Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We are WAY, WAY beyond that point KK (when'd you change your name?)

Well yeah, I think the unemployment rate for White men has been well below the national rates for awhile. And there's always exceptions (it took me 4 months to find a job this year). But for the most part if you're straight, White, and male you don't have a whole lot of excuses.

Changed it about two or three months ago. I do like wafers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

not really that exciting but where the hell do people come up with some of these ideas.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7df06l/large_savings_already_set_for_retirement_not/ posted:

I'm in my early 30s. I have two pensions; one I can draw at age 55, one at age 58. I haven't set up an additional retirement account (yet). I've been told that if I did, I would not be able to draw social security.
I have the ability to invest in a TSP (Thrift Savings Plan) or a Deferred Comp Program (457(b)); haven't done that yet because of the "guidance" about not drawing social security.
I make about 60k per year, have a mortgage (not my forever home), small student debt left (under 10k, at a low interest rate ~6%), and a car payment that has about 12k left.
I have about 40k in a savings account. I'm not very "money smart" in regards to knowing what to do with it.
I have been considering CDs because that's the only thing I know about. Can someone please help guide me to learn/figure out what to do to help grow my net worth?
I've been too overwhelmed by trying to figure out what to do with it for the past couple years; so I haven't done anything. I just found out about reddit/personal finance and was hoping you all could help guide me. Any help is appreciated.

quote:

Why do you think you won't be able to draw social security if you save money?

quote:

I had heard that if you have more than three retirement accounts/sources you are/were ineligible to draw social security benefits.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

If gifting a house I paid for with premarital and marital assets to a sibling in law was going to cost me like $100,000, I would probably be willing to stand my ground at the brink and go through a partition sale over it but that's just me. Of course I would never have gotten into this harebrained investment deal where they are presumably equally titled 50% owners with the in laws free rolling on my mortgage payments for 10 years, so there's that I guess.

Sure, but we don’t actually know what her premarital assets were or what her contribution is. For all we know it was mostly paid for by her husband.

I think the last sentance is the important one. Don’t do stupid nonsense like this with anybody, let alone family.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Real talk, is 6% considered a "low" interest rate these days for student loans? Honest question.

About to get a mortgage @ 3.875 and it's making me cringe, though after it closes I'm going to swing by the long term investing forum because I think I'm better off aggressive contributing to a 401k than paying ahead on my mortgage. But that's for that thread.

BWM: buying a house

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

KingSlime posted:

There were generally more girls in college than guys, from the time I spent there

The dudes I grew up with had the same opportunities too, they were just emotional dumbshits who struggle with long term planning and didn't give a gently caress (lol at the idea that men are largely more logical than women, were all idiots yo). They either dropped out because college is too hard for their gorilla brains or decided to work poo poo jobs. These are the kinds of men who think not putting effort into school is a badge of honor. How common is that sentiment in men vs women I wonder?

So yep that statistic doesn't surprise me at all. Salty mediocre men are gonna be salty that it sucks to suck but there's lots of guys at the top? Just not them

I'm a dude and I'm doing a-ok :)

Also it goes without saying not everyone who didn't go to college is an idiot, I know more than a few guys who have no formal education but are crushing it because they are good at strategizing for the long term and working hard.

Formal education is absolutely correlated to higher lifetime earnings though

Agreed, only complete losers blame their failures on race or sex.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Ehh not quite

Only loser dudes with opportunities blame their squandered chances at success on race or sex

I'm referring to the bitter boys I personally know and grew up with (one of them, who can't hold a job for more than a few months, is looking into starting up a Bitcoin mining operation to help with child support all thanks to that SHE DEVIL he knocked up)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

For the gifting house one, at most I would consider letting them live there rent free for a while. gently caress giving up the entire house though, that's insane. They're already giving her super cheap rent. The only only other way I would say it's ok to give up the house is if these people are stupidly wealthy. She mentions they make more than the sister-in-law, and have decent savings, but she doesn't say how much. If they're sitting on $1 million, and this is some $150k house, then maybe I could see it.

I'm assuming they're still making mortgage payments on the house, I don't think I saw where it was paid off. Is SIL going to take over the mortgage payments?

totalnewbie posted:

Real talk, is 6% considered a "low" interest rate these days for student loans? Honest question.

About to get a mortgage @ 3.875 and it's making me cringe, though after it closes I'm going to swing by the long term investing forum because I think I'm better off aggressive contributing to a 401k than paying ahead on my mortgage. But that's for that thread.

