Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Not trying to nitpick, but I honestly didn't even know I had an LED. Why is it needed with Ambient Display?

It consumes less battery than ambient display, and it's just a personal preference. I use lightflow to give me multicoloured lights based on what the notification is, I love it, always have :)

RZA Encryption posted:

Notification LEDs haven't been good since the nexus one glowing orb.

Samsung LEDs are bright and great!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

It consumes less battery than ambient display, and it's just a personal preference. I use lightflow to give me multicoloured lights based on what the notification is, I love it, always have :)

Samsung LEDs are bright and great!!

Ah, yeah, would totally make sense if you turn off Ambient Display and it's great that there's the option.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

cage-free egghead posted:

Anyone get the Essential Phone from the Sprint deal? Apparently you can get it all said and done for around $150 if you pay it off early. It's tempting for me but I'm not sure if I want a hard pull on my credit just for a smartphone.

Use of the search function tells me there are three goons who have (or had) an Essential:

EdEddnEddy posted:

I have an Essential PH-1 coming

MA-Horus posted:

So i pulled the trigger, walked into the Telus store and picked up the last Essential phone they had in stock.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I broke down and bought the essential phone from amazon now that they put the black one in stock.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rastor posted:

Use of the search function tells me there are three goons who have (or had) an Essential:

Right but I was looking to see if anyone had taken part in the Sprint promo they had. Thanks tho

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Right but I was looking to see if anyone had taken part in the Sprint promo they had. Thanks tho

Go to the massive Slick Deals thread. I'm surprised Sprint hasn't re-locked these phones out of spite. People are ordering like 3 at a time and returning them with tears and anger when they can't get it unlocked. Well no poo poo, the phone isn't really $150.

To answer your question it looks like you can still do it. If you do it in a store they insist on activating before you leave, forcing the 50-day unlock rule to take effect.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hotsauce posted:

Go to the massive Slick Deals thread. I'm surprised Sprint hasn't re-locked these phones out of spite. People are ordering like 3 at a time and returning them with tears and anger when they can't get it unlocked. Well no poo poo, the phone isn't really $150.

To answer your question it looks like you can still do it. If you do it in a store they insist on activating before you leave, forcing the 50-day unlock rule to take effect.

Interesting. I got an iPhone SE from them that was automatically unlocked within a couple days of paying it off, but I did activate it at home.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

hotsauce posted:

I've read a few pages of it but it looks like experiences are all over the map. I'm probably just going to hold off or get the phone through a different channel just in case Sprint realizes wtf they did and punishes the people ordering 5 at a time.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Phandroid lists 10 cool Android tricks:
https://phandroid.com/2017/11/16/android-tricks/

A very hit or miss list but there are a few legitimate power user tips in there.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
My Elephone S8 turned up today. FIrst impressions are pretty good; the screen really is great, phone is plenty fast/smooth enough and it feels good in the hand. The camera is crap but I don't really use it. I'll come back in a few days with a bit more in depth stuff but I am very happy so far.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

My Pixel 2 xl finally grabbed the November Security update. This saturated mode looks good. I see the point about it not being accurate, but I like this. The old vivid mode looked washed out even compared to my 6p. Now it's about the same.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So far im pretty happy with the essential. Got used to the weight, now my old nexus 5x feels like a toy. Screen is great outside of being really easy to scratch, partially my fault because I like to put a ton of poo poo on these huge cargo pockets in our uniforms and gorilla glass 5 is poo poo for these tiny scratches and because no good tempered glass screens exist for it. The 8.0 beta is super solid and I'm guessing they are only withholding it from normal release because of the bug causing bluetooth from draining more battery than normal.

Camera is poo poo though, but it seems like they are getting patches out for it every other day thats slowly making it bearable if you refuse to put the pixel camear app on your phone for whatever reason

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't understand how people can use smartphones with terrible cameras. That's like, the biggest dealbreaker for me on a phone. It has to be good.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't understand how people can use smartphones with terrible cameras. That's like, the biggest dealbreaker for me on a phone. It has to be good.

I personally dont take a whole lot of pictures. :shrug:

Like over the 2 years Ive had a nexus 5x Ive taken about 10 pictures that weren't work related. The rest are pictures of routers/switches, broken down antennas, business cards, etc. I buy phones to play gatcha games and read SA while at work basically.

Either way, the camera itself is fine, the software is just junk.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fair, I'm a photographer and take a literal gently caress load of pics. I don't always have my dslr on me so an amazing phone camera is essential. Holy poo poo the Pixel 2 XL meets that requirement.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

All I take photos of is cats and stuff I need to remember. All I do with a phone is browse really!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Like over the 2 years Ive had a nexus 5x Ive taken about 10 pictures that weren't work related. The rest are pictures of routers/switches, broken down antennas, business cards, etc.

To be fair, I used to be the same way until I got a Pixel. Having a good, fast camera always on you does encourage you to use it more often.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

Fair, I'm a photographer and take a literal gently caress load of pics. I don't always have my dslr on me so an amazing phone camera is essential. Holy poo poo the Pixel 2 XL meets that requirement.

