Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah this one i eyed on british amazon. not sure if it's certified or "certified" (since not listed on hdmi org website), buy cheap enough to just test. will need to figure out tomorrow which of 2.0b specs it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yo cinci these guys don't ship international but if you're in a fix let me know and i can grab some cables for you and ship it your way:

https://www.pchcables.com/6foceprhispw.html

i've been there multiple times before, they're legit (also cranky as hell if you try to return anything lol)

thank you for the offer! might consider it if nothing pans out, but would much prefer a direct purchase

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah this one i eyed on british amazon. not sure if it's certified or "certified" (since not listed on hdmi org website), buy cheap enough to just test. will need to figure out tomorrow which of 2.0b specs it is
there's a qr code what more do you want

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

there's a qr code what more do you want

i didn't think to just scan the code on the page :cripes:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

hmmmmmm perhaps there's a reason it took you an hour to find zero results

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Your Search Strategy is a Piece Of poo poo.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

hmmmmmm perhaps there's a reason it took you an hour to find zero results

im not arguing against that for sure

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

in my defense i had considered that specific cable, i swear :eng99:

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

doesn't HDR just need a 2.0a port on both ends and most any newish hdmi cable?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Father Jack posted:

Yep

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Father Jack posted:

the HDR stuff is all just electrons over the same pins yeah but if there is a difference in the signaling clock or something where it needs more bandwidth to carry the HDR data then it could be a problem but likely only at the extreme end of the allowed cable length

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

i ask because i'm looking at building a new htpc as well.

all the micro atx boards i'm seeing either just specify 'hdmi' or are explicitly hmdi 1.4.

can you get hdr with a display port > hdmi adaptor and coffee lake onboard? or should i just stick a GT 1030 in there?

edit: looks like HDR10 was added in display port 1.4 and those boards are 1.2, so yup, buy a GT1030. i'm going to buy one and stick it in my old 4850e/HD3200 htpc in the meantime to see how much difference it makes.

Pierre Chaton fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 9, 2017

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

any idea what's going on here? the part that has "world" in it is a 3D display and it's supposed to fill the entire right-side section. when it resizes it just gets filled with whatever happens to be behind there at the moment. i'm thinking this is some intersection of incorrect high-dpi scaling and video driver weirdness. this is ubuntu 16.04.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

looks like you're using some kind of weird knockoff operating system. have you tried reinstalling windows?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

looks like you're using some kind of weird knockoff operating system. have you tried reinstalling windows?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Father Jack posted:

yes, premium high speed cable and 2.0a is sufficient. 2.0b rev2 adds hlg hdr metadata

2.1 will be much better about it but it's some year out for now

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Father Jack posted:

i ask because i'm looking at building a new htpc as well.

all the micro atx boards i'm seeing either just specify 'hdmi' or are explicitly hmdi 1.4.

can you get hdr with a display port > hdmi adaptor and coffee lake onboard? or should i just stick a GT 1030 in there?

edit: looks like HDR10 was added in display port 1.4 and those boards are 1.2, so yup, buy a GT1030. i'm going to buy one and stick it in my old 4850e/HD3200 htpc in the meantime to see how much difference it makes.

yeah gt1030 is what i ended up getting for my parents since the only 370 board i found with hdmi 2 was neither great, nor available in latvia

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

i'll take this philosophy to heart, op

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

any idea what's going on here? the part that has "world" in it is a 3D display and it's supposed to fill the entire right-side section. when it resizes it just gets filled with whatever happens to be behind there at the moment. i'm thinking this is some intersection of incorrect high-dpi scaling and video driver weirdness. this is ubuntu 16.04.

remembered to actually up your dpi too? does this happen after e.g. xrandr --dpi 192 ? (remember to restart the program of course)

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I just installed Windows 10 and I'm having some weird stuttering issues where everything regularly freezes for a few seconds. System seems to be spiking in CPU usage whenever it happens. Any ideas?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maximum Leader posted:

I just installed Windows 10 and I'm having some weird stuttering issues where everything regularly freezes for a few seconds, System seems to be spiking in CPU usage whenever it happens. Any ideas?

do you do anything particular that causes these spikes, no matter how menial it seems? is it loading updates rn? anything funny in cpu/io/ram usage in task manager details? if you move mouse when it freezes, will the pointer be moved when it unfreezes?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
if it's just after installation it's probably installing bullshit in the background, and that could be drivers

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

do you do anything particular that causes these spikes, no matter how menial it seems? is it loading updates rn? anything funny in cpu/io/ram usage in task manager details? if you move mouse when it freezes, will the pointer be moved when it unfreezes?

