Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

day traders can make money in bear markets, not just bull markets
well the terms bear and bull market dont really apply to bitcoin as of yet
from the last page:

quote:

The products and their markets have existed for fewer than 10 years and bear little if any relationship to any economic circumstance or reality in the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Uranium 235 posted:

day traders can make money in bear markets, not just bull markets. what makes you think times need to be good for them to make money?

I meant good times for the individual. Once you fail to predict a significant market change and gently caress yourself over, you're not going to come in here talking about it

The 2008 example was just a good one because most people bet on the market going up, so lots of daytraders suddenly went silent

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Inept posted:

I meant good times for the individual. Once you fail to predict a significant market change and gently caress yourself over, you're not going to come in here talking about it

The 2008 example was just a good one because most people bet on the market going up, so lots of daytraders suddenly went silent
i don't understand what you're trying to say here. do you think that day traders as a group went long on SPY or something? generally speaking, day traders are in cash the majority of the time and only make quick trades over short periods of time (they enter and exit trades the same day, hence the term "day trader") so they would not have been caught by a rapid drop in stock values because they probably were not holding stocks through the recession

it's also weird that's you're talking about day traders as a bloc, like they all trade the same way. i think you're just making poo poo up because it sounds right to you

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

well the terms bear and bull market dont really apply to bitcoin as of yet
from the last page:
you don't think bitcoin is a bull market right now? what would you call it?

what would you call the two year period following the mtgox crash where bitcoin prices dropped? seems to fit the definition of "bear market" to me

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think you're talking past each other a bit. One person seems to be saying "people only brag when they are up and then when they are down they disappear" and the other is saying "traders profit from volatility too not just general up/down trends." Neither one of you is wrong?

But that said the % of actual traders who make money in market shock periods is pretty small because most traders are just retail traders with no knowledge that isn't just public info anyway.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Uranium 235 posted:

i don't understand what you're trying to say here. do you think that day traders as a group went long on SPY or something? generally speaking, day traders are in cash the majority of the time and only make quick trades over short periods of time (they enter and exit trades the same day, hence the term "day trader") so they would not have been caught by a rapid drop in stock values because they probably were not holding stocks through the recession

it's also weird that's you're talking about day traders as a bloc, like they all trade the same way. i think you're just making poo poo up because it sounds right to you

Lots of daytraders got hosed by the recession like everyone else. I was using an example of a mass silencing of people spouting random poo poo about being smart traders. I don't think all daytraders made out worse. Just when they do badly, they aren't going to talk about it. Also survivorship bias.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

COMRADES posted:

I think you're talking past each other a bit. One person seems to be saying "people only brag when they are up and then when they are down they disappear" and the other is saying "traders profit from volatility too not just general up/down trends." Neither one of you is wrong?
i agree with the bolded, that's human nature. his specific claim about day traders getting wiped out by the recession is, i suspect, based on nothing but his own intuition.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Uranium 235 posted:

i agree with the bolded, that's human nature. his specific claim about day traders getting wiped out by the recession is, i suspect, based on nothing but his own intuition.

Is it really a statement that needs citation that a lot of people lost a lot of money in 2008, including daytraders? Come on.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It was the second worst financial crisis in American history behind the Great Depression and only a few people predicted and profited off it which is why there is a book and a movie about those people.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The Bitcoin bubble in 2017 appears entirely held up with Tethers. There isn't even honest analysable speculation going on, your adversary is literally the exchanges.

Of course a few clever traders have decided they will follow along with the releases of Tethers, and I'm sure that literally attempting to guess what a blatant market manipulator's next move will be will work out fine and nothing will go terribly wrong.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Inept posted:

Is it really a statement that needs citation that a lot of people lost a lot of money in 2008, including daytraders? Come on.
the first part, that a lot of people lost money, requires no citation. the latter part does though. what is it about a recession that makes you think that day traders are more likely than usual to lose money? do you have any evidence to back up the claim?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

It was the second worst financial crisis in American history behind the Great Depression and only a few people predicted and profited off it which is why there is a book and a movie about those people.
you don't have to predict it to profit off of it.

i have the impression that you guys don't understand the difference between investing and trading.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

divabot posted:

The Bitcoin bubble in 2017 appears entirely held up with Tethers. There isn't even honest analysable speculation going on, your adversary is literally the exchanges.

