Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't watch Stargate Universe.

They actually poked fun at the concept a few years earlier on SG-1 before going ahead and making it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd23slMhWQU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Phanatic posted:

That's not what he meant by ratings. He meant ratings in the sense of "how many people watch a show," not "how good the people who watch a show think it is."

Welp, i always thought "rating" meant how a tv show scored, not how many people watch it.

I'll excuse myself with the fact that i am not a native english speaker.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ineptitude posted:

Welp, i always thought "rating" meant how a tv show scored, not how many people watch it.

Your command of English is more than presidential.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The only problem with Universe once past the weak beginning was they didn't commit to their premise. They shouldn't have had the Ancient bodyswap stones and were instead 100% cut off from Earth.

E: Also none of the other enemies worked anywhere near as well as the Goa'uld and the cool history stuff, and the increasing obsession with the Ancients was boring. The only other cool recurring dudes were O'Brien's planet of atomic assholes.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 15, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Ineptitude posted:

Rating is generally used in the context of good/bad scale. In the televison world, ratings refers to the Nielsen ratings, which was a company that used to measure how many people watched a show.

You are actually correct, except in this one industry specific context. As a counterexample, nobody would use "movie ratings" to refer to movie viewing numbers, that would refer to the god/bad reviews.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Universe is complete garbage, and nothing like the other two Stargate series. Start with SG-1, if you really enjoy it, give Atlantis a try, and if you're a masochist who hates good things, start up Universe.

Grand Fromage posted:

The only problem with Universe once past the weak beginning was they didn't commit to their premise. They shouldn't have had the Ancient bodyswap stones and were instead 100% cut off from Earth.

E: Also none of the other enemies worked anywhere near as well as the Goa'uld and the cool history stuff, and the increasing obsession with the Ancients was boring. The only other cool recurring dudes were O'Brien's planet of atomic assholes.

Mu Zeta posted:

Don't watch Stargate Universe.

They actually poked fun at the concept a few years earlier on SG-1 before going ahead and making it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd23slMhWQU

drat, really surprised by all of the SGU hate. Tonally and visually, it is extremely similar to BSG/Expanse, so if you're in this thread there is a better-than-zero chance you will enjoy it. As for the other Stargate shows, they are all Good and Fun, but SG1 is from a very different era of television, and the sfx on Atlantis are getting pretty dated. If either of those are dealbreakers, you probably wont enjoy the shows. SG1 is extremely episodic, but gets a little more serial towards the latter seasons. Atlantis is also fairly episodic, but much more plotty within seasons and with overall arcs.

Personally, I liked the characters on SG1 more, but thought the stories were better on Atlantis. SGU was the most :airquote: realistic :airquote: of the Stargate series, but I (and I think alot of people) didn't give it a fair shake when it came out because SyFy had obviously cancelled BSG and Atlantis because they had big, expensive casts and SGU was just cheaper to make.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The tone of universe was all wrong and it was scarcely believable it was in the same continuity as the two other Stargate shows.

I'm still recovering from the pilot's tonal whiplash where they had existing characters hand off to the SUPER SERIOUS new crew. It was like watching two different franchises mashed together.

Other than that, its worse offense was that it was boring.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bull3964 posted:

The tone of universe was all wrong and it was scarcely believable it was in the same continuity as the two other Stargate shows.

I think this is the real reason. They completely misjudged their target audience.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I liked SGU, but I also watched it without having seen any other Stargates. Now that I have I can see how different it was. I haven't rewatched it yet to compare. I do think it started weak, regardless, and got good the second season.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Proteus Jones posted:

I think this is the real reason. They completely misjudged their target audience.

It also really was just boring and badly made. Didn't every other episode end with a montage also. I liked the main rear end in a top hat doctor guy but that's all.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Atlantis had this

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That girl is also a major character in Dark Matter.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

That girl is also a major character in Dark Matter.

Holy gently caress. I never realized she was 5 until just now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Sammus posted:

Holy gently caress. I never realized she was 5 until just now.

:psyboom:

And she was in SG1 and was the voice of a little sister in Bioshock 2 and was the dead girl in the Dead Like Me pilot????

B-A-N-A-N-A-S

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:psyboom:

And she was in SG1 and was the voice of a little sister in Bioshock 2 and was the dead girl in the Dead Like Me pilot????

B-A-N-A-N-A-S

Actors gonna act.

Speaking of, I've been enjoying periodically seeing actors I recognize from The Expanse (all Canadian, of course) appearing in the also-Canadian Dark Matter. E.g. UN Science Jerk Colonel Janus, the leader of the rebelling space workers from the Anderson Station flashback, and at least one other actor I can't recall, all had single-episode parts.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Countdown til Roger Cross shows up in Expanse.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

bitprophet posted:

Actors gonna act.

