Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KingKapalone posted:

Almost $0.20 per kW/h :O

Probably about $0.66/day. Profitable at least :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

1gnoirents posted:

This is what i thought but turns out its hardly a difference. I save 15 whole watts by not mining on the CPU, making it very efficient to mine with in conjunction with GPU mining.

I'm curious - what's your CPU and are you doing other things on the box at the same time or would it be idling except for Nicehash?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Eletriarnation posted:

I'm curious - what's your CPU and are you doing other things on the box at the same time or would it be idling except for Nicehash?

Nothing, I try to keep my computers very vanilla. It doesnt idle for Nicehash it would seem. I even bought a killawatt just to check that specific issue. Though now that I think about it, it might have been closer to 30 watts... its been a few months. Also its a 6600k and not a 4670k but I can't imagine that makes much difference here.

One thing for sure is its running whether or not youre mining with the CPU, might as well mine with it, especially in the last 2 months or so as its pretty much been a 10% increase in revenue.

Edit: sample size 1 and all that. If anybody has a kill a watt or ups to confirm they see the same sort of thing itd probably help others to decide to turn on CPU mining

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 13, 2017

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Stanley Pain posted:

Probably about $0.66/day. Profitable at least :haw:

Oh I've just looked at the detailed bill and the way I was calculating it before included the fixed costs as well as taxes. It looks like the rate for winter is exactly what I found when I googled average kWh cost in Minnesota which is $0.1135/kWh.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I'm CPU mining aeon and it works out pretty well. Getting like .3 a day with a 3770.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Still kinda sad there's no goon mining pool.

Nicehash seems to be a blackbox run by those mysterious and nefarious ruskies. :krakentoot:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i trust the russians more than goons with my bitcoins

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

i trust the russians more than goons with my bitcoins

Lol. True.

On a positive note, my locked up backlogged buttcoins came through and Coinbase actually accepted them, despite their 24 hour return policy. I guess this was an exception due to the widespread unconfirmed transaction issues.

And I hate to jinx it but my burrito/day has been holding at a pretty solid high for the past few days. I'm consistently over $4 on a non-OC 1080ti

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 15, 2017

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I think I managed to setup NiceHash wrong despite how easy it seemed. In the Wallet setting in the app I just put in my coinbase address since it never said anything about using a NiceHash wallet. I checked Coinbase and there isn't anything. I made a NiceHash account and see that it has its own wallet number. Is that the one I'm supposed to be using? How does this thing link to Coinbase and why would I want two wallets? I was going to buy some BTC on Coinbase so it seems silly to have it split.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

KingKapalone posted:

I think I managed to setup NiceHash wrong despite how easy it seemed. In the Wallet setting in the app I just put in my coinbase address since it never said anything about using a NiceHash wallet. I checked Coinbase and there isn't anything. I made a NiceHash account and see that it has its own wallet number. Is that the one I'm supposed to be using? How does this thing link to Coinbase and why would I want two wallets? I was going to buy some BTC on Coinbase so it seems silly to have it split.

NiceHash only pays out to an external wallet once you've accrued at least 10 mBTC. Using your coinbase wallet is fine.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Oh good. Thanks. Does that still mean it's accruing or losing value as BTC market price shifts?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You make btc in real time, and are paid that BTC out.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

KingKapalone posted:

Oh good. Thanks. Does that still mean it's accruing or losing value as BTC market price shifts?

Yeah once you get paid in BTC, thats your BTC, that value wont change. What its worth of course shifts dramatically but that number wont (can just imagine it like regular currency in the bank at that point).

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
My friend called me yesterday about building $10k in mining rigs and I gave every disclaimer I could but I think he's still gonna do it :lol:

Wish he lived close to me I'd actually enjoy setting that up.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

My friend called me yesterday about building $10k in mining rigs and I gave every disclaimer I could but I think he's still gonna do it :lol:

Get a consulting fee, and get it up front, in USD.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

MaxxBot posted:

Wish he lived close to me I'd actually enjoy setting that up.

Yeah, it's basically gambling, but if you go back three months in the thread the bubble was supposed to pop then. At least he'll have assets he can sell at a smaller loss than he would have if he just invested 10k in the buttcoins.

As long as he can afford the loss, go hog wild.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Volta gets announced the day he powers them on

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I told him to get this but with 6x GTX 1070 see anything wrong with it?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d3jWxY

Plus PCI-E risers from ebay

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's always pretty stupid no matter what but he should really be waiting for the next card then go all in so he the highest chance of staying profitable. The newer the card the more he can get back when selling them. Buying in now is a sure way to lose when the next gen of cards is on the horizon.

