Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

This is a few pages back, but I actually have this book (the above hardcover) yet have never got around to reading it is worthwhile?

I cant imagine it isnt, given its directly written by Donitz even if its all bollocks it tells us how he thought rather than how people thought he thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You could do a similar comparison with the queens of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, St Kitts and Nevis, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 16, 2017

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanine posted:

im sure this will be well received by this, the thread that totally understands leftism and doesn't skew conservative at all in its interpretations of history

aaaaaaannd i was proven right

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Oh gently caress off

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

You could do a similar comparison with the queens of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, St Kitts and Nevis, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

You go back a bit more then a century then it was literally 1/4-1/3 of the earth all had a queen that looked almost identical.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kanine posted:

Pro tip: no you weren't

I say this as an unabashed left-winger.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right

Here I am, stuck with a Centrist in view.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Hunt11 posted:

You go back a bit more then a century then it was literally 1/4-1/3 of the earth all had a queen that looked almost identical.

It's not quite the same now. While all the queens may be the same person right now, if one country changes their rules of succession then they may end up with a different monarch to the others. Elizabeth II is simultaneously the queen of a number of countries, rather than the queen of an empire and through that the head of state of imperial possessions.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Perestroika posted:

Oh hey, speaking of ironmaking, there is something I've been wondering about for a while. You know, whenever you read about stuff like crucible steel and steelmaking in general in Asia what with all the folding and whatnot, the common takeaway is "produces good steel, but required much more work than contemporary European methods".

But then I realised I actually have no idea what these European methods were. I did some googling, but most of what I found seemed to focus on 18th century and beyond. So far my understanding of that whole topic starts with the term "blast furnace" and from there on its sort of a blank space. So how did places like Spain, France, or Germany make their steel in the high to late middle ages? What made their methods so efficient that they could manage to pump out all those shiny cuirasses?

Afaik the use of water power for increasingly larger bellows and the hammermills. They used bloomeries, which means that the product contains lots of slag. You have to hammer those out, and with the hammerworks this could be done with large pieces and quite fast too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah as far as I know the only method of producing steel before the advent of the blast furnace was blooming it which is... sort of you build a one shot furnace and fire it, then knock it apart and take the molten lump of steel and a bunch of poo poo out of the middle, then whack the hell out of it to get the good stuff. You can do it in a more permanent structure too but you still get a big lump of stuff out at the end which you have to then work with hammers.

This is also how they did it in Asia, but specifically with Japan the issue is that Japan has absolutely poo poo iron deposits, and this method is really quite dependent on you having good ore to get a good amount of steel out at the end, because you can't precisely control the metallurgic content of the end product like you can with a fancy blast furnace, so if you have poor ore you get a lot of poor quality metal out at the end. So in Japan if you want a good steel sword you have to smelt a huge amount of ore and then work the good steel bits together. So it's very very labour intensive.

China on the other hand apparently invented the blast furnace really early, whereas Japan didn't get them until well after they took off in Europe.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 16, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My sister in law has a degree in historical craft/costuming. She literally weaves her own fabric from period-accurate materials, and has repaired/restored 500 year old articles of clothing for museums and has made replicas for display in museums too. In short, she knows what she's talking about and is literally an expert in her field.

She posted this exchange from some idiot (in red) from a general sewing group on facebook, making the assertion that there were no such things as buttons, clasps, ties, drawstrings, or belts until recent history, and before then everyone would just be sewn into their smelly clothes and wear them until they burst the seams.

Also, the concept of kings or royalty was invented in Japan in the 7th century. Also, there was no way to measure small enough increments to do things like "make clothing". The simpletons of the day would wonder "how can I measure something and then create an item of similar size?" and just shrug.

How long did it take the soldiers in the early modern period to be sewn into their tents every night when on campaign?
not myths. did history.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I didn’t know William Manchester was on Facebook

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
how is anyone that loving stupid

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how is anyone that loving stupid

Hello, sir, may I introduce you to the Internet?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

canyoneer posted:

not myths. did history.

new thread title

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Perestroika posted:

Oh hey, speaking of ironmaking, there is something I've been wondering about for a while. You know, whenever you read about stuff like crucible steel and steelmaking in general in Asia what with all the folding and whatnot, the common takeaway is "produces good steel, but required much more work than contemporary European methods".

But then I realised I actually have no idea what these European methods were. I did some googling, but most of what I found seemed to focus on 18th century and beyond. So far my understanding of that whole topic starts with the term "blast furnace" and from there on its sort of a blank space. So how did places like Spain, France, or Germany make their steel in the high to late middle ages? What made their methods so efficient that they could manage to pump out all those shiny cuirasses?
this is a rodrigo diaz question

loving sober him up then ask him

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
"Getting dressed took half a day." I know that from somewhere.

This person is hillariously stupid.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Thanks for the answers about academics. History has always been a collection of interesting stories to me, so I'm trying to understand more of the academic side.

Something that popped into my head, are there any examples of sloped armor or spaced armor being used in personal armor?
The only example I can really think of for the latter category is those big shoulder shields Samurai wore, but I'm also down for finding out about some crazy gothic plate equipped with blackpowder reactive armor.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Rockopolis posted:

Thanks for the answers about academics. History has always been a collection of interesting stories to me, so I'm trying to understand more of the academic side.

Something that popped into my head, are there any examples of sloped armor or spaced armor being used in personal armor?
The only example I can really think of for the latter category is those big shoulder shields Samurai wore, but I'm also down for finding out about some crazy gothic plate equipped with blackpowder reactive armor.

