Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Shindragon posted:

The Disney CEO (Bob Iger, which from what I heard is a ruthless guy)apparently was talking to one of the EA CEOs before this was pulled, so he probably told EA knock that poo poo off.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-battlefront-2-drops-microtransactions-te/1100-6455042/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
EA Subjected To The Iger Sanction

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

As an alternate tin hat theory, they disabled the microtransactions to help take the heat off and get normies regular people to buy the game again before turning them back on.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

As an alternate tin hat theory, they disabled the microtransactions to help take the heat off and get normies regular people to buy the game again before turning them back on.

The announcement says that they will turn purchases back on after "listening, adjusting, balancing, and tuning."
https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/931332890717143040

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Grapplejack posted:

That's explicitly what they're doing. The statement outright says that buying crystals with real money will be back. This means "buy now so you can grind to be on a level playing field with the whales when we turn them back on in 3 weeks".

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

aaaaaaaaaaaah beans i was walking too fast and i accidentally spilled my bucket of Dystopian Cyberpunk Party Member Names over the new pubg map aaaaaaaaaaah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

let's all play quake live, I say again two months in a row

I do periodically but the only servers with pop are clan arena and I don't like clan arena

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

seems like Lariat, Bareback, Hard Luck, and Mishap are [roll d12]

blinded by the cyberdrone's hack !! no !!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oddium posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaah beans i was walking too fast and i accidentally spilled my bucket of Dystopian Cyberpunk Party Member Names over the new pubg map aaaaaaaaaaah

Bareback? :raise:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

oddium posted:

Murderland sounds like a nice place.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

oddium posted:

The city on the middle-left has a name so embarrassing they requested it not be printed on the map.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

The city on the middle-left has a name so embarrassing they requested it not be printed on the map.

that's uh [checks compendium]

that's Thrilldozer

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

At least it doesn't have anything as bad as the poo poo in Texas https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...m=.a83c3a81d589

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dang it having a lot of trouble with the last few memories in botw :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

the pictures are titled in hylian, and all the hylian in the game is a simple substitution cipher. the power... is yours....

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I’ve just been trying to track down Pikango for hints but I can’t find him. Missing memories 13, 14, 16 and 17 / the 9th, 10th and 12th pics.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

oddium posted:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

prey bark hahaha

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

"Capital"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

People will 100% accept games coming out sans microtransactions and then beginning the whale hunt the minute the server pops falls

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I dislike that kind of treasure hunt in games in general, but the cool thing about the botw pictures is that there is always at least one big landmark to orient yourself by. pay attention to the background is my big tip!!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

People like unlocking stuff that's why everything is an RPG now
Ken Levine once joked that Madden is the highest selling RPG on the market. Cause of all the stats, you see.

Ken Levine would later go on to lay off hundreds of people and close his poorly-managed studio so he could gently caress off to play Hollywood Screenwriter on some gritty reboot that I'm pretty sure still hasn't shot frame one yet.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ken Levine thought the best genre to tell his lovely stories in was an FPS, so it's understandable that he isn't particularly cognizant of the nuances of game mechanics and player experience

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Trip Report: I tried some Fortnight Battle Royale (that’s console PUBG for now) and boy is this style of game not for me. I couldn’t figure out if there is a practice mode, so I am not sure how to learn how the gunplay works without being in a game which, given my experience so far, means an 50:1 ratio of loading screens or running around not shooting to shooting and dying. This extends the learning period out excruciatingly long. I think I pulled the trigger, like, twice.

I have learned that I much prefer the high flow respawn and get back out there combat of your TitanFall 2, Destiny 2, Overwatch etc.

Also a small thing but an interesting thing: as far as I can tell the avatar is randomized which meant there was nothing for me to feel attached to. This made me even less inclined to pick myself up and try again. I just didn’t give a poo poo.

God bless those of you who love this style of play. It doesn’t appeal to me at all.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

homeless snail posted:

I dislike that kind of treasure hunt in games in general, but the cool thing about the botw pictures is that there is always at least one big landmark to orient yourself by. pay attention to the background is my big tip!!

I liked finding the memories way more than the memories themselves lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

doingitwrong posted:

Also a small thing but an interesting thing: as far as I can tell the avatar is randomized which meant there was nothing for me to feel attached to. This made me even less inclined to pick myself up and try again. I just didn’t give a poo poo.

It's not randomized, it simply alternates you between the male and female avatar. There also shouldn't be any loading screens to speak of, even on a PSPoor the time between getting killed and getting into a new game should be 1-2 minutes of which about 20 seconds is loading screen. But if you're not having fun, that's too bad; it took me a couple sessions to get a feel for it but once it clicked I started having a lot of fun. It's more "hide and seek" than "shoot the mans" though, so it may just not be for you.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I really wonder about if I’m gonna like HZD at all after playing BotW

This is the first time I’ve really been able to play a heavily exploration focused game all the way through

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

an actual dog posted:

I liked finding the memories way more than the memories themselves lol

I... really liked the memories? Like, bad voice acting aside, I enjoyed the glimpses into Link and Zelda's backstory (non-linearly, given that you probably won't collect them sequentially). And the final memory showing what happened at Fort Hateno (and subsequently the reason Hateno village was spared from the Guardian attack) was fascinating.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

they don't really amount to much but its kinda cool that BOTW is the sequel to a zelda game that never happened where Link sucked, and you occasionally get flashbacks to it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have 8 levels left in Siren...I can almost see the end. I love this game so much but it would be nice if it were shorter

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

This is the first time I’ve really been able to play a heavily exploration focused game all the way through

I don't think HZD is very exploration focused in the same way as botw.

I liked them for completely different reasons.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Ciaphas posted:

Horizon takes more after Assassin's Creed and The Witcher 3 rather than Besthesda RPGs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

homeless snail posted:

they don't really amount to much but its kinda cool that BOTW is the sequel to a zelda game that never happened where Link sucked, and you occasionally get flashbacks to it

But Link sucks in BOTW :confused:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hzd is nothing like botw at all. If you play itlooking for the same poo poo you wont like it. Its much more like a hybrid of farcry and witcher i guess

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I loved W3 but never finished it... never really played any Far Cry’s and I’ve bounced unsuccessfully off of AC:O recently

Hmm

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How do you feel about the "lady with a bow" game genre, it's a good one of those

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bows are good as are many ladies

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like botw's semblance of a story more than any other 3d zelda game other than, like, majora's mask and parts of wind waker. it's so out of the way and the memories basically entirely being weird moments link had with his weird friends is a lot more interesting to me than the insanely long, hollow exposition dumps most of the games have

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/The_Katbot/status/931367497831366657
https://twitter.com/The_Katbot/status/931367813301788674
https://twitter.com/The_Katbot/status/931381604504576000

More on that in this US Gamer article.

The article brings uo the latest Need For Speed which, I wonder if that's going to get "Tweaked" or "Fixed" or if it's a lost cause at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/The_Katbot/status/931367497831366657
https://twitter.com/The_Katbot/status/931367813301788674
https://twitter.com/The_Katbot/status/931381604504576000

More on that in this US Gamer article.

The article brings uo the latest Need For Speed which, I wonder if that's going to get "Tweaked" or "Fixed" or if it's a lost cause at this point.
so this is what optimism winning feels like

• Locked thread