Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mezzanon posted:

lol I took my brothers 2012 Mazda 3 for a test drive and the car literally died during the 20 minutes I was in it.

That's a shame, my 09 has no problems at all other than I bought cheap rear end leaky tires for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

Looking to upgrade from my 2016 5dr Impreza:

Proposed Budget: < 30K
New or Used: Either or
Body Style: 4dr, midsize or SUV
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to work, so I would like something that's fancy inside with lots of nice features. Will also be used in snow, so AWD would be nice.
What aspects are most important to you? Comfort, gadgets inside, safety

I currently have a Impreza with the sport premium package, but it's just too small (my knees constantly hit the steering column), and my wife feels claustrophobic in it. I'm looking for something larger, with more creature comforts than what the Impreza offers (auto climate control would be fantastic!).

I've been poking around CarMax, but feel weird buying from these strange car wastelands. How are their warranties? Any other suggestions?

If you like how the Impreza drives, have you considered an outback or Forester?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm going to guess you don't need AWD, which will open up a wide wide world of possibilities.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

If you like how the Impreza drives, have you considered an outback or Forester?

I do like how it drives but the infotainment systems in the Outback and Forester seem a bit....dated.

I would really prefer AWD because I get hit with 140+ inches of snow every winter.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

BoyBlunder posted:

I do like how it drives but the infotainment systems in the Outback and Forester seem a bit....dated.

I would really prefer AWD because I get hit with 140+ inches of snow every winter.

I know this point gets hammered every time someone mentions AWD and snow, but snow tires are WAY more important than AWD. I drove a 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass through 5 winters in Wyoming and Colorado and never got stranded. On separate occasions, I got through where a Subaru Outback and a Nissan Pathfinder got stuck because they had the wrong dogshit tires.

An example of a RWD BMW with snow tires leaving behind a Subaru: https://youtu.be/STaximkaQxo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tires matter a lot more but at a certain point you do want AWD, mostly if you have a lot of steep and undermaintained roads to go with your 140+".

If you really need AWD, that is going to push you either to luxury sedans or SUVs/CUVs. There are very few mass-market AWD products other than Subaru that aren't SUVs. Since it sounds like you have a hard time fitting in stuff, I'd recommend just going out with your wife and sitting in a bunch of stuff to see what fits both of you well. I'm kind of confused as to how you can feel claustrophobic in a car with a greenhouse like the Impreza, but I'm a small car guy anyway.

The Honda CR-V and Mazda CX-5 get tossed out regularly for small CUVs, they're pretty good. The Outback is a top seller for a reason. When you say "dated" infotainment, do you mean features-wise or look and feel wise? I ask because everything will look and feel dated long before you get rid of the car. poo poo, my Sync/MFT system in 2013 was pretty top of line for mass market cars and it looked underwhelming within two years.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

IRQ posted:

That's a shame, my 09 has no problems at all other than I bought cheap rear end leaky tires for it.

Yeah I mean it's a great car, it was just catastrophically bad timing. Either the alternator or a belt went, only had 80, 000 kilo's on it

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

I've been poking around CarMax, but feel weird buying from these strange car wastelands. How are their warranties? Any other suggestions?

Whoever you buy from getting a quote from CarMax for your Impreza is probably worth doing even if you plan on trading/selling elsewhere. I think they tend to be well overpriced for used cars, but they also gave me easily as much as I would have gotten private party for my three year old Crosstrek and it was really easy.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

If you like the car, you can can replace the radio.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I love Subarus... Their interiors are poo poo thought. They've gotten slightly better but I find their ineriors and ICE to be not superb.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I have not read a single post in this thread

Is there any truth that Japanese/Korean made vehicles are more reliable all around?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sponges posted:

Is there any truth that Japanese/Korean made vehicles are more reliable all around?

Toyota/Honda are good

Hyundai is bad

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

sponges posted:

The difference is much less than it used to be.

The year/make/model tends to matter more than make generally. Every manufacturer has had their issues.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

EugeneJ posted:

Toyota/Honda are good

Hyundai is bad

Statements like these are misleading without a source. Would recommend the casual reader simply ignores this post.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

Toyota/Honda are good

Hyundai is bad

Tell me more about life in 1992, time traveler from the past!

Deteriorata posted:

The difference is much less than it used to be.

The year/make/model tends to matter more than make generally. Every manufacturer has had their issues.

But seriously. I mean I am a huge Toyota slut but they spent years making trucks with frames that would literally break in half, and Honda had their nice long run of V6 transmissions that would explode if you sneezed near them. I still broadly prefer Japanese cars to American, but I drive an American truck now and I am totally happy with it.

Just don't buy anything from FSA.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

sponges posted:

When were Korean cars ever regarded as good?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sits on Pilster posted:

Statements like these are misleading without a source. Would recommend the casual reader simply ignores this post.

Hyundai lies to get out of warranty claims - gently caress them

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Well, I mean, I don't know of that's an endemic problem with Hyundai, but I'm sure all companies have done and will continue to do the same.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Unload My Head posted:

Tell me more about life in 1992, time traveler from the past!

But seriously. I mean I am a huge Toyota slut but they spent years making trucks with frames that would literally break in half, and Honda had their nice long run of V6 transmissions that would explode if you sneezed near them. I still broadly prefer Japanese cars to American, but I drive an American truck now and I am totally happy with it.

Just don't buy anything from FSA.

i am pretty sure the Free Syrian Army doesn't make cars

Don't buy anything from FCA.

J Bloo
Mar 20, 2009
Any UK goons have experience of buying using a scrappage scheme? Specifically whether there is any point in trying to haggle price down any further?

