Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I love the repeated gag of R2 falling behind in one shot, then in a subsequent shot he's caught up again and falls behind again, repeatedly. I'll be watching for it when I rewatch The Empire Strikes Back this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

I love the repeated gag of R2 falling behind in one shot, then in a subsequent shot he's caught up again and falls behind again, repeatedly. I'll be watching for it when I rewatch The Empire Strikes Back this weekend.

Also In Jabbas palace it's never clear how he maneuvers the stairs

TFA has a funny reference to this .

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ingmar terdman posted:

Yeah, Rian asking JJ to swap R2 and BB was if nothing else correcting a really dumb mistake.

I hope all the Rey and Luke island training is intercut with R2 slowly but surely getting up the stairs, and when he finally gets to the huts, it's time for them to go. R2 sighs and looks at the camera. Iris wipe.

Maybe they finally got around to fixing his rocket boosters.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Luke took R2 to see Yoda in Empire.

Rey took R2 and Chewie in Awakens.

Chewbacca is a large dog

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
BB8 would roll off the island and would require at least 20 porgs to get back up

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

I always had an idea for a Monty Python-esque bit where R2 gets knocked over on his side early in the movie, and then about every 20 minutes the movie cuts back to him for a few seconds as he spins his wheels, rocks a little bit, spins his wheels again, pauses, spins his wheels again, and then it goes back to the action.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I never noticed how normal those suitcases look

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Vishass posted:

Chewbacca is a large dog

Wookies and droids aren't people. Amirite?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

UmOk posted:

Wookies and droids aren't people. Amirite?

Humans are just large monkeys. Are we people?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

jivjov posted:

Humans are certainly not "large monkeys", numbnuts.

UmOk fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 16, 2017

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Yeah, jivjov, we're apes. Calling us monkeys is like calling The Force Awakens a remake of A New Hope.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

ungulateman posted:

Yeah, jivjov, we're apes. Calling us monkeys is like calling The Force Awakens a remake of A New Hope.

Exactly. The differences between apes and humans are so minimal that there is no need for a distinction.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Human. Is. Not. Ape.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ungulateman posted:

My apologies for my incorrect terminology. I will endeavor to not repeat the mistake

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

We never evolved from apes, if we did that would mean there would no longer be apes around. Humans and apes share a common ancestor, that is all.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

jivjov posted:

My apologies for my incorrect terminology. I will endeavor to not repeat the mistake

Thanks for acknowledging the incorrect terminology. It's important to remember that humans mostly dwell in jungles and mountains and spend most of their days foraging for fruits. Humans do NOT have tails which is pretty much the only distinction between humans and monkeys.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

The Unfetered One posted:

We never evolved from apes, if we did that would mean there would no longer be apes around. Humans and apes share a common ancestor, that is all.

Our common ancestor was an ape, and we’re still apes, too.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Zoran posted:

don't call me an ape you ape

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Super Fan posted:

Those loving assholes just ignore R2 while he’s clearing struggling with those stairs

He flies around with jet boosters later in the movie. He clearly just doesn't want to listen to their awkward flirting. Also probably why he's nowhere to be seen until they get to Tatooine.

euphronius posted:

Also In Jabbas palace it's never clear how he maneuvers the stairs

TFA has a funny reference to this .

I didn't catch this until my second viewing but those metal thuds in the background as he slowly made his way down the stairs cracked me up real good in the theater.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Zoran posted:

Oh, definitely. "Ape" and "Human" can be used interchangeably for the most part.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

UmOk posted:

Oh, definitely. "Ape" and "Human" can be used interchangeably for the most part.

One of these is created in the image of God and endowed with an immortal soul tho

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

General Dog posted:

One of these is created in the image of God and endowed with an immortal soul tho

I made no mention of Porgs

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yo, what is up with Geonosian architecture?

Good ol' limp dick Dooku dwarfed a row of giant stone vaginas

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

General Dog posted:

Yo, what is up with Geonosian architecture?

Good ol' limp dick Dooku dwarfed a row of giant stone vaginas

And giant penises with people tied to them while they are attacked by manifestations of their own sexuality.

Also are rescued by soldiers with white sperm shaped helmets. By being inserted into an egg-shaped circle of Jedi.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I wonder if those architectural flourishes serve any functional purpose, like how gargoyles work as rain gutters.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I wonder if those architectural flourishes serve any functional purpose, like how gargoyles work as rain gutters.

