Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Megasabin posted:

My media PC's hard drive died so I'm temporarily streaming movies to my PS4 using Plex.

I've never fiddled with my PS4's sound before. I have a receiver with a 5.1 audio system hooked up. In terms of movies is there a way to guarantee it will use my 5.1 correctly? In the audio options menu should I have the PS4 audio set to Linear PCM, Dolby, or DTS? Should I change it depending on what the individual movie supports?

Your PS4 will decode pretty much anything that's thrown at it, and will send it to your receiver based on the settings you mention. Linear PCM is the best output format, if your receiver will handle it, or passthru if your receiver decodes all of the various fancy codecs these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Policenaut posted:

Go on, I was thinking of getting comrades as something to kill time with until MH World but if love to hear a real play impression.

It feels fine but will take hours to understand, superhandy things aren't explained but act more like puzzles, you will need to grind materials like in MH, kill in particular ways for more, find your flow. There's gil and there's energy, you expand the map, find treasures, NPCs, vendors, new camps and quests through laying the energy down on a grid and it's the whole continent of Eos or whatever it was. Netcode is fine, online play is fine, missions and hunts are better than the sidequests of FFXV. Other than the bugs I'm hooked for another 26 hours because then it's Skyrim VR time.

Give it three hours for a test. No idea how to play with friends but it seems to not work the way one wants.

Norns posted:

How long does it take to look like an anime wizard?

Character creation.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Norns posted:

How long does it take to look like an anime wizard?

How long does it take to turn your monitor off?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

MrLonghair posted:

If you want to relive the years of Korean grindathon MMOs, get FFXV Comrades. Oh my loving god.
This is an endorsement, right

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The Last of our trip reports:

So spring was beautiful. We finally came to SLCity. Another abandoned quarantine spelled infected trouble. First thing we saw was the herd though. Kind surreal and not unlike seeing the brachiosaurus in the first Jurassic park. It was oddly surreal. We struggled some to get to our destination, and one underpass was particularly tricky but thanks to my flamethrower, which I completely underestimated and never used before, I made a ton of mushroom stew and we managed to get through. Elli nearly drowned at one point but the Fireflies saved us. Unfortunately they were odd hosts, so I tried to politely decline their invitation to stay, which they didn't take well. I managed to make my way through the hospital and get a car for Ellis and me. Kept a couple of things from her to not rile her up, but I think she felt it. Lying to her face was probably the worst I ever did, but she wouldn't understand. I can't lose a daughter. Not again. Yet it feels like I already did...

Well that was a wild ride. I thought the last bit was too firefight heavy, but still worth it. Oddly enough I did not find even remotely enough pills and screws to upgrade everything, I guess that is what you do in NG+? I'll leave it for a while though, it feels like this kind of game needs to settle in your head. Definitely one of my all time favorites, soured a little but the repetitive firefight sequences. It seems like you've seen all variations of combat after summer and from then on it's just the same fights with a new weapon once in a while. The fact that silent takedowns out of sight of anyone will still make the patrols come towards where you killed a guy doesn't help. A silent takedown should be silent. But that's a minor complaint, it like the cover mechanic and noise distractions feature. I can't wait for part 2 to come out, even though I fear it won't live up to expectations, sequels rarely do, especially when the first installment is this good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Now play the multiplayer

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hopper posted:

The Last of our trip reports:

So spring was beautiful. We finally came to SLCity. Another abandoned quarantine spelled infected trouble. First thing we saw was the herd though. Kind surreal and not unlike seeing the brachiosaurus in the first Jurassic park. It was oddly surreal. We struggled some to get to our destination, and one underpass was particularly tricky but thanks to my flamethrower, which I completely underestimated and never used before, I made a ton of mushroom stew and we managed to get through. Elli nearly drowned at one point but the Fireflies saved us. Unfortunately they were odd hosts, so I tried to politely decline their invitation to stay, which they didn't take well. I managed to make my way through the hospital and get a car for Ellis and me. Kept a couple of things from her to not rile her up, but I think she felt it. Lying to her face was probably the worst I ever did, but she wouldn't understand. I can't lose a daughter. Not again. Yet it feels like I already did...

Well that was a wild ride. I thought the last bit was too firefight heavy, but still worth it. Oddly enough I did not find even remotely enough pills and screws to upgrade everything, I guess that is what you do in NG+? I'll leave it for a while though, it feels like this kind of game needs to settle in your head. Definitely one of my all time favorites, soured a little but the repetitive firefight sequences. It seems like you've seen all variations of combat after summer and from then on it's just the same fights with a new weapon once in a while. The fact that silent takedowns out of sight of anyone will still make the patrols come towards where you killed a guy doesn't help. A silent takedown should be silent. But that's a minor complaint, it like the cover mechanic and noise distractions feature. I can't wait for part 2 to come out, even though I fear it won't live up to expectations, sequels rarely do, especially when the first installment is this good.

