Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

Usually, it's "save Four and you get a new pilot". The only time you can't save Four is Super Robot Wars Destiny (or SRW D, for shorthand). That's because a lot of Zeta's plot played out like in the show prior to the start of the game and Four is very much super dead at the outset. However, Zeta Gundam overall has some issues mostly because a lot of the time, Zeta is there but with only a few bits of plot or with only a small fraction of the cast (usually Kamille/Fa/Four/Quattro/maybe one or two more people like Emma or Rosamia). As a result, Zeta Gundam unfortunately winds up padding out the roster and to have a well established part of the Gundam franchise represented in the game. With Z1's release, SRW has switched to the A New Translation movies for the most part, and Z1 is where we have the most of Zeta's plot since it forms part of the backbone for the game. Also, get used to hearing the same three or four insert BGMs from the show over and over again, because of the rights issues to the TV show's OP themes. And because Gackt's music from ANT is...I'm guessing too expensive or some bullshit like that.

If you want to see more, here's Brunom1's LP of MX (post-plot Zeta, Kamille has suffered the brain trauma from the TV show, but got better) and his joint LP of the first Z game with Dr Pepper and Caphi, where A New Translation gets played out relatively in full as mentioned above. Or you can check out Tobias Grant's LP of Alpha Gaiden, where the Titans are essentially the villains of the game's first major arc (which lasts about 9 stages, though).

Sweet, thank you. I love AU stuff like this. One reason I gotta look into those Gihren's Greed games more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also in SRWV it's postplot and Athrun and Shinn get deployed to Cross Ange's Arzenal.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I know in one of the Super Robot Wars games that involves a Gundam plot your characters are supposed to protect General Rival and Degwin Zabi's peace conference. So as a result you save Degwin and Zeon splinters.
I think that was...64? I know that 64 is the game where you get a route split choice to join up with Trieze's faction...at the cost of permanently losing Wufei.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

I think that was...64? I know that 64 is the game where you get a route split choice to join up with Trieze's faction...at the cost of permanently losing Wufei.

I feel like 'choice' is a strong word there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

Also in SRWV it's postplot and Athrun and Shinn get deployed to Cross Ange's Arzenal.

Oh god, why is that a thing? :barf:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh god, why is that a thing? :barf:

Because it's loving hilarious. Shinn spends the entire time talking about how much he hates everything about what's happening.

Cross Ange is terrible but it actually ends up being a fun SRW inclusion if just for literally everyone dunking on Embryo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chumbler posted:

I feel like 'choice' is a strong word there.

I feel "cost" is also an odd choice. Losing Wufei is more of a benefit.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Speaking of Wufei, I just picked up the 3rd vol of the official English release of Glory of Losers. The changes it makes to the New Edwards base fiasco are completely my jam. The opening color plates for the Maganac Corps suits are also pretty sweet

Wufei is still the worst though.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

The GIG posted:

Please look forward to Gundam Frank with new characters Craps Snakeeyes and Dynamo Volkswagen.

VOLKSWAGEN: Craps Snakeeyes is it? You better remember the name Dynamo Volkswagen if you bring that sorry excuse for a mobile suit to another fight with me!

CRAPS: Dynamo Volkswagen...

VOLKSWAGEN: Heh, Craps Snakeeyes huh?

[bridge interior, CAPTAIN SOLITAIRE peers at the tactical overlay]

SOLITAIRE: Dynamo Volkswagen and Craps Snakeeyes...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Out of curiosity, who is the least popular Wing Boy? Sure Wufei gets poo poo on a lot but nobody really talks about Quatre. Isn't that even worse?

I do remember people nonstop making GBS threads on Quatre's Gundam though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Out of curiosity, who is the least popular Wing Boy? Sure Wufei gets poo poo on a lot but nobody really talks about Quatre. Isn't that even worse?

I do remember people nonstop making GBS threads on Quatre's Gundam though.

It's Quatre. When a popularity poll was ran during Wing's manga run he didn't even place.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Quatre is definitely way more popular. If only because of people who ship him and Trowa.

