Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't see what's right wing about wanting to live in a safe society. Especially one that's in actual danger of alien invasion and such. What would be the left wing power fantasy regarding such a situation?

the left-wing "power fantasy" is Scrap Iron Man

(rejected, of course, because marvel are cowards)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

I don't see what's right wing about wanting to live in a safe society. Especially one that's in actual danger of alien invasion and such. What would be the left wing power fantasy regarding such a situation?

I think a fairly clear comparison between the right vs left would be an idealised comparison between the Magneto vs Xavier schools of thought. Xavier was fairly political whilst refraining from using his powers to persuade, plus he gave outsider children a free 'safe' space to study in relative piece. He was pro integration and rehabilitation and tried to make the world a better place through communication.

Sure he had a little militia hit squad going but what left wing group doesn't?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Has there ever been any Punisher stories that looked at his childhood. I figure there must be but I've never read any.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BiggerBoat posted:

Has there ever been any Punisher stories that looked at his childhood. I figure there must be but I've never read any.

A couple one shots but nothing particularly in depth. Generally it's agreed that the punishers story starts with Vietnam and everything before that is whatever

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

So here's the thing comic book superheroes are by and large white dudes who are above the law beating up people for doing crimes and while yes there's aliens and poo poo you shouldn't discount the amount of just normal rear end crime dudes get involved in, even if it's down played a lot post Batman RIP

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cythereal posted:

From what I've been reading, the thing with the Punisher series is that it does have a lot to say about politics - but not about gun violence. Instead the Punisher series dwells heavily on the experiences of veterans, that Iraq and Afghanistan were at best stained causes that a lot of good men and women fought and died for, and that doesn't make those soldiers heroes. It makes them victims, and for the survivors their suffering and victimization doesn't end when they come back home. The Punisher series apparently dwells at some length on how Frank might be horrifyingly deadly, but he's also a deeply traumatized and broken man, and was so even before his family was killed.

Yo this sounds good as hell actually because it's at the core of the best punisher comic ever ie punisher Max

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ElNarez posted:

man I dunno how you could see the film where two billionaires, with the help of the military-industrial complex and law enforcement, work together to try and kill an alien other, as a secret anti-capitalist critique

I especially love it because nobody's motives are a secret in these movies. They say it out loud. Superman's are narrated by a Greek chorus, for gently caress's sake!

Goffer posted:

I think a fairly clear comparison between the right vs left would be an idealised comparison between the Magneto vs Xavier schools of thought. Xavier was fairly political whilst refraining from using his powers to persuade, plus he gave outsider children a free 'safe' space to study in relative piece. He was pro integration and rehabilitation and tried to make the world a better place through communication.

Magneto is left wing.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yo this sounds good as hell actually because it's at the core of the best punisher comic ever ie punisher Max

Yeah, actually sounds way better than I expected. I knew my boy Bernthal could do it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 16, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I especially love it because nobody's motives are a secret in these movies. They say it out loud. Superman's are narrated by a Greek chorus, for gently caress's sake!

Magneto is left wing.

magneto fuckin rules, xavier is a fuckin lanyard dick

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yeah, actually sounds way better than I expected. I knew my boy Bernthal could do it.

you should read Punisher: The Platoon, its a new mini from Ennis and Parlov (be still my heart) that's explicitly framed as the guy who wrote the in-universe book about the VC assault on firebase Valley Forge, the birthplace of the Punisher, writing a sequel about frank's first tour

and given that Valley Forge Valley Forge is a comic about how vietnam was loving bullshit that ruined a whole bunch of people,

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Goffer posted:

Xavier is never particularly critical about the US government outside of integrating mutants. He doesn't critique the politics of America because he communicates the belief that America is inherently good, it merely "messes up" sometimes. The whole reason the film Logan presumably happens is best expressed via the lines:

"Where were you Charles? Where were you when your people needed you?"

Not just mutants, but humans, the world. Charles never meaningfully critiques policy. Being about integration means integrating into the United States and all of its acceptance and enabling and implementation of capitalism. The film would have you believe that Charles' failure was merely the tragedy of having a seizure, but Charles never even learned what Magneto was telling him which is not to "pretend you're something you're not" and gets a family killed when everyone follows his lead for the last time. The farmers share a meal with the mutant runaways without ever knowing why they were actually on the road. The father is justified in wanting to murder Wolverine in that scene.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
X-Men is a bad franchise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Magneto: Nazi-hunter, vicious anti-racist, radical (robs banks and makes demands of the government), accepts anyone - particularly the shunned, they had to invent cops to try to assassinate him.

Xavier: requires tuition, sees his students as experiments, does the bidding of the government and intelligence agencies, thinks he can work with cops so long as they only shoot the bad mutants.

Unholy synthesis: Cyclops, born again mutant separatist and identitarian (recruited Magneto and Namor, the "first mutant" as symbolic gestures).

