Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

quote:

"But what I absolutely loving hate is the absolute lack of criticism on ANYTHING CIG does, from the community."
Then you are probably using an alternative internet...

Says the top comment in a post with 155 comments with a hugely negative score for the post.

We don't lack criticism in the community. We just bury it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

VictorianQueerLit posted:

This is like an elaborate and choreographed Olympic level mental gymnastics floor routine by a seasoned master.

It isn't even about what he is saying. It's about the technique and mastery in which he vaults onto tangents, backflips from things that make him wrong and spins like a top so that nobody can ever actually say he faces any one direction.

Another beautiful showing by Tarkaroshe. Stunning. He really is putting his soul into his routine and it shows.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Sabreseven posted:

Nicely driven, little bit of showboating but not so much that it slowed him down. :)

Went there about 20 years ago and stayed in a b&b in the village, one of the things I remember most was seeing a very shiny Ford Mondeo with a fart can exhaust and very low suspension (scraping everywhere) that had been blaping around the village like a tit, it went for a run around the 'ring the next day and I remember vividly hearing it from a picnic area that is quite close to the track, farting its way around one of the corners, then the sound of locked brakes and tortured tyres, then a very satisfying 'thump'.

The driver was fine if a little sore, but the Mondeo was about 3ft shorter and no longer farted anywhere. :D

Still my favourite movie filmed at Adenauer Forst on the Nurburgring Nordschleife in the 70's. It's in 4 parts but worth a watch.

Here's part 1 and the links to the other parts are in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWlF4sT0HWs

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

So what you're saying is, star citizen is good?

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Raskolnikov posted:

I may be drawing an analogy between the development of Star Citizen and car crashes, but I'm not to sure.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

Not just good but very good!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

well that takes the sherry

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

"If only there was a subreddit for me to discuss this specific individual further! ANYWAYS WE WON BECAUSE r/DS got shut down!"

IcarusUpHigh fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 17, 2017

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Who was the Goonie that was keeping track of the number of people playing the different modes?

Was wondering if Star Marine has seen a bump in numbers due to Star Wars Battlefront 2 and its loot create problem Chris Roberts masterful game design and dedication to improving it with regular patches.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Kosumo posted:

Who was the Goonie that was keeping track of the number of people playing the different modes?

Was wondering if Star Marine has seen a bump in numbers due to Star Wars Battlefront 2 and its loot create problem Chris Roberts masterful game design and dedication to improving it with regular patches.

Not sure what you meant by "regular"

https://starcitizen.tools/Star_Citizen_Alpha_2.6.3

Last patch was 7 months ago.

Checkmate goonie.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Star Citizen fans are the dumbest mother-fuckers on the planet.

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Star Citizen fans are the dumbest mother-fuckers on the planet.

I've also seen a project with 200 blockers. It imploded spectacularly, but not as spectacularly as Star Citizen is gonna implode.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/11/17/star-citizen-video-creates-new-cities/

IcarusUpHigh fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 17, 2017

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Rugganovich posted:

Still my favourite movie filmed at Adenauer Forst on the Nurburgring Nordschleife in the 70's. It's in 4 parts but worth a watch.

Here's part 1 and the links to the other parts are in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWlF4sT0HWs

One of my favorite era's of motorsport, people were tough little buggers back then. "Seatbelts? Nah, gently caress it I'll just pick the tarmac and gravel out of my scalp when I get home then splash some lemon juice on it" :D

Awesome vid although when the yellow and black Triumph Dolomite sprint rolled over I may have cried a little, it made the memories flood back, my Father had one and I learned to drive in it hehe. Thankyou for posting it and for reminding me of that awesome little car. :)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think ive started loving star citizen again. its like duke nukem forever, alien colonial marines, grimoire. total hype bullshit destined to be talked about across decades until finally ending with a dismal mvp release and a bunch of "what went wrong" retrospectives. the ultimate in videogame cautionary tales. a persistent entry at #1 for "game dev hell" clickbait articles. a parable for 2017.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Yeah but instead of some developers money down the drain it's 160 million dollars worth of nerd tears.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Chris Roberts just doesn't understand game development.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

alf_pogs posted:

i think ive started loving star citizen again. its like duke nukem forever, alien colonial marines, grimoire. total hype bullshit destined to be talked about across decades until finally ending with a dismal mvp release and a bunch of "what went wrong" retrospectives. the ultimate in videogame cautionary tales. a persistent entry at #1 for "game dev hell" clickbait articles. a parable for 2017.
It's sort of lovely and awful all at once. That whole 11/10 difficulty thing, gently caress, I've never seen stories up close of people getting scammed.

