Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure, if that quote is even remotely reliable, there's gonna be a Reverie arc before we get to Wano.

I can't see this arc lasting that much longer, I mean, if we're still running away from Big Mom in half a year's time something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

But the Reverie, reintroducing dozens of past characters and having them meeting up, yeah I could see that taking a bit even just setting things up, and considering just how long it's been brewing, I honestly can't remember when it was first mentioned but it's been years ago now, so yeah I'm pretty sure something big is gonna go down during Reverie, though I have no clue what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I think Reverie was first mentioned all the way back at Drum Island. We had a flashback of Dalton and Wapol meeting little Vivi at one right?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah.

Wapol was a poo poo to Vivi.

It was also during that Reverie that one of the kings mentioned an up and coming revolutionary by the name of Dragon who could become a major problem in the future.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Since they have no reason to be there unless they somehow stumble upon the meeting site by accident, doing a little mini-arc featuring no Strawhat members (or no official ones anyway as Vivi is technically a member by association) at all could be interesting. Something big is probably going to happen there that eventually gets back to Luffy and the others but there's no real point in them actually being at the Reverie.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk that there would be a reverie arc, but they do have an in with the germa so it's not impossible. even if the strawhats don't go themselves, it'd give a good lead in

Aren't the Germa explicitly mentioned as not being invited to or qualifying for Reverie unless their original plan with Big Mom went off? The Strawhats wanting an "in" would also require they first want to be there first.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Big Mom arc ends, scene change to a lost Zoro arriving at Reverie

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

tsob posted:

Aren't the Germa explicitly mentioned as not being invited to or qualifying for Reverie unless their original plan with Big Mom went off? The Strawhats wanting an "in" would also require they first want to be there first.

It's the other way around. Joining forces with Big Mom would get their Reverie privelages revoked, but they still had them prior to the start of the arc. So whether or not they're still invited is entirely up to :bignews:'s article. Not that it matters, since the Strawhat's don't need an in. Even if Reverie is an actual arc and not just a few chapters, there's no way the Strawhats are showing up there.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
just a reminder that viola is going to the reverie :getin:

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Big Mom arc ends, scene change to a lost Zoro arriving at Reverie

Oda plz

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

anime was right posted:

just a reminder that viola is going to the reverie :getin:

I almost hope there's some kind of scuffle at the Reverie (like Blackbeard crashes the party or something) if only to see what new tricks our old friends there have picked up in the last 2 years.

While joining the crew probably isn't in the cards it would be nice to get every major ally of the Strawhat group back together for one last fight (Vivi and Law included), I could even see guys like Smoker and Tashigi eventually jumping ship from the WG if push came to shove. Hell, bring back Johnny and Yosaku too if you want.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 16, 2017

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That'll almost certainly happen for a clash against the World Government at some point; I just doubt Reverie is it. Reverie will probably just set the stage for it, in the same way Banaro Island's clash between Ace and Blackbeard set up the Summit War.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tsob posted:

That'll almost certainly happen for a clash against the World Government at some point; I just doubt Reverie is it. Reverie will probably just set the stage for it, in the same way Banaro Island's clash between Ace and Blackbeard set up the Summit War.

Yeah, that's what I meant (there's more than a few members present who aren't too fond of the World Government and happen to be on good terms with Luffy and his crew after all, some even owe him big time for helping them out). Plus I kind of want to see how Vivi would react to Robin, Franky and the other post-Alabasta crew members.

Luffy has done more to help these people than anyone else (in fact the WG has actually had a hand in causing a few of those problems) so the world rallying behind the new Pirate King against the government would be a fitting way to end things.

How much more is honestly left to explore now between Wano and Raftel (I'm guessing they'll be going to Elbaf at some point too and we might see a return trip to Fishman Island once Big Mom's finally dealt with)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 16, 2017

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Is the leader (shogun?) of Wano invited to Reverie? I think I remember them being independent of the WG but I can't remember now.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Is the leader (shogun?) of Wano invited to Reverie? I think I remember them being independent of the WG but I can't remember now.

They're isolationist, and the Shogun was acting in concert with Kaidou when he executed Lord Oden, so I'm guessing they're not WG members.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Reverie will announce their Kill Luffy strategy and a world-wide ban on feasts after tough battles. The WG enters civil war.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

How much more is honestly left to explore now between Wano and Raftel (I'm guessing they'll be going to Elbaf at some point too and we might see a return trip to Fishman Island once Big Mom's finally dealt with)?

