Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This is my third season playing, and the first time that I've just gotten corncobbed hard by RNG.

Well into the 500+ paragons and I have yet to see the Ring (of Emptiness) that flat adds 300% more damage to my build. I've crawled up to a gr75 so I'm past one major milestone, but daaaang it's brutal when you just.can't.get.that.item you really need no matter what.

I've spent every DB and blood shard since p300 on Rings, and gotten easily a dozen Unity rings, but none of the (far more common!!) Ring of Emptiness.

Dang ol' lady luck

Oh well, if I find a Tasker and Theo I've got 100% of the pieces for a better build anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is my third season playing, and the first time that I've just gotten corncobbed hard by RNG.

Well into the 500+ paragons and I have yet to see the Ring (of Emptiness) that flat adds 300% more damage to my build. I've crawled up to a gr75 so I'm past one major milestone, but daaaang it's brutal when you just.can't.get.that.item you really need no matter what.

I've spent every DB and blood shard since p300 on Rings, and gotten easily a dozen Unity rings, but none of the (far more common!!) Ring of Emptiness.

Dang ol' lady luck

Oh well, if I find a Tasker and Theo I've got 100% of the pieces for a better build anyway

I have found an absolutely ridiculous amounts of Tasker and Theo on my Wizard. Including an ancient pair with a native main stat and crit roll! Collecting dust!

:negative:

Thorg
Jan 1, 2007
Thorg hungry! Thorg want eat!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

And here I am as a monk with 0 Unitys, and I found a drat Ring of Emptiness. Just ain't fair.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dang ol' lady luck

How are you keeping your toughness up? I've got all of the pieces for the firebats build, but I still get crushed on T10. My sheet toughness is only ~8m with ~4200 vitality. I die incredibly easily when I'm not casting firebats, even with sacred harvester and lakumba's ornament.

twice burned ice fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 15, 2017

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

twice burned ice posted:

How are you keeping your toughness up? I've got all of the pieces for the firebats build, but I still get gimped on T10. My sheet toughness is only ~8m with ~4200 vitality. I die incredibly easily when I'm not casting firebats, even with sacred harvester and lakumba's ornament.

The big engines for toughness are Soul Harvest (with Languish) + Lakumba's Ornament + Sacred Harvester, which skyrockets your armor and damage reduction.

You're casting Hex (with Jinx equipped) as often as possible, right? While the Toad of Hugeness is out, you get another 50% damage reduction

Keep casting Soul Harvest and Hex as much as possible since they only provide their protection while active.

Locus Swarm (Cloud of Insects) makes enemies deal 25% less damage

In Kanai's Cube, you want either Coils of the First Spider, or Mantle of Channeling. They both provide damage reduction (Mantle provides less, but also adds damage)

Getting Taeguk to lv25 will add more durability too!

Are you missing any of these things? I like to wear a purple gem on my head for the extra Life% too, but my body gems are all +Intellect

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

twice burned ice posted:

How are you keeping your toughness up? I've got all of the pieces for the firebats build, but I still get crushed on T10. My sheet toughness is only ~8m with ~4200 vitality. I die incredibly easily when I'm not casting firebats, even with sacred harvester and lakumba's ornament.

4200 Vitality means that you've rolled vit off of more pieces than you should have

in general, your helmet, chestpiece, pants and boots are optimal slots to keep vitality, then shoulders then gloves.

4,200 seems low for TX even for a witch doctor

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The big engines for toughness are Soul Harvest (with Languish) + Lakumba's Ornament + Sacred Harvester, which skyrockets your armor and damage reduction.

You're casting Hex (with Jinx equipped) as often as possible, right? While the Toad of Hugeness is out, you get another 50% damage reduction

Keep casting Soul Harvest and Hex as much as possible since they only provide their protection while active.

Locus Swarm (Cloud of Insects) makes enemies deal 25% less damage

In Kanai's Cube, you want either Coils of the First Spider, or Mantle of Channeling. They both provide damage reduction (Mantle provides less, but also adds damage)

Getting Taeguk to lv25 will add more durability too!

Are you missing any of these things? I like to wear a purple gem on my head for the extra Life% too, but my body gems are all +Intellect

I'm not running Taeguk right now because I've always hated how quickly its stacks fall off. Is there a good way to keep those up?

Maybe I'm letting my Toad buff run out. I hate that there's no visual indicator for it.

I'll try switching to an amethyst gem in my helm and spamming Hex on cooldown to see if I can make it through A GR45 without dying. My damage is at least GR70 ready, but I haven't tried pushing much due to frustration over my tons of deaths.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

4200 Vitality means that you've rolled vit off of more pieces than you should have

in general, your helmet, chestpiece, pants and boots are optimal slots to keep vitality, then shoulders then gloves.

