Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Uh, I don't play Soundboxing.

Songbearer posted:

That makes it even more impressive!

lol

okay it's a different guy with a smirking anime man against a blue background as an avatar. steam name oovee. that guy. really good at soundboxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Wolverine claws in the latest Gorn beta are really fun but I really want to be able to put my fist up to an enemy and then shinksnikt them. It just pushes them back at the moment.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 16, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The Walrus posted:

okay it's a different guy with a smirking anime man against a blue background as an avatar. steam name oovee. that guy. really good at soundboxing.

Now I want to recreate photogrammetry models of my friends from various facebook pictures of them, so that I can doppelgänger them in VR.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zero VGS posted:

Now I want to recreate photogrammetry models of my friends from various facebook pictures of them, so that I can doppelgänger them in VR.

This is more or less how that Blade Runner VR experience works.

snikt :mad:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zero VGS posted:

http://cvl-demos.cs.nott.ac.uk/vrn/

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oh jeez.

$150 :qq:

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Yeesh. Even https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01N5K4X5A/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1 are overpriced, but that?!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Oddly Specific VR Requirements That May Help Others

I got a pair of these:
http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/void-wireless-dolby-7-1-gaming-headset

Because wireless is great for VR and also they fit well over hearing aids, so if anyone is a deaf fucker like me I can recommend these.
They work well, look OK and sound fine.
The foam is memory foam sort of and if feels good, in the past headphones could push against my ears which the were pushed onto my hearing aids which does hurt after a few minutes, these don't do that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What's up my knifegrabs? I updated the prices for the Rift and Vive in the OP. I'm gonna update PSVR and probably just delete all those other headsets. I'm gonna add in the Windows ones eventually. What do people want in there? Seems like the Samsung Odyssey is the most popular headset of the MR headsets. And I guess I'll throw the Pimax in there since it seems like it's a real thing that actually works.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

peter gabriel posted:

Oddly Specific VR Requirements That May Help Others

I got a pair of these:
http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/void-wireless-dolby-7-1-gaming-headset

Because wireless is great for VR and also they fit well over hearing aids, so if anyone is a deaf fucker like me I can recommend these.
They work well, look OK and sound fine.
The foam is memory foam sort of and if feels good, in the past headphones could push against my ears which the were pushed onto my hearing aids which does hurt after a few minutes, these don't do that.

:same: I picked these up before I got VR actually but they are great, fairly lightweight and like you say much comfier than some headsets, they go over the ears rather than pressing against them

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Cojawfee posted:

What's up my knifegrabs? I updated the prices for the Rift and Vive in the OP. I'm gonna update PSVR and probably just delete all those other headsets. I'm gonna add in the Windows ones eventually. What do people want in there? Seems like the Samsung Odyssey is the most popular headset of the MR headsets. And I guess I'll throw the Pimax in there since it seems like it's a real thing that actually works.

Throughout the thread there are mentions of pre built machines for running VR being the best value and least hassle, available somewhere online (Newegg?). If the info on that is easily recallable to someone, can you add that to the op? It seems like there is very solid advice on choosing an HMD now, but less so for a machine to drive it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Maw posted:

:same: I picked these up before I got VR actually but they are great, fairly lightweight and like you say much comfier than some headsets, they go over the ears rather than pressing against them

They seem good so far for sure, I like the EQ settings in the software too, I have a Corsair RGB keyboard and at the click of a mouse my nerd station gets fabulous

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Payday 2 VR is live

At work, so it'll be a few hours before I can test on my rift... Actually, this might be Vive only.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Seashell Salesman posted:

Throughout the thread there are mentions of pre built machines for running VR being the best value and least hassle, available somewhere online (Newegg?). If the info on that is easily recallable to someone, can you add that to the op? It seems like there is very solid advice on choosing an HMD now, but less so for a machine to drive it.

Hp does rift bundles for 999.99 pc and rift

Phuzun posted:

Payday 2 VR is live

At work, so it'll be a few hours before I can test on my rift... Actually, this might be Vive only.

Anything on steam should work on rift. Grip controls and poo poo might be weird but it should work.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Anything on steam should work on rift. Grip controls and poo poo might be weird but it should work.

Crystal Rift certainly doesn't. Supports Vive controls or gamepad on Steam and on Oculus store, only gamepad.

Admittedly, that's the only game I've seen with that issue. I'd really hope they support touch in payday though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Phuzun posted:

Crystal Rift certainly doesn't. Supports Vive controls or gamepad on Steam and on Oculus store, only gamepad.

