Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

D.N. Nation posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Tennessee_Volunteers_football_team

Up and down, mediocre season, but they had a respectable loss to #1 Florida, another respectable loss to #1 Alabama (you can't just say that "if it weren't for Terrence Cody," because Bama kinda let the Vols back in the game themselves), and blasted da fuk out of Georgia and South Carolina in Knoxville. Recruiting was good. I remember thinking that Kiffin was going to be a pain to deal with for the foreseeable future and then d'oh

I had season tickets to Georgia basketball that year. Kiffin departed the week Georgia hosted Tennessee.

It was so much fun to just chant Kiffin's name at them. It didn't matter that this had nothing to do with the game being played, Kiffin screwing them over was just that hilarious.

Then we got to chant "we're up 20" at various points because Tennessee stunk it up that night. And later the guy covered in peanut butter ran out on the court after the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

D.N. Nation posted:

UGA Complaints About The Offensive Coordinator® have now shifted from RUN THE GAWD DANG BALL BOBO to WE SHOULD BE DOING SCREENS CHANEY.

I thought UGA's offense was such an aesthetic abortion last season that I would've been fine if Chaney got the boot after year 1 except for the fact that it would've meant 4 OCs in 4 years in Athens. And really, he was just running what Kirby had tasked him to do; it was Kirby's fault philosophically that we were trying to shove square pegs into round holes.

This year has been better because the OL is better and the skill guys are healthy/better and the QB makes better decisions (sorry Jacob). UGA at least has the horses to ground bad teams into dust, which they simply couldn't do last season cough Nicholls State cough. But they're not quite there yet, as evidenced by EVERYTHING in the Auburn game. I see no reason to move on from Chaney at this point though dammit I miss flangin' the ball around :(

It's (still) an offensive line issue. Fromm is a talented passer, as we saw against Missouri and South Carolina in particular. The offensive line was just shredded against Auburn though.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
E: Wrong Thread :rip:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

HannibalBarca posted:

It's (still) an offensive line issue. Fromm is a talented passer, as we saw against Missouri and South Carolina in particular. The offensive line was just shredded against Auburn though.

I'm not saying you're wrong (and SC should be a decent defense I think?) but especially at that point of the season Missouri's pass defense was swiss cheese. They're probably not actually any better now, just playing teams that suck.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Fromm at least had time to throw the ball though. He didn't have that on Saturday.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

If you want the FAU version of Kiffin you’re also gonna have to sell your soul and agree to take Briles as the OC. Which sadly I’m sure someone will

If you take Kendal's middle man out of the equation, can anybody really say no to Kiffin with an unpaid, anonymous Art Briles playing Cyrano to him?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kansas State issued a statement refuting Bret McMurphy's report that Leavitt was the coach in waiting but that Snyder killed the deal. Bret's standing firm on his report.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
There’s a whole lot of “friend of a friend” chatter going on around Vol message boards regarding Gruden tonight as usual. The majority are saying “friend of friend who is close to XYZ said it’s being announced tomorrow.” Goddamn, I am ready for the meltdown of it not happening. It’s going to be earth shattering.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sir Thats Gross posted:

There’s a whole lot of “friend of a friend” chatter going on around Vol message boards regarding Gruden tonight as usual. The majority are saying “friend of friend who is close to XYZ said it’s being announced tomorrow.” Goddamn, I am ready for the meltdown of it not happening. It’s going to be earth shattering.

Why don't they ever loving learn?

I'm just glad UF fanboys aren't going crazy about Stoops anymore. That poo poo was really really annoying. But Stoops was still more plausible than loving Gruden to UT.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Sir Thats Gross posted:

I wasnt kidding earlier when I said I had a buddy text me about his friend in the Chancellor office saying there was an announcement tonight.

Turns out it was Albert Haynesworth on FB Live stream sitting in his living room dipping and talking about his life and just rehashing rumors that have floated around the past couple days. Which is hilarious.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

albert haynesworth is a pro twitter follow

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Turns out it was Albert Haynesworth on FB Live stream sitting in his living room dipping and talking about his life and just rehashing rumors that have floated around the past couple days. Which is hilarious.

I love this.

LeeMajors posted:

Why don't they ever loving learn?

