Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

joepinetree posted:

Duckworth on PSA today is pure suck zone
Short version is "Democrats don't need an alternative tax plan because my constituents want bipartisan practical solutions, and I am willing to cut corporate taxes even further if it is in a way that helps hardworking Americans on main street"

ELECT MORE WOMEN CENTRISTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

joepinetree posted:

"Democrats don't need an alternative tax plan because my constituents want bipartisan practical solutions, and I am willing to cut corporate taxes even further if it is in a way that helps hardworking Americans on main street"

"if it is in a way that helps"

https://twitter.com/nataliewsj/stat...blican-tax-cuts

democrats are controlled opposition, guillotine & gulag

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

joepinetree posted:

Short version is "Democrats don't need an alternative tax plan because my constituents want bipartisan practical solutions, and I am willing to cut corporate taxes even further if it is in a way that helps hardworking Americans on main street"

duckworth is poo poo and it's hilarious how popular she is for no reason beyond checkboxes

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mastershakeman posted:

duckworth is poo poo and it's hilarious how popular she is for no reason beyond checkboxes

identity politics is a disease.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

So many stereotypes here, Jesus.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ALL WOMEN EVERYWHERE, AT ONCE: I agree with the tweeter and I am very smart.
ALL MEN EVERYWHERE: I disagree with the tweeter and I am a raving lunatic!!!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

ALL WOMEN EVERYWHERE, AT ONCE: I agree with the tweeter and I am very smart.
ALL MEN EVERYWHERE: I disagree with the tweeter and I am a raving lunatic!!!

can’t wait for an extremely bad and self proclaimed “woke” cspamer to quote this and agree unironically.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

mastershakeman posted:

for no reason beyond checkboxes

In fairness to her, it was super loving cool when she was keeping folks posted on some locked down political bullshit thing by smuggling a cellphone in via her prosthetic leg (republicans were taking everyone's communications devices to try and maintain secrecy, as I remember it). Seems like drat near anything else connected to her is an endless stream of disappointment.

docbeard posted:

Would Senator Keith Ellison change your mind sir and/or madam

Absolutely, but just watch the DNC machine try to shoehorn in anyone to the right of Franken to stick it to those Bernie Bros.
Our governor seems to be a neolib with his tongue deep inside the Police Union's sigmoid colon (LEAs want reefer to stay illegal, so illegal it shall remain, never loving mind we almost had full recreational legalisation over a decade ago, but for Tim Pawlenty, if I recall correctly), so I absolutely don't trust him to back someone who isn't even further to the right.

A local (to the Twin Cities) news affiliate had a clip of Franken's victim saying she doesn't feel he needs to step down, just that she really wishes he'd apologised when last they met face-to-face rather than waiting until after she came forward with it. She seemed to be extremely charitable and forgiving about this whole incident, especially considering how he aggressively and persistently he attempted to tongue-gently caress her for "comedy."

"Goddamn it, Franken, you loving retarded dumbshit moron!"- My family and I, collectively, as the story aired.

I don't know that I'm comfortable with him stepping down in light of our current political environment and the comparatively (comparison is to every other rape/molestation scandal breaking this year) forgivable nature of his extremely juvenile and idiotic behavior, but Jesus loving Christ he needs to get his poo poo together. Now watch a whole lot of other harassed/skeeved-out broads come forward with infinitely worse charges. :( I support him stepping down to free up a slot for someone more progressive, but we all know that absolutely will not happen (though, again, ready and willing to eat my words, I desperately want to be wrong about this).

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

pete succ edge edge

https://twitter.com/petebuttigieg/status/931247312722161664

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the deficit is extremely important something something national credit card

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Not my deficit! :qq:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dying for trump's budget deficit!

Serf
May 5, 2011

duckworth is excommunicated from the cool cripples club

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

joepinetree posted:

duckworth is absolute shite and I hate when bad dem voters like totally-not-slashie say crap like "can't wait to see what those bernie bros will do to valiant tammy if she runs for pres :smug: "

she was personally recruited by rahm emanuel to run for congress after non-lovely-dem & antiwar candidate christine cegelis entered the dem primary, then rahm (who was then head of the DCCC) gave tammy all the money & publicity to beat christine.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

the deficit is extremely important something something national credit card

remember when obama said the federal budget is just like a family trying to figure out how to pay its bills?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

"Families across this country understand what it takes to manage a budget," President Obama declared in a February [2011] radio broadcast. "Well, it's time Washington acted as responsibly as our families do."

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Willa Rogers posted:

"Families across this country understand what it takes to manage a budget," President Obama declared in a February [2011] radio broadcast. "Well, it's time Washington acted as responsibly as our families do."

But we already take out crippling, impossible-to-repay debt on both the micro and macro levels??

Edit: :thejoke:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

so the answer is to ignore it???

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

remember when obama said the federal budget is just like a family trying to figure out how to pay its bills?

well as a sovereign citizen my family issues its own scrip so yes our debt is exactly like government debt

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

papa horny michael posted:

Completely agree with you both. There was a really good article which I can't remember about the necessity for leftists to keep charity and forgiveness in their dealings.

centrists are literally murdering thousands of people with their austerity and garbage policies. im sick of this high ground poo poo, win by whatever means necessary

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/Trillburne/status/931369640005193728

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

People really like "their mental idea of who Duckworth is." It was the same case with people who liked Clinton. They have this mental image of the person in question as this cool progressive icon fighting for justice, etc etc (and the most effective politicians are the ones who are best capable of promoting this sort of fantasy, like Obama).