Now watch the best videogame analysis EVER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNoslgGRRhA

veni veni veni posted:

Now play the multiplayer

Oh yeah, tlou Fridays baby!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Harlock posted:

This is an endorsement, right

For those in need to murder time.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I didn’t even make it halfway through FFXV (I liked the game just got distracted) and Comrades is calling to me...

Warframe’Plains of Eidolon area (on Pro) runs sub-optimally and has screen tearing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Now watch the best videogame analysis EVER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNoslgGRRhA

Oh yeah, tlou Fridays baby!

I am down for this!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Coincidentally I tried to get back into Warframe a few days ago because I was all done with Destiny 2 until the expansion. I'd only played it briefly when the PS4 launched and I thought it looked cool then, but I couldn't even finish the tutorial missions this time. Something about it just feels really weird and floaty.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I traded Destiny 2 in... fool me twice.
Someone remind me in this thread about it being boring after a week if I ever mention buying expansions or 2019's inevitable Destiny 3

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was all ready to throw myself into my (Japanese) Destiny 2 clan and work together on raids and everything, but then everyone just stopped playing, and I did too.

Also PSO2 has slowly gone to poo poo over years and I'm left with no online games that I had any feeling of community in.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah the Destiny discord dropped off hard. So either people are ashamed to admit they got Battefront or more likely everyone has hit max light and yeah there really isn’t anything to do

I mean I don’t think anyone actually places crucible just for the sake of playing crucible

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was all ready to throw myself into my (Japanese) Destiny 2 clan and work together on raids and everything, but then everyone just stopped playing, and I did too.

Also PSO2 has slowly gone to poo poo over years and I'm left with no online games that I had any feeling of community in.

monhun in two months........

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I liked Destiny 2 a whole lot. Between them explaining everything so things lack mystery for people to grind and figure out, and the ease at which you can hit cap, it’s just a “wait for new content” game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fuzz posted:

I am down for this!

Okay, well share your details with Veni Veni Veni. He plays with Snak recently, and we've got perpetual crossover with some of my friends who are down for Factions often, fridays/thursdays and sometimes tuesdays.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah the Destiny discord dropped off hard. So either people are ashamed to admit they got Battefront or more likely everyone has hit max light and yeah there really isn’t anything to do

I mean I don’t think anyone actually places crucible just for the sake of playing crucible

I didn’t hit max light, but I reached a point where most of the game rewards are low light loot and I’m wishing I hadn’t gone digital so I could get some of my money back.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Feenix posted:

I liked Destiny 2 a whole lot. Between them explaining everything so things lack mystery for people to grind and figure out, and the ease at which you can hit cap, it’s just a “wait for new content” game.

Oh yeah I mean honestly I’m not complaining. Grinding the same strikes over and over in D1 sucked. It’s nice to have poo poo thrown at you consistently. I wish they had released more of a game instead of dicing it up for DLC but I mean that wasn’t really a surprise

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I didn’t hit max light, but I reached a point where most of the game rewards are low light loot and I’m wishing I hadn’t gone digital so I could get some of my money back.

lol a bit dramatic why you’re just going to get it again in a year bundled with whatever DLC or whatever they add

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Finished Uncharted: Lost Legacy and I think overall I prefer it to UC4, even though its story is pretty reliant on having played 4.

Mini review

- much better pacing than UC4 with less heavy-handed drama, though LL is heavily indebted to the gameplay themes of UC2 and several other 'greatest hits moments'. Great deal for 40 bucks if you'll be playing multiplayer, and I would say the story is more replayable than UC4. I still miss the Story-based co-op missions from UC2 though.

- LL narrative is pretty boilerplate overall but the supporting players like Asav and ???? are decently engaging when they're on screen

- The thing that stuck out most to me is how good the melee combat tech for LL is, it feels like a direct testbed for melee stuff that they'll be adding to TLOUpt2

- Incredible, grand, awesome environment design with callbacks to UC1 and UC2, marred by a lack of polish on small things like streams and mud tech. Overall it makes me both appreciative of how talented Naughty Dog is at churning out amazing looking/playing games on a regular basis...but also how ahead of its time UC2 was.

- the whole idea that the Uncharted formula is getting stale so let's do it over but with girls this time! seems incredibly cynical to me, but I also don't think the chemistry between Chloe and Nadine is very convincing. I liked Chloe in 2 and 3, but LL seems like a significant pivot away from the writing of her character in those games, probably due to Hennig's departure. Though UC3 was the last game in the series that I was able to emotionally connect with on any level, and Hennig's involvement is sorely missed in this series since both UC4 and LL lack a bit of soul.

- Nadine is awesome help when in combat, but seriously gets in the way all the time during platforming. This is especially irksome in the last level, which looks amazing but plays way worse than the version which inspired it in UC2.

