Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah. He asked me if I wanted to start it RIGHT AFTER I just finished yelling him about the giant loving hole where the bed should have been.
So I said "sure" took the keys, chucked them, flipped him the bird, hopped on my bike and left. Luckily my helmet was still locked to my bike because I would have been pretty pissed if I forgot that. It was definitely worth more than his whole truck.

I want to claim stdh.txt but it’s too perfect an image in my mind to be tarnished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

builds character posted:

Link to ad for his truck, please.

from 4-5 years ago? that's not happening.
I checked google maps streetview and the truck isn't there.
I could tell you exactly where his house is though.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I want to claim stdh.txt but it’s too perfect an image in my mind to be tarnished
Even at the time it felt pretty surreal. Looking back it feels pretty good.
He knew that I was coming from 5+ hours away and could have saved me a trip at least.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 7, 2017

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
That story makes me happy. gently caress that guy in the face.

Riding seven hours in the goddamn freezing rain for a completely pointless lie. I swear

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

from 4-5 years ago? that's not happening.
I checked google maps streetview and the truck isn't there.
I could tell you exactly where his house is though.

Even at the time it felt pretty surreal. Looking back it feels pretty good.
He knew that I was coming from 5+ hours away and could have saved me a trip at least.

Ah, sorry I thought it was more recent. I assume the truck dissolved in recent heavy rains.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

captainOrbital posted:

That story makes me happy. gently caress that guy in the face.

Riding seven hours in the goddamn freezing rain for a completely pointless lie. I swear

Well it was only freezing rain for like 4 hours. the first couple was just regular lovely rain.

Oh I almost forgot my favorite part! I had to stop somewhere near Pittsburgh to charge my phone. I wandered into this random dive bar at like 11am because it was the only thing open.
The place was packed, presumably because people there can't do whatever job they do in the rain? That or they're all unemployed.
Anywho I park my bright yellow and purple '96 CBR600 F3 right outside the front door under an overhang to keep it somewhat dry. Stumble into the land of Harleys and nohelmets looking like something out of 'Cool as Ice', soaking wet and wringing out the bandanna I wore to keep my neck from getting pelted to poo poo by sleet. I ask politely if I can charge my phone and the bartender obliges but the entire place is giving me weird looks, and looking pretty weird themselves. If you've seen the show "Shameless" you'll understand what I'm talking about.
I figure I'm gonna be there a while so I lose the jacket and helmet and belly up to the bar. I ordered a Jagerbomb, mostly for the Redbull, but partially because I hadn't had Jager in a loooong time. I notice that everyone else is drinking beer. I am definitely sticking out like a sore thumb.
The Price is Right is on the tv and some dumb gently caress bids $1 when CLEARLY everyone else underbid. Unable to contain myself, I shout "YOU loving DUMBFUCK" right about the same time some old looney looking dude in the corner yells "YOU IDIOT!" We lock eyes, when suddenly a beer comes sliding in front of me from my left. Bartender says "it's on the house" and asks me what the gently caress I'm doing there.
I proceed to tell them all about how I'm riding up there to buy a truck because I wrecked my last one and how lovely the ride was, and life, and women, and before you know it I'm one of them.
I am blue-collar unemployed America sitting in a bar at 11am amidst steel mills and sulphur. Drinking and blaming my problems on the world. Complaining to anyone that would listen (and everyone was listening) even the fake blow-up palm tree and pink flamingo in the corner next to looney guy.
It felt good.

builds character posted:

Ah, sorry I thought it was more recent. I assume the truck dissolved in recent heavy rains.
He probably just pushed it into the river.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I never get tired of that story.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH62e-4y_qs

I would not have handled that as well as this motorcyclist did. I'm a little touched at the humanity of the van driver though :unsmith:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Elviscat posted:

Depends on traffic, I could do 300 mile days on my R1 no problem, but if you get into traffic on a SS, you wear out fast and no amount of rest fully recovers you. Plus if you're moving at speed you can just lay down on the tank and let your feet chill on the passenger pegs, especially on slab.

Jesus. I must have been living the good life with upright-ish sporty bikes. 300 mile days feel no worse than a long hike.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Beach Bum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH62e-4y_qs

I would not have handled that as well as this motorcyclist did. I'm a little touched at the humanity of the van driver though :unsmith:

i dont think i'd have handled that as cool as the rider, but im a bad person

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well it was only freezing rain for like 4 hours. the first couple was just regular lovely rain.