They got their confidence that what they're doing is difficult because it's going to blow their minds.
But it's going to blow their minds, and they're so jaded so intellectual so upper echelon wizened cultured game that's gotta to be difficult.

I'm familiar with friends skewering themselves on sunk cost. My friend opened a snake store! But the store didn't justify its challenges to him as part of its benefits. Some of these whales I feel like they'll be trapped forever. How many months without real progress on the 11/10 difficulty project before they finally realize? It's difficult by definition, the longer the wait, the more it'll blow their minds!

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

“I don't think there is any other game that is trying to do as much as we're trying to do. So, degree of difficulty 11, not 10.”

Everything is difficulty level 11 when you’re a dumbass. Even moreso when you’re a dumbass who sees a genius looking back at you in the mirror.

I’ve come to appreciate the true genius of “Around the Verse” and related programming isn’t in the intimate look at Development, for as we see with dozens of abandoned prior efforts and misleading disclosures over the years, the view is anything but privileged or trustworthy.

The true genius of CIG programming is in its metronomic, anondyne normalization / sanitization of their absolute, inarguable developmental dysfunction.

“Burndown” captures that spirit so perfectly, with the agreeable Eric Davis putting a friendly (if somewhat patronizing at times) face on what would otherwise be seen as salt-on-the-wound proof of CIG’s abject inability to overcome the curse of the Frankenengine, to deliver upon the hubristic claims of Chris Roberts, to prioritize the core space sim essentials (designing satisfying game loops, perfecting flight models, fleshing out those basic features pitched five years ago, etc.) and all the rest.

The Sean Tracy NewEgg livestream I dropped in earlier is the same thing. Sean went right on that show and delivered a complete fiction of the present game state with absolutely no hesitation whatsoever, just as his exemplar leader has done for years with bald-faced bullcrap like this, this, and this.

Lies. Massive lies. Constant lies. And continuum of lying so persistent and inescapable it actually becomes immersive.

Normalization of managerial deviance — and pathological public dishonesty is exactly that, CIG — is just as effectively achieved via their programming. The quote above from 10ftC delivered with benign confidence is itself an example of it. The message as delivered is, contrary to all the early bluster and constant mugging confidence, a concession of an anticipated failure to deliver on original scope promises all sugar-coated in Chris’s noxious entitlement. For though he has no plans to deliver what he originally pitched, he has expectations of perpetual subsidy from the chump army to get there, or partly there, or somewhere eventually.

And wherever he’s standing when the money finally runs out will be declared the destination. The journey itself — one of a portly goofball false prophet staggering, stumbling, gasping for breath, leading the exiles through the wilderness without map, compass, or North Star and spouting constant word of the Promised Land over yon horizon — will be declared their promised home and those still following may even believe it. Yet what Chris will no longer enjoy, and indeed what he has already lost, is control of his own narrative. The early years allowed him to project a narrative arc about himself, his game and his studio that was readily believed by most, even many goons, and his claims were repeated breathlessly as fact by the supplicant gaming press eager to amplify hype for the easy clicks.

Those days are long since behind us and they aren’t coming back. The narrative of ascent once so forceful and certain is in now very clearly in terminal decay, a slow downward spiral towards yet another cautionary gaming tale about squandered opportunities and abused trust. About the perils of trusting micromanging asset fetishists and the tragic, underappreciated virtues of proper scope design and competent project management. Chris had a chance to make history here, perhaps the most opportune chance in this history of gaming. And through deficits of both competence and character, he absolutely blew it, and the price he will pay for his hubris, deceit, greed and stupidity is that the history he could’ve written will instead be written for him.

The best he can hope for at this point is that some salvageable mediocrity survives and that he’s cast as fool in an epic tale of gaming folly. It would be a generous appraisal and it’s more truly stated that any man who profits so handsomely by lying so often for so long is a villain at heart. His only plausible defense is one he lacks the self-awareness and humility to make — that he was lying to himself the whole time, too, and because he so normalized the act of lying to himself, his employees and his backers, and because he drove away the very sorts he needed to call him out, there was no one left to correct him.

:perfect:

I wonder how differently things would have turned out had there been no grey market (ie - no ability to gift ships). How much impact have the people with a financial incentive had on CIG''s success (if 'success' is defined solely on cash raised)?

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

How many accounts exist for Star Citizen that have been created for the free fly weekends or that are duplicates/non-paying?

