Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The Indy is probably one of my favorites because its ability to slap Belfasts is glorious. Lol you parked in smoke and your DD hosed off. *Loads AP and pops radar...farms citadels*

I have serious problems with the Indianapolis. I feel like if I get hit with a single shell from a destroyer I’m down to 100 HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
This is one of the possible setups for the graf zeppelin that WG is currently testing.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpineySwissJalapenoFloof

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Flagellum posted:

This is one of the possible setups for the graf zeppelin that WG is currently testing.

That sure looks likes a fun time to be in a BB.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Flagellum posted:

A AAA Kutuzov portfolio always pays dividends.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Flagellum posted:

Why the hell is the aiming circle so small? Ignoring the problem with AP bombs and bombs in general, it is really lovely that it has an aiming circle smaller than my manual Japanese carriers. It looks like my predictions are going to come true regarding how balanced it will be.

Since getting the gun upgrade on the Baltimore, I'm really starting to dig it. It still gets hosed by your pubbie BBs refusing to be any kind of threat, but I can at least rack up some damage while doing it.

HFX fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 15, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Can someone give me an overview (or point me towards one) of the pros and cons of each nation? I only have vague ideas like "US Battleships are slow and sturdy" and "UK ships have good HE when they can get it" and I've been trying to find good summaries, but with very little luck.

E: never mind I found this one, so I'm rephrasing:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/95587-navies-of-the-world-basic-nation-guide-for-new-players/

Is this still accurate? Anyone disagree with it?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 15, 2017

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I finally got my Hindenburg last night. That's the first time I've ever actually ground out a T10 in any wargaming game.

It's pretty fun.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Der Shovel posted:

Can someone give me an overview (or point me towards one) of the pros and cons of each nation? I only have vague ideas like "US Battleships are slow and sturdy" and "UK ships have good HE when they can get it" and I've been trying to find good summaries, but with very little luck.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/95587-navies-of-the-world-basic-nation-guide-for-new-players/

US Battleships are “slow and sturdy...” until Tier VIII when they become fast glass canons. Well, a little less vulnerable since the citadel changes, but still the most easily citadelable BBs.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

ZombieLenin posted:

US Battleships are “slow and sturdy...” until Tier VIII when they become fast glass canons. Well, a little less vulnerable since the citadel changes, but still the most easily citadelable BBs.

No the lowered citadels mean Japanese BBs are the easiest to citadel in general.

Also starting at tier 9 the US BBs become fast and stealthy, good for ambushing ships and disengaging from fights.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Blindeye posted:

Also starting at tier 9 the US BBs become fast and stealthy

Tier 8.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

The NC is the slowest tier 8 BB at 25 kts, but it is very stealthy, true.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Blindeye posted:

The NC is the slowest tier 8 BB at 25 kts, but it is very stealthy, true.

27.5, only half a knot slower than Monarch

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

And a hell of a lot faster than the Colorado before it.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

27.5, only half a knot slower than Monarch

Oh, forgot about the engine upgrade... I know it's the slowest, just the gap is smaller. Bismarck/Tirpitz are about 31 and the Amagi is 30, no?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Functional speed on Bismarck is more like 28-29. Takes a long time to get to max speed and you cannot turn at all

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

That guide looks pretty accurate to me.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I finally got my Hindenburg last night. That's the first time I've ever actually ground out a T10 in any wargaming game.

It's pretty fun.

It is a ridiculous ship. Absolutely ridiculous.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Def AA question: Aside from the DPS increase, does Def AA have any kind of panic effect on fighters? TBs/DBs of course get their aim hosed up, does the same happen to fighter strafes, and does it have any effect if they are just locked up in a brawl?

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Triggerhappypilot posted:

It's pretty fun.

Hindenburg is my favorite ship in the game right now, it's absolutely bonkers some of the things you can get away with in it. The only thing I dislike is the detection range being longer than some BBs, but it's a great swiss army knife of a boat.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!

Darkrenown posted:

Def AA question: Aside from the DPS increase, does Def AA have any kind of panic effect on fighters? TBs/DBs of course get their aim hosed up, does the same happen to fighter strafes, and does it have any effect if they are just locked up in a brawl?

