Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Your info is wrong because you are fixating on irrelevant details and are so very proud of them, when those details are not holding back cryptocurrency acceptance, they just don't fit into your existing financial models and understanding. That's a limitation on your end. Cryptocurrencies are useful to people, and are growing more useful

This is your reason for believing bitcoin is a ponzi scheme, and oddly enough, millions of people around the world including hedge fund managers disagree. I get that you firmly and utterly believe this. And I firmly and utterly believe you are wrong, and it will become super obvious soon that you are wrong.

No, the number of people buying, using, and trading cryptocurrencies keeps going up and that is increasing their price. I find it very odd how often cryptocurrency detractors look at the increasing price and declare it as a scam, and I truly wonder if they are this limited or just peddling a narrative. Cryptocurrencies are increasing in price due to increased adoption and usage in transactions, which you completely handwave away as a sign of them being a scam. That argument is bunk and so is your reasoning, so I just figure it will become super obvious to you too as more and more people use cryptocurrencies for more and more things.

Explain how Bitcoin makes money, because the fact that it does not is why it is a scam

You cannot, as it doesn't, and you have still failed to answer this in any way whatsoever, and will continue to not answer it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

Explain how Bitcoin makes money, because the fact that it does not is why it is a scam

You cannot, as it doesn't, and you have still failed to answer this in any way whatsoever, and will continue to not answer it

People are using cryptocurrencies because they are useful for transactions, that's the loving end of it. What is this poo poo about how bitcoin makes money? People use cryptocurrencies to do transactions! And more and more people are using them for that purpose, which is increasing their price.

I hope you can manage to read these few sentences and understand the words contained in them.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Stop making poo poo up dude, if you're too dumb to understand my responses that doesn't mean its not a response, it means you can't read and/or parse other people's posts and respond aggressively instead

I'm not making things up, you're literally refusing to answer questions

Answering a question that I did not ask and acting like I did is not answering an actual question: How do Bitcoins make money, and how can they ever have more money in the system available for withdrawal than has been put into them

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

I'm not making things up, you're literally refusing to answer questions

Answering a question that I did not ask and acting like I did is not answering an actual question: How do Bitcoins make money, and how can they ever have more money in the system available for withdrawal than has been put into them

Who the gently caress said Bitcoins "make money"? Where did you come up with this poo poo? I don't even understand what you mean. When did that enter the discussion?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

People are using cryptocurrencies because they are useful for transactions, that's the loving end of it. What is this poo poo about how bitcoin makes money? People use cryptocurrencies to do transactions! And more and more people are using them for that purpose, which is increasing their price.

I hope you can manage to read these 3 sentences and understand the words contained in them.

That is not an answer to the question

It is not that I do not understand your words, it is that your words do nothing to answer the question being asked

The answer to the question, you simpering retard, is "They do not make money, forums poster Blade Runner. You cannot possibly withdraw more more money than has been put into the system in USD." and this is why the system is a Ponzi scheme, because someone must be left with a negative position in order for someone else to come out of Bitcoin with money

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

wit posted:

Money is supposed to be immutable and almost abstract, not an invention.

Money was an invention. :smug:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

The answer to the question, you simpering retard, is "They do not make money, forums poster Blade Runner. You cannot possibly withdraw more more money than has been put into the system in USD." and this is why the system is a Ponzi scheme, because someone must be left with a negative position in order for someone else to come out of Bitcoin with money

Haha so you come up with a standard that says

"Cryptocurrencies make money" which is a claim literally nobody is making

Then you say "Ergo they are a ponzi scheme"

And I'm here to tell you, you are loving stupid. Cryptocurrencies are a currency being used for transactions, they are useful for this, and keep being used for transactions because they are useful. Go look on the internet and see! And the more people adopt them the more useful they will be. That's pretty much it.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Haha so you come up with a standard that says

"Cryptocurrencies make money" which is a claim literally nobody is making

Then you say "Ergo they are a ponzi scheme"

And I'm here to tell you, you are loving stupid. Cryptocurrencies are a currency being used for transactions, they are useful for this, and keep being used for transactions because they are useful. Go look on the internet and see! And the more people adopt them the more useful they will be. That's pretty much it.

You literally don't even have a basic understanding of economics

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

You literally don't even have a basic understanding of economics

Your existing understanding of economics keeps you utterly unable to understand cryptocurrencies and even picture their growing use or adoption, which is fascinating because that's literally what's happening, and will at some point have quite the crisis when faced with a reality that keeps diverging from these moronic, short sighted predictions.

