Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So “Death of the author” is a complete bullshit philosophy, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
No, it's more important now than ever. It's also a cute pun.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mordiceius posted:

Why would you think that?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mordiceius posted:

Of course not. It justified that man and thousands like him claiming their random babbling was worth a paycheck. What higher calling could there be?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mordiceius posted:

Nah

Mark Millar probably won't say that Kick-rear end as a franchise (and also Superior and Nemesis but mostly Kick-rear end) is about him working through his issues with comic book fans and the industry and what people expect from him but gently caress you that's absolutely what's going on

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mordiceius posted:

However did you come to that conclusion?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

However did you come to that conclusion?

The first step, presumably, is to not read "The Death of the Author" by Roland Barthes.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Mordiceius posted:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mulva posted:

Of course not. It justified that man and thousands like him claiming their random babbling was worth a paycheck. What higher calling could there be?
Yeah, it's not like people who are obsessed with filmmakers' imagined secret motivations produce hours and hours of blathering claptrap.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
In what it can only be the start of an endless amount of rumors, now is being said that Reeves is eyeing Jake Gyllenhaal to replace Affleck, with the idea of The Batman being moved to the Elseworld line of films or making it a prequel to BvS

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
In a couple months they'll announce their bringing Bale back and go through with the Affleck as Deathstroke rumors.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

If they decide to replace Affleck already, they should just end the current Justice League universe with WW2, and start over.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Crows Turn Off posted:

If they decide to replace Affleck already, they should just end the current Justice League universe with WW2, and start over.

This but without starting over because none of the people at DC who are involved in the films are good

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

This but without starting over because none of the people at DC who are involved in the films are good

Especially after Snyder left.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Especially after Snyder left.

I said at DC, unless you mean Scott which lmbo if he was involved they didn't pay any attention to him in favor of a long slow jack of DKR

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mordiceius posted:

The rule is, you're not allowed to talk smack about post-structuralism unless you're going to put up a sterling defence of structuralism.

I demand you ascertain the science of Snyder so that we may project forwards a 'Justice League' from first principles, and find the existing film lacking in its wake.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
A good justice league film exists entirely on it's own and doesn't spend half the movie introducing the team it just drops you into the time they all got possessed by Starro and Tommy Monaghan had to shoot astronauts

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe they'll give Benefit
Bendis some position of power in the film division

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Please no he's not good at the kind of story they want to do

Like, I wouldn't mind him writing Batman because it would basically be like Miller getting DKR and Year One on the strength of his Daredevil, but once he gets above the street level and the personal drama he falls apart

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
A good JL film would also at least pay lip service to Green Lantern.

DC really hosed this thing up and rushed it. They didn't even have to follow Marvel's world building template but having their two most famous properties face off then killing one and resurrecting him over the course of two just films and wantonly diving into an ensemble and then announcing stand alone unconnected films just seems chaotic and aimless.

Like, you could start with the entire team and then work backwards but the way the universe comes off feels like they're just randomly throwing darts and hoping for breakout moment. It has no cohesion, tonal consistency or any long term vision whatsoever. It shows in the product too. It's no accident that WW is their best film, I'd argue largely for this reason.

Two out of their first four movies were ensembles and a third was a fight to the death showdown that shoehorned WW and Flash in. None of it's earned and one could argue not really shown.

It's more to with pacing than anything really. DC seems to want to adapt all their best stories all at once and the product suffers for it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

BiggerBoat posted:

DC seems to want to adapt all their best stories all at once and the product suffers for it.

It's Snyder, I think. He loves all these stories and wants to direct as many of them as possible. That's why his Superman movie is Superman 1 + Superman 2 put together.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He's a better fit for the CW shows I think.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BiggerBoat posted:

A good JL film would also at least pay lip service to Green Lantern.

Er, the film does exactly that.

Two Lanterns are part of the army that repelled Stepenwolf's first invasion

Anyways, the WSJ is reporting that Comcast has also approached Fox, interested on buying similar assets to those discussed by Disney.

https://www.newsarama.com/37409-fox-has-announcer-suitor-in-acquisition-buyout-report.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/comcast-approached-21st-century-fox-over-acquisition-interest-1510869129

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

In what it can only be the start of an endless amount of rumors, now is being said that Reeves is eyeing Jake Gyllenhaal to replace Affleck, with the idea of The Batman being moved to the Elseworld line of films or making it a prequel to BvS

gyllenhall would be a terrible replacement for Affleck's Batman, but probably a good replacement for Bale's Batman.

