Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

R0ckfish posted:

So why is GW devoting time to churning out new things like new terrain or easy build versions of things when there are things that have been out of stock for literal months? I can kinda get easy builds to get people into the game, but is it not better to make more of the stuff that is flying off the shelves?

Word on the grapevine is that they recently bought and installed new machines but found out that Nottingham's power grid didn't have the capacity to support them, so it's quite possible that planned restocks are being pushed back while a solution is found and they're using certain simple kits as a stopgap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It probably also has a lot to do with them making a ton of sales with the release of 8th and poo poo going out of stock as the new codices are announced/released. They'll catch up.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Plus there's a big effort to rebox every kit with the rules included, which is a logistics headache of every store sending their stock back and then sending them the reboxes.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

R0ckfish posted:

They just updated the xenos 1 index FAQ, soulburst is your turn only and limited like psykers in one usage per turn for each ability.

Link?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Mef989 posted:

I've thought about redoing corsairs at some point. I used to play them in 6th when Doom of Mymira first came out, before the 7th Ed update made them stupid good. My problem always has been how forge world is slow as poo poo to update their rules and how many errors you'd always find despite how much their books cost. I could totally see doing a new warband using Saim Hann rules instead though (I'd love to kit bash some windriders with reavers). A biker army is the one thing I've wanted to build since I first started playing in 3rd but never really did except for a real brief period of playing Kult of Speed with the Armageddon book. I might have to steel this idea eventually once I'm finished with Craftwords, Dark Eldar and Harlequins.

Preach it! FW has always been cool ideas, mediocre execution, and then just left on the shelf. I always found it an extra, unnecessary level of aggravation how their rules would always be a step behind the Codex. Frankly it's much easier to just proxy with craftworld rules. Only rub is that I really want to use open-topped transports (they're cool) and it's completely impossible to put craftworld units in them now, only Harlequins and 'Drukhari'. I've got a harlequin Skyweaver I converted to have Eldar Corsair crew, which I basically can't use unless I cook up a squad of counts-as Harlequins to ride in it.

My only other units that I can really say I've converted to have a corsair-ish slant are jetbikes, where I added heads, weapons, and WHFB dark elf cloaks to the old windriders:

And some actual jetpack corsairs, which I assembled with DE Scourge legs, as well as a mix of bare heads and some extra melee weapons. I should take some photos of them, but like most of the Eldar they are behind some Imperium models in the painting queue.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/warhammer_40000_index_xenos_1_en-1.pdf

Or

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Designers Commentary also updated. Index wargear is okay for Codex units:

quote:

For example, if you wished to use a Commissar with a power axe, you would check if the codex – Codex: Astra Militarum – has a datasheet for Commissars. It does, so you would use this datasheet – however, it does not support the wargear options which allow him to replace his power sword with a power axe, so you would use the Commissar wargear options from Index: Imperium 2.

Similarly, as Codex: Astra Militarum does not have a weapon profile for the power axe, you would use the one found in Index: Imperium 2. When coming to calculate the points cost, the Commissar himself and the bolt pistol have points in Codex: Astra Militarum, so you would use those alongside the cost for the power axe from Index: Imperium 2.

Alternatively, if you wished to field an Autarch model with a banshee mask, you would use the Autarch datasheet from Codex: Craftworlds alongside the appropriate wargear option from Index: Xenos 1. Codex: Craftworlds contains rules and points costs for all your Autarch’s wargear, so you would use these in place of the ones from Index: Xenos 1.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Mef989 posted:

I really like this list. I'm lukewarm on the spectres though because of my issues taking forgeworld at the moment. Is FW coming out with any new books soon for xenos/eldar or are their indexes it for now?

Also, how does the hemlock stand up to the exarch crimson hunter?

If I were to replace the Shadow Specters, I would go with Shining Spears. I feel the Shining Spears offer similar crowd control and can also crack open pretty much anything in melee. Fire Dragons or a webway wraith unit could also work; it would be tough to fit in a third serpent. You could also throw in some clawed fiends for soulburst duty/melee distraction.

I haven't had a chance to try out the flyers extensively. The Hemlock is marginally more durable (spirit stones) and, more importantly, does not really degrade since its guns auto-hit. It's also a psyker, although it can no longer cast buffs.

The Crimson Hunter Exarch can somewhat more easily take advantage of the Altaioc trait since its guns are much longer ranged, and, absent smite, does more damage against vehicles. I'm considering one of each, and taking a three flyer air wing wouldn't be out of the question in a pure craftworlds list IMO.