Are you cringing at 3.875% because you think that's high? We're at historic lows in mortgage interest rates.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7dede3/mother_wants_to_make_stupid_decision_on_a/

quote:

Mother wants to make stupid decision on a superstition

She got anxiety all of a sudden, sister tells her it's because the house has "bad feng shui" because the starway leads to the front door and the house is next to a cliff/ravine
She now wants to sell the house and move.
Don't know what to do I'm witnessing pure insanity

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

totalnewbie posted:

Invest the remainder, at least as much as you're capable of putting in tax advantaged accounts.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Best thing to do here is make up a counter-dream

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

On that note, this is my landlord:

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/article_085fc8e2-5295-11e5-a1f8-b7f708e785bd.html

quote:

"It was my intention when I bought the lot 10 years ago to one day build my dream home there," Weisstock, of Witmar Developments, said Thursday.

But a lot with such a commanding view comes with a price - a sharp, 200-foot drop-off on one side.

Weisstock, who has three boys under five, now figures it might not be such a great place to have young kids scrambling around.

He probably made money off that, but he does other weird stuff, like doing a whole lot of property maintenance himself. One day I saw him bringing a new (used) double-sized refrigerator for the rental property next door, then unloading it off the truck alone.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Multiple bad with money ideas combined are the best

http://www.gold-plating-kits.co.uk/index.php/electroplating-kits.html

quote:

Gold Plating is highly profitable and allows kit owners to offer a huge range of gold plated products that just cannot be found in the High Streets of the world today. If the general public wanted to go out to the shops and buy any of the countless items you could gold plate - they simply will not be able to.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
BWM: I just spent $80 total on two sweaters that say “I Miss My Dog”

One for me and one for my cousin as an Xmas gift.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Krispy Wafer posted:

Well yeah, I think the unemployment rate for White men has been well below the national rates for awhile. And there's always exceptions (it took me 4 months to find a job this year). But for the most part if you're straight, White, and male you don't have a whole lot of excuses.

Changed it about two or three months ago. I do like wafers.

Why do you keep writing white men with a capital W?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
He means White as in you're Walter White

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

Why do you keep writing white men with a capital W?

It's a grammatical choice.

http://www.diversitystyleguide.com/glossary/white-white/

Both white and White are correct.

Also, Walter White did a lot for unemployment in Arizona New Mexico (same difference).

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 16, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's a grammatical choice.

http://www.diversitystyleguide.com/glossary/white-white/

Both white and White are correct.

Also, Walter White did a lot for unemployment in Arizona.

New Mexico :colbert:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

One Weird Trick to paying off your student loans and being insufferable about it: financial support from your parents

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2017/11/15/student-loans-repayment/amp/

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
House-Chat is great. My father had a similar idea, he said to all of us kids

quote:

we should help your eldest brother buy a house. Once he gets a house, we can then do for the rest of you
:psyduck: There's 7 of us. :psyduck:

Papa John Misty posted:

One Weird Trick to paying off your student loans and being insufferable about it: financial support from your parents

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2017/11/15/student-loans-repayment/amp/
And a good job by the sounds of it:

quote:

That’s right. Every paycheck that I received, I would put in an average of $2,000/month into my loans, and attacked them one at a time.
LeSage has repaid $62,000 of student loan debt in two years
The math doesn't add up though... 2k per month x 24 months = 48k.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 17, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
When we were in college and without dental insurance, my wife went in to get a crown done. The dentist told her she needed that done, plus this other thing, plus this thing, and replacing this filling, blah blah blah $12k worth of work needed to be done.
That represented about 50% of our gross annual income and she started crying thinking about how we couldn't pay it and had no idea how we would come up with $12k.

The puzzled dentist said :confused: "Why don't you just ask your parents to pay for it?" :confused:
It's as if this guy had no concept that someone's parents might not have $12k just lying around waiting for a kid to ask for it.

Felt very Lucille Bluth "it's one banana, how much could it cost? Ten dollars?"

(we went to a different dentist and he said her teeth were fine, and did the one thing we needed for $600. 6 years later her teeth are still fine according to every other dentist that ever looked at them)

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Suspicious Lump posted:

House-Chat is great. My father had a similar idea, he said to all of us kids

:psyduck: There's 7 of us. :psyduck:

And a good job by the sounds of it:

The math doesn't add up though... 2k per month x 24 months = 48k.

Why would they write the article when he has $1300 left out of a $65000 loan? Just wait two weeks until he pays it off. That's just stupid timing.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

totalnewbie posted:

:words:

My federal school loans were at around 6% and I paid them fast as hell. My private student loans are at 2.5-2.85%. I’ve been paying them down but I’m not in any hurry there. Rather pay down my mortgage.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

My boss, who is always complaining about money issues and lives paycheck to paycheck, just bought 2 iPhone Xs. One for him, one for his wife. $2700 because he also got AppleCare

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Dick Nipples posted:

My federal school loans were at around 6% and I paid them fast as hell. My private student loans are at 2.5-2.85%. I’ve been paying them down but I’m not in any hurry there. Rather pay down my mortgage.

