Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Is that the kind of thing that smacks of electoral fraud or does that happen all the time by accident and we never notice in races that aren't super close?

A little bit of both, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

holy poo poo

cheetah7071 posted:

Is that the kind of thing that smacks of electoral fraud or does that happen all the time by accident and we never notice in races that aren't super close?

probably a legitimate mistake that normally doesn't matter. everyone's human and nothing is perfect. my guess is they had the wrong house of delegates race on the ballot.

the real problem is, how do you count those votes? do they count for the HoD race in the correct district? how can you determine voter intent, maybe some of the voters would have voted for the Republican. this is why recounts are messy.

axeil fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 16, 2017

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

axeil posted:

probably a legitimate mistake that normally doesn't matter. everyone's human and nothing is perfect. my guess is they had the wrong house of delegates race on the ballot.

the real problem is, how do you count those votes? do they count for the HoD race in the correct district? this is why recounts are messy.

Yeah. I'm not sure there's a better solution for it than a special election though. Obviously they can't count to the wrong district, disenfranchising them is incredibly problematic, and it's a hard argument to make that they intended to vote for anyone who wasn't on the ballot they were given.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

farraday posted:

Yeah. I'm not sure there's a better solution for it than a special election though.

That's probably the best solution out of a whole lot of bad ones (not counting the votes, counting them for the party they were cast for, etc.)

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

quote:

In Fredericksburg, Elias said those results appear to show about 668 votes at precincts that Virginia’s redistricting statutes say are in outgoing House Speaker Bill Howell’s 28th District that instead were cast in Republican Del. Mark Cole’s re-election victory in the 88th District.
Elias, as the lawyer for the House Democratic Caucus, asked the state board of elections in a letter to “take all steps necessary to resolve these discrepancies.”
Asked what those steps would be, Elias said Democrats are first waiting to confirm that some voters were given the wrong ballots at Fredericksburg precincts 201 and 402.
However, the letter to the board asks that the results in House District 28 not be certified as scheduled Monday among other changes. Following a strictly party-line basis, if the number of votes for Democrat Steve Aycock had instead been cast for Joshua Cole and the Republican votes for 88th District incumbent Mark Cole had instead been cast for Bob Thomas, Joshua Cole would be leading in the 28th District.

While Elias said Democrats learned of the potentially incorrect precinct splits only since Election Day, state board of elections records show the same precincts were also split between the 28th and 88th districts in each election since new maps were drawn in 2011.
None of those general elections were close races though, so while rumors had persisted that lines were incorrectly drawn for voting purposes, it is possible any issue did not come to the attention of higher-ranking party officials.
The state board of elections and the Fredericksburg Department of Elections did not immediately respond to requests for comment. The state board of elections is due to convene Monday to certify the statewide vote results.
Democrats have not yet concluded definitively that the lines are incorrect, so any delay tied to a separate federal lawsuit filed late Tuesday over absentee ballots in Stafford County could buy additional time for a resolution.

https://wtop.com/virginia/2017/11/as-va-heads-recounts-dems-ask-hundreds-wrong-ballots-fredericksburg/

This may be more tentative than the tweet makes it sound.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

It sounds like it's an unresolved question that hasn't been figured out before.

I think it's probably lawsuit time.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

How many total votes in that VA district? That's a serious gently caress up.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Zwabu posted:

How many total votes in that VA district? That's a serious gently caress up.

668 between two precincts

My concern with a lawsuit is that even if the lines are incorrect the fact it's been an ongoing thing instead of a one time error is ruled to not disenfranchise those voters as they've been represented. Accordingly they tell them to fix it going forward but don't order any remedy for this election.

No idea what the relevant law is though.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

farraday posted:

My concern with a lawsuit is that even if the lines are incorrect the fact it's been an ongoing thing instead of a one time error is ruled to not disenfranchise those voters as they've been represented. Accordingly they tell them to fix it going forward but don't order any remedy for this election.

I actually meant what were the total number of votes in that race. Also, couldn't you force them, in a suit, to hold the election again?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

farraday posted:

Any decision other than this one is going to result in a giant poo poo-show.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Zwabu posted:

I actually meant what were the total number of votes in that race. Also, couldn't you force them, in a suit, to hold the election again?

