Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
JL just confirmed my ongoing suspicion that Cyborg is the most boring character imaginable and no amount of DC's absurd, painful attempts at pushing him will ever work. It was the exact same story as Forever Evil but this time with way worse, cheesy dialogue. And bad cheesy, not endearing cheesy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyGx3m1gPZI

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
The Batman Who Laughs is dark. I suppose that was to be expected.

They're also a lock to win.

But when it comes to Cyborg, do you think a more realistic take on technology would help? Like if he was capable of actual high end technology (but still limited) rather than the 'technology that is basically magic' he does?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

nofather posted:

The Batman Who Laughs is dark. I suppose that was to be expected.

They're also a lock to win.

But when it comes to Cyborg, do you think a more realistic take on technology would help? Like if he was capable of actual high end technology (but still limited) rather than the 'technology that is basically magic' he does?

I don't know if there's a big place for Cyborg otherwise, which is probably why he's not just a robot guy anymore, he's an Apokolips robot guy. Even in the Batman family alone there's like four teenagers who can basically do anything with technology the writers can come up with. The only niche for Cyborg is that he can teleport the team around. He's like a mage the group only keeps around so they can easily portal back to Ironforge once the raid is done.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

purple death ray posted:

I don't know if there's a big place for Cyborg otherwise, which is probably why he's not just a robot guy anymore, he's an Apokolips robot guy. Even in the Batman family alone there's like four teenagers who can basically do anything with technology the writers can come up with. The only niche for Cyborg is that he can teleport the team around. He's like a mage the group only keeps around so they can easily portal back to Ironforge once the raid is done.

I just kinda see him as a tag in for Martian Manhunter.

Tremendous power, usually does more utilitarian stuff, sorta alienated from the general world, but easier to take on without using a crippling weakness (a virus, instead of fire).

I'd like to see him as more. I'm not a fan of old Teen Titans but apparently they were popular at some point. And having him team up with a bunch of teenagers is weird.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
So why did Bendis jump to DC?

Brian Michael Bendis: Cleveland library's Superman exhibit convinced him to go to DC Comics

Get ready for Action Comics #1000, written by Brian Bendis!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nofather posted:

I just kinda see him as a tag in for Martian Manhunter.

This is exactly what he is. Johns hasn't ever really been quiet about how he doesn't really get MM.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

JL just confirmed my ongoing suspicion that Cyborg is the most boring character imaginable and no amount of DC's absurd, painful attempts at pushing him will ever work. It was the exact same story as Forever Evil but this time with way worse, cheesy dialogue. And bad cheesy, not endearing cheesy.

The Teen Titans animated series (both of them) found ways to make him a fun and interesting character but the Snyderverse seems to have a moratorium on "fun" and "interesting".

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

This is exactly what he is. Johns hasn't ever really been quiet about how he doesn't really get MM.

Exactly. Johns is a big stupid smelly butthead for that one. MM has been in every iteration of the League.

And I always thought what made Cyborg good was his relationships with the other Teen Titans and his constant struggle with losing his humanity. He doesn't have that poo poo with the League.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Revol posted:

So why did Bendis jump to DC?

Brian Michael Bendis: Cleveland library's Superman exhibit convinced him to go to DC Comics

Get ready for Action Comics #1000, written by Brian Bendis!

One of the many writers. Would be nice if all the big name writers and artists did a bit for this issue.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Kaleidoscope posted:

The Teen Titans animated series (both of them) found ways to make him a fun and interesting character but the Snyderverse seems to have a moratorium on "fun" and "interesting".

You can never port the cartoon version of these characters because, while cute and funny, the show very rarely focused on Cyborg and the things they did focus on are the biggest problems with the comics and don't translate as well to an adult. Those themes also couldn't hold up under a monthly comic book focus. It's like saying the show did Raven well -- the show was just doing stuff we've seen in comics a million times before but we were kids when we watched it and knew nothing else. Or at least I was.

Cyborg's woes date back far before Snyderverse and trying to inject the movies as the reason why Cyborg has been boring since the 90s isn't much of a point.

pubic works project posted:

Exactly. Johns is a big stupid smelly butthead for that one. MM has been in every iteration of the League.

And I always thought what made Cyborg good was his relationships with the other Teen Titans and his constant struggle with losing his humanity. He doesn't have that poo poo with the League.

His struggle with his humanity is literally the only thing he ever does have in both his solo and in the JL and is why he's so boring. You can't regurgitate the same storyline a million times and call it good writing. It's the same reason why the Titans franchise has been so bad so often -- reliving the same Wolfman era stuff over and over again.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Green Lanterns continues to be really fun (though this issue has the unfortunate fill-in-week artist issue) though Super Sons is probably the standout of the week or maybe even month. :allears:

Metal tie-ins remain patently uninteresting, but is JL the first time we've heard that Cyborg and Raven actually have some sort of history together in either the N52 or in Rebirth? Or else why would she be going on and on about how great his heart is and how much she believes in him or whatever?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

pubic works project posted:

MM has been in every iteration of the League.

