Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

financially racist posted:

i can't help but laugh any time someone brings up monsanto as the ultimate evil company

not because they aren't poo poo, but because they aren't inherently worse than any other large multinational corporation, no matter what dumb bullshit you read about them on facebook

Here's a pretty worthy list:

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/most-evil-companies/1/

Also we're all doomed world is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

nine-gear crow posted:

This is why I lament the loss of the Gameshark/Game Genie/Codebreaker era. Bullshit like this is absolutely gross and the thought processes that fostered it into being need to be burned out of peoples minds like burrowed ticks.

Cheat engine exists and is the PC equivalent. The only problem is that most online games will ban you for it. Except Dark Souls.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

have i disassociated, nothing in the past like 2 pages makes any sense to me anymore and i thought i knew what the conversation was and then suddenly i just don't

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That's amazing

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

MiddleOne posted:

That's amazing

It's why I'm real happy that people can host their own servers for the original Battlefront 2. Hero mode without any of that poo poo

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

And the only remedies are months of grinding or :pcgaming: Loot Boxes :pcgaming: ?

:wtc:

e:
Also, Todd taking umbrage with 'Portugal the man - I feel it still' line "I'm a rebel just for kicks". Its like the top reason to be a rebel, purity in just being in your nature. Like Han Solo or Sonic The Hedgehog.

Anyone listening who has their reasons but isn't doing anything should think 'well this guys just doing it for kicks, what's my excuse?' And if you're already out there, whatever you're doing, enjoy what you do cause its like that saying about if you love what you do you don't work a day in your life.

that saying sounds like some I Love Big Brother poo poo now that I think about it but :shrug:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 16, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is microtransactions the new always-online DRM? Because that is what it's starting to feel like.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

e:
Also, Todd taking umbrage with 'Portugal the man - I feel it still' line "I'm a rebel just for kicks". Its like the top reason to be a rebel, purity in just being in your nature. Like Han Solo or Sonic The Hedgehog.

Anyone listening who has their reasons but isn't doing anything should think 'well this guys just doing it for kicks, what's my excuse?' And if you're already out there, whatever you're doing, enjoy what you do cause its like that saying about if you love what you do you don't work a day in your life.

that saying sounds like some I Love Big Brother poo poo now that I think about it but :shrug:

i've recently started listening to a podcast called That Awful Sound and it's like listening to all the good parts of Todd's videos without all the garbage parts, but since it's not video i don't really know if it fits the purview of this thread

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Alaois posted:

i've recently started listening to a podcast called That Awful Sound and it's like listening to all the good parts of Todd's videos without all the garbage parts, but since it's not video i don't really know if it fits the purview of this thread

That one guy (sorry I have bad memory for names) is posting his song crimes podcast and I'm not complaining. :justpost:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

http://thatawfulsound.com/

Alexander Gregory and a rotating cast of guests discuss music they liked before they knew any better, music they always knew better than to like and if there's still time, music they still kind of like.

Alaois fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 16, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Alaois posted:

http://thatawfulsound.com/

Alexander Gregory and a rotating cast of guests discuss music they liked before they knew any better, music they always knew better than to like and if there's still time, music they still kind of like.

Neat. :h:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

YggiDee posted:

I didn't know about this guy before but I'm glad I'm seeing this now.

He's kind of a mainstay since the mid 1990's as a person who talks games online (Around 20 years), and in a way when he does a "modern" joke like calling a Mario 64 video "MARIO GETS THICC" (Even if the video itself doesn't say anything on that sort and is mostly a semi-serious look at Mario 64) it flips outright to oddly endearing than some sort of weak attempt at becoming more clickbaity.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The Belgian gambling commission is looking into lootboxes now, https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/16/battlefront-ii-belgium-gambling-investigation/?sr_source=Twitter no matter which way they eventually go this'll probably grab the attention of most other gambling regulators in Europe.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baka-nin posted:

The Belgian gambling commission is looking into lootboxes now, https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/16/battlefront-ii-belgium-gambling-investigation/?sr_source=Twitter no matter which way they eventually go this'll probably grab the attention of most other gambling regulators in Europe.

Hell, if the Belgian gambling commission actually classifies lootboxes as gambling Blizzard and EA might as well just bend over for the rest of the EU because they'll be right behind.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hell, if the Belgian gambling commission actually classifies lootboxes as gambling Blizzard and EA might as well just bend over for the rest of the EU because they'll be right behind.

Oh god, brexit is going to make my country a loot box haven

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The last time I saw EA bend to anybody was when the Pentagon banned Medal of Honor from being sold on military bases due to the option to play as the Taliban. So EA removed the Taliban option and the Pentagon still said "no, gently caress you" and upheld the ban.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

The last time I saw EA bend to anybody was when the Pentagon banned Medal of Honor from being sold on military bases due to the option to play as the Taliban. So EA removed the Taliban option and the Pentagon still said "no, gently caress you" and upheld the ban.

Requiring a special permit to sell their game in even just Belgium would be bad for them, because they both have to jump through hoops for each and every game that has lootboxes (along with probably having them examined for meeting standards/criteria or something), and it's an open acknowledgement that loot boxes do in fact constitute gambling pushed onto minors.

It also establishes a legal precedent that other countries are almost certainly going to leap on.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

MariusLecter posted:

And the only remedies are months of grinding or :pcgaming: Loot Boxes :pcgaming: ?

:wtc:

e:

He didn't take umbrage with the line so much as its context within the time we're living and how it clashes pretty harshly with the current political situation in the US. The point being that, if you're rebelling at all, it's probably got a reason and isn't just arbitrarily "just for kicks." Which makes the fact that the band tried to spin the song into meaning something about Trump so drat funny.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I don't like to beat a dead Taun-Taun so here's an early look at how BF II plays right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiwRIkRTvms

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Baka-nin posted:

good, gently caress loot boxes, they're a big part of why forza 7 is poo poo and that's like the only big-name modern game series i give a single gently caress about

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Lootboxes are fine as a optional extra in free to play games, but shouldn't be in full price games. Have what you can buy with ingame currency clearly marked and labelled, and offer them for mircotransactions if you must have them for players who want to use them. The random element just doesn't work outside of a free to play model.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If you really need to have them for whatever crap reason, just copy Siege, there you get em Overwatch style by playing, but you can also flat out buy your pretty princess armyman stuff as you like. Like that's the real solution barring not having them at all, let people actually buy what they want flat out as well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

OldMemes posted:

Lootboxes are fine as a optional extra in free to play games, but shouldn't be in full price games. Have what you can buy with ingame currency clearly marked and labelled, and offer them for mircotransactions if you must have them for players who want to use them. The random element just doesn't work outside of a free to play model.
Correct. Putting them in $60+ games is just pure greed. It also pretty much kills the balance in online.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

If you really need to have them for whatever crap reason, just copy Siege, there you get em Overwatch style by playing, but you can also flat out buy your pretty princess armyman stuff as you like. Like that's the real solution barring not having them at all, let people actually buy what they want flat out as well.

But if someone can just buy the item instead of buying a box that might have the item in it how can you get their continued custom?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I always say that FIFA is great in this regard. You can spunk tons of money and open all the packs and get the Ronaldos, icons and all that poo poo (and there's plenty ways of making the coins to buy those), but if you're crap at FIFA? Having a 95 Ronaldo ain't gonna stop you from getting beasted by a better player. Like, at all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kim Justice posted:

I always say that FIFA is great in this regard. You can spunk tons of money and open all the packs and get the Ronaldos, icons and all that poo poo (and there's plenty ways of making the coins to buy those), but if you're crap at FIFA? Having a 95 Ronaldo ain't gonna stop you from getting beasted by a better player. Like, at all.

Yea I've only really just gotten into it this release but found A) it craps money on you and the boxes are priced well enough that I've never really felt that I HAD to use their pay for money funbux, and B) most every time I've gotten my rear end beat it's felt much more like it was because I don't know the game super well than 'oh this guy has a super gold Rolando and there's nothing I can do to stop him'. My scrubby level 75 defenders can stop the fancy shiny 99 Rolando just as much as anyone else.

I've found that true for most all EA sports games really, Madden sometimes gets a biiit around the more 'you know if you just give us fifty bucks you're gonna at least get a couple high level guys' stuff but even that isn't that bad.

It's really weird that EA Sports, the guys selling sports fans trading cards, have a less predatory view of the relationship they have with the customer than the EA guys making shooty space funtimes.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I've only really just gotten into it this release but found A) it craps money on you and the boxes are priced well enough that I've never really felt that I HAD to use their pay for money funbux, and B) most every time I've gotten my rear end beat it's felt much more like it was because I don't know the game super well than 'oh this guy has a super gold Rolando and there's nothing I can do to stop him'. My scrubby level 75 defenders can stop the fancy shiny 99 Rolando just as much as anyone else.

I've found that true for most all EA sports games really, Madden sometimes gets a biiit around the more 'you know if you just give us fifty bucks you're gonna at least get a couple high level guys' stuff but even that isn't that bad.

It's really weird that EA Sports, the guys selling sports fans trading cards, have a less predatory view of the relationship they have with the customer than the EA guys making shooty space funtimes.

The addition of Squad Battles this year has even made it so you don't have to go do multiplayer at all to earn tons of coins or good pack rewards that you can sell on if MP's not your thing, because there's now a singleplayer mode on the level of FUT Champs. It is strange that the best and worst examples of lootcrate integration both come from EA.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kim Justice posted:

The addition of Squad Battles this year has even made it so you don't have to go do multiplayer at all to earn tons of coins or good pack rewards that you can sell on if MP's not your thing, because there's now a singleplayer mode on the level of FUT Champs. It is strange that the best and worst examples of lootcrate integration both come from EA.

oh are those new? Yea they're incredibly fun ways to earn a bunch of rewards without having to deal with MP at all.

In conclusion, EA is a land of contrasts.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Yardbomb posted:

See, the problem with the overwatch style is that in Overwatch you can only earn like four a week unless you spend every waking moment playing the game and earning levels, which means the next level takes more playing to get, none of which have any guarantee of having a new item or even an item you want.

Then you apply all that to, say, the halloween event where the skins not only are obtainable for a very short period of time, but are also three times as expensive as the other skins if you want to buy them directly.

You're "guaranteed one halloween item" in every lootbox, but in practice that just means you're more likely to get every single icon and none of the skins by the time the event is over unless you buy lootboxes or have crazy good luck. Even if it is just cosmetic poo poo only, it wears out the fun real fast when you're on the last day of an event and you finally see the first legendary item pop out of a lootbox and hey, it's just a duplicate of a non-event skin you already have.

They also, relatively recently, changed the lootbox prize weight to emphasize things you don't have over things you do. This sounds like a better change, except in practice this means you don't even have enough credits come time for an event to buy a skin anymore because it's just a non-stop poo poo show of getting 3 sprays and 1 voice clip with every lootbox now.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

oh are those new? Yea they're incredibly fun ways to earn a bunch of rewards without having to deal with MP at all.

In conclusion, EA is a land of contrasts.

Yeah, it's one of the best additions to a FIFA game in years. I wish I had more time to devote to the game :(

One thing that should be noted is that FIFA Ultimate Team has been in the game since 2008, and the FIFA Points currency (which is bought with real money) since 2012. So the well-oiled machine that FIFA is now in terms of the balance between crates and play is the result of years of honing, as opposed to the cack-handed introduction of lootcrates we're seeing in most other games. The natural virtual economy that is the transfer market where you can buy anything at all simply using coins is also a pretty great equaliser, as is the nature of the game itself. A half-star team controlled by a good player has a pretty decent chance of beating a 5-star team controlled by a poo poo one.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nuebot posted:

See, the problem with the overwatch style is that in Overwatch you can only earn like four a week unless you spend every waking moment playing the game and earning levels, which means the next level takes more playing to get, none of which have any guarantee of having a new item or even an item you want.

Yeah but the point I was making with Siege's model is that if you ALSO allow people to just up front buy the pieces they want, then the Overwatch model in combination with it is suddenly defanged a huge amount, instead becoming the occasional "Oh cool one sec, I got a thing to open" instead of being the only way you ever get anything.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In a weird inversion, League of Legends has had direct-buy premium items for ages and only recently started adding in loot boxes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

re: people pushing back against battlefront 2's lootbox system

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/s...23post478467678

see, complain loudly enough and poo poo happens

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

financially racist posted:

re: people pushing back against battlefront 2's lootbox system

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/s...23post478467678

see, complain loudly enough and poo poo happens

Dat first reply though:

https://twitter.com/sethmacy/status/931319682757402625

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They turned off microtransactions 'temporarily'

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/17/ea-takes-star-wars-battlefront-ii-microtransactions-offline

If customers complain loudly enough they will stop this poo poo, we saw it some years back when there was a lot of pushback over the 'Online Pass' garbage, which EA also pioneered

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

They turned off microtransactions 'temporarily'

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/17/ea-takes-star-wars-battlefront-ii-microtransactions-offline

If customers complain loudly enough they will stop this poo poo, we saw it some years back when there was a lot of pushback over the 'Online Pass' garbage, which EA also pioneered

I think you mean the integral Kinect in every Xbox1.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVlcwsfCSKA

Marine 3 on Wrestling with Wregret

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Let's talk about happy stuff, like Justice League!

My hot take:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paZtuMz75xc

Brad's hot take:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X6vRf5lrPU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Joss Whedon understands why people like Superman."

I don't think I've ever heard a more damning statement on superheroes. So it goes for the liberal paternalist fantasy figure that's familiar from the comics?

The complaints about the Superman being an "rear end in a top hat" and a "prick" were really weird, like he was despicable for not having enough fun during the previous movies.

I do love the crowd complaining about smiles getting their monkey's paw wish.

• Locked thread