- overall very fun poo poo, and makes me feel confident that Naughty Dog is handling their studio personnel transitions well. I'm so excited to play TLOU2, but I also hope TLOU2 and Lost Legacy are the last we see of either series.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Oh yeah I mean honestly I’m not complaining. Grinding the same strikes over and over in D1 sucked. It’s nice to have poo poo thrown at you consistently. I wish they had released more of a game instead of dicing it up for DLC but I mean that wasn’t really a surprise

lol a bit dramatic why you’re just going to get it again in a year bundled with whatever DLC or whatever they add

Now that it’s clear Bungie are pulling the exact same poo poo as the first game probably not. (I wasn’t burned by Destiny 1 because I didn’t buy at launch.)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

not even gonna give them more internet traffic

but, uh, cultural appropriation in H:ZD

if ya really need the link

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/11/horizon-zero-dawni-dlc-the-frozen-wilds-uncomforta.html

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 16, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm the implication that Native is a singular culture, like Scandinavian

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

"not the most qualified"
"casual glance"
"seems to"

If she doesn't have confidence in her opinion then I sure as hell don't.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Pictured, someone who actually didn't play Horizon: Zero Dawn.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

if ya really need the link

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/11/horizon-zero-dawni-dlc-the-frozen-wilds-uncomforta.html

I like how the second sentence in these is usually "as a white..."

The conversation around cultural appropriation has become so stupid and nonsensical that it really draws attention away from actual offensive poo poo. The "you can't enjoy or draw inspiration from any culture in any capacity" people are such grade A morons.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If you're an artist and you don't take inspiration solely from your own racial and cultural heritage, you're a thief.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

There many articles explaining the actual problems with cultural appropriation you could read instead of fighting straw men amongst yourself, but you don't actually care what they have to say or you would have already read any of the 1000 pieces that have been written

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
PS4 Tomb Raider still owns bones. Love the way the combat feels, the setting, level design, the propulsive action. The whiplash of Lara turning into a stone-cold killer and her repeated grievous injuries still don't work but the rest does.

It's too bad Rise felt like such a disappointment to me. The controls weren't as tight, Lara sucked, the story sucked, the setting sucked. Hopefully the 3rd game (assuming there is one) gets back on track.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I shot a trex with its own gun in the racist game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

inferis posted:

There many articles explaining the actual problems with cultural appropriation you could read instead of fighting straw men amongst yourself, but you don't actually care what they have to say or you would have already read any of the 1000 pieces that have been written

I don't think you read a single thing anyone posted, but thanks for the weird knee jerk rage post you popped in to fire off I guess.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

inferis posted:

is there an article that makes a case for horizon being culturally appropriative beyond 'there's some native influence' though, preferably written by an actual native american?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

el oso posted:

PS4 Tomb Raider still owns bones. Love the way the combat feels, the setting, level design, the propulsive action. The whiplash of Lara turning into a stone-cold killer and her repeated grievous injuries still don't work but the rest does.

It's too bad Rise felt like such a disappointment to me. The controls weren't as tight, Lara sucked, the story sucked, the setting sucked. Hopefully the 3rd game (assuming there is one) gets back on track.

Felt about the same, the encounters were way more tame and boring. That witch dlc was the only cool part imo

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it here yet but Marvel Heroes is shutting down. No ETA given yet but I've read that this company usually gives a month's notice in advance. I liked this game and it sucks that it's shutting down but at least they're giving players some time to fool around! They lowered the prices on every Hero and costume for said hero to the absolute bare minimum in-game currency used to unlock them (1 shard, and you earn 1 every five minutes of play give-or-take) so you can at least fumble around and try out every character and see all their exclusive costumes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's a shame but it does free up some space

e: lol I still had paladins downloaded for some reason

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 16, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it here yet but Marvel Heroes is shutting down. No ETA given yet but I've read that this company usually gives a month's notice in advance. I liked this game and it sucks that it's shutting down but at least they're giving players some time to fool around! They lowered the prices on every Hero and costume for said hero to the absolute bare minimum in-game currency used to unlock them (1 shard, and you earn 1 every five minutes of play give-or-take) so you can at least fumble around and try out every character and see all their exclusive costumes.

lmao, that's about six months faster than i was expecting

maybe ignoring the pc version for like a year and gambling your last chance on a mediocre console port wasn't the wisest move on gaz's part

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Policenaut posted:

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it here yet but Marvel Heroes is shutting down. No ETA given yet

December 31.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh I just learned about it a little while ago but it's good to have a date! I'd been stalling on getting 2 more heroes to Lv. 50 and finishing the Legendary Item to Level 5 so I'll hunker down and knock those out before the end of the year. Thanks for the heads up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The dumbest part of these cultural appropriation articles is when you ask the author “ok but what tribe specifically am I ripping off” and then they stammer as they are confronted with the racist idea that all natives look the same to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's just attention craving writers looking for woke internet points. It doesn't sound like she's convinced of it herself, or has even started to come to a conclusion on why it's bad other than liberally using the word "theft". It's basically a way to try and get more than 2 people to read a Paste review of some DLC.