Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
also defensive pagans losing holy warriors on abandoning tribalism and the forced agnatic laws for tribals are loving killing me, the former for gameplay reasons and the latter for realism and gameplay reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

also defensive pagans losing holy warriors on abandoning tribalism and the forced agnatic laws for tribals are loving killing me, the former for gameplay reasons and the latter for realism and gameplay reasons

everything about tribals is terrible

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
what about the sense of pride and accomplishment you feel when you finally unlock feudalism??

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

everything about tribals is terrible
Idk, if they cut the costs of upgrading poo poo, you can learn to love the hordes of light infantry. And calling your vassals as allies is honestly one of my fav ways to conquer poo poo; especially because they can't say no if they like you.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Tribals are cool because they're a legit way to get some wacky merchant republics going. Nomads too. I really wish the AI was prone to actually use that option themselves sometimes though. Also their unwillingness to form vassal merchant republics sucks.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I didn't realize that they lose the holy warriors, that's kind of a lovely thing. Easy enough to mod, but it should be fixed in the base game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's to represent that you've moved from having to rely on event troops drawn by religious callings or promises of loot to having more reliable soldiers that you don't have to use your councilors and prestige to summon.

SlothfulCobra posted:

My ruler's real long in the tooth, and I've got one last grand scheme to push a bunch of claims on West Francia so my heir can inherit them, but for some reason I can't declare war because the game thinks two of my close family members are being held hostage by the French king: Me, and my adult landed heir grandson.

Even when I killed the king, his son had the same weird thing going on. Is there any way to deal with this?

edit: I mean look at this garbage

Is there any way to use the console to get around this? It's not an ironman run, and I've been having enough fun with it that I'd rather not have my grand schemes being ruined by a bug, especially a bug that'll keep me from fighting France until two rulers from now.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Honky Dong Country posted:

Tribals are cool because they're a legit way to get some wacky merchant republics going. Nomads too. I really wish the AI was prone to actually use that option themselves sometimes though. Also their unwillingness to form vassal merchant republics sucks.

I'm trying this at the moment. What are some pointers for playing a merchant republic? If I lose an election am I going to die when the Ai patrician starts a dumb war? Or do I have enough autonomy to do something about that? I formed one and then I was just sort of listless. Should I try to expand? Or do big merchant republics not work very well?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

SlothfulCobra posted:

Is there any way to use the console to get around this? It's not an ironman run, and I've been having enough fun with it that I'd rather not have my grand schemes being ruined by a bug, especially a bug that'll keep me from fighting France until two rulers from now.

If nothing else you could console kill those two hostages.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Red Bones posted:

I'm trying this at the moment. What are some pointers for playing a merchant republic? If I lose an election am I going to die when the Ai patrician starts a dumb war? Or do I have enough autonomy to do something about that? I formed one and then I was just sort of listless. Should I try to expand? Or do big merchant republics not work very well?

If you're not the Doge/Grand Mayor or whatever then you have no control over your whole nation's wars. Likewise you don't suffer the consequences of the loss if your ruler starts one and loses. For instance if he decides to start a conquest war against somebody and loses, it's not you that will lose prestige/cash and it can actually benefit you for them to take that hit so you stay out of it.

Now if somebody else declares a war to take you guys' poo poo, you wanna look close. Even if it's not yours directly, it's rarely good to lose land so you might wanna pitch in. It all kind of depends. While you don't have any way to keep your liege from declaring a stupid war, you can weigh the pros/cons of victory/defeat and decide to help or not. For instance ad Venice I once had somebody declare an embargo war on us that didn't risk a single one of my trade posts but hosed 2-3 other patricians. Naturally, I kept my retinues the gently caress away from the fighting and let the Doge lose to gently caress the other patricians.

Expansion itself is fine but there's things to consider. For one, the different government malus with theocracies and more importantly feudals. Also merchant republics can't use viceroyalties, which makes management of empires more difficult. So yeah. You can rule a large realm as a republic but it can be a bit more tricky because of that fat government malus.

Luckily, you're a cash machine. So keep a nice reserve of loot to hire a pile of mercs and keep them on the payroll through a war. At least then when your feudals get uppity you can crush them and take their poo poo for redistribution.

