting for racist white men.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
imagine how relieved JC must be that finally, the primary over, he can openly embrace the statements he tiptoed around before

that in his eyes, the mistake of the Democrats in the years until now is that they have been too welcoming; too accepting of minorities, and that in order to pass sensible financial deregulations and welfare cuts, we've got to toss the untermenschen in jail where they belong

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

it's a very shitheaded thing for you to tell a black person that they need to embrace racists for their own benefit. it's hosed up that you feel entitled to lecture a black person on what's best for them wrt racism and voting/not voting for racist white men.

This is a very shitheaded thing to do.

Edit- So's that below. Neither of you should be twisting each other's arguments for excuses to cry racism.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

It’s a very shitheaded thing for you to tell all the POC who turned out to vote for Northam they’re complicit in white supremacy, and that they’re traitors for not letting the Republican win.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

So's this.

Calling out racism is the real racism, a uniquely spicy take.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Get this, black person's may agree or disagree with either of you for reasons of their own.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

This is a very shitheaded thing to do.

Edit- So's that below. Neither of you should be twisting each other's arguments for excuses to cry racism.

i've twisted nothing nevvy

Nevvy Z posted:

Get this, black person's may agree or disagree with either of you for reasons of their own.

i'm not saying what black people should do at all nevvy you idiot. i'm saying that jc shouldn't be telling a black person what they should be thinking wrt to racist white men, after a black person explicitly said what they think of racist white men. pull your head out of your rear end

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
I always feel bad for people like Nevvy Z because he actually holds decent political opinions it's just he can't escape the 2016 primary brainworms infection that has him knee jerk opposing any leftist that posts anything critical of the democratic party. Even if it means he ends up spending the majority of threads defending Jefferson "Actually sweatshops are good" Clay

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Ze Pollack posted:

imagine how relieved JC must be that finally, the primary over, he can openly embrace the statements he tiptoed around before

that in his eyes, the mistake of the Democrats in the years until now is that they have been too welcoming; too accepting of minorities, and that in order to pass sensible financial deregulations and welfare cuts, we've got to toss the untermenschen in jail where they belong

This is an impressively dumb takeaway from a post where I assert all white people are racist and we should prefer the less racist ones if forced to choose between them.

Condiv posted:

i'm not saying what black people should do at all nevvy you idiot. i'm saying that jc shouldn't be telling a black person what they should be thinking wrt to racist white men, after a black person explicitly said what they think of racist white men. pull your head out of your rear end

A whole lot of POC in Virginia disagreed, and I don’t feel one bit bad about suggesting thy aren’t complicit in white supremacy for voting against a Republican who was undeniably worse.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 16, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

i'm not saying what black people should do at all nevvy you idiot.

That wasn't what I asserted you idiot.

If she wants to drag him about how he addressed her, let her do it.

It's pretty clear you care way more about bashing JC than about how he talks to or about black people.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 16, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

That wasn't what I asserted you idiot.

If she wants to drag him about how he addressed her, let her do it.

It's pretty clear you care way more about bashing JC than about how he talks to or about black people.

What other -isms should I ignore nevvy? If a poster is being sexist should I ignore it cause I'm not a woman?

You can gently caress right off too since you think black people should have to call out and fight racist attitudes all on their own.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

It’s a very shitheaded thing for you to tell all the POC who turned out to vote for Northam they’re complicit in white supremacy, and that they’re traitors for not letting the Republican win.
Probably, but go ahead and say that exact same thing to the POC who protested Northam's victory speech.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

What other -isms should I ignore nevvy? If a poster is being sexist should I ignore it cause I'm not a woman?

You can gently caress right off too since you think black people should have to call out and fight racist attitudes all on their own.

It's not racism to share his opinion with a black person. He wasn't dictating how they should behave. You using black people as a cudgel to bash posters you don't like is gross and you do it all the time.

You shouldn't use women for that purpose either.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 16, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

Probably, but go ahead and say that exact same thing to the POC who protested Northam's victory speech.

Protesting Northam for racist actions is a good thing. Protesting Northam voters for their complicity in white supremacy is not, because the unavoidable conclusion is that the right way to fight white supremacy is to let the Republicans win elections. Thankfully the wave of POC voters that propelled Northam to victory did not subscribe to that view.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

It's not racism to share his opinion with a black person. He wasn't dictating how they should behave. You using black people as a cudgel to bash posters you don't like is gross.

Yes, nevvy you idiot sharing your opinion with a black person can be racist. For example if the opinion is racist. Like saying that she doesn't know what's best for her race and saying she's wrong and needs to vote for racists for her own good.

Now gently caress right off.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

Like saying that she doesn't know what's best for her race and saying she's wrong and needs to vote for racists for her own good.

That's not what happened. You are not the world's perfect arbiter of what is or is not racist and you are being a shithead and it's clearly all motivated by your desire to bash people on the internet. This is not the first time.

You know you quoted him right? I can see what he said. It doesn't match what you are saying.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 16, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

That's not what happened. You are not the world's perfect arbiter of what is or is not racist and you are being a shithead and it's clearly all motivated by your desire to bash people on the internet.

It is in fact what happened nevvy and you can gently caress right off for excusing racism. You're not the arbiter of racism either and apparently you think the equivalent of mansplaining but to black people is totally cool and not racist. Hell, you probably think mansplaining isn't a manifestation of sexism either since your head is so far up your rear end

Now gently caress right off

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's honestly fascinating how the importance of bashing people on the internet completely overwhelms your ability to comprehend words and meaning.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

It's honestly fascinating how the importance of bashing people on the internet completely overwhelms your ability to comprehend words and meaning.

It's amazing how you feel a deep need to defend a guy who's been probated for racism against accusations of racism nevvy, but here we are. Now gently caress off

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

NewForumSoftware posted:

I always feel bad for people like Nevvy Z because he actually holds decent political opinions it's just he can't escape the 2016 primary brainworms infection that has him knee jerk opposing any leftist that posts anything critical of the democratic party. Even if it means he ends up spending the majority of threads defending Jefferson "Actually sweatshops are good" Clay

Every now and then the leftists are wrong and JC is right. I refuse to let blind hatred make me dishonest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I love watching goons argue about black people without the presence of actual black posters.

Hot loving mess.

• Locked thread