Of course a few clever traders have decided they will follow along with the releases of Tethers, and I'm sure that literally attempting to guess what a blatant market manipulator's next move will be will work out fine and nothing will go terribly wrong.
it's possible but i don't think the argument put forward by bitfinex'd is conclusive. imo there's still a plausible innocent explanation. if tether is legitimately solvent and capital is legitimately moving into the bitcoin market via cash deposits to exchanges, then there should be an increase in supply of tether. unfortunately the "audit" is not convincing so people need to be really careful if they're on exchanges that rely on tether.

i'm not exposed to tether at the moment so i'm not too concerned about how a tether meltdown would affect me. it's a factor i consider when deciding whether to move capital to an exchange like bittrex though.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Please report back to the thread with evidence that most day traders make money in any market.

Every available analysis says most day traders end up losing money.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I mined some bitcoin with my nvidia card a few years ago but gave up because I was using too much electricity and only got like .001 of a bitcoin. I guess it's worth about 6$ now. If I could find that drat bitcoin wallet file I could really cash in.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Please report back to the thread with evidence that most day traders make money in any market.

Yep, here's a study of Taiwan's stock market from 2004 http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/odean/papers/Day%20Traders/Day%20Trade%20040330.pdf

More than 8 in 10 lost money.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

i'm not disputing that most people who try trading lose money

it is a fact, however, that some traders are successful, and i don't believe that someone who is consistently successful in a bull market is going to suddenly become unsuccessful because the market trend changed. the same principles apply to bull markets and bear markets and traders can profit from either

this is why i doubt that day traders who were successful before the recession ("bragging") would get wiped out by the recession. and i specifically mean day traders, not investors. idk, maybe some people who just went long on stocks called themselves day traders and got killed by the recession, and they're the ones who shut up? that's plausible

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

If you cashed out today how much money would you make? And if the price dropped to $1200 and stayed how much would you lose?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

If you cashed out today how much money would you make? And if the price dropped to $1200 and stayed how much would you lose?
i'm up 325% at the moment

i'm holding USD right now, as i do 99% of the time (i'm only in crypto when i'm making a trade and i have a stop order placed) so if the price dropped to $1200 i'd still make 325% profit

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

you don't think bitcoin is a bull market right now? what would you call it?

what would you call the two year period following the mtgox crash where bitcoin prices dropped? seems to fit the definition of "bear market" to me
if it were a bull market and not rampant activity that should be regulated in a normal market lifting the price i would call it a bull market but the quote here

quote:

The products and their markets have existed for fewer than 10 years and bear little if any relationship to any economic circumstance or reality in the real world.
indicates plainly enough that there arent real market forces at work here. you could by some stretch of imagination describe a successful convenience store robbery as a bull market just as easily
besides its closer to 1 stock rising than a market

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

if it were a bull market and not rampant activity that should be regulated in a normal market lifting the price i would call it a bull market but the quote here
indicates plainly enough that there arent real market forces at work here. you could by some stretch of imagination describe a successful convenience store robbery as a bull market just as easily
a bull market is one in which the price of the asset increases over an extended period of time, which is what it happening with the bitcoin market

it's a bull market

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
lmao ok. ill just accept you using these real terms to describe bitcoin

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

listen to the professional trader

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I won $50 on a scratcher that only cost me $5. It works and it's a legit investment strategy. invest all your money in scratchers.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

wow last time it took two days for you to concede that i'm right

this time, two minutes

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
thingsthathappened.com

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

"I've been watching all this poo poo from the sidelines and Coinbase is still having a hell of a time trying to even confirm my identity, bank account AND debit card. All the while I watched my $5500 *not* turn into $7750 today.

So that's fun. :("

Seeing posts like this give me pause about investing in Bitcoin

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gianthogweed posted:

I mined some bitcoin with my nvidia card a few years ago but gave up because I was using too much electricity and only got like .001 of a bitcoin. I guess it's worth about 6$ now. If I could find that drat bitcoin wallet file I could really cash in.

It would cost you 20 bucks to cash out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uranium 235 posted:

by that argument, all commodities are ponzi schemes because they cannot generate money the way a stock can

*goes to the grocery store*

Yup just going to invest in some ponzi schemes now, as I often do

*picks up an apple* oh this ponzi looks really good *adds the apple to his cart*

Hmm I think I'm out of rice, I'd better pick up a ponzi of rice

oh wait that wasn't actually his argument at all and you're just being dense

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uranium 235 posted:

it's possible but i don't think the argument put forward by bitfinex'd is conclusive. imo there's still a plausible innocent explanation. if tether is legitimately solvent and capital is legitimately moving into the bitcoin market via cash deposits to exchanges, then there should be an increase in supply of tether. unfortunately the "audit" is not convincing so people need to be really careful if they're on exchanges that rely on tether.

i'm not exposed to tether at the moment so i'm not too concerned about how a tether meltdown would affect me. it's a factor i consider when deciding whether to move capital to an exchange like bittrex though.