I'm just glad UF fanboys aren't going crazy about Stoops anymore. That poo poo was really really annoying. But Stoops was still more plausible than loving Gruden to UT.

Next coach we fire we’ll be right back in this same spot. Some people make the same mistake their whole lives, I guess?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Let’s say Gruden gets hired, is at UT a few years, leaves or gets fired.

Who takes his place as the #1 obsessed over guy that will totally be the next head coach guys my mom’s cousin is a janitor at a Pilot and he said

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Let’s say Gruden gets hired, is at UT a few years, leaves or gets fired.

Who takes his place as the #1 obsessed over guy that will totally be the next head coach guys my mom’s cousin is a janitor at a Pilot and he said

Mike Tomlin got brought up as one of these sure thing candidates that would never happen for some job last year didn't he?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

an adult beverage posted:

I don't see why Butch wouldn't be fine at a G5 school. He did decent enough at Cincy and Central Michigan, he would probably be sufficient for say a Ball State or Kent State or other similar G5 school in a midwest hellscape town.

Edit: Looking back at his record, I'm surprised Tennessee hired him, what was the deal with that year's carousel? Seems like he did fine, but not so stellar that I would hand him the keys to a top-20 job.

It drove me insane at the time. I actually watched him in the Big East. He was a caretaker for Brian Kelly's players and you could see them getting worse.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

wasnt chipp to florida a done deal that was also supposed to be announced tonight?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I can't believe chompmann69 led us wrong

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

KKKLIP ART posted:

wasnt chipp to florida a done deal that was also supposed to be announced tonight?

They're waiting until after UAB hands the Gators a crushing defeat in order to buoy our spirits. :tinfoil:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

depends on who you ask.

i've still got a rubbery half-mast thinking about chip w/ fla athletes, but i don't think we bag him.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

General Dog posted:

I can't believe chompmann69 led us wrong

Back in the late 90’s and early 2000’s there was this super annoying caller to local radio (in the Tri-Cities area on Tennessee) who called himself ‘chomp man’. This Gator fan was such a prick that he would have every local redneck calling in a uproar after every call. I thought he was the greatest troll. When I was a sophomore at ETSU a teacher asked everyone to tell something about themselves. Well this kid (well I was 29 at the time, so I guess he was 20) asks if anyone listens to local call-in show, because he is the famous chomp man. He acted like he was the most famous guy from Tennessee since Davey Crockett. What I learn that semester was that chomp man wasn’t a troll. He was truly an annoying prick, and he drove everyone in the class crazy no mater their football fandom (ETSU didn’t have a football team at the time). It was to the point that he almost came to blows with other students, and the teacher had to talk to him several times. That said this was 2001 and guess what happen when in 2001? Tennessee beat them at the Swamp. If my memory serves me correctly chomp man never came back to class after that game, and this was late in the semester (game delayed due to 9/11).

Sorry for non-coaching derail, but you triggered me with the name ‘chomp man’.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Chomp man.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm real surprised at how excited you guys seem about Chip.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

His offenses typically score, which seems like a good selling point to Florida fans right now.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Ehud posted:

Would be a pretty safe hire IMO, sort of like Harbaugh to Michigan.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

An uh unsettling amount of serious talk that, in the event of a loss to Bama, Gus may voluntarily self-demote to the relatively low-pressure Arkansas job. Had kinda vaguely been brought up as a hypothetical on the 24/7 Auburn site's podcast earlier in the season as like an alternative to him getting straight-up fired but they always phrased it as just speculation, not backed by any actual reporting. Now that he beat Georgia and presumably silenced any questions about his security, SBNation is running with it as a serious possibility.

My *guess* is that this doesn't come to pass -- clobbering Georgia, the kind of meaningful win we've been waiting for since the Kick Six, earned him a degree of goodwill far beyond last season's six-win streak that saved his job but didn't really make anyone happy. He genuinely has some cushion now (and I'm still at this point ~50% he's gonna beat Bama for the SECW title which would probably earn a raise/extension). It's still loving weird to be having this conversation, and hard to gauge given the larger uncertainty surrounding the athetlic department with Jay Jacobs on the way out.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dont know Gus’s history, is he an Arky guy? Why would he go there? Auburn is a better job.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

I dont know Gus’s history, is he an Arky guy? Why would he go there? Auburn is a better job.
From Arkansas, made his name in Arkansas high school ball, wife's from there, OC'd there for that weirdly successful but ill-fated 2006 season. Auburn is obviously a tier above but you can tell a story that sends him back there.

