Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
e: nope, nevermind, not gonna get into this dipshit argument again, not now, not ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Bimmi posted:

In your mind, maybe.

Bad Seafood posted:

Regarding "Bootleg" chat, now that I've a clearer picture of the situation and its nuances, the only unofficial products I'll be coming down on are 1:1 exact "But cheaper!" recreations which exist explicitly to undercut legitimate products - which I understand this thread is pretty good about jumping on and kicking out anyway. Reproductions of Japan-only limited releases, out-of-stock products, custom variants (such as the detailed DM Unicorn ACES was probated for), and the like may all continue to be discussed without fear of being labeled as "Advocacy."

I apologize for any inconvenience my interference might've caused and hope this well-behaved, otherwise drama-free thread will now be back on track.

TL;DR I done goofed, everything's now back as it was.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Just gently caress already.

There's a sale on at 1999 until the 23rd, if anyone didn't know.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

mikeycp posted:

RIP. Again.

Dammit!

Bimmi posted:

Good riddance.

Piss off.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Good thing we established that they aren't bootlegs forever ago, huh.

So if you make a NEW product based primarily off of an IP you don't own the rights to, it's NOT legitimate copyright infringement? Be right back, I gotta go whip up some original Mario merchandise before the Odyssey hype wears off..

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hmm nah.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You don't have to go full hog black/white morality on copyright, you know. The rational stance is to be against infringement of properties within a grace period, but otherwise be ok with new iterations.

As in, if someone came out with a bootleg RG Unicorn: Banshee Norn ver., gently caress them. But a model kit based off a 4 year old MG model kit based off a 20 year old show? Whatever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neurolimal posted:

You don't have to go full hog black/white morality on copyright, you know. The rational stance is to be against infringement of properties within a grace period, but otherwise be ok with new iterations.

As in, if someone came out with a bootleg RG Unicorn: Banshee Norn ver., gently caress them. But a model kit based off a 4 year old MG model kit based off a 20 year old show? Whatever.

I don't think that argument really works when Bandai are well-known for regularly producing new runs of their back-catalogue.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RillAkBea posted:

So if you make a NEW product based primarily off of an IP you don't own the rights to, it's NOT legitimate copyright infringement? Be right back, I gotta go whip up some original Mario merchandise before the Odyssey hype wears off..

You would have to make your own original version of Mario. Like Mario wearing a bucket hat. Then it would be fine.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think that argument really works when Bandai are well-known for regularly producing new runs of their back-catalogue.

Or that time some Chinese company unveiled their Master Grade Providence Gundam and then literally less than a week later Bandai unveiled the actual Master Grade Providence Gundam

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I mean, so does Disney, and most people tend to agree that their stranglehold on copyright and IP laws is absurd.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

I don't share your criteria, considering that Bandai is pretty good with non P-Bandai reprints but I get where you're coming from. For me, I'm okay with it so long as it isn't just straight up selling itself as being the same thing but cheaper. Not that I feel any pity towards the huge corporation, but to be honest it's just not interesting. Save a few bucks for the hassle of dealing with worse plastic and probable fitting issues? If I'm getting something that's not Bandai, it needs to have something appealing and unique to it, whether it's more detail, a suit you can't find elsewhere, or in the worst case scenario something that's been out of print forever because of limited runs. If I'm going third party, it's because they have something I love and can't get otherwise.

The DM Exia I've been working on is a great example of that, it's using the proportions of the various Metal Builds as the base, but I'm way more attached to something that I built myself than just buying something pre built, and all the options for customization and modification just make it all the better since I can personalize it by taking my favorite parts of each of the options. You lose out on some of the high quality painting (if you're like me and are a mostly straight build plebian), and diecast and stuff, but it's way more satisfying and personal. At the very least, it has to do something to make it more interesting, and not just doing a ctrl+c ctrl+v remold like Daban does.