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

you should read Punisher: The Platoon, its a new mini from Ennis and Parlov (be still my heart) that's explicitly framed as the guy who wrote the in-universe book about the VC assault on firebase Valley Forge, the birthplace of the Punisher, writing a sequel about frank's first tour

Is it done? I'm not falling for waiting for a Garth Ennis series to finish again, I don't care if it's 4 issues or 40.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Serf posted:

the left-wing "power fantasy" is Scrap Iron Man

(rejected, of course, because marvel are cowards)

Marvel did eventually adapt Scrap Iron Man. They just changed scrap iron man into the villain and made Spiderman the main character.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

magneto fuckin rules, xavier is a fuckin lanyard dick

X-Men First Class is a good movie about the 60s conflict between leftism and liberalism, and about how leftism was right but liberalism won. Pity the rest of the movies tried to undermine that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hand Knit posted:

Marvel did eventually adapt Scrap Iron Man. They just changed scrap iron man into the villain and made Spiderman the main character.

Haha yes. Marvel's ultimate villain is Ivan Vanko, a worker who "unfairly" gains access to Stark's intellectual property.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

i like how they portray the vulture as the villain of that movie but they do a real bad job of it and even smoothbrained people were walking out going "the vulture actually had some good points"

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Haha yes. Marvel's ultimate villain is Ivan Vanko, a worker who "unfairly" gains access to Stark's intellectual property.

I think it's more Justin Hammer, who tries to be Tony Stark but doesn't have the sexual virility that makes Tony Stark the good guy [rocket limply falls out of suit launcher].

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hand Knit posted:

I think it's more Justin Hammer, who tries to be Tony Stark but doesn't have the sexual virility that makes Tony Stark the good guy [rocket limply falls out of suit launcher].

Well, it's a combo of the two. Hammer is the limp dick decoy (they executed this in a way better way with The Mandarin) and the actual villain is some guy Tony implicitly hosed over on his way to the top.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Well, it's a combo of the two. Hammer is the limp dick decoy (they executed this in a way better way with The Mandarin) and the actual villain is some guy Tony implicitly hosed over on his way to the top.

I dunno if I'd call him merely a decoy. Hammer and Vanko certainly get at the same thing (which really comes out in the Avengers via Black Widow) which is that what makes Stark/the good guys in general essentially good is fundamentally this very rapey white masculinity. What makes Vanko and Hammer the bad guys is that they try to act like Stark without having his innate entitlement to act as such.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Decoy is the wrong word, so I will go with a much better archetype and one that always amuses me whenever I think about it: the fake Ruby Rhod in Fifth Element.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

But now I have to rewatch The Fifth Element. What have you done to me?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't need to watch it to vividly recall that ridiculous character. Definitely my favorite stupid gag in that movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also, from the press reviews I've been reading, about 90% of the people Frank kills in the show are either totally-not-Blackwater PMC guys or CIA assassins trying to murder all witnesses to something Frank saw in Afghanistan that he wasn't supposed to see.

Framing arc is apparently that Frank has gone off the grid and is trying to make an honest living in construction and demolition when the PMC comes after him as the last surviving witness to whatever went down in Afghanistan.

Also, should it matter, Frank in the series apparently has a real thing for sledgehammers and uses one almost as much as guns.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Magneto: Nazi-hunter, vicious anti-racist, radical (robs banks and makes demands of the government), accepts anyone - particularly the shunned, they had to invent cops to try to assassinate him.

Xavier: requires tuition, sees his students as experiments, does the bidding of the government and intelligence agencies, thinks he can work with cops so long as they only shoot the bad mutants.

Unholy synthesis: Cyclops, born again mutant separatist and identitarian (recruited Magneto and Namor, the "first mutant" as symbolic gestures).

Is it done? I'm not falling for waiting for a Garth Ennis series to finish again, I don't care if it's 4 issues or 40.

It's six issues, we're two or three in, and its marvel so they hold him to deadlines

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cythereal posted:

Also, from the press reviews I've been reading, about 90% of the people Frank kills in the show are either totally-not-Blackwater PMC guys or CIA assassins trying to murder all witnesses to something Frank saw in Afghanistan that he wasn't supposed to see.

Framing arc is apparently that Frank has gone off the grid and is trying to make an honest living in construction and demolition when the PMC comes after him as the last surviving witness to whatever went down in Afghanistan.

Also, should it matter, Frank in the series apparently has a real thing for sledgehammers and uses one almost as much as guns.

Yeah this sounds baller, what are the complaints about it

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah this sounds baller, what are the complaints about it

Big ones that I've read:

The show can be surprisingly slow-paced, preferring to take the time to explore Frank's history and issues rather than 24/7 guns blazing (note: this may not be a downside to you).

The big villain isn't terribly interesting, but fortunately Jigsaw is there to pick up the slack.

Probably two or three episodes too long, like most of the Netflix series.

Many members of the supporting cast, especially the women, aren't deep or particularly interesting.

Some tone-deaf jokes, like Frank strangling a guy in a bathroom stall with a necktie being dismissed by someone else in the bathroom as two gay guys having rough sex in there.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cythereal posted:

Big ones that I've read:

The show can be surprisingly slow-paced, preferring to take the time to explore Frank's history and issues rather than 24/7 guns blazing (note: this may not be a downside to you).