It's also not like he's univerally loved there -- that 2006 season was an insane cauldron of drama and plenty of Arkansas people did not side with him.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/allbrightnfl/status/931385896729014272

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I didn't realize ETSU didn't have a football team back then. Who the hell was playing on Gentry Field?

Anyway I didn't want Gruden but now I do, except that I'm also sick of our dumbass fans thinking we'll actually get Gruden. At this point we deserve Kiffin, but I still think it's funny that his son is named Knox, so I'd prefer he remain the enemy forever.

Just pay some good coordinator or mid-major coach 5 or 6 million and be done with it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Anyway I didn't want Gruden but now I do

Outside of minor embarrassment because the fan base are idiots I don't see a down side to not getting Gruden. I still think he would be awful as a college head coach.

If he wanted to recruit he would kick rear end at that though. But, you know, you guys are coming off of that exact same coach right now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

From Arkansas, made his name in Arkansas high school ball, wife's from there, OC'd there for that weirdly successful but ill-fated 2006 season. Auburn is obviously a tier above but you can tell a story that sends him back there.

It's also not like he's univerally loved there -- that 2006 season was an insane cauldron of drama and plenty of Arkansas people did not side with him.

His OC stint was a mess though, Nutt hated him and they weren’t good until they junked the offense he was trying to build around Mustain and just let McFadden do literally everything.

Ehud posted:

He was a really really really good college coach.

DJExile posted:

Kansas State issued a statement refuting Bret McMurphy's report that Leavitt was the coach in waiting but that Snyder killed the deal. Bret's standing firm on his report.

I mean duh. They’re not gonna admit to feuding with the head coach and most important guy in the history of the program. McMurphy’s the best college football reporter for coaching stuff, and the thing about Snyder wanting his son to take over and no one at KState wanting to go along with it has been widely reported for awhile now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

nate fisher posted:

Sorry for non-coaching derail, but you triggered me with the name ‘chomp man’.

It's okay, I'm glad he exists

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Chip Kelly is going to wreck no matter where he goes next. And Gruden would be a mistake, I remember our grumors and saban rumors as well after mack got fired. I know the fans seem like idiots and bonkers but it's so fun being inside the bubble of anticipation. Reading all the new rumors and "inside info" was awesome, a great drama unfolding slowly on flight tracker.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I didn't realize ETSU didn't have a football team back then. Who the hell was playing on Gentry Field?

Sorry I should have been clearer (too many rum and cokes). ETSU canceled the football program (financial reasons) while I was in school there. It might of still been going in 2001 (I can’t remember), but it happen sometime around my sophomore or junior year. They did bring it back a couple of years ago. Of course they no longer play at the Mini Dome (who in the hell con them into that?).

This will not stop the rumors (they are calling it a smokescreen).

Edit: You know just reading the coaching rumors and denials (everything is fake news unless it is pro Gruden) on Vol Nation tells you how Trump got elected.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 17, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

buddhanc posted:

And Gruden would be a mistake, I remember our grumors and saban rumors as well after mack got fired.

Was it you guys that Tomlin was briefly rumored to go to?

I remember this Mike Tomlin thing that made no sense and I can't remember where he was supposed to go.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

so when Paul Johnson retires does GaTech start immediately looking at Brian Bohannon or

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Alaois posted:

so when Paul Johnson retires does GaTech start immediately looking at Brian Bohannon or

Wrong Brian. You guys get Schottenhimer trying to run option.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

Wrong Brian. You guys get Schottenhimer trying to run option.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

The denial phase is going to begin soon, then someone will track a plane from Knoxville to Tampa and it’ll ramp up the rumors again.

Also on ETSU, a cousin of mine played football for them in the early 90s. I used to have an old ETSU Bucs shirt from when he played there. When did they start playing ball again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

MourningView posted:

He was a really really really good college coach.

yeah today I woke up and now I think it's a good idea

• Locked thread