4,200 seems low for TX even for a witch doctor

This is my build for now. Ignore the duplicated Ring of Emptiness. I just got the ancient one and apparently forgot to find something else to use in the cube.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/metonymic-11923/hero/90516486

Edit: My gem levels and paragon are still really low, so that's definitely part of the problem. I just can't figure out how to die less!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

twice burned ice posted:

I'm not running Taeguk right now because I've always hated how quickly its stacks fall off. Is there a good way to keep those up?

Maybe I'm letting my Toad buff run out. I hate that there's no visual indicator for it.

I'll try switching to an amethyst gem in my helm and spamming Hex on cooldown to see if I can make it through A GR45 without dying. My damage is at least GR70 ready, but I haven't tried pushing much due to frustration over my tons of deaths.

Spirit walk into the center of a group, Soul Harvest to get all that armor and damage reduction, toss out your Toad, Locusts, and Haunt really quickly, and then FIRE DEM BATS!!!!

The bats should kill all the enemies quickly which triggers Spirit Walk to come off of cooldown, then you Spirit Walk into the center of another group, and repeat!

Just cast Hex every single time it's off cooldown!

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Spirit walk into the center of a group, Soul Harvest to get all that armor and damage reduction, toss out your Toad, Locusts, and Haunt really quickly, and then FIRE DEM BATS!!!!

The bats should kill all the enemies quickly which triggers Spirit Walk to come off of cooldown, then you Spirit Walk into the center of another group, and repeat!

Just cast Hex every single time it's off cooldown!

Any advice on Taeguk? I really hate that gem, but I understand that it's one of the few hybrid offensive/defensive legendaries.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

twice burned ice posted:

Any advice on Taeguk? I really hate that gem, but I understand that it's one of the few hybrid offensive/defensive legendaries.

Taeguk is only useful when you're channeling Firebats, but.. you're only dying while you're channeling firebats, right? Always Be Firing Bats, they say

Also - you need Compass Rose + Traveler's Pledge. I didn't realize you were missing those. They're pretty vital because they help you survive while you're getting into position, and they bump up your damage while you're firing bats.

And the quicker your bats kill stuff, the less time they have to kill you!

Also ultimately I would recommend Equipping Sacred Harvester and Cubing Staff of Chiroptera (opposite of how you've got it now) since Staff of Chiro has a number roll that will be 100% in the cube.

Also once you've got your Compass rose, keep it and Convention as your rings, and Cube the Ring of Emptiness

And get your dang gems up to 25!

Taeguk, Trapped, and Stricken are all quite good. You can swap out Stricken for Powerful or Pain Enhancer until gr60 or so, (but don't use Pain Enhancer until it's lv 25 - you mostly use it for that perk)

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 15, 2017

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Taeguk is only useful when you're channeling Firebats, but.. you're only dying while you're channeling firebats, right? Always Be Firing Bats, they say

Also - you need Compass Rose + Traveler's Pledge. I didn't realize you were missing those. They're pretty vital because they help you survive while you're getting into position, and they bump up your damage while you're firing bats.

And the quicker your bats kill stuff, the less time they have to kill you!

Man, I wish I could get endless walk, but I haven't gotten it to drop yet.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

twice burned ice posted:

I'd swap out all your Diamonds for Topaz, too. I really think that you could benefit from being even MORE glass cannon-y right now, and Intellect provides Resist All as well.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

the power creep is real :staredog:

grift 87 w/ HotA barb and a single ancient. no primals

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

twice burned ice posted:

In the mean time, a Hellfire Amulet with a good passive is going to be a lot more useful than the Squirt Necklace you've got.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

First primal ever was a ring of larceny with an intelligence roll
:negative:

deano
Sep 6, 2000

NEED MORE MILK posted:

the power creep is real :staredog:

grift 87 w/ HotA barb and a single ancient. no primals

Yeah thought there was no way I was getting my last 2pcs for my WD last night without grinding for a few more legandarys went gently caress it and gave the "clear a gr 20" a blast(normaly where I've got stuck for a bit last couple of seasons) boom 8m50s clear did the other stuff got my 6pc and pushed it up to a gr 33 in bout 8mins with pretty crap yellows and only maybe 2/3 bits for the build(BATZ) plus the set, so yeah quite looking forward togettting properly geared and doing some decent higher gr's as im just not that good/solo too much/dont play enough and previous seasons have ended up burning out quick for me.

Dunno if theres many others but if any fellow eurogoons wanna group im on most nights: deanomuh#2627

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

mewse posted:

If you can get a RROG you can run lefebvre shoulders + spirit guards both for approx the same amount of dmg reduction as double unity

I like that idea, I don't bother syncing up with a cubed CoE half the time anyway.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
For taeguk make sure you're tapping the button between burns to keep the stack going. You'll find a good rhythm. I do the same thing for Tal Meteor.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 26, 2021

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

harrygomm posted:

Haven't played since around season 1. Where do I find builds for/people talking about HC or is it all just the same as SC? IV/DiabloFans had lots of builds I didn't understand, but for necro in particular that I was looking at, they all just seemed to be "speed farm maximum glass cannon dps"

Just take one of the high performing ones, take out a couple dps abilities, and slot in more defensive ones?