To be fair, this isn't something limited to liberals; for example the way some leftists talk about Tulsi Gabbard.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

i see clintonworld is taking senator gillibrand stating the obvious fact that bill clinton is a serial sexual abuser well

https://twitter.com/PhilippeReines/status/931356098422018049

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

"consensual" blowjob huh

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've noticed that when I try to bring up stuff like Bill Clinton's actions (or anything that involves Democratic politicians doing bad things, like the recently revealed Al Franken thing), my baby boomer aged dad doesn't exactly disagree, but his eyes just sort of glaze over and it's obvious that it just isn't the sort of thing he likes discussing - talking about the evil Republicans is his "comfort zone," and I think the same is the case for many liberals who gets off-put by the left criticizing Democrats. There's a particular type of evil that pushes his rage button, and it takes the former of older white men that remind him of the fundamentalist Christians he grew up with. Anything else he'll just sort of grudging acknowledge, before immediately taking the conversation back to Republicans.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/hale_razor/status/931189858462076928

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

I've noticed that when I try to bring up stuff like Bill Clinton's actions (or anything that involves Democratic politicians doing bad things, like the recently revealed Al Franken thing), my baby boomer aged dad doesn't exactly disagree, but his eyes just sort of glaze over and it's obvious that it just isn't the sort of thing he likes discussing - talking about the evil Republicans is his "comfort zone," and I think the same is the case for many liberals who gets off-put by the left criticizing Democrats. There's a particular type of evil that pushes his rage button, and it takes the former of older white men that remind him of the fundamentalist Christians he grew up with. Anything else he'll just sort of grudging acknowledge, before immediately taking the conversation back to Republicans.

yeah, I remember talking with my liberal boomer aunt like 10 years ago, and I said Bill Clinton should be in jail for what he did with Monica, and she was like "what about Bush" and I'm like "he should be tried and executed for war crimes"

anyway, twitter thread on point: https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/931340795482816513

quote:

The reason there's a concern about disproportionate responses in the last month of sexual misconduct revelations is that we've utterly abandoned the rule of law in America. A fair number of the cases reported in the media are crimes, which should be punishable by prison terms. None of that has happened. Bill Cosby, 40 years of rape, not in jail. Kevin Spacey, decades of assault, not in jail. Harvey Weinstein, decades of rape, maybe a case will emerge, maybe not.

So the only response available in the absence of law enforcement is a kind of driving from the public square. We've left the profession of adjudicating crimes to the crowd. This is a direct consequence of the failure of accountability for a connected class of elites who commit wrongdoing over decades. Nobody has any recourse. And so crimes of varying degrees get leveled off into the same response, resign, go away, away. We don't have a justice system anymore, and this is the result.

So yes, when I bang on about the failure of accountability, I may be talking about one type of fraud. But there's a toxicity to that failure, a rot at the heart of our society. What we should be deeply enraged about is that no mechanism exists to punish misconduct swiftly and dispassionately for an entire slice of the population. That's how you lose a country.

I am less troubled by the consequences of rage at a broken system protecting predators of various degrees, than the consequences *of that broken system*, which goes well beyond sexual misconduct. We are wildly disproportionately punitive toward one class of society & not another in dozens of contexts. How do you expect people to react to that when the culture turns?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

the dailykos wreck list is filled w/diaries & brokebrain posts about how the al franken story is a nothingburger engineered by roger stone & putin.

I found a rare alliance among a few of the hillbots there who were all "are you crazy? he did something lovely and just bc it doesn't rise to the level of moore or weinstein it still was super-lovely."

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
i can't believe putin made him pose for that picture

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

sample dk sentiment:

Putin is playing this country like a fiddle. He has a bunch of sociology/psychology wonks busy in a St. Petersburg skunkworks who have been steadily learning how to finely manipulate trusted media channels with weaponized data. And we can barely hear the tune above the din of our own outrage.

The patterns are starting to make sense to me now when you see them in the light of manipulation. Its hard to admit that you’ve been manipulated. But that only makes the pattern self reinforcing. I fell for the Donna Brazile scheme. Hard enough to write a diary similar to this one. At least in tone. This Al Franken episode smacks of the same hand.

it's like a case of mass schizophrenia among liberals

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaFRgOBm6gw

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

sample dk sentiment:

Putin is playing this country like a fiddle. He has a bunch of sociology/psychology wonks busy in a St. Petersburg skunkworks who have been steadily learning how to finely manipulate trusted media channels with weaponized data. And we can barely hear the tune above the din of our own outrage.

The patterns are starting to make sense to me now when you see them in the light of manipulation. Its hard to admit that you’ve been manipulated. But that only makes the pattern self reinforcing. I fell for the Donna Brazile scheme. Hard enough to write a diary similar to this one. At least in tone. This Al Franken episode smacks of the same hand.

"putin personally photoshopped al franken groping a sleeping woman" - the #resistance

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What evidence is there that Bill Clinton is a rapist?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

punk rebel ecks posted:

What evidence is there that Bill Clinton is a rapist?

the women who accused him of such

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

sample dk sentiment:

Its at the level of Soros conspiracy theories

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jazerus posted:

"putin personally photoshopped al franken groping a sleeping woman" - the #resistance

franken has actually been a deep cover russian agent since 1996

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I haven't seen this level of liberal bullshit since the trig palin birther conspiracies.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
re: franken

don't have have any heroes

only gyros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Its partially a defense mechanism i think. The franken poo poo (and takai) removes the most of the moral high ground of dems, around sexual misconduct, and will absolutely be used to equivocate. So better to deny reality, for the sake of sanity

I don't think sanity really has much hope though

Trump 2020 here we come

• Locked thread