The claim of 86$ per person might actually be a lot higher if 1/4 to 1/3 never paid in the first place

There was also a surge in new accounts like three years ago (found it; actually over 4 years ago) when they announced that if you had a second (or third or fourth) base game package you could created a fully-customizable NPC companion character to be your copilot/wingman. IIRC theorycrafters got nervous that if their main account got banned they would lose too much, so setting up multiple accounts was en vogue for a while because they interpreted that article as an implication that you could give your stuff away and just resume play as your NPC pal.

I don't know if they ever mentioned that again, but I'm sure guys like Clifford bought a dozen new accounts to create their dream space team harem.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Wise Learned Man posted:

There was also a surge in new accounts like three years ago (found it; actually over 4 years ago) when they announced that if you had a second (or third or fourth) base game package you could created a fully-customizable NPC companion character to be your copilot/wingman. IIRC theorycrafters got nervous that if their main account got banned they would lose too much, so setting up multiple accounts was en vogue for a while because they interpreted that article as an implication that you could give your stuff away and just resume play as your NPC pal.

I don't know if they ever mentioned that again, but I'm sure guys like Clifford bought a dozen new accounts to create their dream space team harem.

haha haha this is amazing

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
Didn't want to clutter the "Historical Catalog" thread, so I wanted to thank everybody here for all the great leaks, rumors, posts and general hilarity, so far it has been a riot!

Somehow I feel that online gaming is at a point where only idiots actually play the games anymore (and pay grotesque money for it) and the real fun lies in making fun of them. Or is it just Star Citizen?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The ones people are just playing you don't hear about. There is 2.5 million people playing PUBG right now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Titanic posted:

Citizen Con 2015

:gary::gary:

:gary:

Reading this timeline now really pisses me off, primarily because I was too engrossed in Chris's bullshit to realize that he was launching a full studio less than a year before he was supposed to be delivering the game.

I wonder if he ever actually thought 2014 was going to happen, or if he was lying through his teeth from the beginning.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 17, 2017

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Read bottom to top

:thunk:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

You're really an old and stubborn person. This typo is not nearly the issue you seem to think it is.

I never said it was an issue. The previous poster did.

YOU MISSED HIS POINT.

I was POINTING it out you because you went off on an inconsequential tangent, completely oblivious to what he was actually talking about.

And furthermore.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Here's MoMA practicing for 10 for the Toast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bYY8m1Lb2I

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Toops posted:

This is what has always killed me. The evidence never lines up with their claims. Literally never. Star Citizen is a confidence scam, and before this is all said and done, it might turn out to be a ponzi scheme. Let's revisit the definition, shall we?

"A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation where the operator generates returns for older investors through revenue paid by new investors, rather than from legitimate business activities or profit of financial trading."

So, the operator here is Crobbers, and the revenue paid by new investors is the limited edition concept sales of spaceships.jpg. But what in this analogy is the returns for the older investors?

Roberts has not delivered the many many things he has promised, so it can't be in game content. The only return I see here are the refunds people are getting when they've had enough.

So either it's not a Ponzi scheme, or the refunds are, and are therefor illegal.

Came to think of it... Hey MOMA, I think I fixed your refund problem!

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Daztek posted:

Read bottom to top

lol

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/11/16/megaton-rainfall-review/

quote:

Megaton Rainfall is an awe-inspiring achievement. At first you think, “Wow, they built a planet,” before then realising, “Crikey, they built a solar system!”, before it hits you that they built a galaxy, after which it finally dawns on you you’re playing a game that contains the universe. And you can fly seamlessly all around it, observing details from the cars driving past cathedrals on Earth’s roads, to a cluster of spiral galaxies in one corner of reality. Of the cities that are scattered sporadically over the otherwise geographically familiar Earth, any single building can be obliterated, brick by brick.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daztek posted:

Read bottom to top

Holy poo poo I thought that was just a insane citizen but its a head CIG employee lol.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Holy poo poo I thought that was just a insane citizen but its a head CIG employee lol.

He dumps stuff like this on spectrum all the time and then is quick to point out he "just makes ships" :allears:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
As soon as I Tweet this, they're going to DMCA it. So grab it while it's hot off the press.