Edit: Huh. Shows what I know, then.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked the sandrock in endless waltz

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
It also probably depends on if you're polling Japanese or Western fans as well. Wufei is a lot more popular in Japanese Wing fandom than in Western fandom iirc. Duo is definitely the most popular Wing boy by far in both fandoms though.

Edit: it also changes depending on which segment of fandom you poll. A large portion of the English speaking female Wing audience definitely was more focused on what you shipped rather than individual characters when it came to the male characters back in the day.

Tulalip Tulips fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 15, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Man I sit down thinking I'll play just a match or two of Versus (against the AI because I'm a scrub) and then suddenly it's an hour later somehow. Finding the ones that click is great, and for me it's been Tallgeese I and Emma's Mk. II so far. I still really want Destiny and 00 Raiser, though.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 15, 2017

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I've come to absolutely adore playing backline support as Buster. Still get Shiki rounds in every now and then, and the Midnight Fenrir Zaku I is probably gonna be an immediate buy in two weeks.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The destiny is always super fun in any versus game it's in and I'm baffled that it didn't make the roster this time around.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Monaghan posted:

The destiny is always super fun in any versus game it's in and I'm baffled that it didn't make the roster this time around.

versus seems to be doing some kinda no sequels thing (with the exception of UC). No Seed Destiny, no 00 S2, no Endless Waltz.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

versus seems to be doing some kinda no sequels thing (with the exception of UC). No Seed Destiny, no 00 S2, no Endless Waltz.

I'm betting on a year long DLC schedule.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
AND NO G :argh:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Gaia Gear available in English? Those suit designs look incredible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is Gaia Gear available in English? Those suit designs look incredible.

There's a fan translation of the Radio Drama up on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk34CGYxyvE

The soundtrack is top tier.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Droyer posted:

They do have s2 ibo.

But no lupus rex. :(

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Poopus Wrecks

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Midjack posted:

I'm betting on a year long DLC schedule.

Full Boost was getting DLC suits up to a few months before Versus came out.

They're gonna be going at it for years.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

:perfect:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Full Boost was getting DLC suits up to a few months before Versus came out.

They're gonna be going at it for years.

Definitely extends the lifespan, which is pretty important for a game so heavily based around online PVP.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

been watching aldnoah zero and it's kinda funny to me that the bad guys refer to the mc's lovely training mech in the same way zeon did amuro's gundam

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
What the Psycho Gundam so big

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Finally finished Turn A. It’s extremely good. I struggle to think of any more coherent and well paced Tomino show, and all of the characters have obvious lives and goals beyond their political affiliations. The last sequence of episodes really sells the impact of the show. I wish they would have left time for a full epilogue episode.

That said, it did take me months to get through because there are some boring sections. Gym is a cool antagonist, but I never really understood if he had a philosophy beyond “I love to fight and you should too.” The fate of humanity stuff fell a little flat for me after the more grounded colonization stuff of the first half. It’s a very touching ending to the UC. Sochie deserved better. Loran was surprisingly ineffectual.

I think Turn A is objectively a better show than Zeta, but Zeta is still my favorite.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
So this is what its like to have a newtype connection with someone.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Fact: Merrybell is 10x worse than Katz

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

brainwrinkle posted:

Fact:Sochie is 10x worse than Katz

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I always thought Gym was interesting in a meta way since he's basically the worst kind of mecha fan as a military supreme commander. But as an actual in plot villain he mostly just has being a massive ham on his side.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

Fact: Merrybell is 10x worse than Katz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aKeU2NqWrE&t=45s

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sochie is only awful some of the time, which makes her much, much better than Katz.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dulkor posted:

I always thought Gym was interesting in a meta way since he's basically the worst kind of mecha fan as a military supreme commander. But as an actual in plot villain he mostly just has being a massive ham on his side.

Yeah, Gym’s whole thing is that he is just the biggest, grossest Gundam weeb, a spoiled brat who’s been isolated from reality playing video games and watching anime for so long that he’s lost all sense of empathy. He’s not stupid, per se, and knows how to pull basic social levers to get what he wants, but he treats other human beings like in-game achievements and points on a scoreboard, or characters in a show who will die for his entertainment.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
TranZ-oo :allears: