Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Can you set up Parallels or something and join that to the domain? His boss did approve the hardware....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Haze
Nov 10, 2017
Even though he CAN attach the Mac to AD, the scope of what IT can do to manage it is laughable. Unless you buy a Mac yourself and load up their shiny server app.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

We had another KnowB4 phishing test, and ANOTHER loving member of our small IT department clicked the link in there. This is the second time it's happened in a year. Last guy who did it got walked out for other reasons though I'm sure his click contributed.

God drat, we don't have but seven loving people in the department. This has got to be difficult and embarrassing to report to the Big Boss.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

MrMojok posted:

We had another KnowB4 phishing test, and ANOTHER loving member of our small IT department clicked the link in there. This is the second time it's happened in a year. Last guy who did it got walked out for other reasons though I'm sure his click contributed.

God drat, we don't have but seven loving people in the department. This has got to be difficult and embarrassing to report to the Big Boss.

I fell for it once. Over 40% of our company did on that one. In my defense I was crazy hungover, and it's almost impossible to check on a link when it gets run through the safety software we use, you can't see where the URL actually points.

Also, there was a reporting problem where they could see how many people clicked on it, but not who, so I didn't get dinged.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

MANime in the sheets posted:

I fell for it once. Over 40% of our company did on that one. In my defense I was crazy hungover

Then why were you operating company resources?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Weatherman posted:

Why be hungover on your own time?

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Weatherman posted:

Boss makes a dollar
I make a dime
That's why I drink
On company time

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Weatherman posted:

Because I was out of sick leave. Also the stuff the guys above me said.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
You guys would accept "nah I was hungover lol and also you make more than me anyway lmao" as an excuse from some user who fell victim to a phishing attack and let in the latest cryptolocker or something?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Blue_monday posted:

My bosses are finally onboard with Macs in a Windows environment being a spectacularly bad idea. This is after three years of me telling him this, and repeatedly being demonstrated by the litany of problems the Macs have caused over the years. They are also now finally onboard with wireless devices being a bad idea.

At a previous job, we had an old client leave a Mac Pro for training, then pulled out and left the machine. When we asked to return it, they were all "Naaaaaaah." We finally found it. One of the trainers had it stashed under his desk. After explaining we were a Windows shop ONLY, a coworker and I confiscated it and turned it into a file server for profile backups.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MANime in the sheets posted:

Can you set up Parallels or something and join that to the domain? His boss did approve the hardware....

His boss shouldn't have approved it. Parallels also wouldn't solve poo poo since they could only manage the Windows VM.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

His boss shouldn't have approved it. Parallels also wouldn't solve poo poo since they could only manage the Windows VM.

Yeah, I was just thinking it would let him do whatever he's trying to do on the domain.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Crowley posted:

Idiot-with-a-Mac is fresh out of college.

These were great fun in college, especially when they needed software for their machine that didn't exist.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Weatherman posted:

You guys would accept "nah I was hungover lol and also you make more than me anyway lmao" as an excuse from some user who fell victim to a phishing attack and let in the latest cryptolocker or something?

Yeah, but I also don't have a stick up my rear end.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I would have been fine except for the "you make more than me". It's such an annoying bullshit excuse. As if my dedication to my education and furthering my career makes it ok for others to do stupid poo poo that hampers me from doing stuff that matters.

"sure, I'll stop working on <thing that keeps the entire business running> to address <thing you did that is stupid>"

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

AlexDeGruven posted:

I would have been fine except for the "you make more than me". It's such an annoying bullshit excuse. As if my dedication to my education and furthering my career makes it ok for others to do stupid poo poo that hampers me from doing stuff that matters.

"sure, I'll stop working on <thing that keeps the entire business running> to address <thing you did that is stupid>"

Death to capitalists.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Crowley posted:

Some goddamn idiot boss approved the purchase of a Mac. We don't support Macs.

Idiot-with-a-Mac is fresh out of college, and still on his 3-month probationary period. I wonder if we'll get an account termination ticket tomorrow. (probably not. He'll likely get off with a note in his record and a stern talking to.)
Surprise ending. I was sure this was going to be a C-level hack who just had to have a shiny Mac.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
HR (I have no clue how) managed to get us the whole week of Christmas off instead of only the 26th and 27th.

"Hope this helps with some more festivities and visiting with family."

I like this place

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

HR (I have no clue how) managed to get us the whole week of Christmas off instead of only the 26th and 27th.