Edit: some rumors say chapter approved will also include FW--it probably should for things like Malefic Lords and Earthshaker batteries

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

TKIY posted:

why the gently caress not include the wargear in the codex if youre allowed to use it from the index anyway?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That almost certainly wasnt the original intent.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Sounds like a stopgap for older/legacy models that have WYSIWIG stuff. The codex is the current vision of what GW wants the faction to be in 8th, but the indexes were built to handle any and all models from previous editions, right? Same thing pops up with the SM dreadnoughts using any index weapon.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Keurig-smashers confirmed as Genestealer cultists :tinfoil:

Was... was there ever any doubt in your mind?

:confused:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

why the gently caress not include the wargear in the codex if youre allowed to use it from the index anyway?

To discourage their use. I'm not going to convert up a TLAC dread now, knowing that it might not survive the next edition.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

To discourage their use. I'm not going to convert up a TLAC dread now, knowing that it might not survive the next edition.

Yeah, this course is especially harsh on characters when you get forced into taking nonsensical wargear loadouts, or in the case of the codex Eldar foot autarch, use rules for a model that doesn't really exist unless you use Yriel

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Hencoe posted:

I'm sorry but he's still our local guy, emphasis on the "Glacial" :colbert:

gently caress you he's ours now

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Because they want to make everyone happy - they want Newbie Joe to not get confused and frightened when he sees things in the codex that aren't on the sprue or in the box, and they want Veteran Jim to still be able to use all his old models.

They failed to realize Newbie Joe will still be confused and frightened when he plays against Veteran Joe and he has bike librarians and autocannon dreads.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah i think the philisophy was solid but the execution absolutely hosed up. You kinda have to go all or nothing on these things.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

bonds0097 posted:

Original Khador battlebox warjack.

These were my first models. God the gap on those models were terrible.
I thought ages of filing and greenstuff was just run of the mill for everything.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

DeceasedHorse posted:

If I were to replace the Shadow Specters, I would go with Shining Spears. I feel the Shining Spears offer similar crowd control and can also crack open pretty much anything in melee. Fire Dragons or a webway wraith unit could also work; it would be tough to fit in a third serpent. You could also throw in some clawed fiends for soulburst duty/melee distraction.

I haven't had a chance to try out the flyers extensively. The Hemlock is marginally more durable (spirit stones) and, more importantly, does not really degrade since its guns auto-hit. It's also a psyker, although it can no longer cast buffs.

The Crimson Hunter Exarch can somewhat more easily take advantage of the Altaioc trait since its guns are much longer ranged, and, absent smite, does more damage against vehicles. I'm considering one of each, and taking a three flyer air wing wouldn't be out of the question in a pure craftworlds list IMO.

Edit: some rumors say chapter approved will also include FW--it probably should for things like Malefic Lords and Earthshaker batteries

Backing up the vote of confidence in shining spears. Their shooting alone is pretty fierce (4 shuriken shots at 12" plus the lance at 6"), coupled with their damage on the charge they just destroy what you point them at.

I only used a crimson hunter once, earlier this week, and it was terrific but I was probably quite lucky. Still, 160pts for that weapons loadout seems fairly good, and you hit on 3s on the move; being hard to hit/assault yourself is probably a trade off for the inability to hold objectives.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Tyranid breakthrough. All our guns look like penises and no one cares how they are modeled. New names for all guns:

Heavy Penisgun
Penispistol
Wangcannon
Quad Johnsonlauncher
Schlongbreaker

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Flavivirus posted:

Word on the grapevine is that they recently bought and installed new machines but found out that Nottingham's power grid didn't have the capacity to support them, so it's quite possible that planned restocks are being pushed back while a solution is found and they're using certain simple kits as a stopgap.

loving hell, really? This is both hilarious and, upon reflection, completely unsurprising. Some project manager done hosed up on that one.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Dumping some stuff for Christmas times. PM me if you're interested!

Corvus Blackstar x 2 NIB - $80 bundled, $50 Each shipped

Imperial Knight Crusader x 2 NIB - $120 Each, shipped.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Speaking of Knights, are they worthwhile for Chaos (or Death Guard)? How do people load them out?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Gilgameshback posted:

Speaking of Knights, are they worthwhile for Chaos (or Death Guard)? How do people load them out?

My own sense is that Knights are a bit overcosted for what they bring to the table right now. I've tried to make my Paladin work a few times and I've always felt like I would have been better off taking something else with those 500 odd points.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Test scheme for Hive Fleet Orochi (and my first ever Tyranid model)

Suggestions for further highlight colors? Tongue color? Basing?

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Traces of yellow can make for a cool green highlight color, for fleshy bits I like going with red/pink but it's entirely up to you and looks pretty good already!

