Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

iamsosmrt posted:

If you have Enkidu, that's another source of Medica in your back pocket. The trickiest thing is avoiding AOE attacks to not kill Rinoa yourself.
With enough damage potential it can be fine to use the occasional AoE, like I did with Quistis BSB. The key there is just to use it as a stepping stone to something greater, like buffing stats for a single-target command or in my case to apply an aura for an OSB. (I have three characters with an aura->OSB combo, and funny enough two of them are from FF8.)

Also I wouldn't neglect Protectga. Adel only has the one physical command, but I recall from the past event that Flare Bomber (which is ranged) still hurts like a monster without the full suite of standard defenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Why the hell is my healer using Curada on a party member when I target Rinoa with it in this Adel fight? Between this and doublecasts targeting her, this fight is loving obnoxious.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Why the hell is my healer using Curada on a party member when I target Rinoa with it in this Adel fight? Between this and doublecasts targeting her, this fight is loving obnoxious.

Curada can't be enemy targeted, probably since enemies don't use HP stock. Try Curaga or maybe Ultra Cure.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Prism posted:

Curada can't be enemy targeted, probably since enemies don't use HP stock. Try Curaga or maybe Ultra Cure.

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Thanks!

edit: arghhhhh this fight sucks so loving much, I'm seriously going to have to bring 2 healers for this? It's already such a slow grind.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 16, 2017

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
FF9 torments done:

:ninja:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

With enough damage potential it can be fine to use the occasional AoE, like I did with Quistis BSB. The key there is just to use it as a stepping stone to something greater, like buffing stats for a single-target command or in my case to apply an aura for an OSB. (I have three characters with an aura->OSB combo, and funny enough two of them are from FF8.)

Also I wouldn't neglect Protectga. Adel only has the one physical command, but I recall from the past event that Flare Bomber (which is ranged) still hurts like a monster without the full suite of standard defenses.

Yeah, I had some AoE, but it's still generally something to be aware of, especially later in the fight if all of your buffs are up. Protectga can be very helpful still, but it's certainly doable without (I did anyway), so if you need the extra DPS, you do what you gotta do.

Anyway, there's many strategies to beating Adel, these are all simply valid solutions that can be explored.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm getting really drat close now with this setup:

Ramza (Shout, Full Break + Power Breakdown)
Sazh (BSB, Wrath + Armor Breakdown)
Minwu (SSB/BSB, Curaja + Shellga)
Zidane (USB, Dash & Slash + Lifesiphon)
Vaan (BSB, Magic Breakdown + Lifesiphon)

I had Adel down to no visible healthbar on my closest run. :argh:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Does anyone else find the "Manage Accounts" screen incredibly confusing? Both options say they will wipe out all data in different ways. I almost threw up yesterday because I thought I had messed it up and erased all my data

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm getting really drat close now with this setup:

Ramza (Shout, Full Break + Power Breakdown)
Sazh (BSB, Wrath + Armor Breakdown)
Minwu (SSB/BSB, Curaja + Shellga)
Zidane (USB, Dash & Slash + Lifesiphon)
Vaan (BSB, Magic Breakdown + Lifesiphon)

I had Adel down to no visible healthbar on my closest run. :argh:

Do you have anyone else you can use over Sazh? The little extra boost probably isn't helping that much since you're likely close to capping with just shout and magicites. Another DPS option perhaps.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jose Valasquez posted:

Does anyone else find the "Manage Accounts" screen incredibly confusing? Both options say they will wipe out all data in different ways. I almost threw up yesterday because I thought I had messed it up and erased all my data

it confuses me too, i think i linked the account to the iOS game center thing but i have no idea if it's updating the save automatically or if i ever end up buying a new phone i'm going to load up ffrk and get a save file from 2 years ago

which would actually kind of be a blessing because it would be a good incentive to drop the thing entirely

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

iamsosmrt posted:

Do you have anyone else you can use over Sazh? The little extra boost probably isn't helping that much since you're likely close to capping with just shout and magicites. Another DPS option perhaps.

I'm using Sazh more for the stacking debuff commands on the Burst. ATK/DEF and MAG/RES respectively, it really helps to soften Adel's bullshit. Also I don't have magicites because I still haven't finished the nightmares. 8'D

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
OMG I'm actually grinding this stupid Shinra gauntlet for MDOs

I can't believe I'm doing this to hone ninja abilities for faster magicite clears

What am I doing with my life?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm using Sazh more for the stacking debuff commands on the Burst. ATK/DEF and MAG/RES respectively, it really helps to soften Adel's bullshit. Also I don't have magicites because I still haven't finished the nightmares. 8'D

If you have DPS options, I'd suggest giving it a shot. I looked into his BSB and I think his commands are only 20% per, which is really 10% after resistance (right?). It stacks, but I don't think it'll make or break (no pun intended) this battle. Then again, it sounds like you were very close before. Are you worried about completing the 4 tower CMs? If so, makes sense.

