Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

""""plot"""

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Getsuya posted:

The question of why it's not getting an English translation is hard to ignore but what the heck it's a topdown shooter who needs to read it. Day 1 purchase for me.

It's an easy question to answer at least

Getting touhou on steam = simple to do = gets done

Getting someone to translate the game = not simple to do = doesn't get done

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

plot means rear end y'all

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Aurora posted:

plot means rear end y'all

thats what i said

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

El Burbo posted:

thats what i said

no, you were a coward, hector

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
hector con carne

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://sakugabooru.com/data/9e966553b7ab723db50c6ada2e35c35c.mp4

:yeah:

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

El Burbo posted:

me, several times

That's a lot of plot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Waffleman_ posted:

The plot of every Touhou game is a bunch of jerks beating up other jerks because a weird thing happened, then having a tea party.

Actually they get shitfaced drunk on sake. Common misconception.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yakitate

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JDlEpvE-cs

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

The plot of every Touhou game is a bunch of jerks beating up other jerks because a weird thing happened, then having a tea party.

Sounds very high T

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like big plots

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The H:ATE remake's graphics are looking pretty good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow, people weren't kidding about the different versions of Gatchaman Crowd's last episode. I really want to know how that even happened.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Having now watched the anime for Re;zero instead of having just read the light novels, they actually did a really good job adapting it to an anime. I've read like, 2 light novels before so maybe that's common but I was impressed!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
God drat Sarada’s arc in Boruto is a feels roller coaster. When will I stop crying?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Moe was, for a very long time, associated with vapid slice-of-life shows about cute girls doing cute things. The release of several Moe shows in the mid 2000s started a sort of Shōjo renaissance, leading to a flood of 'cute girls doing cute things' style shows that were, at the time, a breath of fresh air compared to the endless parade of shonen giant-robot shows and ultra-dark, increasingly contrived seinen shows. However, as these moe shows caught on with a male audience, a change began to take form.

The most noticeable immediate change was in drawing/modeling style. Compare female lead characters from the 90s and early 2000s with characters from today. Compare Black Lagoon's Levy to 2b. Compare Tifa to Pyra (or any of the female characters from Xenoblade, really). The female characters features in shonen and seinen media have grown more exaggeratedly effeminate and adolescent while still retaining their overt sexualization. In other words, characters appear to look younger than they are while still retaining classic anime sexualization.

Yet its' not only in character inception and design that that moe sinks it's vapid, quivering tentacles. I think the much worse and more pervasive way moe has shifted characterization is in animation and how women are animated in games and anime. This is so subtle that I don't even know what to call it, but I find certain animations to be completely stomach churning. The most obvious example is when a female character is suddenly rotoscoped or animated at a much higher frame rate than male counterparts (for animators out there, when characters are drawn on 1's instead of 2's or 3's).

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
4 episodes in, Turn A is pretty good.

I'm hooked.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Herbotron posted:

Yuyushiki is very good to watch while a little drunk. It's also good in general.
:yeah:

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Space Flower posted:

Moe was, for a very long time, associated with vapid slice-of-life shows about cute girls doing cute things. The release of several Moe shows in the mid 2000s started a sort of Shōjo renaissance, leading to a flood of 'cute girls doing cute things' style shows that were, at the time, a breath of fresh air compared to the endless parade of shonen giant-robot shows and ultra-dark, increasingly contrived seinen shows. However, as these moe shows caught on with a male audience, a change began to take form.

The most noticeable immediate change was in drawing/modeling style. Compare female lead characters from the 90s and early 2000s with characters from today. Compare Black Lagoon's Levy to 2b. Compare Tifa to Pyra (or any of the female characters from Xenoblade, really). The female characters features in shonen and seinen media have grown more exaggeratedly effeminate and adolescent while still retaining their overt sexualization. In other words, characters appear to look younger than they are while still retaining classic anime sexualization.

