Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Three-Phase posted:

If it makes you feel any better we still have systems where some process temperatures are measured in Fahrenheit (like air temperature) and others in Centigrade (bearing temperature) on the same control screen.

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of Americans who monitor temperatures in their computers do so in centigrade even if they may use fahrenheit for everything else. Back when Windows supported desktop widgets I used to have the two literally right next to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Large aircraft tires are generally as big as, or bigger than a tractor trailer tire, and also running at higher pressures. They don’t fail often (there are fuse plugs that are supposed to stop that from happening,) but when they do, holy poo poo.

It’s also worth noting that almost all aviation wheels above ~6in diameter are wheelhalves, bolted together for extra heebie-jeebies.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

.......They can puree a mouse in under 30 seconds but you can't get a blender that won't choke on ice.

Looks like Im hitting up the used market for a Mouse-Mixer!

Ice is some amazing material, though. Substance density is also a factor: Mouse bones might be strong, but they're also small, meaning that the quantity of strength of ice surpasses the quality of strength of bones.

Now I'm curious if there was ever an osteology study on the strength of microfractured bones like those in athletes.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://twitter.com/glasnostgone/status/930821480107175936

:vince:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This is just the teaser, they didn't put three tiers of tray to only use one.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Three-Phase posted:

It’s the same measurement... :shrug:
What US unit of measurement in your life is so much worse that circular mils doesn't faze you?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Groda posted:

What US unit of measurement in your life is so much worse that circular mils doesn't faze you?

Eh, they're perfectly fine in their place.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Thank GOD we keep letting non-corrupt organisations life fifa and the IOC choose only the best and most suitable countries to host these events, with no kind of bribes or payoffs of any kind whatsoever. Now, coming from abu dhabi, the winter olympics 2022!!!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Groda posted:

microbarns

ironically, convertible to circular mil at a rate of ~5x10^24 : 1

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 17, 2017

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Johnny Aztec posted:

.......They can puree a mouse in under 30 seconds but you can't get a blender that won't choke on ice.

Looks like Im hitting up the used market for a Mouse-Mixer!

Vitamix dude

I bet it'd do a pretty good job with those mouse femurs too

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Ah, the classic exhibit #12: urine in a Gatorade bottle.

Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Has there been any sightings of load bearing tarps or dogs yet? Also why do I feel that someone paid for the first wiring job but the material was used for another job/stolen.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Phanatic posted:

On turbo gauges, boost is in psi and vacuum is in inches of mercury. It makes me so angry.
Entirely (and historically) consistent within imperial contexts. Vacuum is a finite range of 0-14.7psia. So you're stuck with only 14 whole number gradations. You can get 29 out of it with inhg.

e. unknown urine would make a really good username.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Ah, the classic exhibit #12: urine in a Gatorade bottle.

Reduce, reuse, recycle.

#13 urine in the Miller High Life bottle is more my speed. You're drinking the worst cheap beer you can find in the post-grad lab at 3am, you know that if you go to downstairs to the mens' room you're going to alert security, gently caress it, the bottle is right there.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Memento posted:

#13 urine in the Miller High Life bottle is more my speed. You're drinking the worst cheap beer you can find in the post-grad lab at 3am, you know that if you go to downstairs to the mens' room you're going to alert security, gently caress it, the bottle is right there.

Considering the Powerade's topped off I'm pretty sure the miller high life was a field expedient solution to the rapidly appearing dilemma

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
holy poo poo genuine cancer.

been a while.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Jar marked sulfur: #3 Unknown Sulfur

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Synthbuttrange posted:

Budget cuts are hitting hard :(

:smith:

at least it looks like a city building game

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Lurking Haro posted:

The bottle marked Powerade was mislabeled, so you need to test them all to be sure.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Lurking Haro posted:

That's like the first rule of forensic chemistry: ignore the label of unconfirmed substances.

Encrypted posted:

It would not pleasantly surprise me if the narrator got a cut in pay, but was still on board for it as "the voice of preventing future tragedy" in some notion of patriotic commitment :unsmith:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Encrypted posted:

Holy poo poo, i would buy the gently caress out of "CSB accidents: the video game". We may have just found a way to fund the CSB.

Like, you get put into a job and then everything explodes and you have to figure out why.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Mistle posted:

That's like the first rule of forensic chemistry: ignore the label of unconfirmed substances.

Depends on how far back you go, in the 1800s the first rule of organic chemistry was "Describe the flavor"

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Gromit posted:

The bottle marked Powerade was mislabeled, so you need to test them all to be sure.

Mistle posted:

They did test that HU-210 and Aluminium Nitrate compound before writing labels, though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Powershift posted:

Holy poo poo, i would buy the gently caress out of "CSB accidents: the video game". We may have just found a way to fund the CSB.

