Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

priznat posted:

gently caress where am I gonna get the case for my new build now god dammit

Reuse the one you have. If it's good now it'll be fine with newer components most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Volguus posted:

Reuse the one you have. If it's good now it'll be fine with newer components most likely.

I got a Lian Li v2000B in 2005 and haven't had any pressing need to replace it since.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

I got a Lian Li v2000B in 2005 and haven't had any pressing need to replace it since.

Something that old without front panel USB 3 (not even 3.1 or type C) would be a pain IMO.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Fair enough. It's huge, it doesn't sit on the desk, I just have a little USB 3 hub to connect flash drives, etc.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wanted a specific new one though :( and to keep using my old pc as a nas/plex server.

Chargeback initiated with CC company, what a hassle. They want me to send photos of the store closures so if anyone has seen em post em here! Coquitlam store specifically.

Unsurprisingly I got no answer when calling ncix.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

teethgrinder posted:

I haven't touched NCIX since CC became a thing in Ontario.

:same:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Apparently the Coquitlam store is open until noon tomorrow just for web pickups so I will try my luck to get my poo poo.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

teethgrinder posted:

Canada Computers is opening in Burnaby soon...

I haven't touched NCIX since CC became a thing in Ontario.

Wasn't CC already a "thing" before NCIX ever was?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wasn't CC already a "thing" before NCIX ever was?

Their website sure looks like it is from back in the 90s..

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

They started modestly in 2003. NCIX was huge long before Canada Computers started it's major expansion. Not sure how competitive their pricing was earlier either. I used to use NCIX for online purchases, pccanada for Toronto retail and OEM Express for Ottawa retail.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

CC had retail stores in Ontario for about a decade before NCIX, but I've been buying from NCIX online since the early 2000s

teethgrinder posted:

They started modestly in 2003. NCIX was huge long before Canada Computers started it's major expansion. Not sure how competitive their pricing was earlier either. I used to use NCIX for online purchases, pccanada for Toronto retail and OEM Express for Ottawa retail.

NCIX had amazing online price matching policies back in the day.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
CC was never competitive price-wise but you went there because they had the same selection and you weren't a cave-dweller afraid of human contact and instant gratification.

I only went to NCIX if what I wanted amounted to free shipping.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I wish Filtech had been the one to expand Canada wide and inevitably collapse. Imagine being able to export that aged display case, dust motes in the air and creaky floor true Spadina experience to all points on the map.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Now I feel all wistful. I used to get all my computer poo poo from NCIX.

Then I stopped building a system every two years. Not entirely sure if it was caused by me having kids or game requirements increasing less than they used to. Maybe a mix.

odiv fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 16, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Diminishing returns certainly has a lot to do with it. A computer from 2001 wouldn't be relevant in 2009, a computer from 2009 can still be relevant in 2017.

My laptop is already 8 years old and will easily see 10 years of regular use. There's no way you could say that about a laptop from 1999 or 2001 in 2009.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Zigmidge posted:

CC was never competitive price-wise but you went there because they had the same selection and you weren't a cave-dweller afraid of human contact and instant gratification.

I only went to NCIX if what I wanted amounted to free shipping.

CC was the best brick and mortar, always had the cheapest of the College St. stores. Idk about online.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

They were for sure. I remember being so delighted to learn that I didn't need to go all the way to Pacific mall to visit them anymore. Of course, tax-free cash sales stopped that same day :(

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I always compared prices and for whatever I needed CC brick & mortar was beating NCIX regularly.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, I remember CC always being very competitive with prices. When I lived in Toronto they were my go to place, and I only switched to NCIX after I moved back to the west coast.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just liked ncix because I could pick up and save on shipping.

Looks like Canada Computers is moving into ncix’s old location in Burnaby, 5068B Kingsway.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I wonder if that's some sort of power move, cause really, it's kind of a lovely location. Bad access, bad parking, cramped inside.

It's definitely a high traffic area, but also a pain the rear end to get to when there's any amount of traffic.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wonder if that's some sort of power move, cause really, it's kind of a lovely location. Bad access, bad parking, cramped inside.

It's definitely a high traffic area, but also a pain the rear end to get to when there's any amount of traffic.

You've evidently never been to Pacific Mall

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Zigmidge posted:

You've evidently never been to Pacific Mall

I have.

But everything's a pain the rear end around Toronto.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I think Memory Express is opening a store kitticorner to the ncix Broadway location which was probably the nicest I had been to.

Coquitlam was ok but we’re gonna get the shaft :(

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MemoryExpress seems to have opened a store in Langley since I've been gone.

