Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kenzie posted:

I disagree, the key word being gameplay here. The unit graphics in Warhammer certainly look a lot different from the other games, but the basic gameplay and tactics are not really that different. Most units are just basic blocks of troops that form line, crash into each other and start hitting each other until hit points and morale go down, just like any other game. The AI is pretty much the same. Flying units are not much more than fast moving cavalry that can go over enemy units. Otherwise they're the same as any other. Giants and monsters are just units with more hit points. The biggest difference would probably be with spell-casting.

Pike and shot warfare though? You start getting really weird looking formations with entirely different dynamics, like the four-cornered tercios:

Pike and shot warfare is about groups of skirmishers who retreat inside of hollow pike squares whenever threatened by cavalry. The pikes were usually not used to fight, but were there as a deterrent, to protect the shooters, with a standard unit being around 2/3rds shot and 1/3rd pike. Swordsmen would also hide inside the pike squares and launch sorties outside of them every now and then. You can do this in Total War, but it involves clicking on every individual gunpowder or sword unit one by one and moving them inside of a separate pike unit manually, and it would be impossible and horribly tedious to keep moving them back and forth inside and outside of their pike protection over and over again in a large battle. And there's no way they could get the AI to do that intelligently.

A traditional Total War battle, including Warhammer, is all about hammer and anvil flanking tactics, with infantry in line and cav on the flanks, but in pike and shot warfare, this was often not the case, as each pike and shot unit could protect its own flanks as a self-contained combined arms unit. Army formations in the pike and shot era got to be very complicated, with deep, staggered checker-board formations with alternating infantry and cavalry instead of lines. The tactics are entirely different from anything in any Total War game.

To make a good pike and shot game at the Total War scale, it would require a pretty big reworking of the battle engine, so that the gunpowder and pike troops can be integrated together into a single mixed unit. And this is in a game series where you're lucky if the AI pikemen can even point their pikes in the right direction at all.

Well, units in the pike and shot era while they operated together weren't really completely mixed together. Pikemen and arquebusiers actually mostly fought in separate detachments that covered each other rather than being mixed together in alternating ranks or anything. Actually a kind of good representation is the whole detachment system that the Empire had in the Warhammer Fantasy tabletop game.

This is perhaps a much better picture of a formation (Maurician I think, that is the style pioneered by the Dutch) typical of pike and shot in the 17th century.

Something like this is actually a pretty fun formation to use as the Empire in Total War Warhammer, though not the most opitmal of plays.

Cavalry was also very important in the pike and shot era, both in the Thirty Years War and in wars such as the English Civil War. Though they required alot of finesse and skill to be truly effective, but were still devastating when used effectively. So the hammer and anvil isn't completely gone.

Some kind of function where you can bind units together in formations and maybe this gives you boosts and special behaviors depending on the makeup of the unit might be interesting and the way to go rather than having straight mixed units. That way the player could experiment with what mix of shot and pike (and cavalry) works well for a given situation rather than just be tied to pre-set mixed unit.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Randarkman posted:

Well, units in the pike and shot era while they operated together, weren't really completely mixed together. Pikemen and arquebusiers actually mostly fought in separate detachments that covered each other rather than beign mixed together in alternating ranks or anything. Actually a kind of good representation is the whole detachment system that the Empire had in Warhammer Fantasy Battles tabeltop game.

This is perhaps a much better picture of a formation (Maurician I think, that is the style pioneered by the Dutch) typical of pike and shot in the 17th century.

Something like this is actually a pretty fun formation to use as the Empire in Total War Warhammer, though not the most opitmal of plays.

Cavalry was also very important in the pike and shot era, both in the Thirty Years War and in wars such as the English Civil War. Though they required alot of finesse and skill to be truly effective, but were still devastating when used effectively. So the hammer and anvil isn't completely gone.

Some kind of function where you can bind units together in formations and maybe this gives you boosts and special behaviors depending on the makeup of the unit might be interesting and the way to go rather than having straight mixed units. That way the player could experiment with what mix of shot and pike (and cavalry) works well for a given situation rather than just be tied to pre-set mixed unit.

I never said the pikes and guns were totally mixed together in alternating ranks or anything. The four-cornered tercio I posted has the gunners in separate detachments on each corner. I just said they would retreat behind their pikes when threatened. Cavalry was obviously important, as it always is, just the role was not always the same. There were a lot of different formations they used. From the wiki article on tercios:

quote:

Groups of tercios were typically arrayed in dragon-toothed formation (staggered, with the leading edge of one unit level with the trailing edge of the preceding unit; see the similar hedgehog defense concept). This enabled enfilade lines of fire and somewhat defiladed the army units themselves. Odd units alternated with even units, respectively one forward and one back, providing gaps for an unwary enemy to enter and outflank itself, where it would become subjected to the combined direct and raking cross fire from the guns of three separate tercios. From their inception, tercio formations were meant to co-ordinate their field operations with cavalry.