I got to try out the new 'Nid dex today with a Carnifex heavy list and it was a blast! 2+ to hit with scything talons is loving terrific, and I think Spore Cysts are mandatory for how much they help you weather incoming fire on your way in (and they also let the Malanthrope help other units instead).

:getin:

edit: vvv For close matches with the index Nids I've found that opponents that beat me usually do so with good target prioritization. Don't know if that helps.

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 17, 2017

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Reverse question with all this Tyranid goodness:

Can a boring, regular Space Marine army (That loses miserably to Tyranids in melee, characters notwithstanding) have a chance of fighting them now outside of a Tournament style Guilliman/AsscanRazorbacks list? Not bemoaning as I haven't tried it yet, I'm just querying, but if they've gotten better in melee, AND now have reasonable shooting, what exactly are you supposed to do?

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

TKIY posted:

Hang on, hang on, dial the heck back that’s...incredibly broken on Autarchs, because all the index entries had an option on banshee masks, so congratulations, every Autarch is now overwatch immune. Immune overwatch is literally a whole Eldar warlord trait, that sure looks embarrassing now.

I’m sure when I read these rules earlier today they looked like the dodged that bullet...but no. Do you lose 5he star glaive to do it? This isn’t really clear.

I mean I have a foot autarch modelled with glaive, avenger catapult and banshee mask and it would be nice to be able to use it, but every one getting a free mandiblaster or (lets be honest) banshee mask can’t have been their intention.

A few other things - I’m baffled that the wording for grinding advance is different to pulsed laser discharge while I think doing exactly the same thing. Grinding advance is “if it moves blah in it’s movement phase it can shoot its turret weapon twice in the following shooting phase” whereas pulsed laser is “if it moves blah in its movement phase it can shoot twice in its next shooting phase”, which given that wording triggers when you’re currently in the movement phase is still the following shooting phase. Odd to use different wording, unless it’s related to the following point.

The really interesting one is partially by implication, but the last point raised (a grab bag of interesting facts about fire and fade including the hilarious “yes if you ever use fire and fade on a flyer it immediately crashes”) clears up a point that caused multiple ambiguities in the codex - if an ability says “if unit does x during y phase” that does apply if unit uses an ability or strategems to do thing x as if it were y phase. That’s potentially quite a buff to Baharroth in particular - in a brigade detachment he could spam fire and fade a lot to scatter mortal wounds like candy (use quicken from a warlock too for extra points).

Maybe the weird fire prism wording is to insulate against that - if it used the grinding advance wording and you really squinted you could argue that it let you shoot in your opponents shooting phase as well if you fire and faded after shooting.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

One_Wing posted:

Hang on, hang on, dial the heck back that’s...incredibly broken on Autarchs, because all the index entries had an option on banshee masks, so congratulations, every Autarch is now overwatch immune. Immune overwatch is literally a whole Eldar warlord trait, that sure looks embarrassing now.

I’m sure when I read these rules earlier today they looked like the dodged that bullet...but no. Do you lose 5he star glaive to do it? This isn’t really clear.

I mean I have a foot autarch modelled with glaive, avenger catapult and banshee mask and it would be nice to be able to use it, but every one getting a free mandiblaster or (lets be honest) banshee mask can’t have been their intention.

A few other things - I’m baffled that the wording for grinding advance is different to pulsed laser discharge while I think doing exactly the same thing. Grinding advance is “if it moves blah in it’s movement phase it can shoot its turret weapon twice in the following shooting phase” whereas pulsed laser is “if it moves blah in its movement phase it can shoot twice in its next shooting phase”, which given were currently in the movement phase is still the following shooting phase. Odd to use different wording, unless it’s related to the following point.

The really interesting one is partially by implication, but the last point raised (a grab bag of interesting facts about fire and fade) clears up a point that caused multiple ambiguities in the codex - if an ability says “if unit does x during y phase” that does apply if unit uses an ability or strategems to do thing x as if it were y phase. That’s potentially quite a buff to Baharroth in particular - in a brigade detachment he could spam fire and fade a lot to scatter mortal wounds like candy (use quicken from a warlock too for extra points).

Maybe the weird fire prism wording is to insulate against that - if it used the grinding advance wording and you really squinted you could argue that it let you shoot in your opponents shooting phase as well if you fire and faded after shooting.

Are Banshee Masks still 0 points in teh Codex? You have to use the most recent points and rules for each thing regardless of where it comes from.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

Are Banshee Masks still 0 points in teh Codex? You have to use the most recent points and rules for each thing regardless of where it comes from.