Elephant Ambush posted:

OMG I'm actually grinding this stupid Shinra gauntlet for MDOs

I can't believe I'm doing this to hone ninja abilities for faster magicite clears

What am I doing with my life?

Did you ever farm the FFX Torment?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
it sucks that the drains on rinoa get stronger and start breaking cap. i was able to kill her just as she killed rinoa and the onslaught was beginning

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

iamsosmrt posted:

Did you ever farm the FFX Torment?

No because it was 60 stamina per run and screw that. This is only 7 stamina and maybe a few minutes at a time. I might get exactly 1 extra ninja hone out of it but so far I'm not burned out on it yet.

Not gonna lie one of the things that keeps me doing this is that I love the animations on the trash mobs when they get rag dolled backwards and their weapons go spinning around. I'm not sure why that cracks me up so much but it does :shrug:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

iamsosmrt posted:

If you have DPS options, I'd suggest giving it a shot. I looked into his BSB and I think his commands are only 20% per, which is really 10% after resistance (right?). It stacks, but I don't think it'll make or break (no pun intended) this battle. Then again, it sounds like you were very close before. Are you worried about completing the 4 tower CMs? If so, makes sense.

I DID IT! I lost mastery but I don't give a gently caress because Adel is dead. :toot:

And yeah I do want the CMs for those delicious motes but the biggest hurdle is done. Next up is Squall. :shepicide:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
squall hits really hard for someone who ignores def/res and cant be stat broken so be prepped for that. last stand and instant heals will be your friend as well as your strongest elemental attackers

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Okay I'm actually feeling good about my team balance and think I can beat the Fire Magicite boss pretty regularly with this setup....and my healer got paralyzed despite affliction break being up.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

No because it was 60 stamina per run and screw that. This is only 7 stamina and maybe a few minutes at a time. I might get exactly 1 extra ninja hone out of it but so far I'm not burned out on it yet.

Not gonna lie one of the things that keeps me doing this is that I love the animations on the trash mobs when they get rag dolled backwards and their weapons go spinning around. I'm not sure why that cracks me up so much but it does :shrug:

60 stamina's significant and all (plus setting up FFRKreeper), but for most times when there's no renewal dungeons or whatever, it's what, stamina towards Torment farming or stamina towards dailies? Plus, it's pretty nice to use all your stamina and not have to be OCD about it for hours. Anyway, to each their own.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I DID IT! I lost mastery but I don't give a gently caress because Adel is dead. :toot:

And yeah I do want the CMs for those delicious motes but the biggest hurdle is done. Next up is Squall. :shepicide:

Congrats! The good news is you don't need proshellga or wall! The bad news is, it's a zerg-rush DPS race. Good luck!

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I'm not sure if installing a drop tracker and then retreating and entering the fight for five minutes to get the right drop is any less effort than three shinra runs even if you smash it in two turns when you finally get to fight.

It's a bit of an effort but you'll thank yourself later down the road if you farm some of either. Ninja abilities are especially hone intensive because they have a shorter cast time than most other abilities.

Just don't overdo it and burn yourself out.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm definitely not arguing the stamina efficiency, but there's a sanity factor of only doing the Torment farming a couple times a day versus the constant, endless drain of this Shinra battle.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm starting to really dislike how a lot of the difficulty of this game comes from it being real time rather than turn based. Having to mash in commands in a split second window without thinking about them, even at the slowest speed, is not fun. Oh and also you can't input commands during soul break, summon, and magicite animations for some reason. Magicite animations in particular are bullshit., because all they do is pop up randomly to do piddly damage and interrupt what you were trying to do.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Thanks!

edit: arghhhhh this fight sucks so loving much, I'm seriously going to have to bring 2 healers for this? It's already such a slow grind.

If you're still going at it I would suggest 2 healers and bring your best DPS possible. I got through thanks to Squall BSB2 which just drowned Adel in damage when I got it running.

Edit: Just to add a bit more, if you can manage it make your second healer someone with a boostga and/or faithga along with White access. You mostly just need them healing to keep Rinoa alive and condensing roles will help a bit.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 16, 2017

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm starting to really dislike how a lot of the difficulty of this game comes from it being real time rather than turn based. Having to mash in commands in a split second window without thinking about them, even at the slowest speed, is not fun. Oh and also you can't input commands during soul break, summon, and magicite animations for some reason. Magicite animations in particular are bullshit., because all they do is pop up randomly to do piddly damage and interrupt what you were trying to do.

ive gotten into the habit of pausing when commands appear so i remember what i was planning on doing or figure out what needs to be done without losing precious time

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

So the secret to sub 30 golem was kicking Fujin and Alphinaud off the team.