I'm sure the Warhammer tabletop game might have good rules about this kind of thing, I've never played it though. The game Pike and Shot handles it really well, but that's also pretty much a board game. You can have separate detachments of shot with no pikes, and they are still considered "protected" if they have a friendly cav unit adjacent to them, and they will get a huge bonus if charged. Total War is so different though.

A human player can micromanage every unit in his army and make complex formations, but I wonder how they can make the AI do it and be even remotely a challenge. The warfare in all the other TW games is simple by comparison. The linear warfare of the Empire:TW era was just guys in long lines shooting each other, and the AI was horrible at it. With the TW games as they are now, if you had an AI pike and shot army with 2/3rds shot and 1/3rd pike, the player could just make a cav-heavy army and run down all the AI shot units with barely any resistance, running circles around the slow AI pikemen. There would have to be some mechanic for the AI to automatically hide their guns inside of their pike squares.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Total War would benefit from more individual unit AI in general. It’d be nice if units wheel, charge, fall back, etc on their own without standing orders to do otherwise, especially in 40-unit battles. No more just standing and eating a rear charge or a bazillion arrow volleys when there’s nothing else going on.

I played this ACW game way back with a system I liked. Individual units would do basic survival stuff on their own, like wheeling to meet a flanker if no one was in front of them. Then you could select a group and tell them to passively hold, defend but they’re allowed room to move, probe, or commit to a full attack. Microing was still optimal but the AI would act on its own if your attention was elsewhere, so it felt like your units had officers and ncos interested in winning and not dying instead of all being robots. They’d also do stuff like fall back to cover before routing completely, or advancing if they were trouncing the enemy without “hold” orders

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 16, 2017

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Total War would benefit from more individual unit AI in general. It’d be nice if units wheel, charge, fall back, etc on their own without standing orders to do otherwise, especially in 40-unit battles. No more just standing and eating a rear charge or a bazillion arrow volleys when there’s nothing else going on.

I played this ACW game way back with a system I liked. Individual units would do basic survival stuff on their own, like wheeling to meet a flanker if no one was in front of them. Then you could select a group and tell them to passively hold, defend but they’re allowed room to move, probe, or commit to a full attack. Microing was still optimal but the AI would act on its own if your attention was elsewhere, so it felt like your units had officers and ncos interested in winning and not dying instead of all being robots. They’d also do stuff like fall back to cover before routing completely, or advancing if they were trouncing the enemy without “hold” orders

Units doing stuff on their own gives me flashbacks to my knights deciding the best thing to do is charge right into the front of a scottish pike line in M2 because MUST KILL SCOTS! I'd be all for it again, as long as it was actually intelligent and not just hellbent on murdering every scot in existence.

nessin posted:

Wrong? About what? I explicitly said in the very quote you used in your post that the Vikings existing in Britain. What amazing history am I missing here?

The fact it's pretty well known and lasted a while? This isn't a mini-campaign based off of a war that lasted a few months, only killed a few thousand men and also is entirely unknown outside of Japan like the Boshin war (The Last Samurai was set during the Satsuma Rebellion), but that's the scale they're aiming for here. Besides, the average person's grasp of history is pretty abysmal anyway and the fact it involves vikings in any way means it isn't obscure to the average person, it's not like they're going in and being disappointed that it isn't about the Vikings in Normandy, or their permanent base in Spain, or the Varangians basically appearing everywhere in the East.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I honestly do not get this, it's brought up now and again but you're talking about taking away the point of the battle engine to handhold the player. AI already does react on its own to a degree - a unit flanked will slowly turn to face their aggressor if not otherwise engaged.

How the UI handles large unit count battles us absolutely a valid criticism - TWs sliver-thin unit cards are abysmal, and Attilas multi-page method is slightly better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think that mixed units would be possible given the success of Warhammer. Skarsnik and Gobbla are a single unit but one is a caster and the other is melee. I could see something similar happen with musket and pike.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Don Gato posted:

The fact it's pretty well known and lasted a while? This isn't a mini-campaign based off of a war that lasted a few months, only killed a few thousand men and also is entirely unknown outside of Japan like the Boshin war (The Last Samurai was set during the Satsuma Rebellion), but that's the scale they're aiming for here. Besides, the average person's grasp of history is pretty abysmal anyway and the fact it involves vikings in any way means it isn't obscure to the average person, it's not like they're going in and being disappointed that it isn't about the Vikings in Normandy, or their permanent base in Spain, or the Varangians basically appearing everywhere in the East.

