Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

What makes Trotz this? (not a disingenuous question)

Seriously, he's never gotten out of the second round and even if you say "well Nashville was a building job they weren't legit contenders" how do you explain him never doing it with the Capitals either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

DJExile posted:

He got 5 minutes+ejection, and the refs hosed up the handling of enforcing it. They sent him for 2 minutes for slashing, then just before the faceoff looked up at the jumbotron replay and then gave him the 5+game. I don't think the league's reviewed it yet.

Oh I misread. I'm still not fully awake yet. My bad.

Yeah, a major and ejection makes perfect sense for this. There's no way he doesn't get a suspension for this, though. He's a super repeat offender at this point.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Oh I misread. I'm still not fully awake yet. My bad.

Yeah, a major and ejection makes perfect sense for this. There's no way he doesn't get a suspension for this, though. He's a super repeat offender at this point.

Yeah he's likely getting a couple games.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Maybe it's just me but I don't think Gudas meant to do that. Looked more careless than malicious.

If he did mean to do it he did a pretty good job disguising it.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/BradyTrett/status/931387957772091392

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the more I look at it the more I think it's idiocy than malice, he's not really looking at him as he comes down. Still, it was a bad shot, and he's got a history.

Perreault stayed in the game so there's that, but I'd imagine he's gonna sit for at least 1

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Maybe it's just me but I don't think Gudas meant to do that. Looked more careless than malicious.

If he did mean to do it he did a pretty good job disguising it.

Maybe on the slo-mo. At 100% speed he's unmistakably chopping Perreault with that "totally trying to sell it as an accident by not looking at the guy I'm maiming" trick that never actually works.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Maybe on the slo-mo. At 100% speed he's unmistakably chopping Perreault with that "totally trying to sell it as an accident by not looking at the guy I'm maiming" trick that never actually works.

It does look worse at full speed for sure. I think he did mean to violently get his stick down onto the ice and muscle Perreault out of the way, but I don't know that he meant to head chop him. But this is Gudas we're talking about so I probably shouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt.

Either way he's lucky Perreault didn't get hurt worse.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Gudas would be a pretty decent hockey player if he wasn't clinically insane.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DJExile posted:

Yeah the more I look at it the more I think it's idiocy than malice, he's not really looking at him as he comes down. Still, it was a bad shot, and he's got a history.

Perreault stayed in the game so there's that, but I'd imagine he's gonna sit for at least 1

NHL announced that Gudas was offered an in person hearing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Gudas has been a pleasant surprise on being a pretty solid defenseman, but plays like that are lovely. Hell, I don’t really think intent matters, it was a bad play no matter what.

Also, NHL refs and NHL player safety continue to both suck.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

In other injury news, a fan got hurt by a puck into the stands at VGK/VAN last night to the point where they decided to cut the 2nd period about a minute short and tack it on to the start of the third.

e: on officiating stuff like that. I know the NCAA (lol) allows for reviews to determine if a penalty was deserving of a major and ejection, and even if the NHL doesn't have a provision for that, I am completely fine with the refs looking at the jumbotron and changing the call after the replay in this case.

What I'm saying is the NHL should have that provision too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

In other injury news, a fan got hurt by a puck into the stands at VGK/VAN last night to the point where they decided to cut the 2nd period about a minute short and tack it on to the start of the third.

oh jeez, that's awful

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

DJExile posted:

I'll say that it for sure looks like he was looking to slash him very hard, probably in the back or the back of the leg. It just so happened that the guy fell and he caught him in the head/neck. It was a bad move that ended even more poorly than intended because Gudas is dumb.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Gudas and Tkachuk own.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Caveman Lucic got ejected for sucker punching Parayko in the head last night. Luckily Colt 55 is like a foot taller so it wasn't damaging, but still a piece of poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't accept that nickname.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

iospace posted:

Is there video of this? I'm curious to know what happened.

The "do the intermission now" thing has happened at a couple Monsters games that I've worked. Usually due to ice issues or in one that distinctly remember, not having a replacement piece of glass that broke along the boards.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hockles posted:

The "do the intermission now" thing has happened at a couple Monsters games that I've worked. Usually due to ice issues or in one that distinctly remember, not having a replacement piece of glass that broke along the boards.

None that I'm aware of, just the puck flying into the stands and on ice action pausing when they realize what happened. I don't blame them in the slightest for doing it, especially with around a minute left.

Also:

https://twitter.com/TSN_Jorts/status/931173350046494721

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

how are the oilers as bad as the oilers are?

Talbot and McDavid have shown moments of mortality, they hemmoraghed a bunch of depth and all of their forwards aren't having career years again.

It's a glorious thing.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Edmonton’s also pretty consistently ranked as decent but unlucky in those quadrant graphs everybody’s throwing around, there’s a good chance they’re not as bad as their results thus far.

The Caps on the other hand are consistently shown as being legitimately garbage so take that as you will, Caps fans.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Talbot and McDavid have shown moments of mortality, they hemmoraghed a bunch of depth and all of their forwards aren't having career years again.