It doesn't screw up aim. I don't think it has an effect on fighter-to-fighter dueling or the effectiveness of a strafe, so it'd mainly be to try and push the likelihood of the friendly squad to win with plane kills while they're sitting still and can't evade the aura.*

JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

I just jumped from the Mahan to the Benson and holy poo poo its a fun ship even stock. It will help fill the time while I grind myself from the T-22 to the Z-52.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

JediBlutarsky posted:

I just jumped from the Mahan to the Benson and holy poo poo its a fun ship even stock. It will help fill the time while I grind myself from the T-22 to the Z-52.

I am very weird. Love the Gearing, was meh about the Benson, and hated Fletcher.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Managed to get a bit isolated from my team in my Kaiser when our entire flank managed to melt down in the blink of an eye, leaving me to face down a damaged König, a damaged Kaiser and a full HP Orion with me down to ~60% HP. I ended up killing the lot of them, simply because the pubbies kept trying to broadside me and shot HE. I kept my nose pointed at them, fired AP and only exposed my flanks when someone was reloading and I could safely bring more guns to bear.

Sadly in the end the destroyer who had tacked himself on to the fight halfway through managed to land the fourth or fifth torpedo salvo he fired at me from a completely hidden position and I went down. Also, the game itself ended 15 seconds later so I was very close to avoiding that repair bill.

Still, it goes to show that pubbies don't exactly know how to battleship!

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Der Shovel posted:

I was very close to avoiding that repair bill.

Actually you weren't. They went to fixed repair costs a while ago.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It is strangely not common knowledge. Randoms are still convinced that they will pay repairs in proportion to the damage that they receive.

This is also one of the minor ways I delude myself whenever I look at the positions of my team on the map.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sperglord Actual posted:

Actually you weren't. They went to fixed repair costs a while ago.

That's a real good change, and it would be even better if people actually knew about it and played accordingly.

Of course that would then probably make them even more scared of taking even a SINGLE hit. I dunno, I just despair when I see my team's battleships hugging the corner of the map.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

I ... hated Fletcher.

:captainpop:

ZombieLenin posted:

I am very weird.

Confirmed.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Der Shovel posted:

Of course that would then probably make them even more scared of taking even a SINGLE hit.

You pay even if you don't take any damage. Not that it fixed the underlying problem.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ZombieLenin posted:

I am very weird. Love the Gearing, was meh about the Benson, and hated Fletcher.

how can you hate the strongest DD at tier in the game

to be honest you could say the fletcher is comparable to the gearing even

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

A Colorado, two New Yorks, a Graf Spee, a Farragut and a Murmansk blob up and rush a cap defended by an Aoba, an Akatsuki and a Kamikaze.

None survive. :puckin:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

i haven't played since march-ish of 2016, what's changed? my friend was complaining that DDs can't stealth fire (e: outside of smoke) any more, and i saw they added a billion boats, and that the game is on steam. is WoWS still rife with people using that wireframe hack, or did they manage to catch that one?

more importantly, are people happy with the game? i had few issues with it (other than blatant cheaters) when i quit, i just wanted to play other things at the time.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 18, 2017

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Tsurupettan posted:

i haven't played since march-ish of 2016, what's changed? my friend was complaining that DDs can't stealth fire (e: outside of smoke) any more, and i saw they added a billion boats, and that the game is on steam. is WoWS still rife with people using that wireframe hack, or did they manage to catch that one?

more importantly, are people happy with the game? i had few issues with it (other than blatant cheaters) when i quit, i just wanted to play other things at the time.

What's a wireframe hack, and I doubt WOWS was ever rife with it. Also I've never once seen a blatant cheater and I have nearly 5k games since closed beta.
There are lots of players that are good though.

There's no stealth fire, smoke doesn't conceal big ships very well, they added coop scenarios, campaigns to get cool stuff, and they added a billion boats including premiums you can only get with free XP i.e. Tier 9 Missouri for 750k free XP.

Oh and clans

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 18, 2017

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Hazdoc posted:

how can you hate the strongest DD at tier in the game

to be honest you could say the fletcher is comparable to the gearing even

If I had to guess, or attempt to critically analyze my own play, I think the problem was I was over reliant on Fletcher’s torpedoes. Her torpedoes just don’t have the range to play her well as a torpedo boat or even a semi-torpedo boat at her tier because of the perfusion of radar cruisers and the Missouri.