The Sengoku era lasted for about 150 years. The army sizes are estimated/written in the era to be anywhere from 10k to over 100k at certain points. Most estimates for the conflicts in Britain across this period are from a few hundred to less than 10k at most, and that is really stretching the limits of credulity. Even the Battle of Hastings was only estimated at 25k-ish at the top end, and that's when you've got the entire collected forces of southern Britain plus a foreign army.

And I didn't bring up the movie or any other cultural reference, but if you want to go down that route then you're casually discounting a large number of games that get passed around in East Asia that reference the Sengoku period (notably the ROTK and Dynasty Warrior variants) and the absolute poo poo load of media (movies, books, tv shows, whatever) about the time period. Granted a lot of them don't make it English or European languages, but considering most them at least make it into Chinese, Korean, and the various South East Asian languages your basic premise is somewhere between elitist and ignorant.

nessin fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 16, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah, really weird that English developer Creative Assembly chose to set a game in England

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
how would you even represent the 30 years war properly, in terms of armies? Would mercenary companies be like horde factions that you pay to fight? Mercenary companies could and did switch sides a lot, and my impression is that they were paid in both actual cash and whatever they could loot.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think that mixed units would be possible given the success of Warhammer. Skarsnik and Gobbla are a single unit but one is a caster and the other is melee. I could see something similar happen with musket and pike.

Is that really the same thing though? Skarsnik isn't really a caster so much as a bad melee character, his only spells are the bound buffs his items have. Both models are still fundamentally both melee characters.

Calm down, I know about how much media is made in Asia about things like the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, the Sengoku era and more, I assumed it was pretty obvious I was talking about western media seeing as I'm not in a slapfight on Weibo, no need to be so hostile and call me names. I was just saying that scale of the war really doesn't mean much, which went right over your head. A grand total of 8000 people died in the Boshin War and it lasted a whopping year, but Fall of the Samurai is still my second favorite Total War game behind Warhammer 2 due to how fun the mechanics are. Vikings in England adds the huge area of the Danelaw, notable characters and vikings in one of their most famous conquests, with ready made factions that the realm would be divided into and a ton of potential to be developed.

Actually that gave me an interesting idea, would it be possible to port the allegiance from FotS into this new Viking game? It wouldn't be 100% historical, of course, but representing how many people have immigrated to your territory, with the more elite units locked behind having a certain number of people of your culture in a province could probably work pretty well.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Don Gato posted:

Actually that gave me an interesting idea, would it be possible to port the allegiance from FotS into this new Viking game? It wouldn't be 100% historical, of course, but representing how many people have immigrated to your territory, with the more elite units locked behind having a certain number of people of your culture in a province could probably work pretty well.

Yeah that's sort of interesting. I can't help but think that it would be clunky and gross like the culture conversion mechanic in Rome 2 or the religion conversion mechanic in Shogun

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Skarsnik and Gobbla are technically a single entity in the game; they're basically a Skaven weapon team. There's a Shogun 2 mod out there that mixed guns and long spears to an astonishingly effective degree IIRC.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nessin posted:

And I didn't bring up the movie or any other cultural reference, but if you want to go down that route then you're casually discounting a large number of games that get passed around in East Asia that reference the Sengoku period (notably the ROTK and Dynasty Warrior variants) and the absolute poo poo load of media (movies, books, tv shows, whatever) about the time period. Granted a lot of them don't make it English or European languages, but considering most them at least make it into Chinese, Korean, and the various South East Asian languages your basic premise is somewhere between elitist and ignorant.

Total War: Warhammer was the first TW localized to Chinese and you can't even buy Shogun 2 from Japanese Steam, nor are any of their games translated to Japanese, CA has been making games for the western market for its entire existence, Shogun included.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Don Gato posted:

how would you even represent the 30 years war properly, in terms of armies? Would mercenary companies be like horde factions that you pay to fight? Mercenary companies could and did switch sides a lot, and my impression is that they were paid in both actual cash and whatever they could loot.

It would be impossible to simulate without being extremely frustrating. All activities basically stopping in winter time, having to find your troops during spring or recruting fresh troops again, looting villages that have already been looted, beating the crap and almost winning the war only for another foreign interference brings it all back to square one. Your emperor is a dolt and destroys an almost agreed upon peace settlement. You end the game with a status quo treaty and 10000 florins in the negatives.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
“Ugh, this period had extremely small armies. Why, at the battle of Sceathacierscyr, Gunlĺrdr Spyrggissen fielded only 2000 men! Get real CA.”-the averag consumer

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mans posted:

It would be impossible to simulate without being extremely frustrating. All activities basically stopping in winter time, having to find your troops during spring or recruting fresh troops again, looting villages that have already been looted, beating the crap and almost winning the war only for another foreign interference brings it all back to square one. Your emperor is a dolt and destroys an almost agreed upon peace settlement. You end the game with a status quo treaty and 10000 florins in the negatives.