The lack of viceroyalties is a motherfucker at the empire level imo. When you're an empire IMO it's time for vassal kings, and I much prefer viceroy vassal kings to hereditary ones. However, conclave is pretty great IMO, and if you have it with council authority and council war declaration your councillors can't faction up unless they're discontent. A lot of people like absolute authority for the demesne boost but frankly the ability to keep like six vassals from joining a faction is pretty big, especially when you need to use vassal kings to keep under the vassal limit.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 16, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
why the heck does steam need 17 hours for Jade Dragon, uggghhh

It's the 16th here! BLEGH

Yeah, and back before you needed a duchy to do it, it was incredibly hilarious. I once made every single tribal county with a coastline in the north a merchant republic. Good times. (Think the Finns won that one in some bizarre twist)

evenworse username posted:

If nothing else you could console kill those two hostages.
wasn't one of the supposed hostages the player character??

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Wait jade dragon is out tomorrow? Fuuuuuuuuck

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Wait jade dragon is out tomorrow? Fuuuuuuuuck

Yep. Think my first game will be a Uygher migration Persian Empire, to play with the new Manichea mechanics and be reasonably close to the Dragon.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Yep. Think my first game will be a Uygher migration Persian Empire, to play with the new Manichea mechanics and be reasonably close to the Dragon.

gently caress that. Charlie start Otuken-turned-Mongol Empire. :getin:

Then dunk endlessly on the Chinese. (lol yeah right they're gonna crush my impudent rear end with doomstacks)

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 16, 2017

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

wasn't one of the supposed hostages the player character??

pffft, details!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Lol you fools! The Mideast or maybe redesigned Sardinia is where it's at!

Especially as all of the silk road is in China range apparently, so Socotra, which has a trade post I think will be totes more doable.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you're using the console, just move both characters to your court.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lol you fools! The Mideast or maybe redesigned Sardinia is where it's at!

Especially as all of the silk road is in China range apparently, so Socotra, which has a trade post I think will be totes more doable.

The biggest problem with Socotra is you have to pull some kind of weird rear end fuckery to play it as a merchant republic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

binge crotching posted:

If you're using the console, just move both characters to your court.

They're there though.

That's why it's definitely a bug, my ruler went independent like a decade ago, and his grandson went with him, because he's a vassal. The only way I can think of for the wires to have gotten crossed is maybe this is some flag from when I used to be a vassal, and the king was really eager to raise my heirs, but I was refusing the educate heirs requests by the time Godfried was 6.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My Zunbil Shah’s grandfather was the Satrap of —- and my Sun Guardian is off finding apostates in NO_TEXT_FOR_KEY. I’m ready to start over and ensure that China will grow larger.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Having to wait another ten or so hours is driving me nuts, it's the 16th, let me unite the eagle and the dragon under one bloodline :histdowns:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

The biggest problem with Socotra is you have to pull some kind of weird rear end fuckery to play it as a merchant republic.
Yeah, it really is tailor made for it. Wish they'd just make it tribal but I guess that's ahistorical~

Or that they finally added that optional rule for the canal of the pharohs, which would be loving ace for exactly this update, seeing as it's all about the east!

SlothfulCobra posted:

They're there though.

That's why it's definitely a bug, my ruler went independent like a decade ago, and his grandson went with him, because he's a vassal. The only way I can think of for the wires to have gotten crossed is maybe this is some flag from when I used to be a vassal, and the king was really eager to raise my heirs, but I was refusing the educate heirs requests by the time Godfried was 6.
Yeah, my guess is you were either a Councillor or commander or something and they didn't clean the script because you went independent?

I know the Councillor poo poo gets me at times

Autism Sneaks posted:

Having to wait another ten or so hours is driving me nuts, it's the 16th, let me unite the eagle and the dragon under one bloodline :histdowns:
I feel your pain, it's 8 hours since it was the 16th here. It's the 16th in Sweden! What drat timezone are they operating on???

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

*Stands on the thread's front lawn holding up a boombox blaring "Final Countdown"*

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

It's going to be three hours into the 17th before I can play China antagonizing simulator gently caress timezones

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There's one more DLC after JD, right? Man, I can barely believe we've come to the end of CK2. End of a goddamn era.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

1stGear posted:

There's one more DLC after JD, right? Man, I can barely believe we've come to the end of CK2. End of a goddamn era.