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/

use the menus up top for proven builds with full descriptions on items, stat priorities, how to play it and skills.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

JohnnySavs posted:

I like that idea, I don't bother syncing up with a cubed CoE half the time anyway.

Aha - Levebre's shoulders and running Crystal Fist instead of InGeom put my toughness through the roof. T70 with 8 minutes to spare, wahoo!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Does anyone have issue with the Uliana 6P not triggering EP? It's really weird and makes killing elites take forever.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xaris posted:

Does anyone have issue with the Uliana 6P not triggering EP? It's really weird and makes killing elites take forever.

The build relies on density and is poor on single mobs or small packs

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I have almost every class up to 50, but I'm scared to open my Haedrig's because I don't know which class I want to actually play at higher levels.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I have almost every class up to 50, but I'm scared to open my Haedrig's because I don't know which class I want to actually play at higher levels.

It only takes a couple hours of bloodshard farming to find an entire set (or more) for a new class. Just pick one that looks fun and go for it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I know it’s dumb, but try looking at the silly GIFs I put in the OP and ask yourself, which of these looks the most fun.

If you’re really stuck just go Barb or Necro because their gifts are both great starter/farm sets and will get you to the point that gearing other characters is easy very quickly

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I know it’s dumb, but try looking at the silly GIFs I put in the OP and ask yourself, which of these looks the most fun.

If you’re really stuck just go Barb or Necro because their gifts are both great starter/farm sets and will get you to the point that gearing other characters is easy very quickly

Necro is fun, but the fact that every build is just Corpse Lance is kind of offputting. I might go Barb just because its fun smashing and WWing through everything.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
As Barb you start with 6 set IK from the gift, add 3 parts RK and you can just charge around maps killing everything. Altough I am hitting some survival problems now around GR80.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

If I could go back, I'd do barb or monk because they start with good sets and are fun. I did Crusader and DH (always) and sader still sucks, IMO. I only tried the akkhan builds, though. DH was amazing with UE, probably my favorite build across any class.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Do barb, there are a bunch of fun viable options. Once you've got one character solo running 70s or t13, you can gear a new character up to pretty much any build in a few hours. Getting initial gear is super easy now and for the meta builds, you're going to have no problem in 70s-80 even in p much garbage gear.

ChickenSuit
Apr 2, 2002

"You know I love you back."
I really enjoy Tal Rasha meteor channeling build this season. Can do GR100's and speedrun normals with a teleport that has no cooldown (Aether Walker wand). Just keep blinking until you find a pack, tap 2 buttons, hold another and watch those monsters explode.

Have a friend playing Condemn Crusader and we run 95's in just a few minutes.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Never played a monk before and I'm enjoying it but the progression sure is boring with Uli's set

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
I actually enjoy innas and wish it didn't sorta suck now (the solo build), but disliked their starter set this season enough to roll a dh instead to farm gear and shards for it to move onto sunwoko

so I basically wasted my haedrigs but w/e

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
TBH once you have one character geared, you can farm up a new set for a different hero faster than the time to do the original stages of the season journey for a set.

If you really want to be efficient, just rift/grift with goons (get in the channel) and give them pieces from your class that you want in exchange for pieces from their class that you need.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ChickenSuit posted:

I really enjoy Tal Rasha meteor channeling build this season.

Saaaaaaaaaaaame :toot:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What Grift level do you guys swap from Powerful to Stricken?

Especially with Helltooth Garg, it seems like I rarely apply a stack of Stricken to begin with, but I'm sure there's eventually a point where it would take 15 minutes to burn the boss without it.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I'm thinking about jumping in for the season journey, but I'm torn between Monk and Wiz. Monk was my first class and I haven't revisited it in a while, but I really enjoyed blowing up full screens of mobs from afar a couple of seasons ago with DH, and Wiz seems like more of that.

Both Uliana's and Vyr's seem like fun sets to me, and I really just play solo to get the season achievements, so I'm not concerned with pushing extreme GR levels. I see a lot of comments here about Monk but far less about Wiz, is Vyr's bad to the point that people are skipping it this season or just not that noteworthy?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Desperately trying to build a hammerdin Crusader as my main seasonal this time, but getting a Guard of Johanna is proving...difficult.

Hopefully some of you nerds are gonna be on tonight so I can shamelessly mooch off you.

And concerning Vyr, yeah, it sucks. Like to the point where I would studiously avoid it in favor of Tal Rasha or Delsere every season.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

With all the gear and skill changes, are there any builds that are playable now that weren't before? I notice Tempest Rush got several buffs, for instance.

I know it's Diablo and "play whatever you want" but still am curious about what's gotten better.