Yes because TW games have always appropriately modelled the seasons or politics of the era.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wait, are you telling me that there haven't even been massive standing armies throughout all of history?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I'm really happy about this because I loved Viking Invasion and just want to raise the fyrd and get slaughtered by Danes like I did in that game.

E: and have my archers yell "intendite" when they aim.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yes because TW games have always appropriately modelled the seasons or politics of the era.

Help, im playing rome but i can only recruit 10 legion units in my stack before i have to make crappy auxiliaries, my general keeps getting replaced every year and i have to dishand my stacks every winter so i cant fight outside of italy

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Help, im playing rome but i can only recruit 10 legion units in my stack before i have to make crappy auxiliaries, my general keeps getting replaced every year and i have to dishand my stacks every winter so i cant fight outside of italy

The solution is to storm the Senate and declare yourself emperor, then you can hire 12 legion units. You've got to successfully siege Neptune for the next plus two bonus.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Don Gato posted:

Yeah this reminds me, an interesting part of that war was the merc armies like Mansfield's early in the war that would go for long periods without any employer. The commander would go off spending weeks and months at a time visiting other countries to find new contracts, but his army was left behind camped out in the countryside. The army couldn't just sit there and sustain itself indefinitely without pay, so they would start raping and pillaging the countryside until someone paid them to go away or point them towards an enemy to fight. So you would have this weird situation with a powerful army just sitting there as a blight on the landscape, and no one would want to pay the huge amount of money to hire them, and no one could attack them either. So the local civilians in the area were the ones who got hosed over instead.

Something like that in a Total War campaign map would either be hilarious or annoying as gently caress to deal with.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That sounds like Take Command: 2nd Manassas. Or Scourge of War: Gettysburg or Waterloo made by the same dev. I was attracted to those games since they looked like Total War but more grognard-ish and with a much larger scale. You could have the whole 100,000 man Army of the Potomac down to the regimental level, but it would be impossible to command all those units yourself, so you would have to delegate some authority to AI division and brigade commanders running around on the map, each with their own personalities. One AI sub-commander might be bold and aggressive, prone to sending his brigade on dumb frontal attacks, while another might be overly timid and cautious, keeping his unit in reserve even when its badly needed at the front. With dozens of these sub-generals, it would lead to big clusterfuck battles with a lot of unpredictability.

Something like that in Total War would be awesome in my opinion. Not that every unit would be AI controlled, but having the option to turn it on would be nice. Like instead of one general, you would have a few of them, and you could detach a few units from your main battle line, group them together under a sub-general, and tell him to watch your flank for you. I think the battles in Total War have too much clicking and micromanagement as it is, but that's just me.

Like how in Warhammer, you have your little wizards and hero units that level up and get skills and XP. They should make it so you can give them their own little brigade to command as well. That would be badass.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I do think it'll be really cool to focus on a smaller conflict because the game can handle historically accurate numbers for once

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Mans posted:

I wouldn't mind an open-ended TW game where you get points for looting, winning fights and converting provinces' lords to your cause until all that is left is a ruined hellscape and you fight over scraps to get +10 points to eke out a high score. Make it as chaotic and frantic as possible over the course of, say, 60 turns, and make it more volatile and less formulaic so every time you play weird, wacky poo poo happens.

Hell, you could make the mercenary companies playable as well, working like non-sedentary hordes or something.

Just a quick bout of "everyone attacks everyone" thunderdome that takes a few hours to play through.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Making the game require victory conditions other than painting the map, and jacking up raiding income and unit maintenance while also making raiding permanently lower province wealth would do a decent simulation of the period without changing the game too much

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Deltasquid posted:

I wouldn't mind an open-ended TW game where you get points for looting, winning fights and converting provinces' lords to your cause until all that is left is a ruined hellscape and you fight over scraps to get +10 points to eke out a high score. Make it as chaotic and frantic as possible over the course of, say, 60 turns, and make it more volatile and less formulaic so every time you play weird, wacky poo poo happens.