This goes doubly for stuff like the Hazel or Woundwort. They're stuff that at best are going to end up as P-Bandai, if they ever get made at all, so I don't feel bad about getting the Magic Toys Hazel or Cutecube Woundwort. But then, Bandai came out with a Hazel of their own, and once I get some free money, I'm getting that one too. Same goes for any eventual 1/100 Xi or Penelope models that Bandai might do in the future, even though I have the Mechanicore versions. They all have their own personal aesthetic sensibilities and touches, and I hope I get the chance to have them side by side on my shelf someday.

Edit:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Or that time some Chinese company unveiled their Master Grade Providence Gundam and then literally less than a week later Bandai unveiled the actual Master Grade Providence Gundam

This is actually a great point in working in the reverse. The third party kit looked okay, and I was gonna buy it because I liked the design, but then Bandai dropped their version and I immediately dropped my preorder with SD like a hot stone. The official Bandai one just had so much more detail, was so much bigger, more imposing, had a way cooler saber arm, and just a bunch of other cool things that made the other one look like crap in comparison. At least to me, I know Taurus likes his, but I find the official one way more appealing, and the best part is I don't even have to buy it now and can just get it when I want to in the future because I don't have to worry about it disappearing forever.

It really does cut both ways, and for me, I'm just interested in what suits my tastes more.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 16, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, so does Disney, and most people tend to agree that their stranglehold on copyright and IP laws is absurd.

...So you're saying people should be free to make their own Mickey Mouse cartoons without licensing or fear of being sued? :psyduck:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If we didn't have bootleg toys half of Phelous's video catalog would be gone. And that would be sad.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

...So you're saying people should be free to make their own Mickey Mouse cartoons without licensing or fear of being sued? :psyduck:

Considering he's 11 years off from being 100 years old, yeah. Totally. Innovation is often born from reiteration.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Dm was playing with fire and I can see why bandai came down. I'm prettry sure that dm stuff also ate into the sales of existing bandai stuff. Like I remember a ton of people saying don't buy the mg destiny get the dm one. A kit based on the metal build. I don't think bandai was being unreasonable here.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I for one an disappointed I didn't grab the Exia Avalanche when I had the chance. Oh Well.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
For those who care, GMC just put the last DM Exia Repair kit they found in the warehouse up for auction on their ebay page: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DRAGON-MOMOKO-1-100-GUNDAM-MB-Ver-MG-EXIA-REPAIR-R1-4-R1-4-DM035B-/132401203456

Edit: aaaaand i'm out. 80 Canadian dollars and I still get outbid.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 16, 2017

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
As an alternative to 3rd party copyright morality debates, I present the new Kotobukiya ARX-7 Arbalest, AKA the reason why I just JIMP: https://hlj.com/product/KBYKP-366

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

1/60? That's like HG size equivalent right?

I see there's a 1/48 of Mao's on offer from Aoshima. Would that fit in better with my 1/100s? Assuming it's any good that is.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

1/60? That's like HG size equivalent right?

I see there's a 1/48 of Mao's on offer from Aoshima. Would that fit in better with my 1/100s? Assuming it's any good that is.

I have that and the normal M9 in Private Warehouse along with the VCD Giant Robo. My wallet fears the shipping total but if you don't mind waiting a week or so I'll take the plunge. At this point it's cheaper for 3-day DHL or Fedex than EMS. :smith:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Disney's copyright lobbying has effectively destroyed the concept of public domain in north america

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm not going going into the knockoff discussion itself but I just want to complain about a related but different thing:

I preordered the DM Exia set with the R1-2-3 parts, paid for it. Few weeks later I got the shipping invoice from Samueldecal.
Since his shipping option was hilariously expensive (like I can ship 2 PG's for that) I messaged him about it mainly thinking it was just a wrong amount, he took a p long time to get back to me. Can't blame him for the time delay since he's a single (or few) people operation. Well today I got the message I would get refunded since he had expanded his stock and no more production runs where coming.