I imagine Wano and Elbaf are it before Raftel personally, though I'm of the belief Raftel is probably only going to be the penultimate arc and there'll be some kind of war against the World Government after it rather than before it; including some kind of action at Fishman Island involving Noah. That said, if Tottoland is Big Mom and Wano is Kaido that makes me think Elbaf might be where Luffy confronts Blackbeard. Which would be pretty cool, especially since Usopp would presumably beat Van Auger in the place he kind of idolizes as the seat of manhood and somewhat fulfill his dream there as he does. That, or the Strawhats will meet Shanks' crew there, which will be equally cool for much the same reason: Usopp meeting his dad in a place he's been talking about for nearly the entire comic.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
theres going to be at least one kaido arc, whether or not it coincides with the wano or elbaf arcs is hard to say (probably wano)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how many islands did they stop at on the first half of the grand line? i'd think there would be a similar number this time since they're probably gfoing to have to stop at some islands to locate raftel or whatefver

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

paradise: whiskey peak, little garden, drum, alabasta, the one where they meet blackbeard, skypeia ,long ring, water 7, enies lobby, thriller bark(technically a ship?), sabaody

new world: punk hazard, dressrosa, zou, totto land

We've got a long way to go if it's by number of islands

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I recently had a theory what Gear 5 could be. Simply put, it's Gear 2 + Gear 3. We saw Luffy combine them in Thriller Bark, which I think was the first and only time so far, and while he did not call it Gear 5 then, it wouldn't be a stretch if he did so now as it'd be a reasonable and acceptable power-up that was foreshadowed (Oda does it again!). And from this we can assume that Gear 6 is Gears 2+4 and Gear 7 is Gears 3+4. If he were to combine all three gears, I don't think it'd be called Gear 8 or 9, it'd probably have some kind of unique name.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jose posted:

how many islands did they stop at on the first half of the grand line? i'd think there would be a similar number this time since they're probably gfoing to have to stop at some islands to locate raftel or whatefver

Ten I can think of: Whiskey Peak, Little Garden, Drum Island, Alabasta, Jaya, Skypiea, Water 7, Enies Lobby, Thriller Bark and Saboady. I mean, I guess you could count small islands like whatever island Laboon and Crocus were on along with islands only Luffy visited like Amazon Lily, but that seems un-necessary. Meanwhile, in the New World they have visited Fishman Island, Punk Hazard, Dressrosa, Zou and Tottoland so far. Which is five. Including Wano, Elbaf and Raftel would bump that to eight. So not a huge difference.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I recently had a theory what Gear 5 could be. Simply put, it's Gear 2 + Gear 3. We saw Luffy combine them in Thriller Bark, which I think was the first and only time so far, and while he did not call it Gear 5 then, it wouldn't be a stretch if he did so now as it'd be a reasonable and acceptable power-up that was foreshadowed (Oda does it again!). And from this we can assume that Gear 6 is Gears 2+4 and Gear 7 is Gears 3+4. If he were to combine all three gears, I don't think it'd be called Gear 8 or 9, it'd probably have some kind of unique name.

Don't know why you're spoilering speculation. That aside, isn't Gear 4th already basically Gear 2nd and Gear 3rd in one?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nah, Big Mom will be at Elbaf, at least a proper showdown and/or her downfall. Luffy said he's escaping so he can take down Kaido first and deal with her afterwards; Big Mom is still functionally invincible until they find another way of causing her trauma to render her vulnerable, and Elbaf is clearly the place for that to take place. Plus, we don't seem to be about to have the gaps in her backstory filled in, so that would also be the perfect place for that.

I mean at this stage we have no idea if it's going to shake out at one emperor per island or what, because once the Straw Hats (or Blackbeard) get all the road poneglyphs then all bets are off and the race to Raftel is on. I'm guessing Blackbeard upsets everything at Elbaf with Big Mom, Shanks and Luffy, but who knows.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The only possible gap in her backstory is what happened to Mother Carmel, and even that's only a maybe. It's also not something that needs a backstory either way, since it's not something we're going to see from her perspective given we already had that and she has no idea what happened. If something different to what's implied to Mother Carmel happened, then we won't find out through backstory but through exposition or current events. Big Mom is also not functionally invincible. Katakuri is, but Luffy was able to hit Big Mom just fine and she had to haki up to defend against it. Hitting her didn't cause her any apparent pain, but it didn't cause Luffy any either.

Big Mom is also seeking to pursue gigantification research because she can no longer go to Elbaf and isn't trying to go there of her own will anymore. Nothing in her character indicates she's just gonna head there, because if she could she already would have and she is instead looking to other ways to meet people of her own stature. Reaching Elbaf is basically a failed dream of hers, and going to Elbaf would be like Crocodile or Moria's showdowns being in Raftel. It just undercuts the tragedy of their character by showing them actually striving for, and in a way actually achieving their real dream, rather than hiding behind false delusions and methods because of the trauma of the past.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 17, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mraagvpeine posted:

Unfortunately, Top Gear is when he punches Sanji for bringing the wrong meal.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Kaidou being a mini oars gives him as much chance of the link to elbaf is big mam. I guess I just don't see how he beats kaidou who she is afraid of without beating her first

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gear 4 has greater speed than Gear 2 and arguably more destructive power but more condensed than Gear 3 already.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

Kaidou being a mini oars gives him as much chance of the link to elbaf is big mam. I guess I just don't see how he beats kaidou who she is afraid of without beating her first

still hoping big mom chases luffy all the way to wano, personally

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tsob posted:

The only possible gap in her backstory is what happened to Mother Carmel, and even that's only a maybe. It's also not something that needs a backstory either way, since it's not something we're going to see from her perspective given we already had that and she has no idea what happened. If something different to what's implied to Mother Carmel happened, then we won't find out through backstory but through exposition or current events. Big Mom is also not functionally invincible. Katakuri is, but Luffy was able to hit Big Mom just fine and she had to haki up to defend against it. Hitting her didn't cause her any apparent pain, but it didn't cause Luffy any either.