I look forward to it

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

what if someone bought an old oil rig in international waters and hosted a shadymoney.biz paypal-like website to do all your illegal transactions for you as a middleman, would bitcoin be rendered useless?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Your existing understanding of economics keeps you utterly unable to understand cryptocurrencies and even picture their growing use or adoption, which is fascinating because that's literally what's happening, and will at some point have quite the crisis when faced with a reality that keeps diverging from these moronic, short sighted predictions.

I look forward to it

"Why should investments I make haveta make money?! The numbers can just go up!" - forums poster Ham Sandwiches

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

"Why should investments I make haveta make money?! The numbers can just go up!" - forums poster Ham Sandwiches

"Just because this wall street dude doesn't have a model taught to him by someone else that correctly values or understands cryptocurrencies doesn't make them a ponzi, it just makes this dudes understanding super limited despite him thinking otherwise"

It's cool there's plenty of people in that boat, it's gonna be great when the tipping point gets reached and people explain why the old models weren't quite adequate and then hooo boy, I guess it will that you were not wrong, just that it was too speculative and looked like a ponzi based on the stuff that came before, and of course it wasn't that other people saw cryptocurrencies correctly, they were just speculators looking to get rich

Except none of the dumb things you'll tell yourself about why you weren't wrong will be true

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Hey Hammy I think you missed this (or just decided to avoid it):

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You mean the point at which it's about to be accepted by more retailers[citation needed] and countries[citation needed] and reserve banks[citation needed] and hedge funds are getting into it[citation needed] and square is about to offer payments using it[citation needed], clearly the ship has sailed just like it had at $2500, and again at $5000
Come on let's see that quality research you're here to do.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 16, 2017

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
My Visa works pretty drat well

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rufio posted:

My Visa works pretty drat well

Convert all your money to icty and scratchy bux just to be safe.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I don't have to call the future other than to say the people claiming cryptocurrencies are a scam are super, mega dumb. Pretty soon there will be use cases so clear and obvious we won't quibble about them and this line of reasoning will seem ridiculous and short sighted; at which point I'll list them off and you'll declare that nobody could have known except speculators and ponzi enthusiasts

This response doesn't contain a single reason to use bitcoin over any other payment processor. I wonder why...

Like you don't have to speculate over future reasons, just tell us why millions of people find bitcoins useful for transactions. You did say that bitcoin is more useful (present tense) than the alternatives, right?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 16, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Lol everyone that posted during the fork drama about how bitcoins were CRASHING

extra lol at "coins can no longer be updated because ASICS" and people dumb enough to believe it

well done dudes, you sure called this one just like the iphone / anroid big hands thing - NOBODY WILL NEED A PHONE BIGGER THAN THE IPHONE 4 STEVE JOBS HIMSELF SAID SO

Do you have something more to add other than "nuh uh" to the fact that the vast majority of bitcoin miners will reject any protocol change that invalidates an ASIC?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I don't have to call the future other than to say the people claiming cryptocurrencies are a scam are super, mega dumb. Pretty soon there will be use cases so clear and obvious we won't quibble about them and this line of reasoning will seem ridiculous and short sighted; at which point I'll list them off and you'll declare that nobody could have known except speculators and ponzi enthusiasts

Not only are you a coward, but you are also a fool. Stop posting.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Ham Sandwiches describe the technical limitations of Bitcoin. The limitations that you said you totally know about but they don't matter because (?)

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Ham Sandwiches posted:

"Just because this wall street dude doesn't have a model taught to him by someone else that correctly values or understands cryptocurrencies doesn't make them a ponzi, it just makes this dudes understanding super limited despite him thinking otherwise"

It's cool there's plenty of people in that boat, it's gonna be great when the tipping point gets reached and people explain why the old models weren't quite adequate and then hooo boy, I guess it will that you were not wrong, just that it was too speculative and looked like a ponzi based on the stuff that came before, and of course it wasn't that other people saw cryptocurrencies correctly, they were just speculators looking to get rich

Except none of the dumb things you'll tell yourself about why you weren't wrong will be true

How is mining difficulty calculated? And what is the obvious flaw in the algorithm that is essentially a ticking timebomb? And how would you extricate Bitcoin from that algorithm?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Everyone I know in actually reality that is buying bitcoins is doing it with the express intention of making money, ‘not wanting to miss out’ as the price rises. I have never, ever had a discussion about anyone using it for any other reason (except drugs). All the bitcoin stories in pop media are about price, none of them about what you are meant to do with them besides make money.