Gyllenhaal would also be much better served as a Bat-villain of some sort though. Like, that dude as Riddler? Dope as hell.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

DC Murderverse posted:

Gyllenhaal would also be much better served as a Bat-villain of some sort though. Like, that dude as Riddler? Dope as hell.
After Nightcrawler, he can pick any Bat-villain he wants.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

It's Snyder, I think. He loves all these stories and wants to direct as many of them as possible. That's why his Superman movie is Superman 1 + Superman 2 put together.

And BvS was The Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman. I rather liked MoS

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Er, the film does exactly that.

Two Lanterns are part of the army that repelled Stepenwolf's first invasion

Anyways, the WSJ is reporting that Comcast has also approached Fox, interested on buying similar assets to those discussed by Disney.

https://www.newsarama.com/37409-fox-has-announcer-suitor-in-acquisition-buyout-report.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/comcast-approached-21st-century-fox-over-acquisition-interest-1510869129

OK sorry then. Haven't seen it and heard zero about GL.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Justice League looks to not be good, but at least I didn't have to pay for my ticket.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Like it's okay to trust any loving critics. Judge it for yourself.

E: If you don't like it based on the trailers though - thats fine.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In a world where the abysmally-reviewed The Orville is regarded as being the best Star Trek series since DS9, I wonder if people still read reviews anymore.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its also okay if you completely lost interest when you saw that Joss Whedon was attached to it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

Like it's okay to trust any loving critics. Judge it for yourself.

E: If you don't like it based on the trailers though - thats fine.

It's fine to trust critics when it comes to going to a theater. Which includes paying for the gas, and the ticket. Food/drink/candy is optional, but still. You're looking at a 20-30$ night just to see something you may not like for 2 hours. Plus lovely audience members around you talking and being entitled pieces of poo poo.

If seeing films isn't your passion, that could seem like a real chore to do.

And hey, you can always catch it later at your house on Redbox, and maybe you'll enjoy it! Who knows!

Serf
May 5, 2011

i lost interest about halfway into bvs

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

It's fine to trust critics when it comes to going to a theater. Which includes paying for the gas, and the ticket. Food/drink/candy is optional, but still. You're looking at a 20-30$ night just to see something you may not like for 2 hours. Plus lovely audience members around you talking and being entitled pieces of poo poo.

The primary purpose of criticism is apparently to help you get your money's worth by avoiding bad cinema visits. You need to listen to critics so that you won't be annoyed by other audience members.

That seems rather paranoid.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

I can't really fault him for this, I mean if I had talent and wanted to direct a Superman movie it would just be a really condensed version of Superman TAS, then in the Batman vs Supes meet up movie I would directly adapt World's Finest Parts 1 & 2 and then for Justice League I would just adapt the pilot of Justice League.

CelticPredator posted:

If seeing films isn't your passion, that could seem like a real chore to do.

And hey, you can always catch it later at your house on Redbox, and maybe you'll enjoy it! Who knows!
This is why I trying watching all my movies Saturday morning or at a Midnight screening when a big release is debuting (ie how I watched Logan Lucky with my brother by ourselves while everyone was watching it), only time I don't really care is for Marvel movies or if it is something special like going to a 60 year old 4 screen theater to see Bladerunner 2049.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kinda funny James Franco is being tapped for Multiple Man. There was a controversy where Madrox was apparently dating an underaged character, except the character was actually an adult when they were dating but everyone thought she's a child because she was when first introduced but Madrox's comic had time move forward faster than the other Marvel comics at the time. James Franco, on the hand, was accused of dating a high school girl but it turned out to be one of his weird ways of promoting his movie or something.

Also I heard Jason Momoa is going to be The Crow.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My thoughts on Death of the Author:

https://twitter.com/danaschwartzzz/status/931325744667680768

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I mean there's pretty much nothing they could do about that do to contracts.

Well, I supposed they could have just kept the original version of the film instead of pointlessly changing it. Like, I guess audiences need a scene of Superman talking to teens so you know he's cool?

Serf
May 5, 2011

does henry cavill have some sort of weird disease which makes it impossible for him to grow more than one mustache in his life

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They could have just done bearded Superman which we all would have loved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Serf posted:

does henry cavill have some sort of weird disease which makes it impossible for him to grow more than one mustache in his life

He had to film Mission Impossible in the same week

• Locked thread