By the time they open one in Victoria I'm sure I'll have moved somewhere else.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

shadow puppet of a posted:

I wish Filtech had been the one to expand Canada wide and inevitably collapse. Imagine being able to export that aged display case, dust motes in the air and creaky floor true Spadina experience to all points on the map.

This but OEMExpress. The joy of just a counter with a single terminal that displayed inventory, and man behind it who would begrudgingly go into the vast Indiana Jones warehouse adjacent to find the super cheap part you wanted.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, I remember CC always being very competitive with prices. When I lived in Toronto they were my go to place, and I only switched to NCIX after I moved back to the west coast.

They had/have the best prices. The service was absolutely atrocious though. Thankfully its gotten significantly better over the last couple of years.

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 17, 2017

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
CanadaComputers is great unless anything goes wrong then its usually a hassle. I've had maybe 1 painless return there and a bunch of attempts to take off a restocking fee, one outright return denial of a motherboard that was clearly used but sold as new and other poo poo like that over the years. I always put purchases there on credit card now in case there is an issue, I had to do a chargeback on them awhile ago.

They're the only place around here I can walk into a store and get some parts though so that goes a long way. Newegg has gotten progressively shittier over the years and Amazon is OK but you still need to wait.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The Canada Computers that was at Richmond and Oxford here in town had the biggest rear end in a top hat on till. He was so bad, I'd go to the other shithole shops in the area or shop online if I could at all help it.

The new place they consolidated the two smaller shops into on Wellington is much nicer, and the staff is at least borderline professional, but I only make the hour-long round trip if I know they have what I want in stock. That's not always easy, given how lovely their website is.

I've mainly stuck with Newegg since they started their .ca branch, but filtering out the affiliates and lovely Chinese suppliers is getting increasingly annoying.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bieeardo posted:

The Canada Computers that was at Richmond and Oxford here in town had the biggest rear end in a top hat on till. He was so bad, I'd go to the other shithole shops in the area or shop online if I could at all help it.

The new place they consolidated the two smaller shops into on Wellington is much nicer, and the staff is at least borderline professional, but I only make the hour-long round trip if I know they have what I want in stock. That's not always easy, given how lovely their website is.

I've mainly stuck with Newegg since they started their .ca branch, but filtering out the affiliates and lovely Chinese suppliers is getting increasingly annoying.

I've bought one monitor, some RAM, and a few cables from them, and yeah, the old place was pretty bleh, though I never bothered making small talk with them.

My brother likes the new place, but that's mainly cause he makes enough money that instant gratification and convenience trumps prices online.

I just ordered a computer from Newegg though, since their in house brand had a Hell of a deal.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Bieeardo posted:

make the hour-long round trip

This is why I moved away from London. gently caress that city and it's hour long time vortex to get anywhere.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Amen to that. I don't drive, so a data plan and Google Maps is the only way I manage to stay remotely sane dealing with the LTC.

I can hardly wait to see how hosed up things get downtown, when they start buggering with Richmond north of Victoria Park with their cack-handed rapid transit plan...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

This but OEMExpress. The joy of just a counter with a single terminal that displayed inventory, and man behind it who would begrudgingly go into the vast Indiana Jones warehouse adjacent to find the super cheap part you wanted.

So, Consumer's Distributing? :v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That reminds me of the old ncix store on broadway. Even when you ordered online for pickup the dude would disappear for 15-20 minute into the back to “find” your poo poo (probably just having a smoke)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Chris Knight posted:

I thought that place was magical when I was little. Mostly it was the pneumatic tubes they had set up at the counter to take your order back to wherever.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Chris Knight posted:

Holy poo poo that takes me back. I bought Link's Awakening from them.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

priznat posted:

That reminds me of the old ncix store on broadway. Even when you ordered online for pickup the dude would disappear for 15-20 minute into the back to “find” your poo poo (probably just having a smoke)

He was probably stealing. I'm told consumers had a massive employee theft problem which helped put them out of business.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

Holy poo poo that takes me back. I bought Link's Awakening from them.
Me too, probably. But I very specifically remember getting Solar Jetman and Startropics 2 from them near the end for $20 each.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I walked to a Consumer's Distributing when I was about 12 to buy some Nintendo games, and the guy wouldn't sell them to me because he "didn't trust me in the store alone". What am I going to steal, the free catalogues? I'm still bitter about that.

After ours closed it turned into a badass laser tag place though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Antioch posted:

What am I going to steal, the free catalogues? I'm still bitter about that.

They probably had a real problem with kids stealing fistfulls of their little golf pencils from the catalog stands. Not actually a problem, but it probably chapped that guys rear end real bad every time he had to sharpen two dozen of them on some lovely Consumers Distributing-sourced sharpener.