Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

curried lamb of God posted:

M4/3 lens prices are kind of weird. A lot of lenses are seemingly overpriced vs. a comparable DSLR lens (i.e. $400 for the Olympus 25/1.8 vs $125 for the Canon nifty fifty), especially given that they contain less glass to cover a smaller sensor. On the other hand, a lot of these lenses are very sharp without having to stop down, and the build quality is very solid.

That's actually not weird. Relatively slow 50mm lenses are dirt cheap to make. On the other hand fast wide angle glass is not, even if it only has to cover mft a 25mm will always be more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I have to say on the whole I've been super happy with Olympus glass, even the more expensive stuff. I've shot a lot of it wide open with no issues.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The Panasonic 25mm 1.7 is $250 and often drops down to $150

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Finally pulled the trigger on ordering the XF 50mm f/2 WR. Amazon.ca finally restocked in silver today (my X-T20 is silver also) and I took it as a sign. Thanks for putting up with my hemming and hawing over my first X-lens, thread, but it was really helpful in narrowing things down for me.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Kenny Logins posted:

Finally pulled the trigger on ordering the XF 50mm f/2 WR. Amazon.ca finally restocked in silver today (my X-T20 is silver also) and I took it as a sign. Thanks for putting up with my hemming and hawing over my first X-lens, thread, but it was really helpful in narrowing things down for me.

It's such a good lens, I absolutely love mine.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

sildargod posted:

It's such a good lens, I absolutely love mine.
I got it delivered today (from Amazon.ca), but looks like the lens hood and cloth wrapping are missing. I'm following up with Fujifilm Canada to see if they can just send them instead of having to do a return. Any fellow Canadians have any good Fuji customer service experience along these lines?

E: Got an email back within 45 minutes. Encouraging.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 15, 2017

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Hey Fuji peeps, Massdrop is currently offering the Fujifilm XF 16mm f1.4 R WR at $849.99 with free shipping in the USA, $50 less than the current on sale price and only $20 more than most used prices that dont seem like probably scams (looking at you $750 ebay listing with no seller feedback).

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fujifi...210819270793617

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Just ordered the 25mm f/1.2 because I Can Quit Prime Lenses Anytime I Want

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm thinking of getting an Fuji XF 35mm f/2, mostly for gig photography. My 18-55mm kit isn't fast enough in low light, even with the ISO cranked up to 6400 on my X-T1. I figured that focal length is good because I could use it as a general-purpose lens (I also do a bit of portraiture). But then I wonder if 23mm is a better focal length...

I *may* get both in the future but for this year's lens purchase, help me pick one? Still leaning on 35mm because it's cheaper over here.

I've done the exercise where I'd keep my zoom on a specific length for a day so I'm pretty comfy with both.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 16, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm thinking of getting an Fuji XF 35mm f/2, mostly for gig photography. My 18-55mm kit isn't fast enough in low light, even with the ISO cranked up to 6400 on my X-T1. I figured that focal length is good because I could use it as a general-purpose lens (I also do a bit of portraiture). But then I wonder if 23mm is a better focal length...

I *may* get both in the future but for this year's lens purchase, help me pick one? Still leaning on 35mm because it's cheaper over here.

I've done the exercise where I'd keep my zoom on a specific length for a day so I'm pretty comfy with both.

You can crop in to mimic what you can get from the 35 with the 23 but you can’t get a wider shot without walking backwards with the 35, so that is worth considering. 50mm equivalent is a great jack of all trades focal length but it is kind of boring too, at least for me to shoot with. I love the 35 f2 because it is a great lens but I don’t use it nearly as much as the 23 or 56 which I use all the time.

So if you think that you will be needing wider shots then go with the 23. If not then go for the 35. They are both great lenses so it purely depends on your usage. If I had to choose one forever I would choose the 23 because I just get a lot of use from the 35mm equivalent - you can just do so much with it and the main limitation is having to work to get head and shoulder portraits with it due to distortion but if you had to you could shoot further back and then crop to not have that distortion and get all of the goodness of the other aspects of shooting with the 23.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I think if you are gonna just get one prime the 35 is a good choice. If you plan on picking up something longer eventually like the 56 or 50 then get the 23.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I've heard back from Fuji Canada and they're going to be sending the lens hood (and cloth wrapping) along, no problem. Happy about that.

I took the XF 50mm f/2 for a spin last night and it's really nice. Having two full stops of extra light from the kit 18-55 really makes a difference, and the autofocus is fast and quiet. Managed to get some nice baby shots in a dark room between two table lamps, even. Having the OIS is nice and all on the 18-55 but having the faster shutter speed for a constantly squirming/flailing subject can't be beat.

I think I'm going to get a lot of use out of this lens.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo the 25mm f/1.2 owns owns owns. Focuses fast as hell. Balances surprisingly well with the EM1 body without the battery grip. I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of testing this out.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Did you buy one or are you just renting? Either way, jealous.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GEMorris posted:

Did you buy one or are you just renting? Either way, jealous.