Speaking of, I've been enjoying periodically seeing actors I recognize from The Expanse (all Canadian, of course) appearing in the also-Canadian Dark Matter. E.g. UN Science Jerk Colonel Janus, the leader of the rebelling space workers from the Anderson Station flashback, and at least one other actor I can't recall, all had single-episode parts.

Half the fun of watching shows that use Canadian actors is playing "recognize that actor (gender neutral)" and then "six degrees of the CBC".

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Half the fun of watching shows that use Canadian actors is playing "recognize that actor (gender neutral)" and then "six degrees of the CBC".

Similarly, "spot the BSG Canadian". Michael Hogan is in everything.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kazinsal posted:

Similarly, "spot the BSG Canadian". Michael Hogan is in everything.

I had to look him up because i don't know Canadian actor names that well, and I got a chuckle out of the url for the wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hogan_(Canadian_actor)

It's not like there's some other American actor and they needed to differentiate between the two or anything, nah Canadian Actor is just a totally different job than Actor I guess.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

counterfeitsaint posted:

I had to look him up because i don't know Canadian actor names that well, and I got a chuckle out of the url for the wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hogan_(Canadian_actor)

It's not like there's some other American actor and they needed to differentiate between the two or anything, nah Canadian Actor is just a totally different job than Actor I guess.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1236766

Dancer
May 23, 2011
For me it's been giving me a lot of flashbacks to this obscure but pretty great hard sci-fi Canadian show ReGenesis. Martian captain dude was the main character, with Donnager's second-in-command and bald guy on the Earther science vessel also being major characters, as long as a bunch of other minor ones.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Oh weird, nm them. That Michael Hogan doesn't have a Wikipedia page at all though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

To be fair, Michael Hogan is extremely Canadian.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Dancer posted:

For me it's been giving me a lot of flashbacks to this obscure but pretty great hard sci-fi Canadian show ReGenesis. Martian captain dude was the main character, with Donnager's second-in-command and bald guy on the Earther science vessel also being major characters, as long as a bunch of other minor ones.

Checking it out now, free on Amazon prime for anyone interested. Why TF is the drat intro 1:30+ though?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Error 404 posted:

Countdown til Roger Cross shows up in Expanse.
The article announcing his role gives the episode number away.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

dog nougat posted:

Checking it out now, free on Amazon prime for anyone interested. Why TF is the drat intro 1:30+ though?

The show had pretty great musical direction, and they had a podcast about it for the first two seasons; I guess they got a little bit too proud about it.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

bitprophet posted:

Actors gonna act.

Best thing was the couple running Kim’s convenience store making an appearance as scientist coworkers in Dark Matter. What a career!

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

The lady who plays Avarsarala is in The Punisher. :neckbeard:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sammus posted:

The lady who plays Avarsarala is in The Punisher. :neckbeard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1kK7uNdCpE

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The preview chapter(s) of book 7 present some difficulty in doing a faithful TV adaptation in the unlikely event they get that far.

https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/titles/james-s-a-corey/persepolis-rising/9780316332835/

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Syzygy Stardust posted:

The preview chapter(s) of book 7 present some difficulty in doing a faithful TV adaptation in the unlikely event they get that far.

https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/titles/james-s-a-corey/persepolis-rising/9780316332835/
Convenient, it would probably be about 30 years before they got to it anyway. :v:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
A thirty year time gap? Uhhh... Okay?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Does anyone know if Amazon has a UHD version of season two? I only have the season one UHD on my list because a goon linked it way back when. It's super hard to find any UHD stuff on prime.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, at least not yet.

UHD was never available for purchase, only on Prime. When Season 2 hits prime (likely soon), I would expect it to show up in UHD.

InstantWatcher is the best way to find content in prime. Search and then add it to your watch list.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Any news on the Season 2 soundtrack? I'd really like to get my hands on that piece from when Miller meets Julie.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
toot toot

https://twitter.com/Mi55Tipper/status/939034183384498177

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Hoping we don't have to wait too long...they've probably almost finished post on the first part of the season, right? :ohdear:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can't wait to see the apprentice FX guy's humdinger this season. There's always one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who is the actor on the left?

e: oh if you view the tweet on the Twitter site it has tags of the actors

https://twitter.com/CaraGeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Who is the actor on the left?

e: oh if you view the tweet on the Twitter site it has tags of the actors

https://twitter.com/CaraGeeeee

she's the Tycho second in command with the weird belter accent. officer in charge of the cargo container assault.

• Locked thread