Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wooger posted:

In the same boat here, though I'm pretty sure Vimium can be configured to use gu as vimperator did.

Vimium is acceptable for now, but there's a much better Chrome extension call cVim that I hope can get ported.

Config files, much more control & goes a bit further in terms of features.

Yeah, I miss gu when it comes to GDTs over in SAS. Really easy to clear out the "#lastpost" part of the url.

e: the other thing that's broken as gently caress is the the yanking of URLs

e2: I put in a feature request for Vimium to have the ability change the cut point for URLs for gu

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Does anyone know if there's any way to paste Excel data into Firefox and have it keep its table structure? This works fine in other browsers, but Firefox pastes it in rows of plain text without a table. I tried searching for it and found a workaround of pasting into Word, then Firefox, but that's a bit of a hassle for how often I'll be doing this.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Does anyone know if there's any way to paste Excel data into Firefox and have it keep its table structure? This works fine in other browsers, but Firefox pastes it in rows of plain text without a table. I tried searching for it and found a workaround of pasting into Word, then Firefox, but that's a bit of a hassle for how often I'll be doing this.

What do you mean: paste data into Firefox? Do you have some web form with a rich text editor that somehow works with tables in other browsers but not in Firefox? I would complain to the developers of said web application.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Volguus posted:

What do you mean: paste data into Firefox? Do you have some web form with a rich text editor that somehow works with tables in other browsers but not in Firefox? I would complain to the developers of said web application.

Oops, yes, I should've been more specific. I'm trying to paste into Gmail and it works just fine with Chrome and, uh, Edge, but this is what I see with Firefox:

I don't even mind if the color formatting goes away, I'd just like it in a table :-|

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
:lol: I disabled updates yesterday and it STILL upgraded to 57, somebody shoot me.

and because I was a lazy poo poo and stuck with noscript instead of switching to umatrix, I have to figure out all the scripts I need to block all over again.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The thing that I like about Firefox's big UI updates is that there is almost always a way to disable or revert things.

This time, I deleted all of the dumb extra space on either side of the URL bar, and deleted a bunch of extra new buttons. I have a small quirk that they changed the icon of the bookmarks menu to a Star with a bracket under it-- I keep accidentally clicking on the "show sidebars" button thinking it is bookmarks.

Changing the Firefox default theme to "light" helped revert the non-current tabs to a light background instead of black.

Now if only I could find a way to disable the short fade in/out menus on the bookmark menu and such.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

stopped using nightly builds and switched back to the stable, when i tried 57 for the first time i couldn't really go back. firefox feels more like a complete, working piece of software than it's done in years

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
Update: profile refresh fixed the borked uBlock Origin.

My phone just updated to the latest Firefox for Android, and wow, Mozilla have the absolute worst UI designers on the entire planet. I have my Nexus 6P set to a high scaling mode so I can see *more* things on the screen, but it thinks I want the tablet UI as a result (which can't be changed). As of the latest update, that gives me enough space for something like 10 characters of the URL to be visible. Good thing seeing the URL isn't important to identify phishing sites, guys.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Freakazoid_ posted:

:lol: I disabled updates yesterday and it STILL upgraded to 57, somebody shoot me.

and because I was a lazy poo poo and stuck with noscript instead of switching to umatrix, I have to figure out all the scripts I need to block all over again.
I kept installing an older version until it stuck.

Is it normal for 57 to open multiple instances in the processes of task manager? It used less memory than ESR, but ran firefox four times and added to more usage of memory than before.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Scalding Coffee posted:

I kept installing an older version until it stuck.

Is it normal for 57 to open multiple instances in the processes of task manager? It used less memory than ESR, but ran firefox four times and added to more usage of memory than before.

Yes, that is normal. Don’t worry so much about memory.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Double Punctuation posted:

Yes, that is normal. Don’t worry so much about memory.
This is a bullshit response. There are still people stuck with the hardware they have, and a basic browser should not be a resource pit. (And I say that with Chrome in mind as the worst offender most of the time.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can set it to use fewer processes in options but I don't think it will save much memory by doing so. You'll just have two 500 mb threads instead of four that go like 400-350-250-10 or whatever.

e:

FRINGE posted:

This is a bullshit response. There are still people stuck with the hardware they have, and a basic browser should not be a resource pit. (And I say that with Chrome in mind as the worst offender most of the time.)
On the flipside there are a whole lot of people that find nothing wrong with having 100 open tabs and somehow think it's the browser's fault for spending 3 gigs of memory on youtube video tabs they pressed pause on sometime last week with a "wanna get back to that later".