Yet its' not only in character inception and design that that moe sinks it's vapid, quivering tentacles. I think the much worse and more pervasive way moe has shifted characterization is in animation and how women are animated in games and anime. This is so subtle that I don't even know what to call it, but I find certain animations to be completely stomach churning. The most obvious example is when a female character is suddenly rotoscoped or animated at a much higher frame rate than male counterparts (for animators out there, when characters are drawn on 1's instead of 2's or 3's).

(from back of auditorium) oh for sure my dude

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

latest episode of urahara got real dark all of a sudden

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sefal posted:

4 episodes in, Turn A is pretty good.

I'm hooked.

Japanese man affecting a perfect British accent voice: Turn A Gundam.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Space Flower posted:

Which Games poster is this

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'll kick their asses for spelling it "Levy."

It's short for Rebecca, you fucks.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sakurazuka posted:

Which Games poster is this

The fact that Nintendo chose to lean on Moe stylings for Zelda showcases just how little attention this character got in her actual characterization. Acting 'cute', innocent, and vulnerable coupled with extreme closeups and soft lighting are simply Otaku baiting shortcuts at best, and at worse full on leaning into harmful female stereotyping by applying childlike movement and characterization to a young women.

There are many, many more examples of this sort of character style in Japanese media, but Zelda's struck me as particularly egregious because I had hoped Nintendo would be above it. Moe trash like the characters of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is basically expected at this point, but for moe styling to find its way into general audience is annoying and questionable.

Ok, so where do we go from here? Why bring this up at all? Well, as we continue to talk about representation in gaming and both the overt and invisible ways groups are represented in our hobby, this felt like an area that has been left mostly unexplored. I think it goes without saying that sex and sexy things are not in and of themselves bad, nor is media made specifically for this purpose. But when we find certain patterns emerging in general audience media, or even niche media where such things are otherwise unnecessary, I feel like we should really reflect on what this says about ourselves and the cultures that consume said media.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So that'll be a large number 4 with a Sprite. $6.50 at the second window please.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Araki posted:

latest episode of urahara got real dark all of a sudden

I've not seen it yet but it's been heading there for a few episodes now so I'm not surprised. :ohdear:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Waffleman_ posted:

So that'll be a large number 4 with a Sprite. $6.50 at the second window please.

You made me laugh very loudly in my office, prompting multiple people to ask what was funny.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Sindai posted:

Wow, people weren't kidding about the different versions of Gatchaman Crowd's last episode. I really want to know how that even happened.

Production issues, as always. Probably the CG for OD's fight was delayed, so they made the recap half of ep 11. Cut that and move everything back half an ep(minus one of the duped half of 12/13) and you'd have the original plan.

The final part was probably the least finished so it was dropped, but drat they should have at least got some of it. Drop the Op/Ed and squeeze and cut that poo poo in.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol Link is just as moe or more so than Zelda

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm about to play botw again pray for me

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Everything should be more adorable. If everything in this world was more heart-meltingly cute and it became more widely accepted for people of any gender or background to openly admit that they like things that are cute would we really have wars anymore?

All the anger and rage of our day is due to folks being pressured by society to not show their softer emotions. Yes, life has made us all tsundere. It’s time for the dere my brothers and sisters.

It’s time for the dere.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm about to play botw again pray for me

but the last dlc isn't out yet

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

More like dere...ere.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Getsuya posted:

It’s time for the dere.

:hai:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Getsuya posted:

Everything should be more adorable. If everything in this world was more heart-meltingly cute and it became more widely accepted for people of any gender or background to openly admit that they like things that are cute would we really have wars anymore?
No wars? Sure. Just answer this one question:

Who is best girl?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Eela6 posted:

No wars? Sure. Just answer this one question:

Who is best girl?

Look inside your heart for the answer, silly.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BOTW Zelda doesn't strike me as particularly moe tbh

Has that dude not played OOT or Wind Waker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dryzen posted:

but the last dlc isn't out yet

I know but I'm jonesing here

• Locked thread