"Hope this helps with some more festivities and visiting with family."

I like this place

Sounds to me like some people just got bumped to top of the queue for all future support tickets.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

poo poo's blowing up, vendors are behaving badly, and users are touching things they shouldn't. But it's my second to last day. Current mood: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Exit interview in 30 minutes!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sirotan posted:

poo poo's blowing up, vendors are behaving badly, and users are touching things they shouldn't. But it's my second to last day. Current mood: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hope you answered all calls for help with mad laughter.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sirotan posted:

Short timer syndrome fuckin' owwwwwnssssssss.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sirotan posted:

Is that computer poop? I always wondered what it was like *grabs handfull and gleefully smears it all over the place*. What do you mean now you have to clean it up?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Is that computer poop? I always wondered what it was like *grabs handfull and gleefully smears it all over the place*. What do you mean now you have to clean it up?

Furthermore, now where did I leave my tub of laptop lard? :iiam:

Holy Haze
Nov 10, 2017
An ticket email came in: We can't submit tickets because your ticketing system is down. :aaaaa:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
A week of tickets will come in and I will ignore them.

Next week I'm taking three days off, so with the Thanksgiving break that means I will be taking an entire week off for the first time since 2003 when I had my cancer surgery.

I'm going to do it right. I'll have a message on my voicemail as well as my email so no one will have to wonder why I'm not responding. Everyone will be directed to the MSP who have already been alerted.

I will probably be bored as poo poo but just like taking yucky medicine this is something I should force myself to do.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I will probably be bored as poo poo but just like taking yucky medicine this is something I should force myself to do.

Read a book, go for a walk, clean out your closets, reconnect with a friend or relative, work out, tinker with a new technology, etc.

If you're bored when you're not at work, then you're not trying hard enough.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

SamDabbers posted:

Read a book, go for a walk, clean out your closets, reconnect with a friend or relative, work out, tinker with a new technology, etc.

If you're bored when you're not at work, then you're not trying hard enough.

Yeah I mean my Steam and Switch games aren't gonna play themselves.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I rearranged the majority of my house last night so my desk could be in a better location. Sometimes you gotta be bored to muster up enough self rear end kick to not be lazy.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Our ticketing system got into a pissing match with part of IBM's ticketing system today, that was fun and also the first time we've had a ticketing loop happen.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Sirotan posted:

I'm honestly shocked they let you stay past resignation date. At least in my small experience, someone with admin creds resigns? They get a nice vacation before $new_job. :shrug:

Something tells me though, your boss was desperate cause he didn't know poo poo all about the environment.

Inspector_666 posted:

Our ticketing system got into a pissing match with part of IBM's ticketing system today, that was fun and also the first time we've had a ticketing loop happen.

Ours can do that all by itself. Just CC the address in an e-mail from the ticket system. Thanks TrackIT :smith:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

So basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-7mQhSZRgM&t=20s

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ever have an office full of people on the same conference on speaker, then one person unmutes their phone?

Please don't trigger me

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My voice is higher than your voice.

EDIT: I think one of the things I will do next week is go to Suit Supply and begin a middle age review of my complete lack of style. I only have one suit that fits, no blazer/sports jacket, etc. It's time to fix this.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Blue_monday posted:

My bosses are finally onboard with Macs in a Windows environment being a spectacularly bad idea. This is after three years of me telling him this, and repeatedly being demonstrated by the litany of problems the Macs have caused over the years. They are also now finally onboard with wireless devices being a bad idea.

Workplaces with competent IT have no issues with a mixed environment

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

jre posted:

Found the Mac user

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

jre posted:

We have constant issues with the Macs locking out AD users but I don't know enough about macOS to even know where to look in the logs to find out what or why. :(

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Inspector_666 posted:

We have constant issues with the Macs locking out AD users but I don't know enough about macOS to even know where to look in the logs to find out what or why. :(

Why are you looking on the mac, and not the domain controller logs ?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

jre posted:

Why are you looking on the mac, and not the domain controller logs ?

Because it happens even when they're not in the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Because it happens even when they're not in the office.

If their domain account is getting locked out when their primary computer is not communicating with the domain in any way, there is another device trying to log in with those credentials and you need to look at your DC logs.

If the user account is getting locked out due when they're out of the office, and it's not getting locked on the DC, they're probably an idiot and keep typing in their password wrong.

• Locked thread