Terror is a good girl.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Squall and Adel got hairy, yes, but the biggest challenge was keeping poor Setzer alive while Adamantoise seemed to direct every attack at him. I'm not sure anyone else even dropped under two-thirds health, and I had three people healing him every turn.

Don't try and radiant shield your way past Squall by the way, you will have a bad time.

edit: I noticed we're getting a free 50 mythril for "Autumn", which based on the timing leads me to believe we're getting another Black Friday draw. I wonder if it might be different from last year's?

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 16, 2017

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!
It's weird, two weeks ago I was still hurting for *5 dexterity motes, and between the last two torments and the Crystal Tower I now have over 200. Go figure.

That leaves me with full legend dives on Agrias, Celes, Vanille, Ramza, Raines, Terra, and Delita, which covers a lot of bases. Not really sure who I'll do next. I do have Shadow's USB and SSB, but I was going to hold out for Yuffie to get all the cool poo poo she has in Japan; do we know when we're getting her LD/BSB2/USB2? Probably the 3rd Anniversary fest?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Thank you renewal dungeon mythril. You died so that Kain may have his Ultra, Overstrike, Burst and LMR :pray:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

So the secret to sub 30 golem was kicking Fujin and Alphinaud off the team.

Terror is a good girl.
Definitely giving this a shot, since Terror has all her goodies. Meltdown has wind, but are you loading Terra for fire damage?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

expectation: well all i have for ffiv is some lovely cids gloves ssb, time to go 1/11 with it being an lmr

reality:

Cowcaster posted:

it confuses me too, i think i linked the account to the iOS game center thing but i have no idea if it's updating the save automatically or if i ever end up buying a new phone i'm going to load up ffrk and get a save file from 2 years ago

which would actually kind of be a blessing because it would be a good incentive to drop the thing entirely

i got a new phone while the link to facebook button wasnt working with ios11 and the gamecenter backup worked fine

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

This game is like an MMO, you login to the server and the server saves your data. If the game is still running 2 years later, then you just login with your "password/username" combo. That's why it suggests you create a social account/game center account, because those are unlikely to go away and it's easy enough to recover if you've tied your account in.

You don't have your username/password? you'd have to contact support and prove it's you (by providing a stupid amount of details about your account)

Kumog
Dec 28, 2006
Am I your god?
"Man, I shouldn't pull on this banner, I have every Ed item, Kain/Ceo's BSB already...I'm gonna get duped to hell. Passing."
"hey have 5 myth a day for 10 days."
"gently caress it, let's roll them bones once."

2/11. Ceodore USB. Tellah BSB.

Two items I was really wanting (third being Kain USB). You know what, this is completely fine.

Now to debate on whether to remove Strago from my Hydra team, or replace Cid 14 with Tellah and just go whole mage meta comp vs it, no imperils.
(Maria, OK, Strago, Rosa, Cid14 being the team, all with BSBs (USB in Rosa's case). Nowhere near sub30 but it's reliable.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tellah BSB, Kain BSB, and Edward SSB. Always good to have another caster for some of these nightmare things.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bell_ posted:

Definitely giving this a shot, since Terror has all her goodies. Meltdown has wind, but are you loading Terra for fire damage?

Assumedly the enfire is a side-effect of using her USB, which gives her +30% MAG and quickcast with which to better spam Meltdowns.

EDIT: And Tiamats, for that matter, I always forget Terra has Summon 5.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

And that's done, had to tinker with my Squall party for a bit before I realized Entrust was the best route to take but ultimately went pretty well.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

How good is this banner? I have Kain's BSB (my only potential dupe) and it would be rad to get his USB, but the rest of the banner looks a bit meh. I think someone mentioned that there's a banner later with Kain's chain on it that's better?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Bell_ posted:

Yeah, burn everything. I imperil with Mom Bomb and leverage Terra's incredible USB and Trance LM to pump out OSBs with gauge entrusted from ok and Ramza.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

How good is this banner? I have Kain's BSB (my only potential dupe) and it would be rad to get his USB, but the rest of the banner looks a bit meh. I think someone mentioned that there's a banner later with Kain's chain on it that's better?

Third anniversary has him on a banner with Lightning and Squall's new stuff, so if you can wait that long it's a much better option.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

LornMarkus posted:

Third anniversary has him on a banner with Lightning and Squall's new stuff, so if you can wait that long it's a much better option.

Cool, definitely not in a rush since there's so many good banners coming up. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Adel fight advice:

You can cast Shell on Rinoa to reduce drain's damage.
If you cast renewing cure on Rinoa, the regen will heal her for 3k every tick.
Adel doesn't drain Rinoa until her weak phase so bring just a enelement OSBer and entrust bot, dick around for a bit wrathing up, and then blitz the boss down in a handful of turns while avoiding the fight's gimmick.

• Locked thread