About 23.5k in the latest election.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Yeah the wrong ballot race is in my district. I posted about it a couple of days ago, since the local newspaper wrote about it right after the election, but I guess it’s getting bigger now.

The city of Fredericksburg used to be contained all in one VA house district, but several years back they split it in two since we almost always go Democratic. Stafford and Spotsylvania counties encircle us, as well as other conservative counties, so we are split between them.

I received the correct ballot, but who knows.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What's an incorrect ballot?

Edit: unrelated, but holy poo poo this part of Moore's wikipedia page about his Vietnam service:

"Serving as the commander of 188th Military Police Company of the 504th Military Police Battalion,[20] Moore was perceived to be reckless, but very strict. He insisted his troops salute him on the battlefield, against his training, as such recognition facilitates an officer being targeted by an enemy.[21] Some of his soldiers gave him the derogatory nickname "Captain America", due to his attitude toward discipline. This role earned him enemies, and in his autobiography he recalls sleeping on sandbags to avoid a grenade or bomb being tossed under his cot, as many of his men had threatened him with fragging.[19]"

God must have wanted him to punish us, because he sure as hell did the best he could to get himself killed.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 16, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I wonder how many of his old "buddies" would quite happily throw a grenade under him now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They probably feel really bad for not killing him now. I know I would.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What's an incorrect ballot?

It's a ballot for a different district than the one that is supposed to be given. Basically, your vote only counts in the district that you live in, but in this case the options given to you on election day are for the district neighboring you rather than your own. Since so many people don't really research elections and just vote party line, this can get by a lot of people without notice and end up with a lot of votes ending up with people they can't vote for rather than people they can. End result is a lot of invalid votes and no good way to resolve the issue.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Whats the reasoning for not being able to give them new ballots and saying you have a week to mail it back or something?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Communist Zombie posted:

Whats the reasoning for not being able to give them new ballots and saying you have a week to mail it back or something?

the lack of a law saying they can do that, for one

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Communist Zombie posted:

How do you figure out who got the wrong ballots? Also it would violate equal protection (maybe?) as presumably people could vote in that precinct who didn't vote on actual Election Day, while the rest of the state wouldn't get that opportunity.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

evilweasel posted:

the lack of a law saying they can do that, for one

And for two? Cause them having no recourse seems like utter bullshit. If the person who gave them the wrong ballot got charged with voter fraud would be atleast something.

Edit:

axeil posted:

How do you figure out who got the wrong ballots? Also it would violate equal protection (maybe?) as presumably people could vote in that precinct who didn't vote on actual Election Day, while the rest of the state wouldn't get that opportunity.

Well arent ballots also tied to a name? Cause outside of ballots for a wrong district ending up in a precinct that should entirely be one district im not sure how else youd catch this. And im saying only people who got a wrong ballot and turned it in could vote again, cause they clearly had the intention to vote and did vote but other factors caused it to go wrong.

Only other option would be to call a special election and re do it entirely.

Communist Zombie fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 16, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Communist Zombie posted:

And for two? Cause them having no recourse seems like utter bullshit. If the person who gave them the wrong ballot got charged with voter fraud would be atleast something.

There was probably no intent to give the wrong ballot. Seems like it's an unresolved boundary issue. This whole thing isn't any one person's "fault"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Communist Zombie posted:

This is why a court, instead of random people in an internet comedy forum, will be the ones to figure it out

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

This is why a court, instead of random people in an internet comedy forum, will be the ones to figure it out

Im just asking for the legal explaination for why cause just going 'welp, nothing we can do' seems like a violation of their rights.

Unless they use Bush v. Gore as precedent. :v:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
In a lot of cases like this, the court will say that what was done did meaningfully disenfranchise people, but there's no way to fix that, so the only thing to do is to not do that moving forward. It's like voting rights cases, you can't go back and let a systematically disenfranchised group of people retroactively vote in all the elections they missed, you just have to let them vote moving forward.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Communist Zombie posted:

Im just asking for the legal explaination for why cause just going 'welp, nothing we can do' seems like a violation of their rights.