I think I recall a Brave and the Bold episode throwing a bit of shade at the new Justice League that the Nu52 brought in. (As the show was ending as that started.) Batman had just created a new Justice League and had just gotten the Martian to join. The Justice Society had also decided to come and take a look at he new league judging it pretty harshly. I recall this comment from Jay Garrick.

"Well at least "you" have the Martian, it's just not a justice league without the Martian."

Which I agree with.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 16, 2017

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

BrianWilly posted:

Metal tie-ins remain patently uninteresting, but is JL the first time we've heard that Cyborg and Raven actually have some sort of history together in either the N52 or in Rebirth? Or else why would she be going on and on about how great his heart is and how much she believes in him or whatever?

Hypertime.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

One of the many writers. Would be nice if all the big name writers and artists did a bit for this issue.

Supposedly the HC is going to have a huge gallery section with unreleased pieces from great Superman artists that have passed on.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think I recall a Brave and the Bold episode throwing a bit of shade at the new Justice League that the Nu52 brought in. (As the show was ending as that started.) Batman had just created a new Justice League and had just gotten the Martian to join. The Justice Society had also decided to come and take a look at he new league judging it pretty harshly. I recall this comment from Jay Garrick.

"Well at least "you" have the Martian, it's just not a justice league without the Martian."

Which I agree with.

My man.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

BrianWilly posted:

Green Lanterns continues to be really fun (though this issue has the unfortunate fill-in-week artist issue) though Super Sons is probably the standout of the week or maybe even month. :allears:

I'm giving Green Lanterns a try for the first time. I thought this story was cute and I love stories where the newbies who know less make the right call because they're not blinded by prejudice.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just back from the movie and Victor was actually my favorite part*. He had a heck of a lot more to do for the team than blimmin' Aquaman.
I liked Flash too, but they gave him a few too many clunky one-liners.

Not enough JK Simmons.

*Faint praise. JL was a dull load, but the kid did alright.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Two Tone Shoes posted:

You can never port the cartoon version of these characters because, while cute and funny, the show very rarely focused on Cyborg and the things they did focus on are the biggest problems with the comics and don't translate as well to an adult. Those themes also couldn't hold up under a monthly comic book focus. It's like saying the show did Raven well -- the show was just doing stuff we've seen in comics a million times before but we were kids when we watched it and knew nothing else. Or at least I was.

Cyborg's woes date back far before Snyderverse and trying to inject the movies as the reason why Cyborg has been boring since the 90s isn't much of a point.

His struggle with his humanity is literally the only thing he ever does have in both his solo and in the JL and is why he's so boring. You can't regurgitate the same storyline a million times and call it good writing. It's the same reason why the Titans franchise has been so bad so often -- reliving the same Wolfman era stuff over and over again.

I would argue that you totally can port the cartoon version pretty easily and make Cyborg sooooo much better. Because I watched the cartoon way before I got into comics and I liked Cyborg, because Cyborg was fun*. Which is the problem with comic Cyborg. He's dull as poo poo. Hell, it'd be great if they did regurgitate Wolfman, because at least angst is an emotion or a character trait that distinguishes him from a decoration on the Watchtower's wall. Current Cyborg might as well just be a walking teleporter, since that's all he ever seems to do in JL comics (besides get owned constantly). So yeah, bring in the cartoon that cracks jokes and annoys Raven Batman, as long as Plastic Man's not around the Justice League could use a little levity.** Oh and they should make him blue again. I know that'll never happen now that the movie's out and they're gonna stick with movie designs, but he's all gray/silver and red, it's such a boring color palette.

*look I know the Teen Titans cartoon was not a masterpiece of writing, I'm not going to argue that; but it worked for me when I was a teenager and I remember Cyborg being the best because he was funny and also had a loving arm cannon. Frankly the fact that Johns and so many other writers have made a character with an arm cannon lame is a crime.

**Actually speaking of levity in the JL, whatever happened to Shazam? He was on the League when Johns was writing, then Rebirth happened... and he's not there anymore. Did they kick him off at some point in some issue I missed?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 16, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
mild wild storm discussion: while i have mixed sentiments on the art and colours, zealot in her field gear looks cool and striking.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I guess I was a fool for thinking the Batman who Laughs was gonna be anything over than the ultimate edge lord blandfest.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/1moreGaryFrank/status/930866183036948485

:v:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Rosarch's gonna take his mask off and it's Prez

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Rosarch's gonna take his mask off and it's Prez

I will buy 100 copies

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Neurosis posted:

mild wild storm discussion: while i have mixed sentiments on the art and colours, zealot in her field gear looks cool and striking.

I'm hoping they're building up to some sort of art explosion. It's annoyed me since the beginning that Wildstorm, something known for its dynamic art, is rebooted in the most traditional and nondynamic fashion.

