Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Midnightghoul posted:

I just hope at some point in the future we get to know the answer to the burning question - Was Ben in the Marines?

He's got southern charm, not Special Agent Sheppard/Debbie Wanner upside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I enjoyed the passive aggressive hostility at this TC. This crew is like HvV2: a heroes tribe and a villain endgame.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Joe will probably be back as a villain. He's a good villain. I hate him, but he's an asset to the game entertainment-wise.

This season is aggressively mediocre. I like a lot of the challenge designs and twists. The people just all seem to be skating by.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Desi was a good boot. Joe will make a great decoy if he sticks around.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Keeping Joe is risky, if anyone is going to cause chaos it's him.

A lot of silly things in this episode like putting the food on the tea towel, Ryan whispering stuff right beside two other people and the idol drama that got zero mention unless I missed something.

blue squares posted:

Joe should suggest that Ben was never in the Marines and it is a cover for the fact that he is a millionaire already

That would be great and we'd probably get our first physical confrontation boot from that. I think most people could see through Joe though.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

"Oh, they served spaghetti on top of the napkin, I must be the first one to see the clue" :smug:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

"Oh, they served spaghetti on top of the napkin, I must be the first one to see the clue" :smug:

I don't know who is dumber. Her or the genius that thought no one would look under the napkin. Probably her since the plate was obviously covered with food shmutz under there

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

(reading a clue covered in remnants of spaghetti and sauce) There's no way anyone else read this

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'm really mad they didn't devote more time to Joe's reaction to a pile of spaghetti served on just a cloth napkin

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I want to say I'm sad Desi is gone because she seemed smart and good and just never caught the tribe breaks to ever get her footing in the game... but why the hell did she vote for Lauren?

Chrissy's got a really weird pattern of whispering about secret poo poo when she's in a big group of people. And yeah, it was kind of dumb for her to not immediately realize Cole put that napkin there, but she seemed to get there eventually since she asked Ryan if she thought Cole had seen it. Chrissy's problem remains that she seems a little too arrogant with her game skills.

Cole is so, so dumb. Lets us count the ways.
1) Not hiding the plate.
2) Taking a piss and leaving Chrissy and Ryan to dig it up when he knew they knew.
3) Probably not just going for it right away since he knew Chrissy and Ryan knew so he was never going to be able to keep it secret.
4) Trying to rush Chrissy hoping she didn't already have it instead of just going all "Hey, Chrissy is digging up an idol" and trying to create chaos.
5) Not actually proving you didn't have the idol after all that and instead just going with "yeah."

Maybe not that last one. I guess that's debatable. Maybe its better to let them believe you have the idol and hope they split the votes so you have a chance. But unless you actually have someone you think you can flip I think you're in "protect myself" mode at that stage and have to just strip and show you don't have the idol.

All in all I didn't hate this episode or anything but it was propped up by Cole's dumbness and idol stuff and I definitely fear we're at the start of a boring pagonging. I think Ryan's played well since the merge but maybe the idol makes him overplay now and creates some chaos or Lauren gets a big head about the double vote or someone knew how to count and starts asking questions.

CODChimera posted:

Keeping Joe is risky, if anyone is going to cause chaos it's him.

Eh, Joe seems really ineffective. I keep saying this so maybe I'm just a hater but aside from working up Ben for what he admits is a sensitive subject for him he really hasn't manipulated anyone or done much in the game. The way Ashley and Chrissy were talking about him in Tribal and even Desi make it seem like he's more of a nuisance than a game threat. Desi's smart, great at the comps, and seemingly doesn't piss everyone off. So she's a bigger game threat. Joe's just better TV.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 16, 2017

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ryan, is that an idol in your pants or you just pleased to see me? :heysexy:

This season reminds me of Gabon. Stupid people not playing the game very well but still managing to be quite entertaining as they do.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Mike is actually kind of killing it. Who else even remembers that he has an idol?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I pretty much always forget and that after an episode go "oh... does Mike have an idol?"