Unless they use Bush v. Gore as precedent. :v:

there hasn't been a legal determination that "welp, nothing we can do" but the fact that your prefered legal remedy isn't provided for by law is a big point against it

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Communist Zombie posted:

Well arent ballots also tied to a name? Cause outside of ballots for a wrong district ending up in a precinct that should entirely be one district im not sure how else youd catch this. And im saying only people who got a wrong ballot and turned it in could vote again, cause they clearly had the intention to vote and did vote but other factors caused it to go wrong.

Only other option would be to call a special election and re do it entirely.

Right. The issue is really convoluted though. While in principle your idea works here are the real world issues you'd have to grapple with:

1) How do you make it so people who didn't vote on election day are not eligible to vote in this new one-off thing. Logically they wouldn't have voted since their vote isn't in the 600 or so.
1a) If you do restrict it, is it even constitutional?
1b) If you don't, is it fair to everyone else in the Commonwealth?

2) How do you make sure everyone who voted gets to vote in this special one-off? If someone voted and then left the country for 2 months their vote went from counting (for the wrong race) to not counting. Presumably to be fair you need 100% re-vote
2a) Is the voting compulsory? What if people legitimately don't want to vote now?

3) Is campaigning allowed? If so then it seems like an unfair advantage given to these candidates over all others. If not it seems like a pretty clear 1st Amendment issue.

These are just off the top of my head.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Communist Zombie posted:

Well arent ballots also tied to a name?

I think you may have missed an important aspect of elections in a democracy: the secret ballot.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Communist Zombie posted:

Our system isn't particularly democratic and really only gives lip service toward the concept. I agree that the disenfranchised voters should be sent provisional ballots as a remedy, but then again the entire election should probably be thrown out since it's gerrymandered to hell and back. The Virginia courts are heavily partisan, so I'd be prepared for nothing good to happen.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

NintyFresh posted:

Yeah the wrong ballot race is in my district. I posted about it a couple of days ago, since the local newspaper wrote about it right after the election, but I guess it’s getting bigger now.

The city of Fredericksburg used to be contained all in one VA house district, but several years back they split it in two since we almost always go Democratic. Stafford and Spotsylvania counties encircle us, as well as other conservative counties, so we are split between them.

I received the correct ballot, but who knows.

I also got the right ballot here and so did the rest of my family from what I’ve heard, but this whole thing is probably working as the Republicans intended.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Quorum posted:

you just have to figure out a new way to not let them vote moving forward.

ftfy

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Recounts have been filed in 2 races the Dems lost for the VA House of Delegates by <107 votes. They currently have 49 seats, winning both would give them control of the chamber.

They're still trying to figure out what the hell to do in the race where ~500 voters got the wrong ballot, but if the Dems are still losing after that is decided they also can file for a recount there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.e7c8447617ff

WaPo posted:

With control of Virginia House at stake, Democrats seek recounts in two races

Virginia Democrats on Wednesday filed for recounts in two House of Delegates races where Republicans won by razor-thin margins, as control of the chamber hangs in the balance.

Democrat Shelly Simonds, who lost to Del. David Yancey (R-Newport News) by 10 votes, filed for a recount in the 94th District. And Democrat Donte Tanner, who lost to Del. Tim Hugo (R-Fairfax County) by 106 votes, is seeking a recount in the 40th District that also includes parts of Prince William county.

Virginia House Democrats have more time to decide whether to seek a recount in a third contest, the Frederickburg-area 28th District, where state officials said scores of voters received the wrong ballots and Republican Bob Thomas defeated Democrat Joshua Cole by 82 votes. That race is the subject of a pending lawsuit filed in federal court.

Republicans currently hold onto their majority in the Virginia House by a 51-49 margin. The GOP boasted a 66-to-34 majority going into the Nov. 7 elections.

Democrats would take control for the first time since 2000 if they prevail in two of the three contested races. If they change the outcome in one race, the two parties must negotiate a power-sharing agreement.

The losing Democrats in all three disputed races have been attending orientation sessions for new lawmakers in the event they eventually win.