But it is a countdown, and Ellis has said it's going to blow up so I guess it's just a matter of waiting. All the pieces are there. Bendix is going to do Fire from Heaven, Voodoo is going to leak everything. Conspiracies just won't be conspiracies anymore. It's not as if it's a new concept for Ellis, he did DV8.

And yeah, Zealot looks great. I enjoy how they handled Cash, too, wondering what's going to happen when they zero in on him.

nofather fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 16, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Wonder Woman/Batman comic is official. 'Brave and the Bold' miniseries written and drawn by Liam Sharp.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.83fe6b71fd04

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Has he ever written anything of note?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Has he ever written anything of note?

Looks like he's mostly an artist, can't find anything he's written before.

Barnes and Noble has a buy two get one free deal going on for Marvel and DC. At least in my area.

Also the Tomasi Batman & Robin Omnibus is loving huge.

nofather fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 16, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TwoPair posted:

Actually speaking of levity in the JL, whatever happened to Shazam? He was on the League when Johns was writing, then Rebirth happened... and he's not there anymore. Did they kick him off at some point in some issue I missed?
They are apparently making him back into his Captain Marvel self.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

They are apparently making him back into his Captain Marvel self.

You think?

https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/931152047147073536

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

His books are still called Shazam.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
His books have always been called Shazam while he was at DC :colbert:

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I would argue that you totally can port the cartoon version pretty easily and make Cyborg sooooo much better. Because I watched the cartoon way before I got into comics and I liked Cyborg, because Cyborg was fun*. Which is the problem with comic Cyborg. He's dull as poo poo. Hell, it'd be great if they did regurgitate Wolfman, because at least angst is an emotion or a character trait that distinguishes him from a decoration on the Watchtower's wall. Current Cyborg might as well just be a walking teleporter, since that's all he ever seems to do in JL comics (besides get owned constantly). So yeah, bring in the cartoon that cracks jokes and annoys Raven Batman, as long as Plastic Man's not around the Justice League could use a little levity.** Oh and they should make him blue again. I know that'll never happen now that the movie's out and they're gonna stick with movie designs, but he's all gray/silver and red, it's such a boring color palette.

*look I know the Teen Titans cartoon was not a masterpiece of writing, I'm not going to argue that; but it worked for me when I was a teenager and I remember Cyborg being the best because he was funny and also had a loving arm cannon. Frankly the fact that Johns and so many other writers have made a character with an arm cannon lame is a crime.

**Actually speaking of levity in the JL, whatever happened to Shazam? He was on the League when Johns was writing, then Rebirth happened... and he's not there anymore. Did they kick him off at some point in some issue I missed?

He's the same character, man. You just don't have the wacky voice acting to sell the Booyahs. Saying Booyah and mulling over being pulled between man and machine is the only thing he's done for 40 years. I don't know how you got the opposite of that out of what I said. It's less explored in the JL but it's been done, like, 3 times in JL already and even more before the New 52.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

nofather posted:

I'm hoping they're building up to some sort of art explosion. It's annoyed me since the beginning that Wildstorm, something known for its dynamic art, is rebooted in the most traditional and nondynamic fashion.

But it is a countdown, and Ellis has said it's going to blow up so I guess it's just a matter of waiting. All the pieces are there. Bendix is going to do Fire from Heaven, Voodoo is going to leak everything. Conspiracies just won't be conspiracies anymore. It's not as if it's a new concept for Ellis, he did DV8.

And yeah, Zealot looks great. I enjoy how they handled Cash, too, wondering what's going to happen when they zero in on him.

You see flashes of interesting visuals whenever the really alien or mystical stuff comes in focus and it looks great. Just... Ninety prevent of the book is in rooms that are bizarrely nondescript. Cash feels like a reasonable evolution of old Wildstorm Grifter so I don't mind what we've seen so far. The Engineer, Void, Emp and Jenny Sparks (from what little we've seen) too. Some of the others though... John Colt has 0 in common with Spartan except they're both Kheran.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
My officemate told me to read Mister Miracle as he claims it's absolutely incredible. True/false?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Did you like Tom King's Vision? Could you take an even more traumatising take on a superhero?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Are there any cyborgs in comics who DON'T bitch about their humanity all the time? Serious question because I'd really like to see someone turn into a cyborg and just be "Fukken sweet, I don't have to worry about cancer anymore!" or some poo poo.

Hmm. I guess Transmetropolitan has cyborgs who just use their new bodies to find new and interesting ways to gently caress, but that's the only one off the top of my head.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ultron T-Rex in the last Squirrel Girl arc seemed to be having a great time without any angst about not being a real person or dinosaur.

Edit: The one interesting thing about The Jetsons comic is Rosie being a shell for George's mother to live on after she died.
There's melancholy about it, but she prefers being there.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 17, 2017

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Unrelated note, what's with all the Trump lover avatars I'm seeing lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

McCloud posted:

Unrelated note, what's with all the Trump lover avatars I'm seeing lately?

It's the default for people who don't set their own.