Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Given the sensors in all the crop cameras are the same, they have to add/remove features in order to give value to the higher cameras.

Could you flip it into MF to lock the focus in this case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason you couldn't just do AF-S? Half press to lock focus, then reframe?

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Given the sensors in all the crop cameras are the same, they have to add/remove features in order to give value to the higher cameras.

Could you flip it into MF to lock the focus in this case?

Hmm yes I suppose MF would do the trick actually.

I wanted to pre-focus at say 10ft, set the aperture to F8 and shoot away with no AF hunting. Just seemed odd to me that you could hit the AE/AF lock button and let go (hold mode) for AE but not for AF. I suppose they're expecting people to just switch to MF.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Even if you set the aperture to F/8, it should still meter and focus at the widest aperture possible. That’s why there’s also a “Depth of field preview” button.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there a preview button on that camera though? I know my old D50 didn't have one, so I'd expect it's a button not on the D3x00 series.

Speaking of, I saw someone on Craigslist trying to sell a 'rare' red body D3300 yesterday for $1,000 in my area. Yeah, good luck with that mate.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there a preview button on that camera though? I know my old D50 didn't have one, so I'd expect it's a button not on the D3x00 series.

Speaking of, I saw someone on Craigslist trying to sell a 'rare' red body D3300 yesterday for $1,000 in my area. Yeah, good luck with that mate.
I haven't touched a D3x00 since the 3100, but I recall it having the preview button.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Krakkles posted:

I haven't touched a D3x00 since the 3100, but I recall it having the preview button.

Internet says no unfortunately. Oh well https://www.flickr.com/groups/1482012@N21/discuss/72157634667700407/

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I'm running a D3200 and getting a bit bored by it's limitations - would I be an idiot to buy my friend's D7100 for, like, £450? Shutter count is just under 2000.

Crop factor of 1.3x instead of 1.5x is the main draw, especially when the majority of what I shoot is landscapes through a 35mm or astro through an 8mm fisheye.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What? The D7100 has a normal 1.5x crop.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I’m thinking of a similar jump to a new 7200 from my 3200. I understand that in ideal conditions with the same lens they will both produce essentially the same image, but the draw for me is the additional manual controls, better body construction and the ability to use older lenses.

However the big one is the better autofocus - too often I end up with blurred images and while this is presumably largely down to me making the wrong choices when taking a photo, the superior 7200 autofocus will help, right?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

powderific posted:

What? The D7100 has a normal 1.5x crop.

So I thought but a quick visit to Nikon's website claims otherwise: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/

a paid marketing fuckman posted:

Superior capturing power delivered by a high-density 51-point AF system, which covers nearly the entire image area in the 1.3x crop of DX mode

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Theophany posted:

So I thought but a quick visit to Nikon's website claims otherwise: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/

That's a 1.3x crop of the 1.5x crop, for an effective 1.95x crop relative to 24x36 mm full frame.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s talking about another feature, I have a D7200 and I can promise you the crop is 1.5x and the extra mode within it crops another 1.3x. I don’t use it personally, it’s a 16mp crop that essentially gives you edge to edge focusing and (I believe) a slightly faster FPS. It’s nothing I can’t do in post, beyond the FPS bump.

As for £450 for a 7100... it sounds a liiiiittle on the expensive end. Lookup some refurb prices or high grade secondhand on mpb and see what the rates there are.

If a 7200 is a similar price, get it instead of the 7100. Not a massive amount different, but enough to warrant a bit more cash imo.

E: eh looks like 450 isn’t too bad a price, especially for local and a low shutter count.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 26, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

nielsm posted:

That's a 1.3x crop of the 1.5x crop, for an effective 1.95x crop relative to 24x36 mm full frame.

What is the purpose of this isn’t it just a digital zoom?

Edit: sorry was answered in subsequent post.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Thanks for clearing up guys, I was getting a little confused with it all. I'll see what I can negotiate - would £400 be a reasonable price? I'm acutely aware that Black Friday is just around the corner...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I updated my post so you might not have seen it. Mpb price it pretty similarly, whereas I was expecting around 400. Yeah if he takes 400 for it that sounds decent. He might have a few bits and pieces extra for it.

With regards to Black Friday, I had a solid deal on my Sigma 18-35 Back a few years ago in the U.K. as both Sigma did a rebate, and Harrison Cameras (I think) had a sale on too. I paid like £400 for it or something which was a steal.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Theophany posted:

They're just saying that the AF sensor covers 1.3x of the image area. It's about how much of the frame the autofocus sensors cover.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

powderific posted:

They're just saying that the AF sensor covers 1.3x of the image area. It's about how much of the frame the autofocus sensors cover.