That's a fantastic rate, especially if fixed

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Inept posted:

My boss, who is always complaining about money issues and lives paycheck to paycheck, just bought 2 iPhone Xs. One for him, one for his wife. $2700 because he also got AppleCare

Honestly the nerve what do you expect people to use as a phone? A 2 year old apple phone, ugh

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

who needs a kit when you can just burn mercury and wind up on some dude's podcast.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Inept posted:

Goddamn Apple is just printing money these days.

Jan 11, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Goddamn Apple is just printing money these days.

The thing I love the most about the iPhone is that the most expensive component of the entire thing is the screen which is manufactured by their most bitter rival Samsung. I wish that Samsung phones had components manufactured by Apple too so that the irony circle would be complete.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

When we run out of rare metals in a couple decades, prepare for the iPhone wars.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

The thing I love the most about the iPhone is that the most expensive component of the entire thing is the screen which is manufactured by their most bitter rival Samsung. I wish that Samsung phones had components manufactured by Apple too so that the irony circle would be complete.

No, but Samsung uses Apple patents so that's kind of the same thing.

It's not a new thing. Samsung has been manufacturing iPhone CPUs for years. So a phone designed in California, manufactured primarily in China by a Taiwanese company, has its CPU built in Texas by a Korean company - who also happens to be their biggest rival.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Krispy Wafer posted:

No, but Samsung uses Apple patents so that's kind of the same thing.

It's not a new thing. Samsung has been manufacturing iPhone CPUs for years. So a phone designed in California, manufactured primarily in China by a Taiwanese company, has its CPU built in Texas by a Korean company - who also happens to be their biggest rival.

:capitalism: and globalization

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nail Rat posted:

When we run out of rare metals in a couple decades, prepare for the iPhone wars.

Rare earth metals aren't all that rare.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Phanatic posted:

Some are.

https://gizmodo.com/the-metals-in-your-phone-arent-just-rare-theyre-irre-1477904295

quote:

Take dysprosium, as just one example. Atomic number 66, substitute rating as poor as they get. Not only is it running low (with shortages predicted to get problematic by 2020-ish) but its unique magnetic powers are also key in burgeoning green technologies like electric vehicles and wind turbines, in addition to in your smartphone. And it's bad enough that it's rare, but with no viable substitute in sight, you've got double the problem.

It will be an issue at some point unless we start mining asteroids or landfills and I feel like the expense in doing either would be pretty BWM.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 17, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

So what you are saying is that I should invest in Dysprosium stockpiling now so that I can sell it at a huge markup in twenty years.

Maybe we can set up some sort of blockchain to allow people to invest in physical dysprosium stockpiles!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Even if they aren't super rare, they are hard to go from ground -> isolated element. Lots of energy goes into their production. Yes that can be mitigated through huge solar/wind farms, but right now we're in a race to get critical mass. I would say recycle your electronics but even that is currently awful for the environment.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Humans are just Bad With Life

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Nail Rat posted:

They are only rare compared to regular dirt. They are actually quite available.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Elephanthead posted:

They are only rare compared to regular dirt. They are actually quite available.

Moreover, it's like anything else: when available reserves get tapped out enough for the price to go up, reserves increase because now it's economical to mine deposits that previously weren't worth it. The big US mine has restarted production precisely for this reason.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/americas-only-rare-earth-metals-mine-gears-up/

The US is now the leading petroleum producer in the world. Because we reduced producing petroleum when other places did it cheaper, and then prices rose, and it became economical for us to start producing again.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

metallicaeg posted:

Humans are just Bad With Life

It's chemistry in action

How many wildly successful organisms are able to maintain favorable conditions for a long time (geologically speaking not like a few hundred years wise) while thriving, multiplying, and extracting resources at record paces?

Everything generates waste and eventually kills itself before something else comes along to take advantage of the new conditions, at this point even the most tenacious efforts on our part would add a few seconds to our timeline if it was compacted into a 24 hour day

Not a good reason not to try but it sure helps me sleep happily at night cuz nothing really matters when you look at the bigger picture, and all actions come with consequences so *shrug*

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 11, 2004

Ashcans posted:

So what you are saying is that I should invest in Dysprosium stockpiling now so that I can sell it at a huge markup in twenty years.

Maybe we can set up some sort of blockchain to allow people to invest in physical dysprosium stockpiles!

IDO (initial dysprosium offering)