Oh I almost forgot my favorite part! I had to stop somewhere near Pittsburgh to charge my phone. I wandered into this random dive bar at like 11am because it was the only thing open.
The place was packed, presumably because people there can't do whatever job they do in the rain? That or they're all unemployed.
Anywho I park my bright yellow and purple '96 CBR600 F3 right outside the front door under an overhang to keep it somewhat dry. Stumble into the land of Harleys and nohelmets looking like something out of 'Cool as Ice', soaking wet and wringing out the bandanna I wore to keep my neck from getting pelted to poo poo by sleet. I ask politely if I can charge my phone and the bartender obliges but the entire place is giving me weird looks, and looking pretty weird themselves. If you've seen the show "Shameless" you'll understand what I'm talking about.
I figure I'm gonna be there a while so I lose the jacket and helmet and belly up to the bar. I ordered a Jagerbomb, mostly for the Redbull, but partially because I hadn't had Jager in a loooong time. I notice that everyone else is drinking beer. I am definitely sticking out like a sore thumb.
The Price is Right is on the tv and some dumb gently caress bids $1 when CLEARLY everyone else underbid. Unable to contain myself, I shout "YOU loving DUMBFUCK" right about the same time some old looney looking dude in the corner yells "YOU IDIOT!" We lock eyes, when suddenly a beer comes sliding in front of me from my left. Bartender says "it's on the house" and asks me what the gently caress I'm doing there.
I proceed to tell them all about how I'm riding up there to buy a truck because I wrecked my last one and how lovely the ride was, and life, and women, and before you know it I'm one of them.
I am blue-collar unemployed America sitting in a bar at 11am amidst steel mills and sulphur. Drinking and blaming my problems on the world. Complaining to anyone that would listen (and everyone was listening) even the fake blow-up palm tree and pink flamingo in the corner next to looney guy.
It felt good.

He probably just pushed it into the river.

uh...huh

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
On the way home tonight, in the span of 2 miles, a guy:
-Tried to reverse over me at a stop light (I thought it was an accident on their part)
-Brake check me 5 times in a row (I was 2 car lengths behind so it was just curious rather than a problem)

So at the next 10 minute light, I got beside his passenger window and asked him what was up. Immediately he gets all spitting angry screaming about my driving like poo poo, and tailgating him. Some days I'd be guilty as charged, but tonight I was just riding chill and leaving lots of room, so I have no idea.

I told him I hoped he had a better day, and to take care. He reacted by trying to ram me off the road since I was still beside him in traffic. :randstare:

How could you get so angry at a Grom?!

Coydog fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 17, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How old was he? With the data provided I'm thinking either punishing baby boomer or meth addict.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

How old was he? With the data provided I'm thinking either punishing baby boomer or meth addict.

being the south; why not both?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Right I forget that you guys actually have poor boomers as well.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
better calm down before you get bike #3 rekt

i dont ever engage maddies in cars, it can only end up badly for you

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Coydog posted:

How could you get so angry at a Grom?!

I think you answered your own question.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Deffo a a white, graying, boomer in a boring Nissan Altima.

Razzled posted:

better calm down before you get bike #3 rekt

i dont ever engage maddies in cars, it can only end up badly for you

No I need a helmet cam. I only engaged because I was super curious at what on earth could have got him so angry.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I understand him. I feel the same way any time I see a grom.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I actually tipped over a Grom with my car the other day for fun. Added to all the marks from the 50cc DUI specials weeble-wobbling all over the road at 15MPH.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Coydog posted:

Nissan Altima.
If I had to drive an Altima all the time I'd be angry too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Grom Defense Force, ASSEMBLE!!

What a weird old dude. I will assume he was jealous of the fun you were having.

I had a very similar experience years back on my DRZSM where some old guy in a BMW accused me of doing “well over 100” in a 45. On a DRZSM that could only barely hit 100 on a landing strip with a tail wind. I was in fact maybe doing 50 in the 45, but I did have an open exhaust which probably made it sound like I was hauling rear end (cue 2 stroke Saab rally car video)

The best part was he wrote down my plate and said he was going to the police to tell them he had to do 130 in his car to catch me :psypop: I actually asked him if he was sure he wanted to tell the police he did 130 in a 45.