Big Mom is also seeking to pursue gigantification research because she can no longer go to Elbaf and isn't trying to go there of her own will anymore. Nothing in her character indicates she's just gonna head there, because if she could she already would have and she is instead looking to other ways to meet people of her own stature. Reaching Elbaf is basically a failed dream of hers, and going to Elbaf would be like Crocodile or Moria's showdowns being in Raftel. It just undercuts the tragedy of their character by showing them actually striving for, and in a way actually achieving their real dream, rather than hiding behind false delusions and methods because of the trauma of the past.

I don't think Big Mom particularly wants to go to Elbaf. She wants the Elbaf giants to be friends with her.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Hmm... A character that can alter memories...

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
If Big Mom doesn’t have her memories wiped, Zeff is still in danger and I don’t think Sanji or Luffy would set sail knowing that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Silver2195 posted:

I don't think Big Mom particularly wants to go to Elbaf. She wants the Elbaf giants to be friends with her.

That seems to be the case, yes. However, arguing that Big Mom will go to Elbaf indicates she'd want to go there for some reason, which could only be because of her lingering desire to be around people of her own size, which she's now pursuing in a different manner. So if she was going to go there it'd be because of her dreams, but she's given up on going there altogether after Lola's marriage from what we can see and is instead just concentrating on gigantification and becoming Pirate Queen. Which she might figure would allow her to bully them in to submission anyway.

Lpzie posted:

Hmm... A character that can alter memories...

I would be entirely un-surprised (though delighted) if Pudding does alter Big Mom's memories of Luffy to make her forgive and/or forget him but Luffy immediately starts a new feud with her afterwards regardless.

Millions posted:

If Big Mom doesn’t have her memories wiped, Zeff is still in danger and I don’t think Sanji or Luffy would set sail knowing that.

He is? I was under the impression it was the Germa 66 who were threatening Zeff and not Big Mom or her crew.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I feel like what we know of Big Mom should suggest that she would go after the Baratie for Sanji defying her, but despite that I think that scene with Sanji and Reiju earlier this arc is supposed to tell us that she doesn't really care and won't be a threat. I don't entirely buy it but eh.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Big Mom not knowing about Baratie or Sanji's past outside his immediate family seems in line with what we know of her and her family really. They're not the most diligent or thorough group outside dealing with direct threats, and even then a lot of the smaller members are so terrified of reprisal they lie or cheat to cover their own rear end. Not knowing about one particular pirate's past seems entirely reasonable.

tsob fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 17, 2017

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

tsob posted:

Big Mom not knowing about Baratie or Sanji's past outside his immediate family seems in line with what we know of her and her family really. They're not the most diligent or thorough group outside dealing with direct threats, and even then a lot of the smaller members are so terrified of reprisal they lie or cheat to cover their own rear end. Not knowing about one particular pirate's past seems entirely reasonable.

I don't know, we learned back on Zou just how thorough they supposedly are when dealing with people who've scorned them, and that the Vinsmokes (through them) were able to threaten the Baratie makes it hard for me to imagine that relevant people in Big Mom's crew don't know about the Baratie as well. But I guess the only way for this to wrap up cleanly is for Big Mom's crew to either not know or not care (for some reason) so that must be where this is going.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Pro-read: Kaidou is Big Mom's real first-born son she had with a giant.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

Pro-read: Kaidou is Big Mom's real first-born son she had with a giant.

Kaido, laughed off Totland by his family for being a weeb, awakened his conquerer's haki and took over Japan.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I don't know, we learned back on Zou just how thorough they supposedly are when dealing with people who've scorned them, and that the Vinsmokes (through them) were able to threaten the Baratie makes it hard for me to imagine that relevant people in Big Mom's crew don't know about the Baratie as well. But I guess the only way for this to wrap up cleanly is for Big Mom's crew to either not know or not care (for some reason) so that must be where this is going.

I'm pretty sure it was Tamago Egg who told the Vinsmokes about the Baratie in the first place?

EDIT: Err, Baron Tamago.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 17, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jose posted:

We dont know if oars is even an elbaf giant. Both oars we saw didnt even dress like vikings and such, and drew more from folkloric japanese Oni styling. To an extent so does Kaidou, but he has a bit of chinese/japanese pirate going for him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hate-Senpai posted:

I'm pretty sure it was Tamago Egg who told the Vinsmokes about the Baratie in the first place?

EDIT: Err, Baron Tamago.

Well then, I stand corrected.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

It still makes sense to me, mostly because I'd assume that with Big Mom defeated the crew will have other things to think about and not really care about revenge on one of the guys who helped destroy them. It's really much the same reason as why I don't think Baroque Works are going to be causing trouble for Vivi in future despite being a criminal organization with thousands of members I suppose; though admittedly on a smaller scale than Big Mom's crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bear kuma
monkey d. saru
wave