Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I hope no one's posted this already because I haven't checked all of them but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFSen7DRQWU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Also acceptable.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Rules of Nature is extremely overrated.

Yeah I generally prefer the final boss, Mistral, or Bladewolf songs, particularly the one with the guitar intro.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Palpek posted:

Okami owned. I wonder if I will still like it after all these years though.

I played it again a couple years ago when it was free for PS+ and it was just as good as I remember. My wife played the original when she was a kid and still remembers it very well and is excited to play it again. I think it's probably a true modern classic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Internet Kraken posted:

Rules of Nature is extremely overrated.

Overrated is a nothing criticism

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm talking to my friends as they play Battlefront 2 and they say they're gaining credits p fast

like ... my dude already bought Vader

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dude if you want it just buy it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You can't buy a game against the goonsensus!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Battlefront 2 doesn't look that good anyway, and I say that as someone who liked the first (third) one.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The glitches in the campaign are looking epic as hell

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
It looks like EA might be suspending real money purchases for Battlefront 2.

I'm guessing they take out P2W crates and introduce cosmetic crates in a few months.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Even if you really want Battlefront 2, I'd hold off on buying it unless you have tons of cash to spare. Not because you should engage in the P2W aspect (please don't) but rather because the future of the game is rather murky at the moment. I'd wait a bit to see how things change before dropping money on it cause who knows where that trainwreck is headed.

Sunning posted:

I'm guessing they take out P2W crates and introduce cosmetic crates in a few months.

What on earth could have forced them to do that? No way they would do it as a gesture of good will.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Internet Kraken posted:

What on earth could have forced them to do that?

Disney probably doesn't want their new blockbuster tainted with the news that it's encouraging kids to gamble with their parents' credit cards.

Also, the movie based on Rampage looks legit great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coOKvrsmQiI

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm talking to my friends as they play Battlefront 2 and they say they're gaining credits p fast

like ... my dude already bought Vader

What if, get this, things like Vader didn't have to be bought or unlocked at all?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

Disney probably doesn't want their new blockbuster tainted with the news that it's encouraging kids to gamble with their parents' credit cards.

Also, the movie based on Rampage looks legit great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coOKvrsmQiI

I think you linked the wrong video because that looks bad

chumbler posted:

What if, get this, things like Vader didn't have to be bought or unlocked at all?

:aaaaa:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

chumbler posted:

You're acting like this is a full-price game people pay 60 bucks for and not a F2P one.

Oh wait, people paid 60 bucks for a game where they can't even access all the content? :lol:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sunning posted:

haha

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chumbler posted:

Not having a progression system at all would be pretty boring

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

People complained about the lack of a fulfilling progression system in Battlefront 1, saying they wished it were more like CoD, it's some monkey's paw poo poo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CJacobs posted:

Yea I remember being bored out of my mind with older multiplayer games that didn't have a progression system. :rolleyes:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

I don't get this. Why do people feel like they need some gameplay reward to chase in multiplayer? What happened to winning and improving as a player being enough?

I'm fine with cosmetic prizes since those can be fun to get but gameplay options being locked behind levels always pisses me off. I don't want my options being gated behind an arbitrary amount of play time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sunning posted:

Sw cosmetics are probably hard because of the approval process with disney like they dont want chewy in a tutu

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

Sw cosmetics are probably hard because of the approval process with disney like they dont want chewy in a tutu

EA said in their AMA they could have done cosmetics but didn't. I guess selling power upgrades is more profitable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Somehow I doubt Disney is offended by the idea of you putting a top hat on Darth Vader given its fine for him to dab in front of a live audience with storm trooper backup dancers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea I remember being bored out of my mind with older multiplayer games that didn't have a progression system. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that was before multiplayer games started putting in progression systems and it turned out they were much better

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get this. Why do people feel like they need some gameplay reward to chase in multiplayer? What happened to winning and improving as a player being enough?

I'm fine with cosmetic prizes since those can be fun to get but gameplay options being locked behind levels always pisses me off. I don't want my options being gated behind an arbitrary amount of play time.