Ham Sandy, you must love in an echo chamber because this is the actual state of things. What that means for adoption or the price or Ponzi or whatever, that’s another level of discussion. But seriously dude you have got to accept this basic observation about reality.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I think it's incredible that the same crew of idiots that made fun of upcoming stuff for YEARS, haha those big phones, lmao, anroid lmao, with dumb unfunny jokes and endless circle jerks, has found their new cause to rally around

and it turns out that they are just as clueless as they were when making fun of big phones, its literally the same people, only this time talking themselves out of money :xd:
:rolleyes: i wonder if ultimate vague accuser ham sandwiches has an opinion on what other people look like speaking on behalf of other people...

Ham Sandwiches posted:

temple posted:

Nobody thought bitcoin was dead when it crashed over the weekend. Nobody thinks bitcoin is great now that it has rose.
This guy is here to speak for all people! He knows all actors involved in bitcoins and their motivations / opinions.

-or-

he's full of poo poo!

You decide, reader
oh. so if he had any self-awareness he would realize he is full of poo poo. and he might get to look at how much of a retard he is with his screaming! meltdowns!

not to mention his complete lack of understanding of economics

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chadzok posted:

Everyone I know in actually reality that is buying bitcoins is doing it with the express intention of making money, ‘not wanting to miss out’ as the price rises. I have never, ever had a discussion about anyone using it for any other reason (except drugs). All the bitcoin stories in pop media are about price, none of them about what you are meant to do with them besides make money.

Ham Sandy, you must love in an echo chamber because this is the actual state of things. What that means for adoption or the price or Ponzi or whatever, that’s another level of discussion. But seriously dude you have got to accept this basic observation about reality.

nah people are buying bitcoin because it's so useful for transactions! Tons of people are!

I mean I'm just taking Ham Sandwiches at his word here, you're not calling him a liar, right? Lots of people are just buying bitcoins cause bitcoin just happens to be what they want to use for transactions, definitely not because they think they can make a quick buck by selling it later for fiat! That would be ridiculous!

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Maybe someone would believe that, if not for the whole 8 transactions/second, and the transaction backlog forming every time the speculative traders get restless.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
this thread's best collective troll is that it takes a bubble so vast that anyone who threw money at btc in July is up 400% and anyone who did it three weeks ago when this thread started is up 20% despite a 25% drop in between and makes it look unappealing to toss some disposable income into it when it very likely still has months left to run

like, everyone's need to pick a pedantry fight with a single ham sandwich and that ham sandwich's need to nerd fight with every single reply probably singlehandedly stopped goons from making a few tens of thousands of dollars since this version of the thread alone

well done

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Adar posted:

this thread's best collective troll is that it takes a bubble so vast that anyone who threw money at btc in July is up 400% and anyone who did it three weeks ago when this thread started is up 20% despite a 25% drop in between and makes it look unappealing to toss some disposable income into it when it very likely still has months left to run

like, everyone's need to pick a pedantry fight with a single ham sandwich and that ham sandwich's need to nerd fight with every single reply probably singlehandedly stopped goons from making a few tens of thousands of dollars since this version of the thread alone

well done

The point is you can't predict those increases any more than you can predict the massive drops. The market is too small and too susceptible to tampering. That's a bad market. You may as well "invest" in slot machines. How many tens of thousands have you made, by the way?

Or maybe Ham Sandwiches should answer that, as the most ardent supporter of Bitcoin in this thread. How much have you made? In your actual bank account?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Adar posted:

well done

indeed, it is so foolish to criticize pets.com at the height of the dotcom bubble

or beanie babies at the height of their popularity

or literally any ponzi scheme before it collapses

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The biggest bitcoin exchange is Bitfinex, which can't secure any banking partners because they're shady as gently caress. Their members are allowed to engage in rampant market manipulation tactics. There's a shitload of evidence that they are blatantly cooking their books in order to pump the price whenever it's falling.

GEE NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT PICTURE

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's fascinating watching

general reminder that I have so far made about £4000 more ActualMoney profit visibly in my bank account from bitcoin than Ham Sandwiches

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

The biggest bitcoin exchange is Bitfinex, which can't secure any banking partners because they're shady as gently caress. Their members are allowed to engage in rampant market manipulation tactics. There's a shitload of evidence that they are blatantly cooking their books in order to pump the price whenever it's falling.