Bought it. I'm taking it out this weekend and will put up some examples when I can.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

test some dog pics tia

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

test some dog catte pics tia

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah, gonna get hella winston pictures with it

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

test some dick dog catte pics tia

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CATTE

BRW60372 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW60358 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW60363 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
The fuzziest, pinkest catte toes! :3:

He's a Maine Coon cross, isn't he?

Also, I sold my FS5 and bought the GH5 with the 12-35 Panny lens. Still not sure if this is the right focal length for my video projects, but we'll see. So now I'll be using my a6500 on gimbal, and GH5 as my "workhorse" camera. So far, I really like being less encumbered by a big camcorder.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

8th-snype posted:

I think if you are gonna just get one prime the 35 is a good choice.

That's a funny way to spell 23, because if you have only one lens it should be moderately wide.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

blowfish posted:

That's a funny way to spell 23, because if you have only one lens it should be moderately wide.
Except I've owned both and sold the 23 to keep the 35. It's entirely down to personal preference. If I can't fit something in the shot, I find a different way to shoot it. Or just pull out my phone if I really need the picture.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

blowfish posted:

Depends on what you shoot, they said "gig photos" shooting live music with just a 23 would be fairly miserable. For the record I have owned two 35mm f/2s, the 35mm f/1.4, the 23mm f/1.4, and the 23mm f/2. My current 23mm lens the x100f.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
For gigs I'm usually at a distance of one meter from the band. When using my 18-55 I usually zoom to 35, so 35mm is my first choice.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

melon cat posted:

The fuzziest, pinkest catte toes! :3:

He's a Maine Coon cross, isn't he?

Good eye, he's a Maine Coon/Ragdoll mix.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Schneider Heim posted:

lol if you're choosing between Fuji lenses, just buy them both. That's what I did.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

alkanphel posted:

lol if you're choosing between Fuji lenses, just buy them both. That's what I did.

I can't afford both right now, with my current income it'll take me a year to get the second one.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I was actually on the fence about which 35mm I wanted to rebuy recently because I want to use the x100 w/ wcl and have something shorter than my 56 available for social doc stuff. I hemmed and hawed for a bit and planned to sell my x100 teleconverter to fund it. Then I got the deal of a lifetime, a busted Olympus OM-1 with a 55mm f/1.2 on it dirt cheap. I first tried to cheap out and bought a fotodiox Excell +1 focal reducer, which was terrible. I returned it immediately and bought a Zhongyi Lens Turbo II, which is actually really good. I haven't really stopped it down and tested it in daylight because I did not buy this lens to use for landscapes but wide open the center is plenty sharp for portraits.

This is the Fotodiox wide open in good light.

https://i.imgur.com/PuUx0ri.jpg

This is the Zhongyi in just regular tungsten bedroom lighting.

https://i.imgur.com/7167gjg.jpg
Night and day.

Edit: Added links to the large versions.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 18, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat, that's a hell of a stroke of luck to find the 55mm f/1.2. It's a fantastic lens.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Yeah it's quite good for being single coated fast glass.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Looking for beginner mirrorless opinions in the mirrorless thread.

I'm working up shopper's angst trying to decide between the DSLR and mirrorless options to learn manual photography and improve my skills with. The wrinkle being that I have discounts through a Nikon insider program that would get me a D5600 w/18-55mm and 70-300mm lenses for $640.

While I'm learning towards that deal, I don't want to discount any mirrorless options that may be in the $650 range that have the same capabilities. While I'm not experienced enough to know what I'll need a year from now, I'd want a camera that has a good viewfinder at least equivalent to a DSLR and options for timelapse / interval photos. I have this thing where I really want to try taking star trail photos, even though it's going to be a very occasional thing.

Anyone have experience with a mirrorless camera that is in that D5600 range, if not better, even if it's just with the default kit lens? I realize there are plenty of great options that I don't have the budget for as they approach and move past $1000.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SimplyCosmic posted:

Looking for beginner mirrorless opinions in the mirrorless thread.

I'm working up shopper's angst trying to decide between the DSLR and mirrorless options to learn manual photography and improve my skills with. The wrinkle being that I have discounts through a Nikon insider program that would get me a D5600 w/18-55mm and 70-300mm lenses for $640.

While I'm learning towards that deal, I don't want to discount any mirrorless options that may be in the $650 range that have the same capabilities. While I'm not experienced enough to know what I'll need a year from now, I'd want a camera that has a good viewfinder at least equivalent to a DSLR and options for timelapse / interval photos. I have this thing where I really want to try taking star trail photos, even though it's going to be a very occasional thing.

Anyone have experience with a mirrorless camera that is in that D5600 range, if not better, even if it's just with the default kit lens? I realize there are plenty of great options that I don't have the budget for as they approach and move past $1000.