Yup.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
That also means you can buy an autarch 2 aspect weapons in addition to the star glaive

So dude could have a star glaive in one hand, a fusion gun in the second hand, and a deathspinner in the third hand

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Deified Data posted:

I like it. Give it a good base that lets the colors pop and frankly your probably good to go

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

chutche2 posted:

That also means you can buy an autarch 2 aspect weapons in addition to the star glaive

So dude could have a star glaive in one hand, a fusion gun in the second hand, and a deathspinner in the third hand

Assuming you get to keep the star glaive which is slightly unclear. I think you do because the aspect weapons were additive so it’s not incompatible with using as much of the base data sheet as possible, but you could also read it that in order to take the other options you shift to the base weapon load out of the index version then build from there.

Evidence for the former is that they tell you to use the current data sheet, evidence for the latter is that some index wordings will only make sense if they’re built on top of the index baseline (I.e. if the index says “you may replace x with y” and the codex baseline doesn’t have x).

GW I will review your rules for consistency and comprehension for you at very reasonable rates (I.e. send me a free PDF and I’ll review it) you should totally hire me. I find it hilarious that they have, in fact, had to FAQ the blazing star of Vaul to apply to twin catapults after realising no characters could take a shuriken catapult, which I spotted the second I read the entry. Although actually the Autarchs thing screws that up too because now you can get an avenger catapult on an Autarch, but now the blazing star explicitly excludes this.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

R0ckfish posted:

So why is GW devoting time to churning out new things like new terrain or easy build versions of things when there are things that have been out of stock for literal months? I can kinda get easy builds to get people into the game, but is it not better to make more of the stuff that is flying off the shelves?

Because their design and production schedule runs 2-3 years ahead of releases, and no one predicted that selling products that customers actually want to buy will result in increased sales.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yeah feels like sunsetting / deprecating. They're still allowed but now they're not recommended.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Deified Data posted:

Looks pretty good to me, although the green could use a little more contrast. Maybe a light green highlight or another wash / shade ?

Although with 'nids, you want something pretty simple for your mass-troops, so that's probably good for genestealers. But for like a 'fex or a tyrant I would consider adding another shade of green.

A red tongue would look pretty wicked. And if you could paint the little arm-ridge-things that tyranids have some other color like orange or yellow or red, that'd give it more pop. But again, you probably have like loving 50 genestealers so :effort:

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Deified Data posted:

Give them a differing in the ribbed inner skin bits to break up the green a bit - red or pink would work well for this, since it's on the complementary side of the color wheel to green.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

TKIY posted:

I guess that leaves my Autarch with a Warp Jump Generator out in the cold still though? Swooping Hawk Wings, Jetbikes, and Warp Jump Generators seem to make models into different units rather than being wargear. :(

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Shockeh posted:

Reverse question with all this Tyranid goodness:

Can a boring, regular Space Marine army (That loses miserably to Tyranids in melee, characters notwithstanding) have a chance of fighting them now outside of a Tournament style Guilliman/AsscanRazorbacks list? Not bemoaning as I haven't tried it yet, I'm just querying, but if they've gotten better in melee, AND now have reasonable shooting, what exactly are you supposed to do?

It’s hard to say, a big problem is now that initiative is gone the person who charges gets to hit first, meaning even nasty CC units can get their nuts pinched before they can let loose.

If you are wanting to mix it up I might recommend some of the following:
1) Vanguard Vets - take with duel chain swords for 4 attacks, use the attack twice stratagem to turn them into poor man berserkers. Bring a jump pack captain and Lt to make them not suck rear end.
2) scout bikes - take in squads of 3 and give the Sgt a storm bolter. Get in your opponents face and unload your shotguns and bike bolters, then charge into weaker enemies, fall back to deal mortal wounds, and shoot them again as Ultramarines.
3) Reivers - combat knives mean 3 attacks per model.

Ultimately vanilla Marines don’t have any super nasty CC units, certainly not the kind that can clear out large piles of cultists or gaunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So after fiddling around with some armored lists I decided to put together a horde list and throw it into this thread to see if I'm looking at horde DG the correct way

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Death Guard) [78 PL, 1499pts] ++

+ HQ +

Malignant Plaguecaster [6 PL, 110pts]: Blades of Putrefaction, Plague Wind, The Pandemic Staff

Typhus [9 PL, 175pts]: Miasma of Pestilence, Putrescent Vitality

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [12 PL, 176pts]
. 35x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun
. Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Heavy stubber
. Cultist Champion: Autogun

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 120pts]: 20x Poxwalker

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 120pts]: 20x Poxwalker

+ Elites +