GEE NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT PICTURE

Look man, I don’t know anything about regulations and government is bad and I think you’re missing the point

The real point

*rubs thumb and index+middle-finger together and waggles eyebrows*

Brochacho we talkin FOUR HUNDRED PERCENT gains

It can only go up

Hell I spend all day at work defending bitcoin and watching graphs in a manic thrill ride and I have to hide this obsession of mine or else my family members and more normie friends get tired of me trying to proselytize but—my man—it’s worth it for those marginal high risk gains and the bragging rights that only a coen brothers penny stocks trader character who comically keeps stubbing his toes on chairs would flex

You’d be an idiot not to enter wildly unregulated hypertulip futures

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Adar posted:

well done
hindsight investing theory is ridiculous even when its about real stocks
"lol why didnt you invest everything you had in apple right before it took off? what are you some kind of idiot?" *looks at market graph* "see i can find the exact point where you should have put your money in. easy"

the thing is with bitcoin you stand to lose everything because there is nothing but confidence propping up the value and there is a moral aversion to participating in a chain of ripping people off and a moral aversion to helping people who sexually abuse children get paid for recording it by putting real money into the bitcoin economy so they can cash out

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

oh I'm already all in on cryptocurrency, I sold all of my possessions and took a second mortgage out on my house investing solely in dogecoin, the one true cryptocurrency of the future which is technically superior to all others

bitcoin? More like shitcoin, dogecoin is where it's at

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Me, gamble? Nooo

I’m a crypto portfolio adviser entrepreneur

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Me, gamble? Nooo

I’m a crypto portfolio adviser entrepreneur

i'm only a day crypto portfolio adviser entrepreneur

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

investing in dogecoin isn't like gambling at all what are you insane? fuckin read the whitepaper, here it is in its entirety:

if you aren't investing heavily in doge then you're a complete moron who just doesn't get cryptos and is going to be left in the dust when doge explodes in price and wipes out all of the competitors (lol not real competitors though all other cryptos are poo poo)

you think bits-coins gains this year were high lol dogecoin's gains in 2018 are going to make bits-coins investors look like idiot children who are also broke because everyone's going to push all of their money into dogecoin

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Lmao this is a claim that will become obviously less true as the adoption increases and the usage of cryptocurrencies spread, the people that believe dumb poo poo like this based on secondhand / wrong info aren't gonna be convinced by a few paragraphs I write. That's certainly clear based on the past few months.

So, how do you not have confidence that if this is true at some point the ponzi scheme will collapse and become obvious? And similarly if it never seems like that's going to happen, and adoption / usage keeps increasing obviously your claims about it being a ponzi scheme are false.

No dude, every single person falling for a scam wouldn't mean it wasn't a scam.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
"usage of cryptocurrencies"

*buys bitcoin with money*
"oh good now i can buy things"

yes there is a great need for that

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

QuarkJets posted:

investing in dogecoin isn't like gambling at all what are you insane? fuckin read the whitepaper, here it is in its entirety:

if you aren't investing heavily in doge then you're a complete moron who just doesn't get cryptos and is going to be left in the dust when doge explodes in price and wipes out all of the competitors (lol not real competitors though all other cryptos are poo poo)

you think bits-coins gains this year were high lol dogecoin's gains in 2018 are going to make bits-coins investors look like idiot children who are also broke because everyone's going to push all of their money into dogecoin

i just had someone comment on the bjoooeeeerrrk bitcoin post on my blockchains are shite blog about how Litecoin was the BEST AND MOST USEFUL THING EVER and whyyyy doesn't anyone accept it and also

(if you see said comment and who it was and their recent /r/buttcoin posting history, you will understand why all comments to my blog are moderated)

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Blade Runner posted:

Bitcoin is literally a Ponzi scheme because no money can possibly be generated by it in the same way as money can be generated by an actual stock, and no amount of your flailing retardation about "NUMBER GO UP" can change that

You have never responded to this in a meaningful way, and if you bother to quote this post you will not actively respond to this criticism being levied, you will just say a bunch of retard buzzwords that mean nothing and sit back, smug in the knowledge that you have defended buttcoin for another day
by that argument, all commodities are ponzi schemes because they cannot generate money the way a stock can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

The point is you can't predict those increases any more than you can predict the massive drops. The market is too small and too susceptible to tampering. That's a bad market. You may as well "invest" in slot machines. How many tens of thousands have you made, by the way?

Or maybe Ham Sandwiches should answer that, as the most ardent supporter of Bitcoin in this thread. How much have you made? In your actual bank account?
some of the increases and drops are predictable. if there's a significant fork with a chain split announced, the price will rise rather predictably. you can't know how much it will rise, but it has reliably risen every time leading into a chain split. likewise, a sharp price drop when the split has completed is also reliably predictable, and a flow of capital from BTC into altcoins is also predictable. i've used these rules of thumb to profit.

with that said, there is always a chance that these "predictions" (which are really just informed guesses based on previous behavior) will be wrong, so you have to practice risk management. you have to have a plan for when to cut losses if you turn out to be wrong in order to protect your capital.

i don't need to believe the bitcoin is a good currency (it isn't) or that the price will perpetually go up (it won't) to profitably speculate on the bitcoin market. i do have to assume significant risk, but in my estimation, the reward is worth the risk.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 16, 2017