Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Panzeh posted:

Max Payne 3 was the best Max Payne and its finale is waaaaay better than that of the other two.

Max Payne 3 was (and still is) the best cover shooter ever created

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
There was a fun old-school game from the 80s called Boulder Dash where you had to dig your way through some sort of weird dirt filled underground maze to gather a bunch of gems, but you had to be very where you dug because if you dug in the wrong places you would be crushed by boulders!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Excelzior posted:

Max Payne 3 was (and still is) the best cover shooter ever created

For having the cover stuff, it actually is less of a cover shooter than the other two- most of the time in 1 and 2 you're still just poking around a corner anyway, in 3 you can do the crazy matrix poo poo a lot more.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

veni veni veni posted:

This is actually a pretty good idea. A youtube top ten list channel that only makes videos about other peoples top ten lists. I like it.

Yes, let us construct a whole toilet made out of poo poo

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

Max Payne 3 was the best Max Payne and its finale is waaaaay better than that of the other two.

No. The mechanics were awesome but the story was complete rear end with four different types of secret police.
Brazil was a huge mistake

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Panzeh posted:

For having the cover stuff, it actually is less of a cover shooter than the other two- most of the time in 1 and 2 you're still just poking around a corner anyway, in 3 you can do the crazy matrix poo poo a lot more.

You were playing 1 and 2 wrong.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bholder posted:

Anyone who hates anime has no taste

This is the unpopular video game opinions thread, not the horribly loving wrong thread

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I put probably 50 hours into Max Payne as a child and my only memories are of running into a room and John Wu bullet timing everyone in the room every single time

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

ditty bout my clitty posted:

No. The mechanics were awesome but the story was complete rear end with four different types of secret police.

agreed, the story in the first one was very excellent and stylish, and the third is just rockstar grim schmuckiness

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Worms 3D was unfairly maligned, and backlash against it made them just go back to recreating the same tired formula again because of fanboy pressure rather than attempt to polish a new formula with good potential. Multiplayer in that game was a lot of fun.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jeza posted:

Worms 3D was unfairly maligned, and backlash against it made them just go back to recreating the same tired formula again because of fanboy pressure rather than attempt to polish a new formula with good potential. Multiplayer in that game was a lot of fun.

the best worms is Armageddon for the game boy color because despite the obvious limitations of the system Nintendo's ultrastrict quality controls forced team17/microprose/whoever to find and fix most of their otherwise ubiquitous game-ruining bugs

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The Max Payne movie with Mark Wahlberg was better than Max Payne 1 or 2.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
"Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath" is the best, most innovative fps in the last 15 years. Better story and weapons than anything I can think of.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Oscar Wild posted:

"Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath" is the best, most innovative fps in the last 15 years. Better story and weapons than anything I can think of.

Try N.O.L.F 1/2 and Zeno Clash for some lesser known but cool FPS games if you haven't.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Jeza posted:

Try N.O.L.F 1/2 and Zeno Clash for some lesser known but cool FPS games if you haven't.

I went through zeno clash on the xbox and it left no real impression on me. The art style is interesting but I can't remember the story apart from some weird "mother" thing? And the final boss was dumb, but they usually are.

Are there any good final bosses? Like epic battles with a satisfying denouement?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

a bone to pick posted:

The Max Payne movie with Mark Wahlberg was better than Max Payne 1 or 2.

Fable 3 was better than all the witcher games combined :colbert:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Which is quite the accomplishment considering there is no finer nerdbait than a guy with two swords who gets all the women.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oscar Wild posted:

I went through zeno clash on the xbox and it left no real impression on me. The art style is interesting but I can't remember the story apart from some weird "mother" thing? And the final boss was dumb, but they usually are.

Are there any good final bosses? Like epic battles with a satisfying denouement?

Metal slug 2/X had a really satisfying end boss.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Fable heroes was the best fable game

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ditty bout my clitty posted:

It kinda sucked in the middle and beginning but it ended a lot better than the secret society bullshit from the first two.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

It kinda sucked in the middle and beginning but it ended a lot better than the secret society bullshit from the first two.

Disagree, it was novel the first time. Also it was very noir to kill off mona for good in the second.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Alan wake was really good and it's a shame remedy are stuck making poo poo games for Microsoft instead of more games like Max Payne or Alan wake

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Quote-Unquote posted:

Alan wake was really good and it's a shame remedy are stuck making poo poo games for Microsoft instead of more games like Max Payne or Alan wake

is part of the joke on allan wake that he's a really bad writer? because he's a really bad writer.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Blazing Ownager posted:

This is the unpopular video game opinions thread, not the horribly loving wrong thread

If you hate anime at the age of 20, you have no heart. If you dont hate anime at the age of 40, you have no taste

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Jeza posted:

Isnt NOLF1 impossible to play on modern machines? I dont think it was possible to play back when i last tried to play it which would have been Windows 7 era

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Any game without a big head cheat code is trash

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Meme Emulator posted:

Isnt NOLF1 impossible to play on modern machines? I dont think it was possible to play back when i last tried to play it which would have been Windows 7 era

there's some fanpatch/updated version thing floating around that is sort of in a legal gray area because the rights to NOLF are such a hideous clusterfuck that nobody really has standing to shut it down

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

NOLF is bad so

so who cares???

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption was the best Prime game.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
the Banjo Kazooie series has always been poo poo, they are low-tier garbage collect-a-thons for mindless retards and the only reason anyone has positive memories of it is because of nostalgia.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
the perfect controller doesn't exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7zErlpOXTc

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I play counter strike with this and I can peak corners so loving well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLW2CgzJQVA

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
finally some more god drat buttons for console games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzsAoyKlpmI

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
How do we get people to buy a $200 controller?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsXB33PltGE

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oscar Wild posted:

I thought this until I got the Steam version. The weapons are really cool and it's a shame more games don't utilize the "traps" type of mechanic.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

mind the walrus posted:

I thought this until I got the Steam version. The weapons are really cool and it's a shame more games don't utilize the "traps" type of mechanic.

Why until? You're right, each ammo type is unique, and that can't be said for most shooters, where it's just faster/slower, less power/more power, spread/no spread.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm saying I have fond-rear end memories of playing it back in 2005, then when I played it again in 2015 I discovered that the game had not aged well. Hell, it felt half-baked in 2005 but I forgave it because holy poo poo it was trying something new with an FPS. It's a great game, but it's not a very good one.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
That's fair. But I'd rather replay it than Bioshock infinite.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

sebmojo posted:

is part of the joke on allan wake that he's a really bad writer? because he's a really bad writer.

Yes, very much so. He is explicitly A bad writer written into existence by another writer and it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Panzeh posted:

Dude hell yeah, I'm down with this.

Still my favorite shooter to this day.