Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Incredible! Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Has Batman ever said "gently caress"?

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Sinners Sandwich posted:

God I hope so!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Only in every Frank Miller comic ever not published.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The goddamned Batman cusses a lot in All-Star Batman & Robin but only the loving BATGIRL gets to say the biggest cuss word in that book, poorly censored.

Perhaps inspired by that, Scott Snyder seems to be having Batman cuss a lot in his All-Star Batman run (and I think in Metal? I forget, they've blurred together) but any real bad cussword in those issues is all grawlix so he might have said "THIS WHOLE PLAN IS $*#(@ED!" or something, which may not satisfy your Cussin' Crusader needs.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Edge & Christian posted:

The goddamned Batman cusses a lot in All-Star Batman & Robin but only the loving BATGIRL gets to say the biggest cuss word in that book, poorly censored.

Was that the one where they printed gently caress before printing a black box on top in a different shade of black? Because they needed to know how large the box needed to be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What came first, the movie The Terminator or calling him Deathstroke, the Terminator?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

muscles like this! posted:

What came first, the movie The Terminator or calling him Deathstroke, the Terminator?

Deathstroke the Terminator is from 1980, so he predates the movie.

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008

Uthor posted:

Was that the one where they printed gently caress before printing a black box on top in a different shade of black? Because they needed to know how large the box needed to be.

The dude from my LCS actually let me have a copy of the version that was supposed to be sent back or trashed. There were definitely a few visible "oval office"s in there too, the entire thing was filled with those black boxes.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mr. Glum posted:

There were definitely a few visible "oval office"s in there too, the entire thing was filled with those black boxes.

The biggest being in the Written By credits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CzarChasm posted:

The biggest being in the Written By credits.

:iceburn:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What are people's thoughts on Armor Wars and Evolutionary War?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bessantj posted:

I liked them both quite a lot when they happened. I like to think Armor Wars has held up reasonably well.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Batman's Shameful Secret is actually that he has never said "gently caress".

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

irlZaphod posted:

Batman's Shameful Secret is actually that he has never said "gently caress".

His shameful secret is that he has. Furtively, under his breath, after carefully looking around to make sure no one was around. Followed by nervous giggling.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Batman yells swears into the dinosaur's mouth when he thinks no one is around. It's lined with lead, so even Superman can't hear them.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
One time Superman said “poppycock” when no one was around and it haunts him to this day.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bessantj posted:

Armor Wars is good but if you have access to the issues, start earlier in the run because Iron Man had a good creative team back then. Wikipedia doesn't agree with me qualitiatively, but it also gives you a heads-up about seeing how the story really begins:

"Wikipedia posted:

The storyline ran through Iron Man (Vol. 1) #225 (December 1987) to #231 (June 1988), plotted by David Michelinie and Bob Layton with art by Mark Bright, though much of the groundwork for the story itself occurred during Iron Man #219-224.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm convinced that Batman whispers "gently caress" every time Red Hood shows up.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

prefect posted:

I liked them both quite a lot when they happened. I like to think Armor Wars has held up reasonably well.

Lobok posted:

Armor Wars is good but if you have access to the issues, start earlier in the run because Iron Man had a good creative team back then. Wikipedia doesn't agree with me qualitiatively, but it also gives you a heads-up about seeing how the story really begins:

That's great thanks. I'd started to read Armor Wars but quickly went back and read #219-224, it definitely adds to the story.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bessantj posted:

That's great thanks. I'd started to read Armor Wars but quickly went back and read #219-224, it definitely adds to the story.