I mean, the first part of this sounds basically like playing the Huns in Attila

and it owns, as you'd expect

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the thirty years war seems ripe for a total war sagas game imo. the map would focus on central europe, with just enough space to include parts of sweden, france and poland who would function as glorified off-maps ala the mongols in m2.

strategically, diplomacy would be extremely fluid and it would be fairly easy for factions to drop out of the war and return later, potentially on a different side. the emperor would function similarly to the papacy in m2. mercenaries would be playable and function similarly to attila hordes. the end goal would be dominance of your coalition, smoothing out the complexities other posters have raised. there’d be space for a beefed up war exhaustion system from charlemagne.

there would be a fairly limited number of units but that was well received in shogun and would work well given the sagas games seem intended to require less dev work than a full game.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

On the other hand, the AI fare a lot better if it could fight like like historical Rome. Lose 20 battles in a row, raise a new massive army each time, then barely win 1 battle and take over another quarter of the Mediterranean.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

New Butt Order posted:

On the other hand, the AI fare a lot better if it could fight like like historical Rome. Lose 20 battles in a row, raise a new massive army each time, then barely win 1 battle and take over another quarter of the Mediterranean.

I just wish AI Rome wouldn't field all-triarii stacks. MY IMMERSION

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I posted a few days ago asking for mod recs for Rome 2. Now I'm gonna ask the same question for Attila and, gently caress it, Shogun as well, because apparently I'm on a deep dive on all the Total Wars I missed after Medieval 2 and the steam workshop UI isn't great for sorting through the chaff

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I just wish AI Rome wouldn't field all-triarii stacks. MY IMMERSION

One of the reasons I stopped playing Rome 2 was meeting the big celt confederation and seeing all their stacks had 10 oathsworn 10 elite skirmishers

TW is better when weird army composition means that enemies actually have weak points and strong points.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

issa joke

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mans posted:

issa joke

:same:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Best and worst part of europa barbarorum is seeing AI armies with emergency merc units scattered amongst so youll be fighting "arabian slingers" in greece because the seleucid army ur fighting came up from syria to throw itself at your forces. Bad because the infinite ai money meant they could do this at whim, good because you would keep meeting weird-rear end armies with different units in them no matter who u were fighting

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In DeI I like how the RoRs keep things more interesting. Like as Carthage I liberated a gallic faction in Ariminum who went on to take all of Latium, and when they finally turned on me, they had a lot of italian units as well as gallic ones. My armies have a lot of italians and sicilians, massalian hoplites, etc in addition to iberians and libyans because I took Italy and southern Gaul. I wish there were computers powerful enough to generate unit developments on the fly, like my gallo-italian kingdom could adopt units of gallic infantry fighting in a pseudo-polybian style.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In DeI I like how the RoRs keep things more interesting. Like as Carthage I liberated a gallic faction in Ariminum who went on to take all of Latium, and when they finally turned on me, they had a lot of italian units as well as gallic ones. My armies have a lot of italians and sicilians, massalian hoplites, etc in addition to iberians and libyans because I took Italy and southern Gaul. I wish there were computers powerful enough to generate unit developments on the fly, like my gallo-italian kingdom could adopt units of gallic infantry fighting in a pseudo-polybian style.

This is my favorite thing about DEI so far, I've got romanized Cretan archers and Macedonian cohorts running around in one of my armies, alongside some Italian heavy infantry and all sorts of different kinds of cavalry units that are spread around my empire.

I have also been able to recruit a bunch of different kinds of units that I haven't tried yet if only because I've got no idea what they actually are because the names are entirely gibberish.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Tarezax posted:

Excuse me, that's the Boshin War era

Last Samurai is actually the Satsuma Rebellion which occurs after one one of the western island clans decide to the new emperor can gently caress himself and demand him to 'try and take our swords, bro'.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
With the new Templar series airing soon I hope we get a saga based on the crusades and the siege of Jerusalem. Richard the lionheart and Saladin would be perfect for a saga title.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You already have a kicking rad medieval campaign about it so yeah, if they want to touch boring britain in the Saga franchise they should definitely play with the crusades too.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

You already have a kicking rad medieval campaign about it so yeah, if they want to touch boring britain in the Saga franchise they should definitely play with the crusades too.

Only if I can double down on the greek fire like the original sub-campaign. I want to mend the Great Schism via holy fire again but with modern graphics.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They need to redo Americas with a mechanic like in FotS where you can ally with one of the european powers and modernize as a native state. Be the Aztecs, convert to protestantism, and laugh your way to Sevilla with english ships and muskets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
I haven't played a Total War game since Shogun 2, which I kind of disliked because everything felt repetitive and simplistic. I wanted to get Rome 2, but as I recall the release was really freaking bad. Has everything been fixed with Rome 2, and is it worth 60 dollars? Or am I better off with one of the Warhammer ones or Attila?