You can get a better camera used in that price range but you are unlikely to find anything with a better sensor. The entry level DSLRs are good but tend to lack features when it comes to controls. I use an older Canon Rebel every day at work and changing certain things drive me nuts. The lenses that come with that Nikon kit are very serviceable just don't drop the 18-55 as it has a plastic mount and will shear off for like no reason. The other huge benefit of mirrorless is a wysiwyg EVF, people talk about lag all the time but dont realise how useful a completely customizable VF can be. Also they probably have never used a DSLR with poorly labeled AF points.

Honestly just buy that kit and consider picking up a 35mm f/1.8 dx, maybe by selling the 75-300 unless you need the reach. New photographers always over estimate how long of a telephoto they really need, except sports and birds then you can never have enough reach,

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Any experience with the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II w/14-42mm kit lens and how it might compare?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SimplyCosmic posted:

Any experience with the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II w/14-42mm kit lens and how it might compare?

It's a good camera with decent controls that will murder a consumer nikon in AF speed and accuracy. It's also much smaller and lighter than the nikon kit. The down side is it will not have as clean high ISO images as newer APS-C chips (not that it will be bad or anything) and it's only 16mp which is plenty for printing and what not but I definitely feel better making extreme crops after I moves from 16mp to 24.

Personally I'd much rather have the oly or a used XT-1 than a consumer nikon but you should really try them out in person before deciding. Do you live near a best buy or decent camera shop?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

SimplyCosmic posted:

I traded in my Canon rebel for the original em10 last year and I love it.
The 14-42 is ok but any of the primes are better. Still, I would recommend the em10. It’s small and easy to bring along anywhere which makes it more likely you will use it. It is so much more convenient than my canon.

Check Olympus refurb, that’s where I got mine and there have been 0 issues.

As 8th says though, try them out in person if possible. The Olympus is a little small for big hands

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

SimplyCosmic posted:

I think in the sensor/performance department, the E-M10 Mark II really compares with the D3400, not the D5600 that you're looking at. Low light/high ISO performance is definitely better on a crop DSLR. As for AF speed and controls the Oly blows it away.

I traded an entry level Pentax body in for mine and I like it a lot. I absolutely love the size and portability, although Pentax bodies weigh a LOT more than Nikon so that difference may not be as important to you. The kit lens is fine, about the equivalent of the Nikon kit. The Nikkor 35/1.8 is still my favorite affordable lens although the Panasonic 20/1.7 is a very solid lens at around the same price.

e: I do only still and no video so if you're into video you might want to hear someone chime in about the Panasonic M43 bodies.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 19, 2017

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Syrinxx posted:

I think in the sensor/performance department, the E-M10 Mark II really compares with the D3400, not the D5600 that you're looking at. Low ISO performance is definitely better on a crop DSLR. As for AF speed and controls the Oly blows it away.

I traded an entry level Pentax body in for mine and I like it a lot. I absolutely love the size and portability, although Pentax bodies weigh a LOT more than Nikon so that difference may not be as important to you. The kit lens is fine, about the equivalent of the Nikon kit. The Nikkor 35/1.8 is still my favorite affordable lens although the Panasonic 20/1.7 is a very solid lens at around the same price.

e: I do only still and no video so if you're into video you might want to hear someone chime in about the Panasonic M43 bodies.

I had a 70D before I switched to an E-M 10 Mark I and I have never regretted that move for a second. The smaller size is just so nice. You can put a prime lens on the camera and it still fits in the pocket of a jacket or coat. Try to do that with a DSLR. Also the IBIS works really well. Having stabilization for your fast primes is just amazing and it helps to make up for the iso performance.

And Olympus cameras have the Light Composite mode which is the absolute bees knees for star trails.

I have switched to a GX 85 now because I needed better video quality and I'm extremly happy with this one too. It's build like a tank, great IQ and the IBIS works really well too.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Has anyone ever used the Rokinon 85 f/1.4 on their Fuji? I've got an X-T2 and the 35 f/2 that never leaves it, but I'd like a headshot length lens and I can't justify the price of the 56 f/1.2 or 90 f/2 for how often I take portraits. I guess an alternative is the xf 50 f/2 but it seems kinda wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

alarumklok posted:

Has anyone ever used the Rokinon 85 f/1.4 on their Fuji? I've got an X-T2 and the 35 f/2 that never leaves it, but I'd like a headshot length lens and I can't justify the price of the 56 f/1.2 or 90 f/2 for how often I take portraits. I guess an alternative is the xf 50 f/2 but it seems kinda wide.

I would any day rather have an autofocus-capable medium-tele lens over a manual focus lens. Wide open that Rokinon will have ~2 inches of depth. You'll be refocusing any time either you or the model move even the slightest bit.

The 50 f/2 is a good compromise for portraiture. Hell, I've shot some beautiful portraits using the 23 f/1.4.

The 90 f/2 is just in a class of its own though. Very, very choice. I think I paid $670 before discounts for mine from an EBay seller this time last year.