Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Tiggum posted:

It's mince. That is literally what it is as well as what it is called. Whether it's fine or course, whether it's lean or fatty, mince is mince. I know that Americans don't call it that, but others do and that was all Helith was saying. When Americans say "sausage" they're referring to the stuff we call "mince".

Wow , really? That's strange. Sausage is a tube thingy,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

When Americans say "sausage" they're referring to the stuff we call "mince".

... What? Uh, no?

Hot take here, but:

is a sausage.

Also, this:

is also sausage, just without a casing. Do you call sausage crumbles something different as well because it doesn't look like a traditional "sausage?"

Lol, I just noticed that on the UPC tag, it literally says sausage

Randaconda posted:

Italian sausage? WTF man, you've been in the south too long for that poo poo.

Dude, try it once. Get the Publix hot and mild, mix them and go nuts. It's delicious, I promise.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zipperelli. posted:

Also, this:

is also sausage, just without a casing.
I know Americans call that "sausage" that is what I am saying. What do you think we are disagreeing on here?

Zipperelli. posted:

Do you call sausage crumbles something different as well because it doesn't look like a traditional "sausage?"
I have no idea what a "sausage crumble" is so I'm guessing that we do, in fact, call it something different.

Zipperelli. posted:

Lol, I just noticed that on the UPC tag, it literally says sausage
Yes, because it's American. Americans call mince "sausage".

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I know Americans call that "sausage" that is what I am saying. What do you think we are disagreeing on here?

I have no idea what a "sausage crumble" is so I'm guessing that we do, in fact, call it something different.

Yes, because it's American. Americans call mince "sausage".

no you loving lobotomite, it's minced sausage filling, we don't call all minced meats "sausage"

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

Alaois posted:

no you loving lobotomite, it's minced sausage filling"

Alaois posted:

minced sausage filling"

Just loving LOL.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Helith posted:

For years when I saw Americans talking online about biscuits and gravy I imagined these:

covered with this:

and thought you all were loving disgusting and crazy.

Then I got around to googling it and realised that you meant savoury scones covered with a mince and bechamel sauce.

Yes well I grew up thinking that all British people had pathologically faulty digestive systems and had to be prescribed brand-name “digestive biscuits” by their doctors

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You geniuses, have you considered you can get ground meat that is seasoned with the same stuff as a sausage, but not stuffed into a casing? How would you call it to distinguish it from plain minced meat?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Please someone with too much time on their hands find the Great Infuriating Sausage Derail from the last thread and let us know if any of the participants are the same. Years later, and goons are still struggling with concept of sausage.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

Years later, and goons are still struggling with concept of sausage.
But MisterBibs doesn't even post here

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

no you loving lobotomite, it's minced sausage filling, we don't call all minced meats "sausage"
Fine, Americans call some mince "sausage". I didn't mean to imply it was the one and only word used to describe all minced meats in America. The statement "Americans call mince 'sausage'" does not mean the same thing as "All Americans call all forms of minced meat 'sausage' all the time". One of those statements is true and the other is not. Is that clear enough?

steinrokkan posted:

You geniuses, have you considered you can get ground meat that is seasoned with the same stuff as a sausage, but not stuffed into a casing? How would you call it to distinguish it from plain minced meat?
I'd probably call it "mince and/with <whatever is added to it>" if I needed to make the distinction. But if you buy that in a supermarket in Australia it will not be labelled "sausage". It's sometimes labelled "sausage mince", but never just "sausage" as it often is in America, because in Australia the word "sausage" refers specifically to the meat tube product, not its component parts.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you always nitpick everything with autistic-like fervor?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
sausage patties

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Randaconda posted:

It's Tiggum.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Randaconda posted:

:randstare:

that quote could literally be applied to every thread ever.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Tiggum posted:

Fine, Americans call some mince "sausage". I didn't mean to imply it was the one and only word used to describe all minced meats in America. The statement "Americans call mince 'sausage'" does not mean the same thing as "All Americans call all forms of minced meat 'sausage' all the time". One of those statements is true and the other is not. Is that clear enough?

I'd probably call it "mince and/with <whatever is added to it>" if I needed to make the distinction. But if you buy that in a supermarket in Australia it will not be labelled "sausage". It's sometimes labelled "sausage mince", but never just "sausage" as it often is in America, because in Australia the word "sausage" refers specifically to the meat tube product, not its component parts.

Ever had a sausage and egg mcmuffin? Surely you have. Did you get stroppy and demand a refund?
What do you do when a sausage splits on the barbie? Panic and feel the need to make up some new name?

Sausage is the meat mix, pretty simple. Mince (or ground) meat is just the meat only. Sausage is herbs, salt, and other stuff added (like extra fat, bread, binders etc). I haven't even seen sausage meat in plain caseless ground form like pictured in Australia, but I know what sausage/sausage meat is and can accept it and move on.

Also from my understanding bechamel/white sauce is a thing without meat or meat fat. White gravy is another thing (usually meat fat, meat stock, or meat in it makes it not a bechamel or 'white sauce'

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Seems one of the commonest sources of anglosphere food terminology disagreements has to do with "the whole widget" vs "the key ingredient".