“In races with slim margins such as these, recounts ensure that every vote is counted and every voice is heard,” said House Democratic Leader David J. Toscano and Caucus Chair Charniele Herring in a statement. “Ensuring that there were no mistakes in counting these ballots maintains the integrity of the democratic process.”

A spokesman for Del. M. Kirkland Cox (R-Colonial Heights), who is set to be speaker if Republicans stay in the majority, said the requests for recounts were expected.

“As we’ve said consistently, we are committed to open, fair, and honest elections in which all votes lawfully cast by eligible voters are counted,” said Parker Slaybaugh.

After candidates petition for a recount, a judge has seven days to hold a preliminary hearing. Recounts are overseen by a panel including the chief judge of the local circuit court and two judges appointed by the chief justice of the Virginia Supreme Court.

Under Virginia state law, taxpayers pay for the cost of recounts for races where the winning margin is smaller than half of a percentage point. Campaigns still bear the costs of legal fees.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

They're still trying to figure out what the hell to do in the race where ~500 voters got the wrong ballot, but if the Dems are still losing after that is decided they also can file for a recount there.

I'm a little confused there, as it would seem to me that a recount should proceed at the same time as the "uh is this election even valid" - because (a) perhaps the recount moves the margin of victory outside the number of voters who received the wrong ballot, mooting the whole idea of a special election and (b) if not, at least you know definitively who will be the winner if there's not a special election. If I were the judge in that case I'd tell both sides that they should hold a recount and that filing for such a recount wouldn't be a waiver of any claims or defenses. Because god, I would really, really, really be hoping situation (a) happened.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 30, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

I'm a little confused there, as it would seem to me that a recount should proceed at the same time as the "uh is this election even valid" - because (a) perhaps the recount moves the margin of victory outside the number of voters who received the wrong ballot, mooting the whole idea of a special election and (b) if not, at least you know definitively who will be the winner if there's not a special election. If I were the judge in that case I'd tell both sides that they should hold a recount and that filing for such a recount wouldn't be a waiver of any claims or defenses. Because god, I would really, really, really be hoping situation (a) happened.

I think the lawsuit is arguing they should count the 500 ballots for the party they voted for (I doubt they will though). If they allow that then it's over because they are very likely to have voted massively for the Dem candidate and will give the Dem the win (Northam won the precinct by a ton). The recount is less certain and costs state resources so they're waiting to figure out the first question before having it.

I think it could be a procedural issue too, as the vote in this contest isn't even certified yet to my knowledge due to this outstanding issue. You can't have a recount if the vote isn't certified yet.

I agree that a recount finding you don't need the 500 votes would be very helpful but it doesn't seem like that's what's happening here.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

I think the lawsuit is arguing they should count the 500 ballots for the party they voted for (I doubt they will though). If they allow that then it's over because they are very likely to have voted massively for the Dem candidate and will give the Dem the win (Northam won the precinct by a ton). The recount is less certain and costs state resources so they're waiting to figure out the first question before having it.

I think it could be a procedural issue too, as the vote in this contest isn't even certified yet to my knowledge due to this outstanding issue. You can't have a recount if the vote isn't certified yet.

I agree that a recount finding you don't need the 500 votes would be very helpful but it doesn't seem like that's what's happening here.

Is that even technically possible? It's a secret ballot, you know who voted, but how do you identify the ballots at issue - shouldn't they just be mixed in with all of the other ballots with no way to know who exactly those 500 people voted for? Seems to me the only possible solution would be a new special election, or sworn affidavits from every single person at issue saying who they voted for and who they would have voted for had they gotten the correct ballot, and I don't know that the second one is even legal (or the first, but the second one strikes me as even less legal).

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Is that even technically possible? It's a secret ballot, you know who voted, but how do you identify the ballots at issue - shouldn't they just be mixed in with all of the other ballots with no way to know who exactly those 500 people voted for? Seems to me the only possible solution would be a new special election, or sworn affidavits from every single person at issue saying who they voted for and who they would have voted for had they gotten the correct ballot, and I don't know that the second one is even legal (or the first, but the second one strikes me as even less legal).

It's one entire precinct that got the wrong ballot. You don't know who specific people voted for but you know it's all the ballots from a certain location and you also know everyone who voted at that location from the sign-ins. If the court accepts an argument that people would have voted for the other Dem/GOP candidate if given the proper ballot you can count them where they "should" have been.