The good thing about having multiple processes is that the OS can hopefully page out more of those tabs out to the disk since their content process is doing nothing. You may see it take up 500mb of memory in Task Manager, but that doesn't mean 500mb of real RAM use.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 16, 2017

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

jeeves posted:

The thing that I like about Firefox's big UI updates is that there is almost always a way to disable or revert things.

This time, I deleted all of the dumb extra space on either side of the URL bar, and deleted a bunch of extra new buttons. I have a small quirk that they changed the icon of the bookmarks menu to a Star with a bracket under it-- I keep accidentally clicking on the "show sidebars" button thinking it is bookmarks.

Changing the Firefox default theme to "light" helped revert the non-current tabs to a light background instead of black.

Now if only I could find a way to disable the short fade in/out menus on the bookmark menu and such.

how do you change the theme?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Oops, yes, I should've been more specific. I'm trying to paste into Gmail and it works just fine with Chrome and, uh, Edge, but this is what I see with Firefox:

I don't even mind if the color formatting goes away, I'd just like it in a table :-|

As you probably saw already, google is not very helpful with this problem. I'd try running firefox without any extensions to see if that works. Maybe gmail in firefox sets the text area to a plain text field instead of rich text? It would be low from them, but probably not impossible.Or maybe you set something at some point and just forgot? Can you paste bold text in that field?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

clockworkjoe posted:

how do you change the theme?

Addons -> themes -> Light theme.

The black background tabs really annoyed me, this fixes it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

My phone just updated to the latest Firefox for Android, and wow, Mozilla have the absolute worst UI designers on the entire planet.

Yeah I'm also highly unimpressed by the bright white notifications bar when in the FF app and no option for dark mode. Tried setting a theme but it did nothing for the notifications bar.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Klyith posted:

On the flipside there are a whole lot of people that find nothing wrong with having 100 open tabs and somehow think it's the browser's fault for spending 3 gigs of memory on youtube video tabs they pressed pause on sometime last week with a "wanna get back to that later".

The good thing about having multiple processes is that the OS can hopefully page out more of those tabs out to the disk since their content process is doing nothing. You may see it take up 500mb of memory in Task Manager, but that doesn't mean 500mb of real RAM use.

Or Firefox could have launched 57 with support for tabs.discard() instead of rushing out a release that doesn't even reach the low bar Chrome sets.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Firefox 57 for Android question.

What's the equivalent of the override web fonts setting on the desktop? because the option to not download web fonts isn't equivalent, or simply doesn't work.

Basically on my GF's phone, I've replaced the Roboto fonts with Dyslexie (because she's Dyslexic) and now I'm trying to make Firefox for Android use "Roboto" for everything as well, but sites like the BBC are still showing in their own cutom snowflake font.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Man people think this update is bad? I have only been pleasantly surprised and VERY impressed/happy with everything in the new update. Even things I thought would be terrible like the extension shenanigans, just made me realize I used stupid extensions that probably shouldn't be updated.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

jokes posted:

Man people think this update is bad? I have only been pleasantly surprised and VERY impressed/happy with everything in the new update. Even things I thought would be terrible like the extension shenanigans, just made me realize I used stupid extensions that probably shouldn't be updated.

There's a few glitches, but nothing that won't be ironed out within a few weeks, but losing extensions takes time to get used to.

Overall Quantum looks like it will be okay but for now it's half-baked.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
For me, luckily, the couple of extensions that I use were updated and work nicely (ublock origin is the main one). I am perfectly fine with this update. Wasn't blown away by the speed, probably because i already have a fast computer and I never have more than 15 tabs open (i start closing if i get around that number, it makes me nervous for some reason).

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Looked over the past 5 pages and did not see anything. Is there a new youtube title link extension that works with 57? The old greasemonkey one I have doesn't work.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Bugsy posted:

Looked over the past 5 pages and did not see anything. Is there a new youtube title link extension that works with 57? The old greasemonkey one I have doesn't work.

Just replace Greasemonkey with Violentmonkey and your old scripts should work again.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bewilderment posted:

Firefox having TreeStyle tab is like the main thing keeping me to it, though it's been good, or at least OK, to me, over the years.

Out of interest to any other browsers have it? Chrome has an extension but it's a weird docking sidebar window.

Someone wrote a add-on for Vivaldi with Tree Tabs, but it was extremely early and buggy when I tried it a few months ago. No idea how well it progressed: https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/15332/tree-tabs/12

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Make NoScript Work Again

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

Make NoScript Work Again

Feels weird without it doesn't it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

Maybe it's great under the hood, but as someone who doesn't use 100s of tabs all the time and had no reason to complain about browser performance for the past ~decade, that bothers me much less than missing functionality, awful design decisions and the tendency to patronize its users unless they want to manually mess with user.css and install a billion (fewer with WebExt I guess) addons to revert changes.