I think Jessica was the only one we were shown to know about it so I'm assuming no one knows. I guess he didn't deem it worth outing to Joe, Cole, and Desi for a gamble that they pick the right person and strike a blow. Which was probably the right call. Even if they had got Ben out it wouldn't have split that group, probably. Maybe it would have broke Lauren off. But it wasn't a big blow and Mike's probably safe a few rounds while Cole, Joe, and Desi are bigger targets. Then he probably hopes he can get in further with Ben and Lauren and survive the majority turning on each other and use the idol deep. I'm not sure Mike's played a good enough game for me to root for him to win (he hasn't played a bad game either, he just hasn't been in a position to make moves) but he does seem in a solid position to get deep.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Why would people keep Joe over Desi. Desi's better at challenges but Joe's... Joe.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Why would people keep Joe over Desi. Desi's better at challenges but Joe's... Joe.
Fading into the background can make you a threat. Joe will flame out and isn't really a chaos threat other than idol hunting.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Is there a rule against suddenly yelling during an immunity challenge like that one? I feel like a well-placed shriek could have caused at least a few eliminations.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Probably not, but it would make people hate you and you wouldn't guarantee yourself a win.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Joe will argue with anybody and keeps a nice big target on his back with his antics. He's worth keeping around as a meatshield.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Propaganda Machine posted:

Joe will argue with anybody and keeps a nice big target on his back with his antics. He's worth keeping around as a meatshield.

I'd imagine that's the thinking by them keeping him around. We'll see if it pays off.

STAC Goat posted:

5) Not actually proving you didn't have the idol after all that and instead just going with "yeah."

That could've been his biggest mistake. He should have proved he doesn't have the idol, dig up the area and then get the rest of them to start questioning everyone who went on the reward.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
What we should have seen is JP 2.0. We could have had a record of strip searches per season.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Cole clearly knew they were going after him no matter what; letting them think he has the idol (by looking like he was doing a terrible job of denying it) was a good move because it made them do something potentially stupid in splitting the votes. Unfortunately, the Healers then did something even stupider by not voting together against Ben.

Seriously, Cole is a weird, frustrating character and I kind of love him for it. He's in this Uncanny Valley of Survivor gameplay where he's this close to being a good player, but his inability to bridge that little gap makes him seem like the worst player ever. Anyone remember Animaniacs? Cole is like the Good Idea and Bad Idea skeletons rolled into one person.

GOOD IDEA: Blindside the guy with an idol to get it out of the game and eliminate the competition.
BAD IDEA: Telling everyone on the tribe about this plan before you even lose the challenge.

GOOD IDEA: Sharing secret information with potential allies to build trust.
BAD IDEA: Sharing your ally's secret information with every potential ally at the expense of people who already like you.

GOOD IDEA: Keeping yourself strong in an individual competition where food is scarce by hoarding food and eating more than your opponents.
BAD IDEA: Doing this right in front of them.

GOOD IDEA: Finding an idol clue and hiding it so your competition doesn't see it.
BAD IDEA: Hiding it under a goddamn napkin.

GOOD IDEA: Bluffing that you have an idol when you are in trouble, and recognizing that your enemies may give you an opportunity to strike back by splitting the votes against you.
BAD IDEA: Failing to seize this opportunity by voting against your own allies.

Cole is just... great. I don't even feel bad about making fun of him because he's clearly self-aware and a good dude in real life, and seems to be taking this whole thing in stride. Cole isn't an Ozzy or Joey Amazing, hoping to make it to the end via immunities and the power of his Golden Boy glow, nor is he a Taylor, who's just trying to mess things up and doesn't really care. Cole Medders is actually trying to play the game of Survivor. He's just so bad at it. :allears:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

We've been on this slippery slope for a while but production is trying way too hard to generate compelling reward content here.

Nah. This is gold. More of this please.

And that was great editing with Ryan, Crissy, and Cole going for the digging.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Unfortunately, the Healers then did something even stupider by not voting together against Ben.

I really don't understand what happened. Joe, Cole, Mike, and Desi voting Ben would have been 4 votes Ben and he would have been eliminated. Ben came to Mike and told him straight up that would happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor:_Heroes_vs._Healers_vs._Hustlers#Voting_history

This season is incomprehensible from a strategy and alliance perspective because we aren't being shown crucial information

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rarity posted:

Ryan, is that an idol in your pants or you just pleased to see me? :heysexy:

This season reminds me of Gabon. Stupid people not playing the game very well but still managing to be quite entertaining as they do.