I agree it's a pretty shaky argument though, you don't know with 100% certainty that people would've voted the same and any kind of affidavits are problematic to say the least because you have to get 100% of all voters to agree they would have voted the same. You can't ask them who they would've voted for, it destroys the secret ballot.

Probably the fairest solution is a special election but I can see the courts really not wanting to do that as a remedy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

It's one entire precinct that got the wrong ballot. You don't know who specific people voted for but you know it's all the ballots from a certain location and you also know everyone who voted at that location from the sign-ins. If the court accepts an argument that people would have voted for the other Dem/GOP candidate if given the proper ballot you can count them where they "should" have been.

I agree it's a pretty shaky argument though, you don't know with 100% certainty that people would've voted the same and any kind of affidavits are problematic to say the least because you have to get 100% of all voters to agree they would have voted the same. You can't ask them who they would've voted for, it destroys the secret ballot.

Probably the fairest solution is a special election but I can see the courts really not wanting to do that as a remedy.

Oh, if it's limited in that specific way then the court should have a much easier time. Hell, they can do a special election in that specific precinct. But yeah, while in practice it is virtually certain that everyone voted for party, not person, our voting system is electing people not parties and so I think that it would be legally indefensible to count them for the party they voted for but not the person.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Oh, if it's limited in that specific way then the court should have a much easier time. Hell, they can do a special election in that specific precinct. But yeah, while in practice it is virtually certain that everyone voted for party, not person, our voting system is electing people not parties and so I think that it would be legally indefensible to count them for the party they voted for but not the person.

Has there ever been a special election in one precinct? Couldn't whoever loses that special argue it's not fair if more/less people vote than originally voted?

Yeah if the VA Supreme Court (who I think has the case right now) argues that people voted for the party and not the person that would be a pretty big shift in how the courts think about elections.

Then again, how often do you have a situation like this where you're voting for the wrong candidate but right party? Any state-wide election is going to have the same person on the ballot, this really only applies to House/State House/State Senate/Local races.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This article is a few days old but it explains what the hell is going on with that one House of Delegates race.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.328ead40d501

WaPo posted:

With uncanny twists and an allegedly rogue registrar, Virginia House left in limbo

RICHMOND — It has all the elements of a political whodunit, even if the “who” part is no mystery. Nearly everyone agrees: The registrar did it.

But why she moved 83 voters from one Virginia House of Delegates district to another, no one seems to know. Former Fredericksburg registrar Juanita Pitchford cannot say. She died in April.

But the adjustments she made in the 28th and 88th districts live on, throwing two House seats and control of the entire chamber into highly litigated limbo nearly three weeks after Election Day.

Adding to the drama are a few uncanny twists. Precisely 83 voters were initially said to have been moved out of a district won by a margin of 82 votes, although after a few days’ investigation, election officials said they had uncovered hundreds of misassigned voters between the two districts. They say 147 of them voted in the wrong district.

Perhaps adding to the confusion: The 28th and the 88th races each had a candidate with the last name Cole, one a Democrat, the other a Republican.

“It’s like a Wes Anderson movie about elections,” said Brian Cannon, executive director of the nonpartisan redistricting group One­Virginia2021. “The whole thing is just crazy coincidences.”

Said Senate Minority Leader Richard L. Saslaw (D-Fairfax): “This whole election reminds me of the old Abbott and Costello routine: ‘Who’s on first?’ Nobody knows what’s going on.”

It would all be one big knee-slapper if the stakes weren’t so high. Control of the state’s lower chamber hangs in the balance.

Republicans boasted a 66-to-34 majority going into this month’s elections. Now the count is 49 Democrats and 51 Republicans, including the two uncertified ­races. If those two delegates are not seated, the parties would be tied at 49 apiece.

Voter confidence could be especially tested if a losing candidate files a challenge with the state legislature, with the winner decided by a House vote, observers say.

Voters who turned out in historic numbers for an off-year election could be turned off if contests end up decided by the House of Delegates, now controlled by Republicans, or a judge, said Cameron Glenn Sasnett, Fairfax County’s general registrar.