There is nothing mysterious or hard to understand about the enjoyment that comes from having something to work towards and then reaching it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Internet Kraken posted:

Somehow I doubt Disney is offended by the idea of you putting a top hat on Darth Vader given its fine for him to dab in front of a live audience with storm trooper backup dancers.

Pink Vader

gimme the hot pink Vader

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think you linked the wrong video because that looks bad

i think you spelled "rad" wrong t:mad:t

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, that was before multiplayer games started putting in progression systems and it turned out they were much better
what if I told you that actually, it made games way worse

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

People like unlocking stuff that's why everything is an RPG now

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

There is nothing mysterious or hard to understand about the enjoyment that comes from having something to work towards and then reaching it

So why isn't "improving your skill" or, god forbid, "having fun" a good enough reason to keep playing? What do you do when a game runs out of stuff for you to unlock that you actually care about? Quit?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

homeless snail posted:

what if I told you that actually, it made games way worse

You'd be wrong. Having no progression encourages people to stick with only the best weapons, characters etc and encourages a metagame where you are at an objective disadvantage if you don't use what everyone else is using. Giving players access to an expanding arsenal of stuff means that everyone starts on the same foot and then from there they can pick and choose what they want as they reach that milestone which overall leads to a much higher variation in equipped items. If the whole game banks on the progression system then it's just a bad game that is pretending to have depth.

Internet Kraken posted:

So why isn't "improving your skill" or, god forbid, "having fun" a good enough reason to keep playing? What do you do when a game runs out of stuff for you to unlock that you actually care about? Quit?

Those are good enough justification to keep playing but there is no reason for them to be the only justification.

edit: And, yes, if you're playing the game just to unlock the stuff then obviously you'll quit when you have unlocked the last thing. But I don't know who this unlock-bot strawman you've created is, as it turns out humans are multi-faceted creatures that don't focus only on one thing

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 17, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

Maybe if skill or fun was represented with a numerical value that increased over time.

CJacobs posted:

You'd be wrong. Having no progression encourages people to stick with only the best weapons, characters etc and encourages a metagame where you are at an objective disadvantage if you don't use what everyone else is using. Giving players access to an expanding arsenal of stuff means that everyone starts on the same foot and then from there they can pick and choose what they want as they reach that milestone which overall leads to a much higher variation in equipped items. If the whole game banks on the progression system then it's just a bad game that is pretending to have depth.

This would be great if everyone started at the same time and no one ever fell behind or started later.

also you can balance weapons better. crazy I know

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah usually

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's payday and The Evil Within 2 is down to £30 already so *throws another game on the backlog pile*

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Skulltag is better than any modern multiplayer

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This would be great if everyone started at the same time and no one ever fell behind or started later.

also you can balance weapons better. crazy I know

In a properly designed system, players who are just starting will not be at a disadvantage. See CS GO, which has several uniquely unlockable weapons from cases or sometimes achievements or coins or whatever they do when a new one comes out. The new weapons are just as balanced as the ones every player starts with.

edit: I don't know where this idea came from that a progression system has to be "you get more powerful" but it's one of the worse ways to do it and is hardly ever actually done that way because game designers aren't idiots

edit: vvv haha I cut you off

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 17, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

So you think players that played the game longer having access to more options or just objectively better stats is somehow better for balance than everyone actually starting on equal footing?

Gonna be blunt; that's pretty stupid.

quote:

Those are good enough justification to keep playing but there is no reason for them to be the only justification.

Actually there is a good reason; balance. Progression systems can completely gently caress up the balance of a game. In a fantasy scenario where the system is handled perfectly it might not, but lets be realistic and admit that doesn't happen.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, games like Payday and to a lesser extent Payday 2 (now that it has boxes), Killing Floor and the sequel, CS GO, all those games where you unlock more powerful weapons that also have downsides as you progress? All those are just imaginary and don't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

They would be better with them all unlocked from the start without wasting players' time.

• Locked thread