Just look at any random picture of a suit of armor. Almost all of them have some kind of slope to make it difficult for an edge or point to really bite on them. I

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

new thread title

It’s overdue, and that’s a great one mods please

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rockopolis posted:

What specifically do you mean by this? Armor of all types was angled to increase deflection. That's why some helmets have goofy looking points. The entire point is to direct a downward blow off to the side instead of landing firmly on the head.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The other day I saw a dude correct and explain the movie the costumes from Raiders of the Lost Ark were inspired by to the costume designer for Raiders of the Lost Ark

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Incidentally, a helmet is also a kind of a spaced armour: It's often hanging onto your head on a leather suspension system so that it doesn't smack onto your head when someone takes a swing at you. This particular design (a so-called "great bascinet") also rests on your shoulders and straps to your cuirass so it doesn't strain your neck.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
That's actually a lot of stuff that's obvious in hindsight, but I never thought about it that way. I was thinking in terms of something, like, I dunno, a giant wedge-shaped breastplate to be stab proof or whatever. Seems like the kind of thing that'd come from the same school of thought that made star forts.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Rockopolis posted:

That's actually a lot of stuff that's obvious in hindsight, but I never thought about it that way. I was thinking in terms of something, like, I dunno, a giant wedge-shaped breastplate to be stab proof or whatever. Seems like the kind of thing that'd come from the same school of thought that made star forts.

Most breastplates had a wedge for exactly that reason. Push the tip to the side, make it harder for it to bite in and penetrate.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Siivola posted:

Incidentally, a helmet is also a kind of a spaced armour: It's often hanging onto your head on a leather suspension system so that it doesn't smack onto your head when someone takes a swing at you. This particular design (a so-called "great bascinet") also rests on your shoulders and straps to your cuirass so it doesn't strain your neck.

So, to change your field of vision while wearing something like that did you have to pivot your whole body or did it have some kind of articulation?

Feel like I should know this already but I don't.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You're supposed to turn your shoulders, I think. I was about to say you can turn your head inside it, but considering how narrow the facial opening under the visor can be, that sounds less than useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuGoj9jA8_0

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

canyoneer posted:

My sister in law has a degree in historical craft/costuming. She literally weaves her own fabric from period-accurate materials, and has repaired/restored 500 year old articles of clothing for museums and has made replicas for display in museums too. In short, she knows what she's talking about and is literally an expert in her field.
may i hang out with your sister in law

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kanine posted:

which one of us studies one of the most oppressed populations in european history? a group of people who were never given a voice by their superiors? despised by both their superiors and civilians? who nevertheless organized themselves into self-governing workers' councils? who regarded themselves as an aristocracy of labor?

their example may (I believe but cannot prove) have led to the mindset of the earliest trade union movements, in the late 18th / earliest 19th century?

you know nothing about the left.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

HEY GUNS posted:

you know nothing of my work.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You own it, shouldn't you be telling us? :confused:

I saved it along with waaay to many books from my grandparents when I was in middleschool and they moved into a retirement community. I just recognized the cover, when I get back to my parents house where it's stored I can read it.

Also how do you come to the conclusion the first Royal's were Japanese in 600... like Hammurabi and Babylon was like a millennia older than that ffs.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 17, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That whole thing reminds me of those blurbs from "A World Lit Only By Fire" that were posted in this thread(or maybe the last thread?)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

HEY GUNS posted:

may i hang out with your sister in law

Yeah you two would get along. If you're in the Madrid area in the next 8 months or so you would have a lot to chat about.

A couple years ago she modified this lame astronaut-suit santa

and turned him into a landsknecht inspired Santa, complete with codpiece.

Unsurprisingly, her family's halloween costumes are :krad:. Here's a vaguely 18th century-ish plague doctor costume she made for my nephew a few years ago

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

canyoneer posted:

Unsurprisingly, her family's halloween costumes are :krad:. Here's a vaguely 18th century-ish plague doctor costume she made for my nephew a few years ago

I see a belt buckle. Belt buckles weren't invented until the 21st century. This kind of blatant inaccuracy clearly demonstrates that her credentials are bogus.

Edit: AND THE BUTTONS. HOY BOY. Now I see she's just trolling.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

We'd love to be able to join in the attack and defenestrations at ten AM but you see it's 8 AM now and our lads just started getting dressed. We won't be ready to move for at least five more hours

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I don't know how you can think it took people in the middle ages hours to get dressed. It's been conclusively proven that most people went totally naked, and couldn't go shopping in the next town without getting hopelessly lost.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

dublish posted:

I don't know how you can think it took people in the middle ages hours to get dressed. It's been conclusively proven that most people went totally naked, and couldn't go shopping in the next town without getting hopelessly lost.

It is where the expression "ball walking" came from. When strutting balls-out naked, you point the toes and step with the forefoot to accentuate one's genitals. Stepping with the forefoot feels unnatural when not naked, and this became so associated with ball walking that the term for the forefoot became "ball". The phrase ball walking has fallen out of use, but "ball of foot" has stuck

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dublish posted:

That's why there were no buttons, the romans invented them but it took like a thousand years to make it across the alps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

canyoneer posted:

How long did it take the soldiers in the early modern period to be sewn into their tents every night when on campaign?
not myths. did history.

Soldiers carried looms, and would weave the tents around themselves.