Needless to say I never heard from the police.

People are weird.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Coydog posted:

Deffo a a white, graying, boomer in a boring Nissan Altima.

I didn't notice it until it was pointed out to me years ago, but Altima drivers are the worst. I don't know what it is about this generic rear end car, but their drivers are worse than Prius and PT Cruisers.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
No joke, many of them are probably badly in debt, going by stories of Nissan/used car lot "financing".

I always feel my age/old when seeing an angry person fills me not with indignation but tired, defeated empathy.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Sometimes motorcycles just make people irrationally angry. :shrug: If you encounter road rage from someone else (or especially yourself) just make like an xbox 360 and drive away.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

just make like an xbox 360

But I don't want my bike to stop working due to overheating issues!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Duck_King posted:

I didn't notice it until it was pointed out to me years ago, but Altima drivers are the worst. I don't know what it is about this generic rear end car, but their drivers are worse than Prius and PT Cruisers.

Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan, so

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Sometimes motorcycles just make people irrationally angry. :shrug: If you encounter road rage from someone else (or especially yourself) just make like an xbox 360 and drive away.

I wish I had saved and posted the video, but had a brodozer Dodge Ram get all angry at me for some reason last year. I passed him, in the #1 lane, while barely above the speed limit. He was in the #3 lane, at a bit below the limit. So, a slow motion pass, with a lane as a buffer. Suddenly, he is in the next lane, leaning out his window, screaming at me and giving me the finger. A bit of ZX14 acceleration put him behind me for good, but I had no idea what set him off.

I reviewed the video when I got home, and still had no idea what triggered him. I should have saved and posted it, in retrospect. Maybe he just is like a cartoon bull, and bright red sets him off?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I love hearing all these stories of crazy people flipping out on motorcycles that were just heading to their destination. Picking one sort of car to be driven by idiots always seemed like confirmation bias. That said, last year I passed someone camping out in a "keep moving" lane and they caught up to me with the girl in the passenger seat hanging out the window screaming out me and all sorts of nonsense. I think that was a silver altima, too (do they even come in other colors?).

That time, they refused to roll down their window to talk to me when we got stopped at a light. Cowards.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I feel like all the teens that drove overly aggressive in their Civics and Integras in the 90's graduated to pickup trucks in modern times. Without fail its always pickups trucks doing aggressive questionable passes in traffic trying to fight their way upstream.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Why are bike rotors so expensive?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Short answer: capitalism.

Long answer: they take several more machining operations than a car rotor to make, they have to be made to a tighter tolerance because of bike dynamics and the way they're mounted et al, there's a metric fuckton more corollas/mondeos/whatever out there than any bike big enough to have normal sized dics, the number of suppliers is far less numerous and the number of retail stores is far less numerous.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That makes sense, but it's $460 to replace my front rotors with EBC ones, let alone the Galfer ones.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cheap OEM replacement discs are about 300 each here so yeah. Capitalism.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
On the bright side 0% finance is a thing that's fairly common now. I just got done paying off my EBCs from last year in fact! :toot:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
On an actual rant: dammit Google why do you keep throwing me bike news results from India? I don't care how many lakh the new Z300 will sell for! :argh:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Renaissance Robot posted:

On an actual rant: dammit Google why do you keep throwing me bike news results from India? I don't care how many lakh the new Z300 will sell for! :argh:

Did you recently get a fortune cookie telling of exciting adventures in your future??

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm the worst bike owner, at least it was the rear pads. I knew I needed to change them, but I moved months ago and couldn't find the ones I had already purchased. There's a nice groove in my rotor now too, I'm sure that means I should replace it, but it's the rear brake so...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

how the gently caress did you let it get to the point of grinding a groove into the backing plate without re-evaluating your behavior

what did it sound like by the end?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
An amazing thing I've noticed working on bikes is that the condition of the pads has almost no effect at all on the noise they make. I've seen brand new ones squeal like nails on a chalkboard and metal on metal pads worn down to nothing sound perfectly normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like once you hit the backing plate the rotor and plate would very quickly wear to each other’s patterns and get very quiet actually. I have never let brakes go long enough to test this however