Thank you! I've been trying to figure out what has seemed so off about this season! I had missed the last couple of seasons so I was wondering if I had just maybe lost interest. But I had some time off recently and rewatched some older seasons of Survivor, and I had so much fun. Plus, after 35 seasons, I don't remember everything that's happened anymore. So, it's not that I'm not interested in Survivor anymore.

You're exactly right. It's a bunch of stupid people playing the game not very well. God drat it, somehow Susie made it to the final 3 in Gabon, and not even as a Goat.

But it's very strange, because they've all obviously seen previous seasons, because they keep talking in Survivor strategy language. But really it's like those chimpanzees who saw humans rinsing their food off in water, and now they also wash all of their food in water. They're doing it, although they don't know why.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

blue squares posted:

I really don't understand what happened. Joe, Cole, Mike, and Desi voting Ben would have been 4 votes Ben and he would have been eliminated. Ben came to Mike and told him straight up that would happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor:_Heroes_vs._Healers_vs._Hustlers#Voting_history

This season is incomprehensible from a strategy and alliance perspective because we aren't being shown crucial information

Mike would have been in a bad position if he'd voted Ben out. The Healers would still be down 4-6, he might alienate Lauren, and he'd have lost a crucial ally that could save him from a Pagonging. Mike's best move at the moment is to wait for a crack; the problem is that I don't see Ryan/Devon/Chrissy breaking so early, so any mutiny would involve requiring Ben to swing Ashley and JP.

Man, I wish the other team had won the reward instead. As entertaining as watching Cole crash and burn yet again was, it'd have been nice to see Ashley and Desi get some screentime.

Also I think Joe sank even further in my eyes for trying to turn Ben's profession against him. Strategy or no, it's kinda messed up doing that to someone who still has some PTSD. Some of the cast members are incredibly cutthroat in a way that makes me uncomfortable; it's like the opposite of MvG where people were strategic but aware of how much was too much.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Is there a rule against suddenly yelling during an immunity challenge like that one? I feel like a well-placed shriek could have caused at least a few eliminations.

I want to know this, and also what would happen if a contestant stumbles off and crashes into another player and causes that person to fall. They don't seem like they're all that far apart from each other.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Mike is actually kind of killing it. Who else even remembers that he has an idol?

And the only other person who knew is out of the game, so he can truly stir some poo poo up if he plays this right.

Sad to see Desi go, she was super pretty.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

blue squares posted:

As ApplesandOranges said it makes sense for Mike to play it safe for now, stay in with Ben, and hope hes still around when the majority splits and has an idol to help assure it. The Healer plan had no real path to success. So he played the odds.

Cole presumably either was let in by Mike or just gave into the pressure from Ben. Which is dumb, but Cole.

Desi's Lauren vote is the real confusing one but presumably shell answer that in interviews today.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

Eh, Joe seems really ineffective. I keep saying this so maybe I'm just a hater but aside from working up Ben for what he admits is a sensitive subject for him he really hasn't manipulated anyone or done much in the game. The way Ashley and Chrissy were talking about him in Tribal and even Desi make it seem like he's more of a nuisance than a game threat. Desi's smart, great at the comps, and seemingly doesn't piss everyone off. So she's a bigger game threat. Joe's just better TV.
I'm really baffled by Joe in last week's episode, when the Yawa people are telling him they've got Lauren and Ben, and he's like, what the gently caress, we don't want Ben! Did Joe just prefer to be in the minority and have people around him get voted out? That seems kind of an uncharitable interpretation but I don't see what else he was hoping for. Did he think he could get Ashley and Devon?

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Fading into the background can make you a threat. Joe will flame out and isn't really a chaos threat other than idol hunting.
Idols are like one of the biggest things that can gently caress up your game when you're in power though :/

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 16, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

blue squares posted:

Looks like it would have been 4 Ben, 4 Desi, 2 Joe without having any Healers flipping. All 4 of the Desi votes were from the big alliance (they had the men vote for Desi: Ben, Devon, JP, Ryan). Mike and Cole mutinied to vote against Joe and then there was the random Lauren vote, making it 4-4-1-1, but the Healers never had a chance unless Mike was going to play his idol for Desi.

