Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

anilEhilated posted:

Any class but Sniper can become a whirlwind of death once the skillset clicks with you, that being said Miner is actually one of the harder characters to play. My favorite would be Acrid and watching the enemies drop dead of plague by entire screenful.

Acrid is my best class that isn't the cheating rear end in a top hat Huntress. :v: He's almost as exceptional at kiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Miner, Acrid, and Sniper are my personal favorites to play.

Acrid in particular is just one of the best classes, I feel.

A lot of people swear by Mercenary but he never really clicked with me, I'm just awful with him.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I love Mercenary, but you really do need to get your rhythm right. It's a hard but fun class to master - possibly appropriate that it's the hardest to get.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I once got so many AtG rocket pods that once one activated they kept spewing out due to the damage activating other ones until literally everything was dead, it's a great game :allears:

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Monstrum

This videos bad, Happy November 4th Halloween.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, the idea's interesting, I'll give it that. Shame there's not like an automap or something.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Risk of Rain

So it turns out different classes make RoI a little more fun, but it's still not my jam. The sequel kind of looks cool, though.

:siren: POLLING STATION :siren:
I'll be on vacation next week, so this LP is on hiatus for a little while. You also have a whole week to vote on what comes next:

Dead Cells
Dead Cells is a rogue-lite, metroidvania action-platformer. You'll explore a sprawling, ever-changing castle... assuming you’re able to fight your way past its keepers in 2D souls-lite combat. No checkpoints. Kill, die, learn, repeat.

Overfall
Explore the shifting seas of a strange realm. Fight challenging foes…or befriend them. Recruit lost souls and learn their histories. Take part in stories of the absurd and the tragic, the magical and the mundane - intimate, epic, and never the same twice in this fantastic strategy roleplaying game!

Monolith
Monolith is a top down action shooter with procedurally generated elements. Explore a large, abandoned facility in search of incredible power, fighting dangerous foes and gaining new weapons and upgrades as you progress.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Dead Cells because really, that should be plenty big enough for your old man eyes.

e: Commando is what put me off of the game for a long time too. Making the starter class fun and viable should be every games' goal - it doesn't matter if your other classes are better if players don't or can't unlock them. But I knew there was more to the game than that and I'd at least tasted what the game could be so I had to pick it anyway. Also you don't really have to edit your mantra much; gently caress enemy drones. Helper drones are great.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 15, 2017

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Overfall

Either that or Monolith, but I have no strong feelings one way or another.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Dead Cells

Also, sounding off here, I've beaten Risk of Rain without artifacts. As the Sniper, because I'm a madman.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Overfall

Also haven't you already done Monolith? Or am I confusing this with a stream I watched.

Edit: That's what I get for not looking at the OP. :doh:

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 15, 2017

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Overfall

Also haven't you already done Monolith? Or am I confusing this with a stream I watched.

Second one!

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Monolith looks the most interesting to me.

Dead Cells is a fantastic game that literally everyone in this thread should buy.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

the littlest prince posted:

Dead Cells is a fantastic game that literally everyone in this thread should buy.

Indeed and that's why we should show off Dead Cells so that everyone watching the videos buys it. :v:

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Party Bug posted:

Risk of Rain

So it turns out different classes make RoI a little more fun, but it's still not my jam. The sequel kind of looks cool, though.

You're skipping a lot of stuff that makes this fun, particularly on the last level, which is basically designed for you to get all of the loot from the ship with enough time not to advance the timer too much. Look for gold canisters: they ALWAYS drop keycards.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I vote for Overfall, as I've already seen what Dead Cells is like and it sounds more interesting than Monolith.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

There's a hidden dropdown here to the chest btw.

Melee classes are fun, especially the sword dude.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm personally a huge fan of Risk of Rain, and I totally get why some people wouldn't like it but there's a lot of variation in the game between characters and how runs can go. Also I think there is a way to make things look bigger.

Also War Banners like most buffs 100% stack, it's just hard to notice on the Bandit because he already attacks as fast as you can press the button, nearly.

Some of the fun in the game is also in the item descriptions and character descriptions, there's a lot of little comedy moments all throughout.

Also, also the music is extremely fantastic. Red is the second Highest Tier, Legendary Yellow Items are the Highest and only drops from bosses. Each Boss has an item it can drop. There's about 3 bosses per level, from memory.

Finally as others have said a lot of the fun is in looping and getting to I SEE YOU! difficulty level and just letting the chaos happen as you can go to the final level at any point once you start looping. In regards to the Miner he's in the bottom right of one of the Lava Barracks levels, from memory, in a cave where you swim through Lava and Fight a unique Elder Lemurian. He's super fantastic because everything but his basic attack is a movement ability, and he's just fantastic because he's a Miner and he's stuck on this planet and has decided the solution is to give everything standing between himself and escape a pickaxe lobotomy.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 16, 2017

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Gonna post this in the OP too, but here's the ever expanding big list of games I haven't played yet but will at some point. As usual if you don't see something you think belongs on there feel free to suggest it.

Basically I'll be doing this until I die.

Nalesh posted:

There's a hidden dropdown here to the chest btw.
I have missed this like 50 times. :negative:

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 16, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'm not sure if Hand of Fate would count a rogue-lite or not but if it does, I'm suggesting it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You got a pretty amazing set of items in that run. Well done on beating Providence!
There seems to be a fair bit of backstory that isn't explained in the game at all, like the fact that the teleport receiver you beam into for the last level seems to have been in the ship before it crashed (and possibly how the invaders got on to crash it in the first place). That past LP of this game that never got finished started going into it.