Ah right, either way it seems like it'll be a decent step up from my D3200 and with only 2k clicks on it should last my hobbyism a fair old while.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Theophany posted:

Ah right, either way it seems like it'll be a decent step up from my D3200 and with only 2k clicks on it should last my hobbyism a fair old while.

Yes, D3200 vs D7100 is like night and day. There's no way you'll regret it. The second command dial alone will make you weep with joy.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

thetzar posted:

So let's say I'm in the market for a new 50mm lens for Nikon full-frame. I've got the old 50mm f1/8D that dates from the D70 era. Fine as far as it goes, cheap as water, tiny and light. But I want something that's better across the board: sharper, less distortion and aberration, etc. And I want something with autofocus, so that's the Zeiss glass out of the running.

Is the Sigma Art the clear winner? I've seen customer reviews talking of problems with focus calibration and catching focus in low-light situations. Is some of the current Nikon glass a better bet? I'd also love to not have a GIANT lens for the 50mm, but that seems to be the way a lot of the Sigma/Zeiss lenses just are.

This is a month-old post, but I just checked the thread again and I have some relevant experience here.

I had a Sigma 50/1.4 Art, but I recently switched to the Tamron 45/1.8. The Sigma was consistently backfocusing on the corner AF points (a problem that can't be addressed even with Sigma's special USB dock), and the Tamron comes with VC, which is a nice bonus.

The Tamron is also lighter (though still a bit hefty for a fast prime) and several hundred dollars cheaper. It's 45mm instead of 50mm and f/1.8 instead of f/1.4, but the minimum focus distance is short enough that it almost feels like a pseudo-macro.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Nikon version is also like $200 off everywhere rn. And I'm not sure why, It's a great hunk of glass even at the msrp.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Startyde posted:

Nikon version is also like $200 off everywhere rn. And I'm not sure why, It's a great hunk of glass even at the msrp.

The 50mm 1.4 Nikon is not a very good lens (I own one). I have found that I get better AF and sharper image quality across a fair spread of aperture values with my 35mm F/1.8

vvvv whoops, I misunderstood you vvvvv

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 31, 2017

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I meant the fmount version of the tamron 45 :)

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Would any of you happen to know the effect of an AI conversion gone to far. A local pawn shop has a 35mm f/2.8 for cheap that's in great shape except the homegrown AI conversion looks to have gone half a stop to far, about f16.3 instead of f11.6. I imagine the camera would think you're a half stop wider than you really are.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Am I crazy for wanting to buy a D700 instead of a D800? It's still my favourite digital camera and really had all I wanted (except the big size, which can suck). By today's standard 12 megapixels seems too litle, but I never needed more and don't think I'd need more today. These days it's dirty cheap as well and just as great as when it was launched.

On the other hand, the D800 is arguably a much better camera, at least on paper. However, 36 megapixels is massive and I'd argue it's usually overkill for most of us. You can crop like a madman, of course, but it also comes at a price since it'll fill up your hard drive pretty quickly. You're also more dependent on great glass to take advantage of the megapixels.

I've only tried the D750 for a little while, but never really liked the ergonomics so it's out of the running. I'm not interested in the 810 or 850 either.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Sauer posted:

Would any of you happen to know the effect of an AI conversion gone to far. A local pawn shop has a 35mm f/2.8 for cheap that's in great shape except the homegrown AI conversion looks to have gone half a stop to far, about f16.3 instead of f11.6. I imagine the camera would think you're a half stop wider than you really are.

That's pretty much it unless you have an F4 or FA. Except it won't think you are a stop wider it will think you are a stop slower the further away from start the AI fridge is the smaller the lens max aperture. So your lens will report to the camera that it's an f/3.3 not f/2.8.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/nikonfmount/aiais.htm

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 16, 2017

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Xabi posted:

Am I crazy for wanting to buy a D700 instead of a D800? It's still my favourite digital camera and really had all I wanted (except the big size, which can suck). By today's standard 12 megapixels seems too litle, but I never needed more and don't think I'd need more today. These days it's dirty cheap as well and just as great as when it was launched.

On the other hand, the D800 is arguably a much better camera, at least on paper. However, 36 megapixels is massive and I'd argue it's usually overkill for most of us. You can crop like a madman, of course, but it also comes at a price since it'll fill up your hard drive pretty quickly. You're also more dependent on great glass to take advantage of the megapixels.

I've only tried the D750 for a little while, but never really liked the ergonomics so it's out of the running. I'm not interested in the 810 or 850 either.

I think you're crazy for wanting a d800 over a d810. The d800 production run was rocked by an earthquake in thailand, it had some production problems throughout the run, like uncontrollable flare and half the left-side AF points not working. These issues were largely fixed by a few rounds of recalls, but iirc the d810 was mostly problem free throughout its run and made a lot of improvements.