What I like about the Gearing is that I can play her as a part-time torpedo boat, and she has the maneuverability to really not be too threatened by a Shima’s torpedo wall when challenging a cap.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Tsurupettan posted:

my friend was complaining that DDs can't stealth fire

For all classes of ship, the instant you fire your main guns, your detectability range goes up to your max gun range for 20 seconds, so if there's anyone inside that you will be spotted. Stop shooting, and your stealth resets 20s later. If there was nothing in range when you fired, it resets immediately rather than in 20s.

The only kinds of stealth fire left are smoke, with some new caveats where when you fire your main guns your detectability goes out to a certain range, the larger the guns the longer the range, and with guns that shoot in high enough arcs you can still use islands to block line of site, like a Japanese rock garden.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Victor Surge posted:

What's a wireframe hack, and I doubt WOWS was ever rife with it.

have you ever played a mech game, where it paints a little reticle to 'shoot here and hit enemy mech' on the screen, as part of the game design?

the wireframe hack is that, except with more detail. any ship that is spotted will have a wireframe of their course painted in front of them, recalculated constantly for the target's speed and changes in heading. aim in that wireframe and you will hit them, barring wild changes of course. and it still provides an advantage against targets that are snaking since it makes their movements clearer at a distance.

to be clear, the wireframe is the entire ship, and it shows damaged zones, etc. so you can just adjust where on the target you want to hit with ease.

i have two irl friends that have been using this in wows for over a year without being caught for it.

Victor Surge posted:

There's no stealth fire, smoke doesn't conceal big ships very well, they added coop scenarios, campaigns to get cool stuff, and they added a billion boats including premiums you can only get with free XP i.e. Tier 9 Missouri for 750k free XP.

Oh and clans

nice, these sound good. yeah when i quit we had, uh... the full USN/IJN lines, and a single line each in germany and russia? i checked the wiki and i saw a poo poo ton of new boats so i was excited. do they still run the anime boat events?

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Well any good player can easily dodge incoming fire rendering an aim mod mostly useless and I can aim on intuition and tick marks as well as if using a mod so v0v I've never had any problems.

So the lines added are a IJN DD line split, Russian cruisers and the DD line split, British cruisers and BBs, German BBs and DDs, French cruisers, and the next patch has pan-Asian DDs. Soon is French BBs and US cruiser line split.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Tsurupettan posted:

nice, these sound good. yeah when i quit we had, uh... the full USN/IJN lines, and a single line each in germany and russia? i checked the wiki and i saw a poo poo ton of new boats so i was excited. do they still run the anime boat events?

The animu boat contract ended, so those won't be offered again, but they signed a contract with a new animu and added HSF Graf Spee and HSF Harekaze, Spee is a clone of the regular premium, Harekaze has unique gun options. Otherwise they copied over the neon Myokos that were in the Chinese server because they didn't have the animu rights there, and run them out occasionally.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Tsurupettan posted:

is WoWS still rife with people using that wireframe hack, or did they manage to catch that one?

i had few issues with it (other than blatant cheaters) when i quit

Tsurupettan posted:

i have two irl friends that have been using this in wows for over a year without being caught for it.
Cool story. I guess since your two irl friends have been using it for over a year without being caught, then maybe they haven't managed to catch that one. Also, I really hope you let them know they are blatant cheaters and part of the reason you quit whenever you are hanging out.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

how are the british lines? i like british boats and i like AP. are both lines regarded as good overall? are there any brit ships that are particular slogs to play through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Tsurupettan posted:

how are the british lines? i like british boats and i like AP. are both lines regarded as good overall? are there any brit ships that are particular slogs to play through?
Cruisers are pretty meh until you get to the T6 Leander. British cruisers are very strong in capable hands. You can pump out massive amounts of damage that just honestly gets ridiculous at T9-10. At 9, you get 2 quad launchers on each side to go with it. The heal is loving ridiculous and you get smoke. The AP absolutely melts DDs. They do require a different play style than most cruisers because of their low range and nonexistant armor. Still, A++ would recommend.

The battleships: https://clips.twitch.tv/AntediluvianSuaveBaguetteTebowing