I figure Mike probably knew where the votes were going since he was brought in on it by Lauren and Ben. So they could have idoled out Ben and then tried to bring Lauren in, but that would still only make it 5-5. Instead he still has the idol and is bridging the gap between groups and staying safe. Probably for the best.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I don't understand why Desi decided to tie her game to being the lieutenant of an isolated player known to find idols, especially if they apparently didn't communicate enough to even vote for the same person in this episode. It seems like a lot of people have been hunting for extra votes so far, she could have dumped Joe earlier and gotten in with another group. Even Cole managed to sidle up with the group for this vote.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

Stop 👏 loving 👏 with 👏 the 👏 vote 👏 2017

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I am curious if anybody actually called out Jeff for being a vote short? I don't see how not a single person noticed they were short a vote! (obviously not aired)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I am curious if anybody actually called out Jeff for being a vote short? I don't see how not a single person noticed they were short a vote! (obviously not aired)

He said in his after show interview that he was hoping they would ask since that was part of the risk of using the advantage but no one really did. Also, the fact that he doesn't always read all the votes. In fact, he never does once someone is mathematically eliminated.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

The Bloop posted:

He said in his after show interview that he was hoping they would ask since that was part of the risk of using the advantage but no one really did. Also, the fact that he doesn't always read all the votes. In fact, he never does once someone is mathematically eliminated.

True that you could get away with it if someone had more votes than needed but this time Jeff specifically said “one vote left” so should have been clear if you kept count and knew how many there should be

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

I'm really baffled by Joe in last week's episode, when the Yawa people are telling him they've got Lauren and Ben, and he's like, what the gently caress, we don't want Ben! Did Joe just prefer to be in the minority and have people around him get voted out? That seems kind of an uncharitable interpretation but I don't see what else he was hoping for. Did he think he could get Ashley and Devon?

I think he's just a typical bad player who thinks he can come in and puppetmaster people. He's gotten his way because of an idol and tribe wins so he think he's been playing great. But most of the people on the island seem annoyed by him, his only real ally seemed to be Desi and she just kind of seemed resigned that she owed him and was stuck with him, and like he seemed to genuinely think Mike owed him something and didn't seem to know what to do when Mike was all "Dude, you told me you wanted me gone and I was on the bottom of the ladder." Joe just really didn't know he was playing badly until the Jessica blindside. And even then he played it as a "brilliant move" instead of a kind of natural one.

AdmiralViscen posted:

I don't understand why Desi decided to tie her game to being the lieutenant of an isolated player known to find idols, especially if they apparently didn't communicate enough to even vote for the same person in this episode. It seems like a lot of people have been hunting for extra votes so far, she could have dumped Joe earlier and gotten in with another group. Even Cole managed to sidle up with the group for this vote.

I don't think she had a lot of room to maneuver. The tribe swaps kind of just left her stuck with Joe and then she seemed to kind of feel indebted to him out of loyalty. But even if she wasn't she didn't seem capable of making any inways with anyone. Ultimately even if you play hindsight games the only thing she really could have done differently would be to abandon Joe after the tribe swap and try to build a relationship with Ashley and Devon. But Joe had the idol so that probably would have worked out the same way anyway.

Cole voted with the majority but that probably didn't accomplish anything for him. He was the #1 target before he won an immunity contest so the target's not going to get much smaller. He just doesn't make great decisions.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pinterest Mom posted:

Stop 👏 loving 👏 with 👏 the 👏 vote 👏 2017

If there’s one thing I want it’s to watch the first season over and over again for 34 more seasons. It’s so pure or some bullshit.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Random thought: Chrissy is so full of herself and her "amazing" game that I feel like they're setting us up for her to just get shredded by the jury at FTC, which she gets to because the people actually in charge are just letting her think she's running everything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think that's definitely one of the things we were all speculating about with her and Ryan after the Roarke/Ali evictions. Both she and Ryan showed a preponderance to piss people off on their way out the door. Maybe that costs you the game, but it also might just cost you the jury. Ryan's been able to lay back a bit since the merge and I think the attention is being taken off Chrissy by Ben, but she's definitely still doing the same stuff she was doing before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Joe staying in over Desi makes sense when you realise he's an annoying butthole with an inflated ego who would be great to sit next to FTC

• Locked thread