It's a glorious thing.

Especially since they will be in cap-hell next year. This more than makes up for the gloating leafs fans.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Edmonton’s also pretty consistently ranked as decent but unlucky in those quadrant graphs everybody’s throwing around, there’s a good chance they’re not as bad as their results thus far.

They're really not anywhere near as bad as they've appeared. They've had a few stinkers but all in all they've seemed good to excellent in the games I've seen them play. I had them as my cup pick, and honestly this season confuses the hell out of me. They're doing everything right and still not performing. At some point things have to even out, but the longer it goes the sparser their chances of making the playoffs.

Everyone is performing about as well as you can expect of them outside of their bottom six. They just can't score. I think a lot of that has to do with their defence being over matched on most nights, as Klefbom and Larsson are the only guys worth a bucket out bolts out there right now. Sekera should help when he gets back, but a torn ACL at 30 is a real worry for a guy reliant on skating.

Basically, I have no idea what's up with them other than it's the Oilers and a single bump in the road results in panicky over correction into oncoming traffic from everyone from the fans to players to management.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah the best part is going to be when Chiarelli makes a panic move that compounds the talent drain he’s been doing to that team over the last two seasons, Burke/Nonis style

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Koopa Kid posted:

The Caps on the other hand are consistently shown as being legitimately garbage so take that as you will, Caps fans.

I feel like CAS has been pretty straight-forward with how we feel about it.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Hockles posted:

Where was it a few years ago that put up plywood or something like that during a game because they didn't have a backup piece of glass ready?

Maybe I'm making stuff up too.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

this is why I feel like this is more than just a rough patch and a coaching change might be necessary -- our roster got worse but it didn't get THAT much worse

but it is still early and the rest of the metro also kinda sucks so maybe the caps can still turn it around :)

:(

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Edmonton's team defense seemed real bad last night. Tons of open ice for the Blues to skate into the zone with (except of course during the PP where the Blues forget they have an extra man)

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Hm. Maybe the oilers suck poo poo?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Matthews is a game-time decision for tomorrow's game against Montreal :toot:

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

mennoknight posted:

Hm. Maybe the oilers suck poo poo?

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0723281908015831873-4

"We're in second-last in the division, so it's obviously not satisfactory. I think the way that we started we were loose, and now we've tightened up, and when you tighten up generally as a team you have trouble scoring goals. We're almost at the 20-game mark and it's obviously disappointing where we are, but I see some positives and it's a grind. We have to get some traction in terms of winning just one game or losing just one. …[The] general takeaway is general disappointment. There's your headline. But I do believe in the critical mass of the team and I do believe that we're still in it." – Edmonton Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli on his team, which is second to last in the Western Conference at 7-10-2.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
taylor hall was right

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Especially since they will be in cap-hell next year. This more than makes up for the gloating leafs fans.

The Leafs' underlying numbers have also been trending into not-very-good territory but Andersen is starting to look like a goaltender again which could mask an unhealthy situation. I don't think any Leafs fan can honestly tell you that they deserved a single one of their last 5 wins.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/CAMayrand/status/931594176168374272

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

AegisP posted:

Matthews is a game-time decision for tomorrow's game against Montreal :toot:

He will be risen again.

Call Your Grandma posted:

The Leafs' underlying numbers have also been trending into not-very-good territory but Andersen is starting to look like a goaltender again which could mask an unhealthy situation. I don't think any Leafs fan can honestly tell you that they deserved a single one of their last 5 wins.

Yea the Leafs have been kinda poor lately but they're not giving up as many ridiculous breakdown scoring chances like earlier in the season. They got largely outshot in I think three of those five wins though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nah Willie Nillie earned the last one with a sick cut into the slot and snipe.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Malcom Subban is healthy again for VGK.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

EV Corsi has still been fine, the main issue is that the PK just hemorrhages shots and some guys can’t stop takin dumb penalties. Andersen’s just regressing to his average after being trash in October. The Leafs won’t play pretty but they’re around where they should be in the standings, assuming Matthews isn’t out long term.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Koopa Kid posted:

I’ve watched every second. Holtby has been great. Orlov, Carlson, Kuznetsov, Eller and Oshie have been consistently good. Ovechkin is starting to revert to turret mode. Backstrom has been invisible but carrying a heavy load defensively. Wilson is improved. Bowey, Stephenson and Djoos have shown their potential. Orpik has been better but overused. Pretty much everyone else has been poo poo with special shoutouts to Grubbauer who hasn’t made a big save this year and probably flushed whatever value he had down the toilet.

We really have an embarrassment of riches on offense and should be better. It definitely feels like Trotz has lost them - or Ovie has lost them or something. I mean some of the joie de vive that they had in the past needs to come from within. It can’t all be on the coach. But the coach is way more expendable than Ovie. Time for a change. And as much as Rierden deserves a chance they probably should get an outside voice to shake things up. It’s too bad AV is safe again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

this league is loving stupid

• Locked thread