It's been like this a day or two now so it should be done installing updates at this point. I guess using Firefox in general seems to be triggering it especially but just scrolling up and down a word document or right clicking the task bar does it too. The strange thing in task manager is System spiking in cpu usage (like 40+%), when System goes down again it stops. Everything else is normal, no high disk usage, plenty of memory to spare, CPU isn't even hitting 100%. Mouse moves when it unfreezes, yes. Text I wrote while frozen appears when unfrozen too.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maximum Leader posted:

It's been like this a day or two now so it should be done installing updates at this point. I guess using Firefox in general seems to be triggering it especially but just scrolling up and down a word document or right clicking the task bar does it too. The strange thing in task manager is System spiking in cpu usage (like 40+%), when System goes down again it stops. Everything else is normal, no high disk usage, plenty of memory to spare, CPU isn't even hitting 100%. Mouse moves when it unfreezes, yes. Text I wrote while frozen appears when unfrozen too.

grab process explorer

and try to snap the screen above with the cpu offender

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I caught the offender, it's dxgmms2.sys!VidMmInterface+0x44350. Some gfx card related MS driver i guess?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maximum Leader posted:

I caught the offender, it's dxgmms2.sys!VidMmInterface+0x44350. Some gfx card related MS driver i guess?

do a clean install of your gpu drivers (assuming nvidia, they have a clean install setting). likely better to remove old driver explicitly beforehand

what's the cpu/gpu/mobo btw?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

and yeah its directx memory management thing, which explains why your peripheral inputs work while poo poo is frozen

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

do a clean install of your gpu drivers (assuming nvidia, they have a clean install setting). likely better to remove old driver explicitly beforehand
also do an uninstall of all the extra crap, like geforce experience or 3d audio

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

can you change jira create issue window to include label form on it, preferably on per-project basis?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also please pitch ur suggestions to connect a somewhat-smart but probably not really samsung "business" tv (which has youtube and netflix apps i thing, didnt see skype) to our corporate videocalling software, skype (not for business) :v:

are wi-fi connected webcams a thing? are skype-connected webcams a thing? or do we want idk, cheap apple tv - do those even run skype?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cinci zoo sniper posted:

can you change jira create issue window to include label form on it, preferably on per-project basis?

i am 99.44% sure that you can, but i couldn't tell you how to do it offhand. probably involves "custom screens"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

i am 99.44% sure that you can, but i couldn't tell you how to do it offhand. probably involves "custom screens"
cheers, ill look into it and pester our jira admin

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cinci zoo sniper posted:

cheers, ill look into it and pester our jira admin

in theory, i should have just attached a screen shot to my post

okay, yeah. this is taken from the "project settings" page for (in this case) the "REL" project

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

in theory, i should have just attached a screen shot to my post

okay, yeah. this is taken from the "project settings" page for (in this case) the "REL" project

great, thanks a lot! our jira admin isnt a technical person so this does help

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cinci zoo sniper posted:

great, thanks a lot! our jira admin isnt a technical person so this does help

it's a pretty confusing system -- they've got their own set of terminology which i guess makes sense if you're australian, but normal people have to get their brains into the right mindset (upside down) before doing stuff

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/imgur-upload/

the page says there are zero users. that can't be right, can it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/imgur-upload/

the page says there are zero users. that can't be right, can it?

could be if it is new add-on or new rewrite for ff57, but probably something is bork on their side, or these stats are affected by privacy settings or similar.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

our jira admin will have a field day with our team requests for customisation since up until now they apparently were doing the most barebones poo poo. we even have to ask for statuses such as "on hold", "waiting on", or "backlog"

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i'm having some very weird issues with my new pc

it was running fine for a couple of days, but when i woke up yesterday morning it was turned off, so i turned it on and left for work

when i got home, one of my monitors (connected via hdmi) had signal and no video, the other (dvi) had nothing, so i rebooted

i was able to get it working for a short time until the displays went to sleep, at which point i couldn't get video

tried a bios update, swapped in an older gpu (which worked fine) and reinstalled nvidia drivers, but once i rebooted with the new gpu nvidia prompted me to install the exact same drivers again

tried a windows 10 refresh too, no dice :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

also please pitch ur suggestions to connect a somewhat-smart but probably not really samsung "business" tv (which has youtube and netflix apps i thing, didnt see skype) to our corporate videocalling software, skype (not for business) :v:

are wi-fi connected webcams a thing? are skype-connected webcams a thing? or do we want idk, cheap apple tv - do those even run skype?

you probably just want a normal domain pc plugged in to the screen that your it department can manage and you can log in to with your normal account