Latest stress test. Fideliteh @ 17 fps in 1080p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWw8R-C_Iqw

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz
RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz
GPU: NVidia GTX 1080 @ 2.0GHz
Display: 3440x1440 with GSync, Borderless windowed, no V-Sync

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 17, 2017

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here is a breakdown of the $15,000 COMPLETIONIST package.
AURORA CL $45 AURORA ES $20 AURORA LN $35 AURORA LX $30 AURORA LX $30 AURORA MR $25 MUSTANG ALPHA $30 MUSTANG BETA $40 MUSTANG GAMMA $55 MUSTANG DELTA $65 MUSTANG DELTA $65 350R RACER $125 350R RACER $125 325A FIGHTER $70 315P EXPLORER $65 300I $55 HORNET F7C $110 F7C-M SUPER HORNET $180 F7C-M SUPER HORNET $180 F7C-S HORNET GHOST $125 F7C-R HORNET TRACKER $140 CUTLASS BLUE $150 CUTLASS BLUE $150 CUTLASS RED $120 CUTLASS BLACK $100 FREELANCER $110 FREELANCER MIS $165 FREELANCER MIS $165 FREELANCER DUR $125 FREELANCER MAX $140 AVENGER STALKER $60 GLADIUS $90 REDEEMER $250 RECLAIMER $350 RECLAIMER $350 CONSTELLATION ANDROMEDA $225 CONSTELLATION PHOENIX $350 CONSTELLATION PHOENIX $350 CONSTELLATION AQUILA $275 CONSTELLATION TAURUS $150 IDRIS-P FRIGATE $1250 HERALD $85 HERALD $85 M50 $100 M50 $100 XI'AN KHARTU-AL $170 XI'AN KHARTU-AL $170 GLADIATOR $165 GLADIATOR $165 STARFARER $360 STARFARER $360 CATERPILLAR $295 CATERPILLAR$295 BANU MERCHANTMAN $350 BANU MERCHANTMAN $350 RETALIATOR BOMBER $275 RETALIATOR BOMBER $275 890 JUMP $890 890 JUMP $890 CARRACK $350 CARRACK$350 IDRIS-M FRIGATE $1000 CAPTURED VANDUUL SCYTHE $300 RSI ORION $325 HULL C $200 AEGIS VANGUARD WARDEN $250
Total: $14,696
So if you spend $15,000 on the completionist you will lose $304.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also the COMPLETIONIST is only like half of the ships they've made.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Daztek posted:

Read bottom to top

Why the gently caress has no one figured out that buying UEC at a fixed rate is nothing like buying an in-game item which has monetary value. If they can't figure out why it's a bad idea within a couple of minutes, they shouldn't be making an MMO.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

As soon as I Tweet this, they're going to DMCA it. So grab it while it's hot off the press.

Latest stress test. Fideliteh @ 17 fps in 1080p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWw8R-C_Iqw

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz
RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz
GPU: NVidia GTX 1080 @ 2.0GHz
Display: 3440x1440 with GSync, Borderless windowed, no V-Sync

You can really feel the G Sync kicking in yo to maintain a steady 5 fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Here is a breakdown of the $15,000 COMPLETIONIST package.
AURORA CL $45 AURORA ES $20 AURORA LN $35 AURORA LX $30 AURORA LX $30 AURORA MR $25 MUSTANG ALPHA $30 MUSTANG BETA $40 MUSTANG GAMMA $55 MUSTANG DELTA $65 MUSTANG DELTA $65 350R RACER $125 350R RACER $125 325A FIGHTER $70 315P EXPLORER $65 300I $55 HORNET F7C $110 F7C-M SUPER HORNET $180 F7C-M SUPER HORNET $180 F7C-S HORNET GHOST $125 F7C-R HORNET TRACKER $140 CUTLASS BLUE $150 CUTLASS BLUE $150 CUTLASS RED $120 CUTLASS BLACK $100 FREELANCER $110 FREELANCER MIS $165 FREELANCER MIS $165 FREELANCER DUR $125 FREELANCER MAX $140 AVENGER STALKER $60 GLADIUS $90 REDEEMER $250 RECLAIMER $350 RECLAIMER $350 CONSTELLATION ANDROMEDA $225 CONSTELLATION PHOENIX $350 CONSTELLATION PHOENIX $350 CONSTELLATION AQUILA $275 CONSTELLATION TAURUS $150 IDRIS-P FRIGATE $1250 HERALD $85 HERALD $85 M50 $100 M50 $100 XI'AN KHARTU-AL $170 XI'AN KHARTU-AL $170 GLADIATOR $165 GLADIATOR $165 STARFARER $360 STARFARER $360 CATERPILLAR $295 CATERPILLAR$295 BANU MERCHANTMAN $350 BANU MERCHANTMAN $350 RETALIATOR BOMBER $275 RETALIATOR BOMBER $275 890 JUMP $890 890 JUMP $890 CARRACK $350 CARRACK$350 IDRIS-M FRIGATE $1000 CAPTURED VANDUUL SCYTHE $300 RSI ORION $325 HULL C $200 AEGIS VANGUARD WARDEN $250
Total: $14,696
So if you spend $15,000 on the completionist you will lose $304.

This is so star citizen. It's a pledge!
The end user just wanted to provide $304 more dollars of support!