Ya, when no one is looking you can gently caress them.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

moist turtleneck posted:

BB8 would roll off the island and would require at least 20 porgs to get back up

https://youtu.be/-RkSQSxEkX4

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vishass posted:

Chewbacca is a large dog

You could even say he's his own best friend

Which...is harsher in hindsight now that he's lost his lone star thanks to some idiot with a voice modulator and big helmet he eagerly ditches at the first opportunity

Are we sure TFA is a remake of ANH?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/931148604487622657

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv7OJU11aZQ

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

El Burbo posted:

I never noticed how normal those suitcases look

They're about eight superfluous flashing lights too short to fit into the Star Trek universe.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

He tries to choke Motti to death and only stops because Tarkin tells him to. He also chokes Captain Antilles to death at the beginning. Darth Vader doesn't need angst about a long-lost son to want to go around angrily choking people to death. Dude's just a strangler, it's his natural state of being.

It's also worth noting that finding out that he has a son isn't even the event that really screws him up emotionally. It affects him a little bit, but he's actually very quickly able to assimilate this new knowledge into his identity as Darth Vader. "So I have a son? Great. I can take advantage of his attachment to me to recruit him over to my side and use his power to help me overthrow the Emperor. Then I can finally be the Emperor!" His offer of ruling the galaxy as father and son is a cynical ploy.

The thing that really blasts him apart, identity-wise, is the fact that he fails to turn Luke--that Luke chooses to commit suicide rather than join him, and then manages to escape with his friends. None of that fits with the worldview he's constructed for himself as Vader, and he doesn't know how to process it. That's the first time a real crack in the armor starts to show.

I don't think he necessarily was trying to kill Conan, and Antilles is an enemy and a traitor rather than just an incompetent subordinate. He's described as "obsessed" with finding Luke in the opening of ESB. There is absolutely a key difference between a guy who serves the Empire willingly and loyally because he has nothing left and has become part of the machine both figuratively and literally, and a guy who found out he actually does have a personal mission to pursue. I've always thought that, if not for Luke and Leia, Vader would've never tried to betray the Emperor. He would have just remained a part of the machine. In ESB he cares about finding the rebels because he wants to find Luke, I don't even think retribution for the Empire is that important to him at that point.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Beeez posted:

I don't think he necessarily was trying to kill Conan, and Antilles is an enemy and a traitor rather than just an incompetent subordinate. He's described as "obsessed" with finding Luke in the opening of ESB. There is absolutely a key difference between a guy who serves the Empire willingly and loyally because he has nothing left and has become part of the machine both figuratively and literally, and a guy who found out he actually does have a personal mission to pursue. I've always thought that, if not for Luke and Leia, Vader would've never tried to betray the Emperor. He would have just remained a part of the machine. In ESB he cares about finding the rebels because he wants to find Luke, I don't even think retribution for the Empire is that important to him at that point.

Yeah, and I think Vader was probably kind of invigorated to find someone who could be a potential equal, even as a rival. Maybe especially as a rival. All he had to live for for years was his grudge against Obi-Wan, and I have to think that their confrontation was probably a huge letdown for him.

It also makes me wonder what Palpatine was like during the Empire's apex, post Jedi purge. He seemed to live for corrupting and destroying the Jedi- that's what really brought him pleasure, taking control of the galaxy was almost incidental. With no more Jedi, I could easily see Palpatine settling into an existential malaise of sorts.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

he doesn't even wear pants anymore

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

General Dog posted:

It also makes me wonder what Palpatine was like during the Empire's apex, post Jedi purge. He seemed to live for corrupting and destroying the Jedi- that's what really brought him pleasure, taking control of the galaxy was almost incidental. With no more Jedi, I could easily see Palpatine settling into an existential malaise of sorts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyKcoMu9Rcc

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ending of Revenge of the Sith should have been the ending of The Graduate, except it's Vader and Palpatine.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

General Dog posted:

Ending of Revenge of the Sith should have been the ending of The Graduate, except it's Vader and Palpatine.

Anakin did ditch an older woman for him. Checks out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Beeez posted:

I don't think he necessarily was trying to kill Conan,

Did I miss a crossover?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Double post.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

It does

Anakin made a hasty emotional decision and now that the dust has settled he's contemplating the long, uncertain future ahead of him, having a look at the Death Star, a technological terror that is insignificant compared to what he signed on for, the alleged deepest knowledge of the Force.

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 17, 2017