Or generally: "may as well use Chrome now".

Also the Android release is pure poo poo and I've gone back to an older APK even faster than back when they removed my prefered tab layout in tablet mode with version 36 or thereabouts.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pendent posted:

The only problem I'm having with the new Firefox is that lack of SALR and Keefox but that is proving to be fairly obnoxious. I miss being able to just hit alt to bring up my SA stuff :(

I'm using Keefox on 57 - it is called Kee.

frottage
Nov 15, 2017
I used tab mix plus for all my tab handling. Is multi line tabs gone now? TMP is not supported in this build.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

orcane posted:

Also the Android release is pure poo poo and I've gone back to an older APK even faster than back when they removed my prefered tab layout in tablet mode with version 36 or thereabouts.

For those wondering what all the complaining is about for the Android version, here's how much URL space I'm presented with on my Nexus 6P:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

orcane posted:

Or generally: "may as well use Chrome now".

Soon IE Edge will surpass the other two in every feature and history will begin anew.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Decius posted:

Someone wrote a add-on for Vivaldi with Tree Tabs, but it was extremely early and buggy when I tried it a few months ago. No idea how well it progressed: https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/15332/tree-tabs/12

I used this for the ~4 months I used Vivaldi and found it to be perfectly fine. Only change I had to make was to remove 'Close All Other Tabs' from the context menu because I kept misclicking it.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Volguus posted:

As you probably saw already, google is not very helpful with this problem. I'd try running firefox without any extensions to see if that works. Maybe gmail in firefox sets the text area to a plain text field instead of rich text? It would be low from them, but probably not impossible.Or maybe you set something at some point and just forgot? Can you paste bold text in that field?

Ha, yes, Google was surprisingly unhelpful here. It's very strange because you can go from Excel to Word to Gmail and have everything come out just fine (tables, formatting, etc), but when you go straight to Excel it strips everything and pastes as plain text. Oh well. I'll go through Mozilla's bug submission process and let everyone know if I hear anything. Thank you for checking this one out! I appreciate it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ha, yes, Google was surprisingly unhelpful here. It's very strange because you can go from Excel to Word to Gmail and have everything come out just fine (tables, formatting, etc), but when you go straight to Excel it strips everything and pastes as plain text. Oh well. I'll go through Mozilla's bug submission process and let everyone know if I hear anything. Thank you for checking this one out! I appreciate it.

Thank you for actually submitting a bug report instead of throwing a fit and doing nothing.

That said, I think browsers at this point come down to two things: addon availability and personal preference. Sure, there's performance differences now, but are you going to notice them?

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Omg, found an official bug report for the same problem and it's from 2002 :-|

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

For those wondering what all the complaining is about for the Android version, here's how much URL space I'm presented with on my Nexus 6P:

My Firefox for Android looks nothing like that.

Mine looks like the pictures in this article:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/09/28/firefox-57-beta-arrives-new-ui-revamped-new-tab-page-incognito-keyboard-support-apk-download/

I'm not sure how you got actual tabs in your version. I'm using a Galaxy S8.

EDIT: Somehow you are getting stuck with the tablet UI. I'm not sure how that happened for you. Stop doing weird things on your phone.

EDIT 2:

quote:

Firefox will use the tablet UI when the "smallest width" of the display is 480dp or more. The display size settings change this value (inversely).
You can use Android's developer options to specify a custom value, like 479. That's not much larger than the "small" setting.
You can try that.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 17, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
EDIT Disregard.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Does anyone know if it's at all possible to hide context menu entries created by extensions? I've gone through all the native context menu clutter but a bunch of extensions have completely unnecessary context clutter. As far as I can tell the elements for extension context menus cannot be touched by userChrome.css. Ideally I'd want to move the context entries for Open With out of a submenu so it doesn't require as many actions.

Secondly is there a hotkey to open the overflow menu? I have some extensions I very rarely need to open and don't have cluttering up my UI all the time. Before I used the bottom bar which was normally hidden and I could open with Ctrl+/.

Firefox 57 has been far worse than I expected it to be. Fortunately it hasn't been as bad as my worst case fears, but this definitely isn't ready to be called a stable, public release.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 17, 2017

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
My zooming is text only, and images don't zoom like I'm used to. I think it might be something lingering from when I had Vimperator. What do I do to get it back to zooming images along with text?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
View -> Zoom -> Zoom Text Only