Admittedly, that's the only game I've seen with that issue. I'd really hope they support touch in payday though.

Oculus controls should mimic the Vive controls when played in steam vr mode. Did you try it using steam vr for Crystal Rift? The steam version should prompt you whether to use steam vr or oculus runtime. If it doesn't, right click and choose steam vr instead of oculus. There are some games that insist upon using oculus even when you select steam (like elite dangerous) but if you select to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode it will override that and run it in steam vr.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

EbolaIvory posted:

Hp does rift bundles for 999.99 pc and rift

It seems like this offer expired. Was this the HP Omen bundle?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Can we add a blurb to the OP about how there is no actual MR headset yet and Microsoft really loving sucks at properly applying terminology?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Thor-Stryker posted:

Can we add a blurb to the OP about how there is no actual MR headset yet and Microsoft really loving sucks at properly applying terminology?

Seriously, this is bizarre to me.
Here check out my revolutionary new Holo-Book
*gives you a pop up book*

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Oculus controls should mimic the Vive controls when played in steam vr mode. Did you try it using steam vr for Crystal Rift? The steam version should prompt you whether to use steam vr or oculus runtime. If it doesn't, right click and choose steam vr instead of oculus. There are some games that insist upon using oculus even when you select steam (like elite dangerous) but if you select to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode it will override that and run it in steam vr.

I don't know that I tried that. I had bought it early access when I had a DK2 and by the time I got Touch, I had a dozen other things and really didn't care to spend time on it. Was fun though and I imagine motion controls would be much more immersive.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Seashell Salesman posted:

It seems like this offer expired. Was this the HP Omen bundle?

They pop up randomly.

Woot sells the bare machines. Without rift for 349-749 depending on the parts.

Hard to say

Phuzun posted:

Also have that issue on rift wit that piece of poo poo game. It’s the crap game.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

Ah, I didn't mention this but it sounds like the imported mesh is still visible. go to the mesh layer and select the options on the mesh again and turn it invisible so you're only seeing the clay you made.

EDIT: So, essentially after you turn it to clay the imported reference mesh is still in the scene in the same position floating there. It doesn't actually turn it into clay exactly, but makes a clay duplicate while keeping the original.

EDIT2: If you're interested at some point and I'm around I could even pop into a multiplayer session and see exactly what you're trying to do :P The magic of VR.

I’ll def take you up on that at some point. I just realised that the ‘lighthouse stands’ for my portable Vive setup are actually literally camera tripods, so today’s efforts are going to be all about getting the best source photos. A lot of my shots yesterday were blurry and useless, I’m also having to figure out photography as I go. Higher ISOs work better in low lighting but the shutter stays open longer so the shots are usually ruined. Therefore, more light, low ISO (as already stated, but I guess I have to learn these things the hard way) - or if the light is low in some angles (corners of rooms, under desks) whip out the tripod.

I think low light in the source photos also causes that ‘objects melting into the ground’ effect in Photoscan.

It’s interesting that smartphone cameras have no problem whatsoever with windows/altered lighting. I’m don’t know enough to say why, but they make photos that are far closer to what my eye sees than anything the DSLR is giving me (although much lower resolution). I’m wondering if I could combine the two in photoscan for better results.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Chadzok posted:

I’ll def take you up on that at some point. I just realised that the ‘lighthouse stands’ for my portable Vive setup are actually literally camera tripods, so today’s efforts are going to be all about getting the best source photos. A lot of my shots yesterday were blurry and useless, I’m also having to figure out photography as I go. Higher ISOs work better in low lighting but the shutter stays open longer so the shots are usually ruined. Therefore, more light, low ISO (as already stated, but I guess I have to learn these things the hard way) - or if the light is low in some angles (corners of rooms, under desks) whip out the tripod.

I think low light in the source photos also causes that ‘objects melting into the ground’ effect in Photoscan.

It’s interesting that smartphone cameras have no problem whatsoever with windows/altered lighting. I’m don’t know enough to say why, but they make photos that are far closer to what my eye sees than anything the DSLR is giving me (although much lower resolution). I’m wondering if I could combine the two in photoscan for better results.

I wouldn't mix and match two cameras just because you're going to have differences in exposure, white ballance, etc, which is going to make things screwy. If you have a white wall and in one photo its white but another its yellowish, its not going to be great.

What kind of lens are you using on the DSLR? Are you using a full manual mode? You should be able to adjust shutter speed independent of ISO and f stop. What I did was shoot everything in manual with all settings locked, ISO, F stop, shutter speed, white balance, etc, so nothing could change between shots depending on the lighting in that angle. Also in some of the larger areas I also grabbed for redundancy some spherical captures, ie a tripod in the middle of the room and swivling 360 capturing photos with overlap all along the way, as well as 360 angled up and up and down and down, again with overlap between them.