Tethers aren't redeemable, the Tether legal page even says so. Tethers don't reflect money "flowing" anywhere. If the price of tethers collapsed tomorrow everyone holding tether wouldn't get dick for them.

It'd be like a stock trader using $100M to buy stocks by just marking "+100M in ca$h" in a book somewhere, without having ever taken out a loan or received money from anyone

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
yes, i too plan on blowing my wad at 10k.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

*goes to the grocery store*

Yup just going to invest in some ponzi schemes now, as I often do

*picks up an apple* oh this ponzi looks really good *adds the apple to his cart*

Hmm I think I'm out of rice, I'd better pick up a ponzi of rice

oh wait that wasn't actually his argument at all and you're just being dense
in this post you show that you agree that commodities aren't ponzis, well done

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

you might think you will see the warning signs and get out ahead of the curve but the thing is those events happen fast. right now you dont feel like it could possibly be soon so youve already allowed yourself to assume months away is likely but it cant be predicted

I've felt like it was going to be any week now the entire time I've been in and still think it's going to be soon, but it's not going to happen in the month before or in the first little while after Wall Street, which is either insanely long on BTC or staying away from it, pours all the money in the world on the pile. virtually every other time period is insanely risky but I pulled out my initial capital months ago so who cares

in fact, making insanely risky bets for a small enough fraction of your net worth in a bubble is possibly the biggest +EV life changing move you can make - while the bubble runs virtually everything you do will print money, so as long as you keep taking $ off the table and accept that you're going to lose most of the rest, the amount you take off should still be life changing if it lasts long enough

playing a game where you lose X 90% of the time and make 100X the rest should really be a no brainer for most people but vOv risk aversion

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Uranium 235 posted:

9.5/10 excellent form, beautiful landing

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Uranium 235 posted:

The point is that those commodities have some kind of use underlying their value so although they by themselves don't generate profit/value they are either an end use product (to be eaten for example) or something that can be used in production to generate value. The value of oil is what we can do with it - it has no value by itself.

What do Bitcoins do? They don't do anything and their price is entirely determined by speculation.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 16, 2017

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Inept posted:

Definitely lived this one.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

You'd be foolish not to flip houses right now, the market has been skyrocketing ever since bush cut taxes! Oh wait wrong decade, I meant Trump.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Adar posted:

I've felt like it was going to be any week now the entire time I've been in and still think it's going to be soon, but it's not going to happen in the month before or in the first little while after Wall Street, which is either insanely long on BTC or staying away from it, pours all the money in the world on the pile. virtually every other time period is insanely risky but I pulled out my initial capital months ago so who cares

in fact, making insanely risky bets for a small enough fraction of your net worth in a bubble is possibly the biggest +EV life changing move you can make - while the bubble runs virtually everything you do will print money, so as long as you keep taking $ off the table and accept that you're going to lose most of the rest, the amount you take off should still be life changing if it lasts long enough

playing a game where you lose X 90% of the time and make 100X the rest should really be a no brainer for most people but vOv risk aversion

I generally agree with that, although I mean I don't know how anyone could have predicted with any real reasoning that it could ever get up to $10k or whatever.

Like, I don't really see a reason that it couldn't have just stalled out at $100 or $1000 or $3000 or any other number I guess

I know a lot of other poker people that have a lot of bitcoin and I'm certainly not anti-sweating any of them, I hope they make money, I'd just rather put my money into real life businesses and real estate stuff where I can estimate the EV a lot better.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Adar posted:

There's a group of people that decided that the risk is so high literally nobody should be even considering it or trying it, and spending years repeating that narrative using misleading claims, which is exactly what I've taken issue with the whole time

Stefan Prodan posted:

I generally agree with that, although I mean I don't know how anyone could have predicted with any real reasoning that it could ever get up to $10k or whatever.

Like, I don't really see a reason that it couldn't have just stalled out at $100 or $1000 or $3000 or any other number I guess

If you believe that cryptocurrencies have advantages over existing currencies that make them useful to people for transactions, then it's a reason for them to be appreciating as their usage / adoption increases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

There's a group of people that decided that the risk is so high literally nobody should be even considering it or trying it, and spending years repeating that narrative using misleading claims, which is exactly what I've taken issue with the whole time

If you believe that cryptocurrencies have advantages over existing currencies that make them useful to people for transactions, then it's a reason for them to be appreciating as their usage / adoption increases

What advantages