I'm not really convinced he did a bad shipping practice, it sucks for me but I'm not mad or anything; got a full refund right away. But I bought this set only because of the cool design and it being ordered at the end of a really lovely summer; so now I'm double bummed out. :smith: Guess ill try to track down a Metal build 00Q now, that was next on the list of reinterpretation designs I loved.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

This policy isn't really important in this situation, Bimmi's posts are rule breaking without having to delve into a former mod's policy. Regardless, feel free to submit reports on people who violate the policy, this thread usually never has any problems so I'm kinda shocked.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
What rules am I breaking, exactly? Not trying to be lovely, am genuinely curious.

e: I generally leave the bootleg issue alone, despite having strong opinions, but if there's some rule to the effect of "no criticism allowed" I was certainly not aware of it.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 16, 2017

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Bimmi posted:

What rules am I breaking, exactly? Not trying to be lovely, am genuinely curious.

e: I generally leave the bootleg issue alone, despite having strong opinions, but if there's some rule to the effect of "no criticism allowed" I was certainly not aware of it.

The "don't be a huge rear end in a top hat" rule.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Hey guys I like model kits of giant robots. What are some of your favorite giant robots? I知 building an MG Ez-8 right now what fun model kits are you guys building?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ive been working on (started and then petered out on) an mg f91 for like 2 years (finished torso and head) and a pg rx 78-2 for over a decade (finished everything but the legs).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Deep Striker, Exia, and Unicorn are all in various states of completion/disassembly. And that's before getting into the actual backlog. :negative:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm waiting for a Lightning Black Warrior to arrive so I can start on my project for the C-SPAM Gunpla Challenge.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was going to get a Geara Zulu guards type, but I waited one day and my local store sold it. Must be a popular kit...

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Deep Striker, Exia, and Unicorn are all in various states of completion/disassembly. And that's before getting into the actual backlog. :negative:

Yeah I dont have a huge backlog, but in addition to the f91 (which I will almost certainly return to before the pg rx78) I have an mg heavyarms and mg tallgeese.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
MR continues to be best mod. :allears:

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
So, the process if I'm going to Matt Coat this MG Zaku from fresh-in-box is:

-Wash in soapy water to remove sandpaper and grit

-Do panel lining and stickers/decals

-Gloss Coat

-Testor's Dullcoat

Right? I'm a dumbass and I don't want to gently caress it up.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My decals for my Kampfer showed up so I can finish that but I also need to make progress on my PG Strike. Also I had my first RG, 3 HGs, and the Hyaku Shiki show up today.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gonna start on the pg zaku 2 as part one of a project that project I've wanted to do since I first started modelling and make a hanger like the ones shown in the underground base for 0083.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I put together the RG Unicorn and had so much fun I picked up the untransformed HG so I can put them next to each other. Gotta say, that HG is one of the best I've had. Stable, 2 stickers, easy to panel line, nearly everything is white so no stress mark worries. Took 3 hours masking the clear bits on the RG

Also made little notecard placards with their name + grade + scale so they look like museum specimens

Wow! So real!!

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

worthless. posted:

Hey guys I like model kits of giant robots. What are some of your favorite giant robots? I知 building an MG Ez-8 right now what fun model kits are you guys building?

The Z'gok is fun to build even if its old . Currently I'm building a MG Rick Dom.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I知 building the RG Unicorn now too. The details are cool, but I prefer the excellent articulation of the RG Exia so far. I only have the legs completed on the Unicorn though.

I have an HG Barzam and an MG Turn X in my backlog. I知 considering picking up an Assault Buster V2 next because I love the look. Once the Turn X is complete, I would love to build the MG Nu and MG Sazabi. I like to build MGs in matching pairs.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

I知 building the RG Unicorn now too. The details are cool, but I prefer the excellent articulation of the RG Exia so far. I only have the legs completed on the Unicorn though.

I have an HG Barzam and an MG Turn X in my backlog. I知 considering picking up an Assault Buster V2 next because I love the look. Once the Turn X is complete, I would love to build the MG Nu and MG Sazabi. I like to build MGs in matching pairs.

Speaking of the Turn X, I recently ordered the butterfly wings for the MG Turn A. I'm considering recreating the end of the final showdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Now that I know those exist, I need them as well.