You could also give your smartphone a try as well, as long as you can set some of it manually, they can produce pretty good images these days.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Yeah, manual camera settings is the way to go. Ideally you'll want the zoom locked down too. Note that you'll want your F-stop set high, but not too high, apparently after 13 or so you'll start getting diffraction affecting the picture quality.

Here's also some of Valves guides on photogrammetry, lots of interesting stuff in there.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/117448248511524033
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamVR/Environments/Advanced_Indoors_Photogrammetry#Capture

I also tried shooting my nature scene with a cellphone camera first, but Photoscan had an even harder time to parse that than with a DSLR. If you use a cellphone camera, note that you'll have to figure out the sensor size for the camera calibration.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I was locking down the f-stop and iso, just read the camera manual and found out how to lock down the shutter speed too (I wasn’t actually in full manual). I’ll have a read of those links today, thanks.

Not sure what the lens is, just the default on a canon 550D. Not a zoom or anything.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Chadzok posted:

I was locking down the f-stop and iso, just read the camera manual and found out how to lock down the shutter speed too (I wasn’t actually in full manual). I’ll have a read of those links today, thanks.

Not sure what the lens is, just the default on a canon 550D. Not a zoom or anything.

Hmm, from what I can google looks like the kit lens on that was an 18-55mm? If thats the case make sure photos at the widest setting don't have any distortion at the edges, but, I mainly say you want a wide angle just for the practical reason that in an indoor setting its far easier the more of the room is in each shot. You should check as well to see if the lens/camera has image stabilization and if thats turned on, that should help with handheld shots. I would lock the shutter speed to something that you can comfortably do hand held, since you won't be able to get a tripod as close to a wall (when I do it i literally have my back to the wall to get as much of the room in shot), and the f-stop at at least probably around 8ish, or so (the lower you can go with the whole scene being in focus, the better for light), and then play with the ISO settings only to try and get the brightness to where you want it. You should be able to do a decent amount of it before it introduces any artifacts that are going to be noticeable or screw things up, canon are pretty good for that.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Alright looks like I’m getting some pretty good results in Photoscan now. I’ve also learned a hell of a lot about photography so that’s a random plus. It’s a real confluence of skills, getting this sort of thing happening, isn’t it?

Unfortunately I kinda went overboard on the photos, ended up with over 900. It looks good from some quick processing on the low settings, so I’m going to commit to some ludicrous processing times overnight (6hrs+) for the higher quality results.

Did you say the VRGoons Discord as a meet point? I idle on there, same name. I’m working all day tomorrow but I’d love if you could jump into my medium scene at some point maybe Sunday and show me the sorts of tools and techniques you’d use.

The mesh that you mess around with in Medium is untextured, correct?

Oh another quick question before I commit to the processing time: point cloud depth reconstruction: off, mild, medium or aggressive?

Edit: wait hang on, Padawan has another question: after photo alignment, do you go through and remove all the points that are obviously outside the bounds of the room? Does that help/harm in any way in generating the dense cloud?

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 17, 2017

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Skyrim VR is really excellent, and is the first VR game since resident evil that I'll be putting dozens of hours into. I'll also be trying to pick up a a rift on Black Friday, so I'm really looking forward to fallout 4 VR as well.

It's amazing how making the gameplay more fun in and of itself, such as with shooting a bow in VR, can breathe so much life into something.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Chadzok posted:

Alright looks like I’m getting some pretty good results in Photoscan now. I’ve also learned a hell of a lot about photography so that’s a random plus. It’s a real confluence of skills, getting this sort of thing happening, isn’t it?

Unfortunately I kinda went overboard on the photos, ended up with over 900. It looks good from some quick processing on the low settings, so I’m going to commit to some ludicrous processing times overnight (6hrs+) for the higher quality results.

Did you say the VRGoons Discord as a meet point? I idle on there, same name. I’m working all day tomorrow but I’d love if you could jump into my medium scene at some point maybe Sunday and show me the sorts of tools and techniques you’d use.

The mesh that you mess around with in Medium is untextured, correct?

Oh another quick question before I commit to the processing time: point cloud depth reconstruction: off, mild, medium or aggressive?

Edit: wait hang on, Padawan has another question: after photo alignment, do you go through and remove all the points that are obviously outside the bounds of the room? Does that help/harm in any way in generating the dense cloud?