The very end of Armor Wars debuts an IM suit that I liked a whole lot. The red-and-silver thing could look terrible depending who was drawing it. Too bulletheaded.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

So what's the word on New 52 Superman/Action comics? I've decided to start making my way backwards through Superman stuff and I'm all caught up on Rebirth. I know N52 was pretty rocky for the most part, but is any of the Superman stuff worth reading in retrospect?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

JordanKai posted:

So what's the word on New 52 Superman/Action comics? I've decided to start making my way backwards through Superman stuff and I'm all caught up on Rebirth. I know N52 was pretty rocky for the most part, but is any of the Superman stuff worth reading in retrospect?
The Morrison run was certainly unique and interesting -- it went too far out of my comfort zone to call it good Superman stuff personally, but I know it has fans -- and that one issue where he's depowered and stops a robbery anyway is probably an instantly iconic Superman moment, judging from how Supergirl did it almost line-for-line. gently caress the rest of it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

JordanKai posted:

I liked New 52 Superman a lot more than I thought I would, but yeah, it craps out fast once Morrison leaves the book.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Selachian posted:

it craps out fast once Morrison leaves the book.

Evergreen post.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

Do not read anything by Scott Lobdell. Geoff Johns' run was pretty good (and hey it ends with what turns out to be setting up Rebirth I guess because Mr. Oz shows up to be cryptic). Other than that it's a mixed bag, and it'll just be up to your tastes. I remember that a lot of people liked the "Superdoom" story as one of those ideas that sounds dumb as poo poo on paper but in execution is really fun (in a dumb way).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

TwoPair posted:

Do not read anything by Scott Lobdell.

Squizzle posted:

Evergreen post.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

bessantj posted:

The cover of the last issue of Armor Wars is awesome.

The only Evolutionary War crossover I read was the ALF one. So, I guess I liked it?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So fun thing that everything forgets about the Armour Wars.
That's not the name of the story. The actual in comic name of Armour Wars, one of the best Ironman stories is called Stark Wars.

Because writers David Michellen and Bob Layton love them some cheap puns.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I asked this in TVIV, but here might be better.

In the Punisher Netflix show, there's a dude called Microchip/Micro. I know he's a Punisher ally, but was he the one that made Frank the infamous 'gun that shoots knives'?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure the Gun That Shoots Swords was made by Stuart Clarke, who also made a lot of Frank's other specialized weapons.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Did people really like the various comics where the Punisher kills everyone else in the Marvel Universe? Are any of them critically regarded anywhere above garbage level? How many times has he done that?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Eh. The original what if was decent cuz it makes supers responsible for the death of castles family so at least there's a reason and it ends with everyone getting nuked on the moon I mean how can you not laugh at that.

The second one where it's just a marvel zombies thing was pretty lame tho

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Selachian posted:

I'm pretty sure the Gun That Shoots Swords was made by Stuart Clarke, who also made a lot of Frank's other specialized weapons.

Hey, thanks. I don't know that much about Punisher in the comics (and remember Micro in Punisher War Zone being his 'weapons/armor guy')

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for the advice on Armor Wars I'm glad I went through it.

A lot of super villain groups have very unsubtle names Legion of Doom, Injustice League, Brotherhood of Evil Mutants etc... and I get why. But have their been any super villain groups that buck that trend? (Not counting things like A.I.M. or Hydra which are mostly civilians.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The Light. Not comics but in the Parker books the organization that was basically the mob went by The Organization. Actually, Darwin Cooke made some Parker comics, so that counts.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

bessantj posted:

Thanks for the advice on Armor Wars I'm glad I went through it.

A lot of super villain groups have very unsubtle names Legion of Doom, Injustice League, Brotherhood of Evil Mutants etc... and I get why. But have their been any super villain groups that buck that trend? (Not counting things like A.I.M. or Hydra which are mostly civilians.)

In Runaways, their parents were part of a group called The Pride.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
It took me forever to understand why the mobsters in Marvel New York were in "the Maggia". :downs:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

The Light.

Is that the same Light that was in the Young Justice show?

Jedi posted:

In Runaways, their parents were part of a group called The Pride.

Did they have super powers? I'm not up on the Runaways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Wasn't the Light the secret organisation is Batman Dark City? Come to think of it Gotham is pretty much run by about a dozen secret organisations.