I'll throw in a vote for Overfall but I haven't really heard of any of them before, so going with my gut.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Party Bug posted:

I have missed this like 50 times. :negative:

If you ever quit hard on the game, look up where all the secret areas are because it's hilarious :v:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

CirclMastr posted:

I'm not sure if Hand of Fate would count a rogue-lite or not but if it does, I'm suggesting it.

It has a Rogue-Lite mode, but the main gameplay is a little more concretely organised. It's still in the mold though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Overfall sounds really neat, let's see how that goes. Maybe it's the "fall" but it reminds me of Fallen London/Sunless Sea?

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I think it's probably just my ancient iPad but I'm getting a not available error on the risk of rain video.

EDIT: I tried it on my laptop in the morning and the video worked fine.

NinetySevenA fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 18, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

the littlest prince posted:

Monolith looks the most interesting to me.

I bought it yesterday on GMG after watching a few gameplay videos and holy poo poo. I spent five hours yesterday, dying a lot of times but unlocking stuff and actually having fun with every map regen. I noticed the build releases and the devs are really active patching.

I unlocked the retain 3000 gold on death, the bleed sword (wich I can't use after death, wtf?) and almost got the two hp potions. Any advice about the game?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Guillermus posted:

I bought it yesterday on GMG after watching a few gameplay videos and holy poo poo. I spent five hours yesterday, dying a lot of times but unlocking stuff and actually having fun with every map regen. I noticed the build releases and the devs are really active patching.

I unlocked the retain 3000 gold on death, the bleed sword (wich I can't use after death, wtf?) and almost got the two hp potions. Any advice about the game?

Unlocking an item means it can show up anywhere items show up. Just chill and have fun is my only advice.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks, I'm not trying to "speedrun" to the timed doors. The game has a lot of little mechanics that you discover naturally that feel nice like hitting doors with an enemy behind to stun them and so.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Overfall

This video took a turn.

:siren:DOTE ON A VOTE:siren:

I'll probably get the next video out in like two weeks, but here's what's up for grabs:

Captain Forever Remix
Can you create the raddest spaceship? Captain Forever Remix is the spaceship builder roguelike. Voyage across the Solar System and blast apart randomly-generated enemies for spare parts. This is an officially-licensed re-imagining of the indie classic Captain Forever.

Sunless Sea
LOSE YOUR MIND. EAT YOUR CREW. DIE. Take the helm of your steamship and set sail for the unknown! Sunless Sea is a game of discovery, loneliness and frequent death, set in the award-winning Victorian Gothic universe of Fallen London.

In Celebration of Violence
A fantasy action roguelike of exploration and murder. Live, kill, die, improve, live again.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Sunless Sea

We don't need eyes sun where we're going

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That did seem to rather drag on. It didn't look like much progression was really happening? Your meters were going up, you got a third party member at some point, but it didn't seem like the game was materially changing as you went on.

Also all that opening narration had nothing at all to do with what you're actually achieving in the game?

The core concept of trying to max out faction relations with quests isn't a bad one but it needed to be done better. I dunno, maybe it would have played out differently if you'd tried to focus on each faction in turn to max them out since it seems like each island tells you who might be on there. But it all looks like it just takes too long. After half an hour of sped-up progress you still didn't seem that close to meeting any of the six goals.

I'll vote for Sunless Sea because I've heard of it but don't know anything more.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I'm casting a vote for Captain Forever. There's already an excellent LP of Sunless Sea (which hasn't been archived for some reason).

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
A-minus rant, would watch again.

Also a vote for Sunless Sea for quality whiplash on "sail around and weird things happen" games.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

In Celebration of Violence because it reminds me of IVAN and I want to believe.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
it makes me sad when the game makes pbug sad

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Yeah, my vote is somewhat contrary but Sunless Sea should be a good palate cleanser assuming that wins.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

In Celebration of Violence

How much fail there would be in rip and rearing, I wonder?

NHO fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 5, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

That game looked like garbage, and Community is great, so I think you did what you could.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Update: Season 5 is actually the best season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fSW3vmRpV0

Tenebrais posted:

Also all that opening narration had nothing at all to do with what you're actually achieving in the game?

The core concept of trying to max out faction relations with quests isn't a bad one but it needed to be done better. I dunno, maybe it would have played out differently if you'd tried to focus on each faction in turn to max them out since it seems like each island tells you who might be on there. But it all looks like it just takes too long. After half an hour of sped-up progress you still didn't seem that close to meeting any of the six goals.
So the opening thing is kind of relevant, the two heroes get sent on a quest to get a thing and then the game starts when they come back and realize a million years had passed or whatever.

I probably could have offered a more articulate criticism, but the main issue is that it's just a super tedious game that offers not a lot in the way of strategy or meaningful choice to give the illusion that it isn't. The combat and samey and no matter what party members you have it still feels like everything takes forever and you're just praying you don't get screwed over by a super hard encounter. All the islands look the same and give a random and badly written quest. There's no real meaningful character upgrades aside from party members. It's long as gently caress, I was nearish to the end and to get there I had to do 30+ minutes worth of just running into enemy ships and doing boring combat. I made brief mention, but compare this game to Renowned Explorers which has vaguely similar elements but clear and meaningful choices and is fun to play.

I also should have talked about Parks and Rec because that show is dope too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really can't ignore a title like Captain Forever. Thanks for giving Overfall the ol' college try. It doesn't sound fun to realize you've been miserable and haven't even gotten anything out of it.