It's probably going to be a refresh but the efficiency gain is actually important when power cost is a major expense

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 16, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah I told him like twice to wait for Volta maybe I'll press the point again

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah I told him like twice to wait for Volta maybe I'll press the point again

i dont think volta is next, didnt nvidia say their lead over AMD was strong enough they were sticking with pascal for the next release?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

i dont think volta is next, didnt nvidia say their lead over AMD was strong enough they were sticking with pascal for the next release?

I thought they just changed the name to differentiate it from compute Volta last I heard

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

MaxxBot posted:

I told him to get this but with 6x GTX 1070 see anything wrong with it?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d3jWxY

Plus PCI-E risers from ebay

Why would you do a z270?

Get a motherboard deigned for mining and run as many cards as you can off it

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...id=LPQ5XLPKH8FQ

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
8 cents mined on my 1070, I decided to do it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

8 cents mined on my 1070, I decided to do it.

My 1070 with memory at +600mHz was pulling $2.30-2.60 daily when I left for work this morning. It's worth it when you only have to leave the computer running.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I just need the bubble to last until the PayPal window runs out. Up up up

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

future ghost posted:

I just need the bubble to last until the PayPal window runs out. Up up up

What window ?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The window of time where someone can cancel/dispute a paypal transaction. It's like...3 months?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Yeah the dispute window from selling the cards on eBay in the summer. I thought it was 6 months - if it's 3 then the bubble is free to pop.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
This Monero craze is helping with the burritos, sorry not sorry to all those intel guys :smug:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Risky Bisquick posted:

This Monero craze is helping with the burritos, sorry not sorry to all those intel guys :smug:

Lol I was going to mention this before but forgot. All CPU stuff is way up, but a 1700 and up made more than 580's last week

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Risky Bisquick posted:

guess I should fire up my 1950x :getin:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
let us know what you get

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Stress test your oc for real fake MONEY

also FYI Vega 56/64 get around 1800 crypto hashes $$$$$$$

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Risky Bisquick posted:

Stress test your oc for real fake MONEY

also FYI Vega 56/64 get around 1800 crypto hashes $$$$$$$

too bad you can only buy reference heaters

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Does anyone have a good guide for how to throttle NiceHash's various miners? I can't seem to find the right combination of settings either in the app itself or the "advanced" config files that actually keeps my system usable at the desktop. Even telling it to only use GPU #2 and nothing else still ends up with intermittent stuttering where even typing or moving the mouse lags.

Ideally I'd have it cranking away on GPU #2 non-stop and then bring in #1 plus the CPU when idle, but I'd be happy with being able to just have it use both GPUs to 80% and leave some power for the desktop compositor to do its thing while I manually pin the CPU miner to two cores.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

wolrah posted:

Does anyone have a good guide for how to throttle NiceHash's various miners? I can't seem to find the right combination of settings either in the app itself or the "advanced" config files that actually keeps my system usable at the desktop. Even telling it to only use GPU #2 and nothing else still ends up with intermittent stuttering where even typing or moving the mouse lags.

Ideally I'd have it cranking away on GPU #2 non-stop and then bring in #1 plus the CPU when idle, but I'd be happy with being able to just have it use both GPUs to 80% and leave some power for the desktop compositor to do its thing while I manually pin the CPU miner to two cores.

I just use MSI afterburner to throttle my 2nd card and mine while I play

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm not looking to play games while I mine, just to get it to stop making my desktop literally freeze solid for 1-10 seconds at a time randomly so I can do my normal day jobbing and forums browsing without interruptions.

As far as Afterburner I think you may have misunderstood, I'm not looking to limit the GPU temp/noise/power consumption, I'm looking to prevent the mining tools from taking 100% of the GPU so the desktop window manager can have the little bit it needs to maintain a responsive system.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

thats not candy posted:

NiceHash only pays out to an external wallet once you've accrued at least 10 mBTC. Using your coinbase wallet is fine.

10 mbtc is .001 btc, right? And if you pay out before to coinbase, do you just lose the money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Alright I read the OP but I have a question. If mining Bitcoin is dumb and bad and I should be mining something else why do you suggest I sign up for a Bitcoin wallet?

Bearing in mind I am a normal so much of this is above my head.

• Locked thread