“We have this election with phenomenal turnout. And we have people that participated for the first time in a gubernatorial election that are going to now have whatever decision was made by the voters potentially being overturned or challenged or questioned,” Sasnett said. “I think that will impact voter psyches when they go to vote again.”

An election challenge in the legislature would be a rare but not unprecedented means of settling a Virginia General Assembly race.

Democrats and their allies have filed three lawsuits to try to block the State Board of Elections from certifying the 28th and 88th District races. Two of the suits were promptly dismissed. In the third case, a federal judge rejected Democrats’ request for a temporary restraining order to block the state board from certifying the 28th District election when it meets Monday. But he left open the possibility of a special election.

At that hearing in federal court, state officials said, they had discovered a total of 384 misassigned voters between the two House districts. But over the weekend, state elections officials indicated that 147 of the misassigned voters cast ballots.

Elections officials said the trouble began on Charles Street, in a heavily Democratic precinct where in 2016, 68 percent voters went for Hillary Clinton and 27 percent went for President Trump.

The whole street should be in the 28th District. But for some reason, voters living in odd-numbered houses were reassigned to the 88th — an error affecting 83 registered voters. Elections Commissioner Edgardo Cortés disclosed the problem at a public meeting last Monday, saying Pitchford reassigned them in April 2016. He was at a loss to explain why.

There has been some pushback on the rogue registrar theory, with several people suggesting Pitchford could not have acted alone. Her daughter, Aliya Wong, said the registrar had plenty of supervision.

“Blaming my mother seems entirely based on the word of Commissioner Edgardo Cortés,” she wrote in a letter to the editor submitted to The Washington Post. “Why are these ‘errors’ just coming to light now? We know that dead (wo)men tell no tales, but apparently, they make great scapegoats.”

Sasnett, the Fairfax registrar, vouched for Pitchford’s professionalism at last week’s State Board of Elections meeting, saying he found it too convenient to lay the problem at the feet of someone who cannot speak for herself.

The assignment errors would affect both races, but the focus has been on the 28th because it is a squeaker — one of three tight races that are likely headed for recounts and could tip the balance of power in the House after a wave of Democratic wins.

In the 28th, Republican Robert Thomas leads Democrat Joshua Cole by 82 votes in the contest to fill the seat being vacated by retiring Speaker William J. Howell (R-Stafford).

In the 88th District, Del. Mark Cole (R-Fredericksburg) — no relation to Joshua Cole — beat Democrat Steve Aycock by more than 4,000 votes. But if Mark Cole’s race remains uncertified, and he is not seated when the legislature convenes in January, Democrats could use the vacancy to help them gain control of a chamber that the GOP has long dominated.

Democrats could take power if recounts produce a win in two other close races. Del. Timothy D. Hugo (R-Fairfax) has a 106-vote lead over Democrat Donte Tanner, while Del. David E. Yancey (R-Newport News) is up just 10 votes over Democrat Shelly Simonds.

A losing candidate could contest the results in the House, something Saslaw, one of Virginia’s longest-serving legislators, recalls happening just once before.

In 1979, Republican Meyera Oberndorf challenged her loss in a Senate race, which she blamed on malfunctioning voting machines. With the Senate under Democratic control, she got nowhere.

This thing is totally nuts.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

axeil posted:

This article is a few days old but it explains what the hell is going on with that one House of Delegates race.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.328ead40d501

This thing is totally nuts.

Okay, here's my totally bullshit prediction: the Newport News recount flips that seat to the Dems, Cole's bullshit Fredericksburg precinct doesn't get certified until after January, the session begins at 50-49 D and they work out a power sharing arrangement with a Democratic speaker exactly like in 1996.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quorum posted:

Okay, here's my totally bullshit prediction: the Newport News recount flips that seat to the Dems, Cole's bullshit Fredericksburg precinct doesn't get certified until after January, the session begins at 50-49 D and they work out a power sharing arrangement with a Democratic speaker exactly like in 1996.

If the Dems are at 50 with a GOP person not seated they can jam all the committees on day 1 and there's not much the GOP can do about it as there's no tiebreaking procedure (as far as I know)

• Locked thread