Like, you get put into a job and then everything explodes and you have to figure out why.

Mystery of the Druids - featuring the world's worst detective: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo4M1tlpv9rsM6Qb70XLqsPK6iAXluwQ2

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

The Disasters dropdown will have one button you can press: Human Error.

But then you could pick facility features like 3% nonconforming pipe valve designs, and illegal fireworks handling.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Powershift posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251110/INFRA/

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

Powershift posted:

Build a chemical plant. Write and review the safety guidelines and operation procedures. Wait for the dwarfs to inevitably do something stupid. Would play.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
that looks kinda cool.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Powershift posted:

Dwarf Fortress has been out for over a decade

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

shame on an IGA posted:

Dwarf Fortress has been out for over a decade

"But the outer floodgate, left open and menacing with spikes of iron, was not rated to handle the incoming flow of high temperature demons."

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i wish i could ever play that game

:smithfrog:

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

ExecuDork posted:

During my M.Sc. in biology a dozen years ago (nothing to do with rodents, but the lab down the hall...) I saw ads like this in every hard-copy issue of every biology journal around. I mentioned one such ad to another grad student who was doing something with mice or rats but I didn't know the details, and he was very happy with the homogenizer they had, apparently they had had some problems with previous devices. What I got out of that was these things are subject to intense commercial competition, with various manufacturers constantly innovating their rodent-blenders and pushing the technology forward.

By now, you can probably puree a rat in under 10 seconds, and the machine that does it costs 1/4 what the best mouse-shredders of 20 years ago cost.

https://www.nextadvance.com/homogenization/mouse-femur-tissue-homogenization/

This one has gone a different direction - smaller samples (just the femur, not the whole mouse) but multiple samples in parallel.

oh totally but the hobbyist market isn't nearly as robust

sometimes i wanna make the jump into something a little more professional but it's hard to justify the jump in cost when you're just doing it for fun around the house as kind of a rainy-day thing. i'm not sure if i'd really see the benefit, but that being said some of the literature has been mighty persuasive so i've got a salesman stopping by monday evening to consult with me. i don't know for sure if i'm gonna make the leap, but i've got some bonus money coming and i've been eyeballing it for a while now.

and people say woodworking is an expensive hobby lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Look if you're not into the kilomouse per minute range in tyool 2017 just maybe go have a hard think about your pureeing goals and whether you're truly committed.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
"The Dwarf migrants sent into the channel to clear the blockage lacked the necessary training and equipment for entry into hazardous, magma-drenched enclosed spaces. PPE consisted of rotting spidersilk jumpers, a kobold-leather cloak, and highly-flammable wooden helmets soaked in plump helmet beer. One worker brought her infant daughter into the channel, carried in one arm.

The workers were not informed of the magma resivour just four tiles away from the work area that was quickly reaching critical capacity due to the blockage, and no effort was made to shut down the magma pumps feeding into the system.

The facilities' lock-out procedure also proved to be a contributing factor in the disaster; with no physical blocks or signage in place, the intricate, lever-based control system was instead merely closed off to workers via a simple locked olivenite door. Lever-pulling children were not informed of the work going on in magma channel 03. Finally, on the day of the accident, eyewitness accounts stated that the blockading door was wedged open by the rotting corpse of a butterfly."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Look if you're not into the kilomouse per minute range in tyool 2017 just maybe go have a hard think about your pureeing goals and whether you're truly committed.

Hey, some of us are quite happy to be hobbyists, beavering away at home with a Dremel and a MinceMouse attachment.

Maybe we don't process as many mice per hour as you so-called professionals, but I can drat sure say our mouse-shakes bring all the boys to the yard, and I'm like, our quality is better than yours.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

BernieLomax posted:

Build a chemical plant. Write and review the safety guidelines and operation procedures. Wait for the dwarfs to inevitably do something stupid. Would play.

Like that auto mechanic game, but you're maintaining pipework at a chemical refinery.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not really sure why that CSB video looks like the result of budget cuts. It's not the full report and when compared to the some of the other incidents they cover this one wasn't the result of problems arising in a single area from a single person but a site-wide series of events that none of the employees could have stopped with the equipment, procedures, and training they had. There's no point in showing the people, forklifts, or trucks moving at ground level because there were no problems with any of that. The problem was the floodwater spreading across the plant and reaching the generators and the truck refrigerators. There's no need to show someone driving a forklift through the flood.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the video title says preliminary animation, i'm pretty sure a better quality one will eventually be released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

sneakyfrog posted:

i wish i could ever play that game

:smithfrog:

Dwarf Fortress is like Eve Online: reading the stories is more fun than creating them yourself.