The big villain isn't terribly interesting, but fortunately Jigsaw is there to pick up the slack.

Probably two or three episodes too long, like most of the Netflix series.

Many members of the supporting cast, especially the women, aren't deep or particularly interesting.

Some tone-deaf jokes, like Frank strangling a guy in a bathroom stall with a necktie being dismissed by someone else in the bathroom as two gay guys having rough sex in there.

I mean I like guns but I also like the chill stuff, my fave punisher story is the one from Aaron's Max run where it's just Frank remembering the days right after he came home from Nam leading up to his family's death

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Decoy is the wrong word, so I will go with a much better archetype and one that always amuses me whenever I think about it: the fake Ruby Rhod in Fifth Element.

Which character was that? The hard of hearing guy?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Agutter posted:

Which character was that? The hard of hearing guy?

Yes, lol. On screen for maybe thirty seconds.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Yes, lol. On screen for maybe thirty seconds.

He's just so happy to have helped. :yayclod:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

James Franco, Simon Kinberg, ‘Wonder Woman’ Scribe Allan Heinberg Team On Fox’s Marvel Mutant ‘Multiple Man’

Fox is developing a film vehicle for James Franco to play the Marvel Comics character Multiple Man, with Wonder Woman scribe Allan Heinberg writing the script, and Simon Kinberg and his Genre Films producing along with Franco and Ramona Films, the shingle that Franco runs with brother Dave Franco and Vincent Jolivette.

The film came out of another collaboration between Franco and Kinberg, The Hardy Men, which Kinberg scripted and is being scripted by Rodney Rothman as a potential star vehicle for both James and Dave Franco, whose Ramona released its first film, the James Franco-directed The Disaster Artist. The idea is for James and Dave Franco to play the grown up versions of the venerable teen sleuths The Hardy Boys, also for Fox.

Fox has been aggressively mining the X-Men universe and its many characters. Kinberg and Lauren Shuler Donner produce the Josh Boone-directed The New Mutants, and the Ryan Reynolds-starrer Deadpool 2 with director David Leitch. Kinberg directed, scripted and produces X-Men: Dark Phoenix. Coming right behind that is Gambit, the Channing Tatum-starrer which recently got a commitment from director Gore Verbinski. Kinberg and Shuler Donner are producing with Tatum’s Free Association.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/james-franco-multiple-man-simon-kinberg-wonder-woman-allan-heinberg-fox-marvel-hero-1202209591/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm actually more on board for a James and Dave Franco Hardy Boys movie than that comic book movie.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

BiggerBoat posted:

Ennis's Punisher: Tyger, which is both a really sad story and extremely relevant right now. Synopsis for anyone who doesn't want to go find it: It details Frank's experiences when he was ten, specifically with his crush, who was raped by a local mafioso kid. The girl ends up killing herself in shame. The rapist continues doing whatever because everyone's afraid of his mobster dad, but the girl's older brother traps the rapist, beats him with a bat, and immolates him in a grave. Frank later discovers that the brother died in war. It's an interesting take on the character that implies that Vietnam and the death of his family were more catalysts to a monster that already existed within Frank.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

multiple man played by james franco is some real monkeys paw poo poo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Clearly the actor born to play multiple man is either Eddie Murphy or Mike Meyers

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kulkasha posted:

Ennis's Punisher: Tyger, which is both a really sad story and extremely relevant right now. Synopsis for anyone who doesn't want to go find it: It details Frank's experiences when he was ten, specifically with his crush, who was raped by a local mafioso kid. The girl ends up killing herself in shame. The rapist continues doing whatever because everyone's afraid of his mobster dad, but the girl's older brother traps the rapist, beats him with a bat, and immolates him in a grave. Frank later discovers that the brother died in war. It's an interesting take on the character that implies that Vietnam and the death of his family were more catalysts to a monster that already existed within Frank.

I remember finding this comic completely silly and ridiculous but I loved the sepia toned John Severin art. I wish I could see the ashcan version or w/e because the digital coloring looks quite bad.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Clearly the actor born to play multiple man is either Eddie Murphy or Mike Meyers

Surely Michael Keaton is in the running.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

multiple man played by james franco is some real monkeys paw poo poo

The Deuce is a surprise prequel to the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope Franco is just Tommy Wiseau from here on out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kulkasha posted:

The modern take is, generally speaking, that Frank was always a killer, he got a taste of it in vietnam, learned that he enjoyed it and was good at it, and couldn't shut it off when he got home. His family dying is a convenient excuse, not a reason (and some writers portray it as being something Frank let happen. Aaron specifically says "there's no way a survivor of three tours and how many ambushes in the jungle didn't have a weird feeling in the park that day")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a Jamie Madrox film is the weirdest poo poo I've ever heard and seems like it'll hinge on the screenplay and director. I'd have preferred someone like James Gunn.

I'd like a superhero film done by by Yorgos Lanthimos but what could he even use.

• Locked thread