Yeah hop in the VRGoon discord and i'll hit you up in there. Happy to have a look (and to be selfishly honest I haven't gotten to try medium's new multiplayer feature, and i'm dying to see it).

Yes, the OBJ mesh is untextured that I use, now, this is one thing thats bugged me, if I export an FBX it keeps vertex colouring as a crude sort of texturing, which medium actually reads and applies to the clay when you copy it. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to export an FBX file that keeps the right coordinates and scale to be imported back into photoscan. It always fails and only OBJ files will keep everything correct, and OBJ don't keep any of that vertex colour info so, I've just made do with it being blank. One thing you can do to help is put some of the photos you took into the reference images folder for medium, and then bring them in and pin them around you so you can get a sense of whats what if its blending together to you.

As far as your question, on the alignment, I do accuracy medium, pair preselection disabled. For the dense cloud quality again medium, and depth filtering to 'aggressive'. Yes, I usually delete all the points outside the room which are usually the result of reflections and other errors before doing the dense mesh. Theres no reason to keep them for any purpose.

EDIT: OH OH! I forgot something before you start the dense cloud! Make sure the scene borders in photoscan are larger than your object or room. If the bounding box is smaller in any way part of your room will be sharply cut off from the dense cloud, and you'll have to redo the dense cloud generation. Make sure you expand the size of the workspace before doing the dense cloud!

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 17, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The windows controllers are so bad lmao, they're so unnatural to hold. I tried playing SPT and some BAM and they're just loving weird. You have to hook your thumb around the bulge on the side to get a stable grip that actually shoots forwards. If you try to hold it "normally" it feels like it wants to jump out of my hands. It also wasn't tracking very stably when I was holding a gun in a two handed position in front of me, it would wobble and move for some reason (wouldn't this be an ideal setup for tracking? Idk maybe they were getting occluded)

In conclusion the resolution really is noticeably way better in games, wow geez. It doesn't bother me when playing Rift stuff but man putting this thing on really is way better visually.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's good that every manufacturer is targeting specific niches, next generation HMDs will have more lessons to learn from that way.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

The windows controllers are so bad lmao, they're so unnatural to hold. I tried playing SPT and some BAM and they're just loving weird. You have to hook your thumb around the bulge on the side to get a stable grip that actually shoots forwards. If you try to hold it "normally" it feels like it wants to jump out of my hands. It also wasn't tracking very stably when I was holding a gun in a two handed position in front of me, it would wobble and move for some reason (wouldn't this be an ideal setup for tracking? Idk maybe they were getting occluded)

In conclusion the resolution really is noticeably way better in games, wow geez. It doesn't bother me when playing Rift stuff but man putting this thing on really is way better visually.

So, Do either of the other 2 control methods boot up and work without its Headset?

Vive ones should right? Why not break out the wands and see if bam and poo poo works like that?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You'd have to go into your SteamVR settings file also and set activateMultipleDrivers. Probably would also need to use OpenVR Input Emulator to offset the controllers so that they're in the HMD's tracking space, that would take some loving around

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I don't have my lighthouses setup and also I'm not going to do any of that anyway lol

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Payday vr is really cool and fun. Also free if you already own pay day 2.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Iracing via steamvr runs great and looks great in the odyssey.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Knifegrab posted:

Payday vr is really cool and fun. Also free if you already own pay day 2.

This. My feet hurt and I went down a lot more than normal, but it's pretty good. Just needs some tweaks for the controls and ideally some locomotion options.

Also being forced at Level 0/0 doesn't help, I wanted to start with my modded MAG58 and Loco.

Getting video uploaded, since I got OBS working for Gorn multiplayer. See below, if you have a high tolerance for shitposting Australians and bad memes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUwK_7NFXZs

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's killing me to not be able to play skyrim VR. I'm excited for fallout but I'm really worried about the performance even on a 1080 and honestly I'd rather play skyrim in VR. bashing heads with swords, casting magic missle and shooting a bow and arrow just seems more fun than holding a weightless fatman in one hand.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Paingod556 posted:

This. My feet hurt and I went down a lot more than normal, but it's pretty good. Just needs some tweaks for the controls and ideally some locomotion options.

Also being forced at Level 0/0 doesn't help, I wanted to start with my modded MAG58 and Loco.

Getting video uploaded, since I got OBS working for Gorn multiplayer. See below, if you have a high tolerance for shitposting Australians and bad memes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUwK_7NFXZs

Move your save file from your main game to the vr folder and it should work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/amazongames/status/931300345161990144