If you're worried about file size, there's a small raw setting in the d810 and you can just shoot the medium jpg size.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Well, it's mostly a matter of price, as I know some people who are dumping their D800s in favour of the D850. Afaik they have been working perfectly fine, but I do remember some trouble with the D800 when it arrived. I'm leaning towards the D700, though!

There's also the possibility that I am, in fact, crazy.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Is the D600 completely forgotten? I don't think it's missing any features the D700 has, but it does add higher resolution and video recording.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

D600 had boatloads of issues too, including some kind of fluid getting on the sensor. 610 allegedly fixed it, but lot of folks had already soured on that line, and the other thing is that D750 is not that much more expensive than the 610, and it was received very well, so if you're looking for a full-frame body at that price point, everyone just funneled over to the 750.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

8th-snype posted:

That's pretty much it unless you have an F4 or FA. Except it won't think you are a stop wider it will think you are a stop slower the further away from start the AI fridge is the smaller the lens max aperture. So your lens will report to the camera that it's an f/3.3 not f/2.8.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/nikonfmount/aiais.htm

Thanks for the information. I'll pickup the lens, its only 30 dollars. I'll fabricate a shim with a prong in the correct spot that will take the place of the bunny ears like I've seen on some other pre-AI lenses. Don't need those since it's mounting on an FE2. Maybe make a shim with integrated ears. Lens will be getting taken apart anyway for a full CLA.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

nielsm posted:

Is the D600 completely forgotten? I don't think it's missing any features the D700 has, but it does add higher resolution and video recording.

If you get the sensor cleaned, it is a great camera that costs very little.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

single-mode fiber posted:

D600 had boatloads of issues too, including some kind of fluid getting on the sensor. 610 allegedly fixed it, but lot of folks had already soured on that line, and the other thing is that D750 is not that much more expensive than the 610, and it was received very well, so if you're looking for a full-frame body at that price point, everyone just funneled over to the 750.

The d600 also had a shutter made of butter and wax, one of my old DFs had the same shutter and it died after just over 40k shots.

The D750 has a sensor that's miles better, but it's lacking more pro style features like a separate AF button. I used a pair to shoot amateur sports for a year, they're excellent in low light.

If you can find a d800 that has low miles and all the recall stuff done, you should be fine.

Xabi posted:

Well, it's mostly a matter of price, as I know some people who are dumping their D800s in favour of the D850. Afaik they have been working perfectly fine, but I do remember some trouble with the D800 when it arrived. I'm leaning towards the D700, though!

There's also the possibility that I am, in fact, crazy.

if you're *really* feeling saucy, the D3s is the flagship version of the d700 for not much more.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 18, 2017

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone used the Yongnuo or other cheap wireless TTL radio triggers with Nikon speedlites? I see a lot of people liking them with third party flashes but have read mixed reports of how well they work with Nikon's first party stuff (I have an SB700 and SB910). Otherwise I've been looking at picking up a used Pocketwizard mini tt1 / flex tt5 setup but they're way more expensive.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
What the hell is Snapbridge good for? Does it let me use my phone as a wireless trigger? I mean, I don't want to shoot in some constrained JPG mode so the photo transfers wirelessly to my phone, I only want to use my phone for press butan take picture. Does it do that?

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Phanatic posted:

What the hell is Snapbridge good for? Does it let me use my phone as a wireless trigger? I mean, I don't want to shoot in some constrained JPG mode so the photo transfers wirelessly to my phone, I only want to use my phone for press butan take picture. Does it do that?

Depends on what kind of camera you have D500 should work D3400 not for example.
I think the camera needs wifi also instead of only Bluetooth.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yes it needs WiFi for the trigger.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Yeah, that I know.

What I'm specifically asking is that, assuming the camera supports it (like, assume it's a brand-effing new d850), can I install the Snapbridge app on my phone and use it as a wireless trigger for the camera. I don't want to transfer a copy of the photo to the phone or anything like that. I just want to use it as a shutter release. I'm looking at Nikon's web page for it and of all the features it lists that's not one of them.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, that I know.

What I'm specifically asking is that, assuming the camera supports it (like, assume it's a brand-effing new d850), can I install the Snapbridge app on my phone and use it as a wireless trigger for the camera. I don't want to transfer a copy of the photo to the phone or anything like that. I just want to use it as a shutter release. I'm looking at Nikon's web page for it and of all the features it lists that's not one of them.
Does this help?

This was a D500 linked via Snapbridge, and I was able to change the ISO (I'd left it @ 16k after taking pictures the other night), activate AF, and snap a picture via the phone.

It did automatically transfer a relatively low-res/quality .JPEG (the one you see here) to the phone, but that may be configurable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, that I know.

Yes.