I mean...what did you expect the answer to be?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't understand how people can record video holding the phone in portrait orientation.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

I don't understand how people can record video holding the phone in portrait orientation.

Unironically same

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

Potentially dumb question, coming right up:

Is there a technical limitation preventing a phone from recording in landscape when held in portrait? Even if the display isn't portrait, but shows the video in landscape (with huge borders on top/bottom)?

At least an option would be nice since every single news worthy video is lovely portrait. Can't the sensor just switch on it's own and do landscape even if the phone is physically being held in portrait?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Holding the phone upright is natural because that's how you're typically holding your phone when a spontaneous moment occurs.

It would be cool to have a phone that recorded from the back camera in landscape automatically and cropped out the unused pixels for 4k. Most sensors are well above 9MP that 4k takes up, and would exceed the 3840 horizontal pixels on their short axis. The viewfinder would look kinda weird, but in my mind it could just be like the YouTube app layout, with that unused UI space used for controls.

I bet there's a software solution.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

I can.

You're a person who primarily or solely interacts only with media on a telephone and prefers to hold your phone in portrait orientation. To them, landscape video is more difficult to view and not preferable.

Additionally, they may be recording something that is framed better in portrait, like a person talking, and because of their limited experience recording video for others' viewing, doesn't realize that the extra space to the sides are so you don't have to keep the subject perfectly in frame. They might not be expecting to need horizontal space in the frame.

Another obvious explanation is someone who is quickly recording something unusual and is doing so without paying attention to the recording itself but rather devoting attention to avoiding being injured or involved. In doing so they hold the device in the way most comfortable and most secure, which is portrait.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

hotsauce posted:

Is there a technical limitation preventing a phone from recording in landscape when held in portrait? Even if the display isn't portrait, but shows the video in landscape (with huge borders on top/bottom)?

The sensor itself is not a square, it's the same aspect ratio as the photos it takes (usually 4:3 on phones, i think?)

So, sure it's possible. They would just need to install the sensor rotated 90 degree.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
But you could crop it vertically and still have more than the minimum horizontal pixels on the shorter axis of the sensor...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Like over the 2 years Ive had a nexus 5x Ive taken about 10 pictures that weren't work related. The rest are pictures of routers/switches, broken down antennas, business cards, etc. I buy phones to play gatcha games and read SA while at work basically.

Either way, the camera itself is fine, the software is just junk.
I never took phone pictures until I had a good camera on my phone. It matters.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

To be fair, I used to be the same way until I got a Pixel. Having a good, fast camera always on you does encourage you to use it more often.
I still use mine about the same amount, around 10 pictures per month.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ilkhan posted:

I never took phone pictures until I had a good camera on my phone. It matters.

Everyone that knows me- "Gosh you keep going to different states and parts of the world because of work and you never take pictures!"

Me (outwardly)- "Im sorry everyone the camera in my phone sucks and I hate using it!"

Me (internally)- "I loving hate taking pictures and a better phone camera will not make me change my mind"

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same. Getting the 2 has been like getting my first DSLR

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Oh god, you guys are going to drive me into spending $1000 CAD on a drat phone.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Buy a thousand dollar phone and a three thousand dollar dslr imo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tsyni posted:

Oh god, you guys are going to drive me into spending $1000 CAD on a drat phone.

It responds to being hugged with "Hi, how can I help" which is unusual but not the worst response to a hug.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

I still use mine about the same amount, around 10 pictures per month.

Yeah that's about what I take but in the decade prior to getting it I took maybe ten pictures in total so that's quite an increase for me. :sweatdrop:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blue Train posted:

Buy a thousand dollar phone and a three thousand dollar dslr imo

Don't doxx me

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Don't doxx me

They didn't say 7 $1000 phones.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
One thing I really miss about the Pixel is having the unlimited storage encouraged me to use it all the time. Even for boring poo poo. Same with the super quick camera.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

One thing I really miss about the Pixel is having the unlimited storage encouraged me to use it all the time. Even for boring poo poo. Same with the super quick camera.

There's still unlimited original quality storage for the Pixel 2. Or did you get something else

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Yo goons. I'm about to put my O.G. 128gig Pixel (not XL) up on buy/sell. Has exactly 1 year of Pixel Protect left, no claims ever been used. It's the Play Store version, not Verizon. Will update post soon.

Please form an orderly line:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2755031&pagenumber=13&perpage=40#post478471927

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hotsauce join me, get a Pixel 2

I did...and sold it within 48 hrs. I was one of the discerning goons who thought the blue tint was too much. Guess I use my phone at extreme angles at all times or something.

\/ \/ \/ \/

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 17, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Yo goons. I'm about to put my O.G. 128gig Pixel (not XL) up on buy/sell. Has exactly 1 year of Pixel Protect left, no claims ever been used. It's the Play Store version, not Verizon. Will update post soon.

Hotsauce join me, get a Pixel 2

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So this just happened in my 2XL. This isn't normal, right?

Not sure if it shows up but the middle of the screen is faded and the top and bottom third seem lighter as well.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Was that the launcher? An app? You obviously can take and upload a screenshot. Reboot?