So like Americans have the concept of "sausage" versus "a sausage", to distinguish between the material and the finished tube-like object. That's all it is.

Whereas Australians use the term "chicken burger" to describe what we would call "chicken sandwich". To us, it's not a "burger" because it doesn't contain hamburger; whereas to Australians "burger" is a term that means the whole widget with a bun and meat. (Makes me wonder whether Australians think a hamburger has ham in it lol)

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Americans are so loving desperate to create a food culture out of complete garbage.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

Americans are so loving desperate to create a food culture out of complete garbage.

:goonsay:

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Zipperelli. posted:

Dude, try it once. Get the Publix hot and mild, mix them and go nuts. It's delicious, I promise.

I tried this accidentally once, it was awful.

Not as bad as the I was served biscuits and gravy with cilantro in it. And I like cilantro.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Roll call cilantro soap tasting gene havers

(actually please for the love of god no)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Seems one of the commonest sources of anglosphere food terminology disagreements has to do with "the whole widget" vs "the key ingredient".

So like Americans have the concept of "sausage" versus "a sausage", to distinguish between the material and the finished tube-like object. That's all it is.

Whereas Australians use the term "chicken burger" to describe what we would call "chicken sandwich". To us, it's not a "burger" because it doesn't contain hamburger; whereas to Australians "burger" is a term that means the whole widget with a bun and meat. (Makes me wonder whether Australians think a hamburger has ham in it lol)

Wait wait wait. Does that mean Australians would consider a sloppy joe a burger?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Randaconda posted:

It's tiggum, it's what he does about basically everything.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's tiggum, it's what he does about basically everything.

I don't ordinarily doxx people but

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Data Graham posted:

In Australia we have caseless sausages called chevups or chevapi. It's similar to the earlier pic of a pile of meat mix, but just formed into sausage shape. But if tiggum hasn't heard of passata or sugo from Italy when referring to plain tomato sauce, what hope of him hearing about some name of skinless/caseless sausage meat from the Balkans even if it's used everywhere in Australia?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait wait wait. Does that mean Australians would consider a sloppy joe a burger?

Loose meat sandwich (rosanne taught us that). No we don't have the commercial sloppy joe mix product to make them with. Usually use a bolognese sauce.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fo3 posted:

Ever had a sausage and egg mcmuffin? Surely you have. Did you get stroppy and demand a refund?
What do you do when a sausage splits on the barbie? Panic and feel the need to make up some new name?

Sausage is the meat mix, pretty simple. Mince (or ground) meat is just the meat only. Sausage is herbs, salt, and other stuff added (like extra fat, bread, binders etc). I haven't even seen sausage meat in plain caseless ground form like pictured in Australia, but I know what sausage/sausage meat is and can accept it and move on.
I was responding to someone who said "that's not mince, it's sausage". I was the one saying "it's both, it's a regional difference in terminology". You are trying to convince me of the exact loving point that I was making.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also why is "mince" meat but "mincemeat" is fruit lmao

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Fo3 posted:

Loose meat sandwich (rosanne taught us that). No we don't have the commercial sloppy joe mix product to make them with. Usually use a bolognese sauce.

Roseanne's affection for loose meat sandwiches was no mere affectation:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Tiggum posted:

I was responding to someone who said "that's not mince, it's sausage". I was the one saying "it's both, it's a regional difference in terminology". You are trying to convince me of the exact loving point that I was making.
It's not both, it's not a regional difference.
I'd be pissed off if half the mince I bought was bread/cereal and binders if I wanted just minced/ground pure beef.
As soon as you add salt, herbs, binders and fillers then you don't have mince. You have sausage/sausage meat, rissole, meatball, kofta etc. Whether it looks like mince in a pack or is not in a case/skin, whatever. The regional difference is that they call a handful of loose mixed stuff 'sausage', but we would called it chevaps or rissole meat or something

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Nov 17, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
can somebody tell me what a pudding is

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Pastry of the Year posted:

I don't ordinarily doxx people but

rude

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I had this in my pocket for the GBA deviantart thread but you just said the magic word

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fo3 posted:

Making the actual sauce is easy. It's basically just ketchup, worcestershire sauce, mustard, and garlic all simmered together. Just dump that onto ground beef, onions, and diced up green peppers. Boom. Sloppy Joes.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I had this in my pocket for the GBA deviantart thread but you just said the magic word

I have questions I'm not sure I want answers to.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Roseanne's affection for loose meat sandwiches was no mere affectation:

It's my understanding that loose meat sandwiches are just browned hamburger that's been washed and put on a bun. It is the Midwest in pure food form.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

I have questions I'm not sure I want answers to.

yes you do!@

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

:randstare:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What's the deal with ground up animals? If you put spicy pork in a flat pack, its sausage. But if you put ground beef in a plastic tube casing its still just ground beef.

Hell yes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Iron Crowned posted:

It's my understanding that loose meat sandwiches are just browned hamburger that's been washed and put on a bun. It is the Midwest in pure food form.

does wash have some other culinary meaning in this context

please say yes regardless of answer

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

steinrokkan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sEI1AUFJKw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Fo3 posted:

In Australia we have caseless sausages called chevups or chevapi.
Australia has wrong names for everything so this is no surprise