Sheeeeiiiiit. It'll be like 2030 and I'm gonna get banned for occasionally posting in this thread like "A-a-....a....anybody still playing this game??? :shepface:"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The patch is out, full changelog here.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I love this game

quote:

- Fixed some historical characters having the wrong beard and/or hair

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
plenty of important beard-related fixes

quote:

- Fixed some graphical artifacts in Norse beards

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
oh man, i just realized, if they removed the tribals in arabia, does that mean you can no longer form a sayyid merchant republic in ironman :(

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

oh man, i just realized, if they removed the tribals in arabia, does that mean you can no longer form a sayyid merchant republic in ironman :(

I just checked, there's some tribes in Yemen in the Old Gods start that can form republics.

Also the Tibet Empire in the 700's start is monstrous :stare:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Expansion is live.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I just checked, there's some tribes in Yemen in the Old Gods start that can form republics.

Also the Tibet Empire in the 700's start is monstrous :stare:
They have like no troops though if I remember right?

If I remember the stream right

1stGear posted:

Expansion is live.
PRAISE ODIN

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Changelog posted:

Told the AI that if it is the attacker in a war, it *might* be a good idea to actually go attack the defender even if you're targeting their whole realm rather than a specific title within it, and it is a bit of a long walk
- The AI has learned how to spell, and no longer look for "soceities" missions when they're actually called "societies" missions. With this newfound ability to spell, the AI is better at identifying mission targets
- Taught nomads that if they rise in revolt in response to an attempt to split their clan, maybe they should accept it next time rather than rise again and again
- The AI is no longer deathly afraid of going overseas to help its allies just because the enemy is a bit far away
- The AI no longer thinks that just because a province is *someone*'s capital, it's a good target; it is now more discerning and only cares if it is the capital of an enemy
- The AI is now a bit more aware of just how superior heavy cavalry is to light infantry
- The AI now no longer thinks that enemy armies adjacent to other enemy armies are just on vacation, and won't help out if it were to attack
- Gave the AI a crash course in how to hand out titles
- Gave the AI a crash course in how to transfer vassals in a way that won't make you want to claw your eyes out

Tell ya what, this "The AI" fellow just doesn't seem good at the game at all.

Really just everything, its all pretty quality posted:

- The AI now realizes that just because it has occupied everything it borders, it shouldn't skip out on occupying the non-bordering stuff
- Taught the AI a few things about how supply works, and why a doomstack isn't always the best way to deal with it while travelling to its destination. The AI is hard of hearing, so it only partially understood this lesson, but partial understanding beats no understanding, right?
- Taught the Pope Geography 101, with an emphasis on what "distance from Catholicism" and "size of kingdom" means in the context of Crusades, and why this means that invading India when Egypt is right there might be a bad idea
- Informed the AI that just because their ideal commander can't lead troops right now, doesn't mean they should just skip assigning a commander to the flank they wanted to assign that commander to
- The AI now realizes that once it is landed, it should base its army in its capital rather than have it stand in the middle of nowhere, taking attrition, just because it happened to spawn in the middle of nowhere many years ago
- Betrothed men no longer go "nah, can't fulfill this betrothal" after sending a marriage offer which you accidentally reject. They will also no longer decide to not bother to resend the offer while mumbling "let's see how *they* like being ignored"
- Told just-spawned raiding adventurers "hey, your fleet is right over there" so that they wouldn't disband instantly when spawning on an island with no good raid targets, due to thinking that getting across the sea is simply impossible
- Members of small reformed religions are now a bit more fond of joining Great Holy Wars and the like
- The AI has finally come to the realization that it is allowed to invite its own vassals and courtiers to plots, not just the vassals and courtiers of the target

1stGear fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 16, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I wonder if they realize that just because there isn't a land connection that a place isn't a "Distant Realm" yet

edit: What happened to Afghanistan?? :psyduck:

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 16, 2017

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
You are massively over your vassal limit in 769 Tibet but all of your vassal's lands and the de jure titles are placed in just such a way that you can't cleanly transfer them around or create new titles ahhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Just saying the new music is fantastic :allears:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Just saying the new music is fantastic :allears:
The game has music???

Also Zun Alert: The kingdom of Kabulistan is now a titular title, which means no discounts on kingdom creation cost, which means you gotta pray that the Emprah doesn't close the silk road or you die too quick.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

It is so weird seeing a province set up in the middle east that isn't hot garbage :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I started it up. Looked at Persias provinces. Had to take a very cold shower. :iia:

fake edit: Seriously having caspian coast provinces split between plains and mountains is all I ever wanted.

• Locked thread