Thinking of buying a new Mazda 3 sport nav and getting rid of my old polo. Scrappage discount is 4k (far far more than the polo is worth) bringing the RRP from around 21k down to 17k.

All the dealers I've spoken to have said "no further discount available, it's a set scheme with a set price and we just get a handling fee, best we can do is a full tank of fuel and some free mats".

They've been remarkably consistent (across 4 different dealers) and the usual walk away tactics haven't borne any fruit yet.

Just wondering if there is much point pressing further (Or if 17k for the car/trim is about as good as I could expect)

Thanks - any other thoughts on the Mazda 3 very welcome too!

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

Hyundai lies to get out of warranty claims - gently caress them

Literally every company offering warranties on the planet does this. It's not some huge Hyundai-specific problem.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah you don't deal with the question of "what happens if my car turns out to be defective" by looking for the best warranty coverage, you deal with it by looking for the car that's least likely to break.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Proposed Budget: ~35k
New or Used: new or certified
Body Style: SUV or wagon
How will you be using the car?: I have a thousand-mile-a-week commute, so comfort is a MUST. Lane keeping and auto cruise control would also be nice. Heated and COOLED seats are a MUST. My current car is a C-max hybrid, which is a fine car, but I’m ready for something with more space and more comfort.
What aspects are most important to you?
Cooled seats
Reliability (or a long warranty)
Comfort
Space

I’ve been looking at the Lincoln MKC and MKX, and the new Equinox which really wowed me. I was considering waiting for the new Buick Regal to come out, but I contacted GM and found out it won’t be offered with cooled seats.
What else should I look at?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Moving.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

:vince:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
A hybrid is the best choice but there aren't too many hybrids with cooled seats. Check out the Kia Niro? There's also the Sonata hybrid, and I would assume without checking that the Optima hybrid is similar.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

EugeneJ posted:

Toyota/Honda are good

Hyundai is bad
Model and year matter. My 2006 Toyota Corolla was a piece of crap. Terrible ride, got substantially less mileage than promised, and the fuel injection failed so badly (under warranty) I had to have the car towed to the dealer after I literally rolled to a stop at the side of the road. I was glad that it held its value because we sold it in 2010.

On the other side, my 2011 Hyundai Sonata has run brilliantly all these years, and we beat the poo poo out of it. Never spent more than $400 in service per year, and it's got 150K miles on it. I fully expect it to seize up and die in the next couple years, but it's been a really great car to own.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
A thousand-mile-a-week commute? Come on.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

A thousand-mile-a-week commute? Come on.

I did 750 miles a week for two years for a temp job. It was not fun. You can put up with it for a while, but more than a year and it gets soul-numbing. It's at least four hours out of every day spent driving that could be used for much better purposes.

1000 miles per week is not sustainable, IMO. I have no recommendation on a car for him, as I don't think the car itself will be the limiting factor.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

At minimum get shifted to 4 tens Jesus

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Macaroni posted:

Model and year matter. My 2006 Toyota Corolla was a piece of crap. Terrible ride, got substantially less mileage than promised, and the fuel injection failed so badly (under warranty) I had to have the car towed to the dealer after I literally rolled to a stop at the side of the road. I was glad that it held its value because we sold it in 2010.

On the other side, my 2011 Hyundai Sonata has run brilliantly all these years, and we beat the poo poo out of it. Never spent more than $400 in service per year, and it's got 150K miles on it. I fully expect it to seize up and die in the next couple years, but it's been a really great car to own.

The irony here is that as you mentioned, that Corolla held its value really well while I guarantee that Sonata has depreciated off a cliff.

Edit: Anecdotal evidence, but I've actually found both Honda and Hyundai to handle failures way better under warranty than I expected. My mother-in-law had Honda replace an engine block for free on her Civic with 140k miles because of this issue and Hyundai replaced my father-in-law's transmission at 95k miles with no fuss.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 20, 2017

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm thinking of buying a used Prius, but it has a Doorman battery instead of an OEM battery

Are Doorman batteries good?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I would personally take a Dorman reman over the old battery it replaced, yes. I doubt you'll find many used Priuses with replacement Toyota OEM batteries since they're extremely expensive. The only case you're likely to see one of those is if someone actually managed to have a HV battery fail during warranty.

The other options would be a junkyard battery, or one of the other services that just rebuilds them from used cells.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Cool, thanks for the advice

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Wife and I are looking into CPO Audi A6 or BMW 5 Series. Looking to put about $5-7k down, with no trade (as we’re giving our 2010 CR-V to her sister).

Looking to spend about 38-45k on the CPO car, with either 36-48mo financing. We have about $3k extra in our budget per month, so the payment isn’t a problem and already max 401k/Roth/have 6mo emergency fund.

I’ve read the Audi CPO warranty is 6yr/100k mi from the purchase date (original 4 + 2 CPO) and BMW is 5 (original 4 + 1 CPO). Is that correct? Is there anything specific I should look for, or are there sources of info I could check out for reviews I can trust?

I’d rather let the first owner eat the depreciation and not have to worry about extended maintenance, although routine (oil/tires) isn’t a problem, hence the CPO. Any other suggestions?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I have it on good authority that Audi makes the best cars for the best values and nobody is in second place, definitely buy the Audi.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cacafuego posted:

Wife and I are looking into CPO Audi A6 or BMW 5 Series. Looking to put about $5-7k down, with no trade (as we’re giving our 2010 CR-V to her sister).

Looking to spend about 38-45k on the CPO car, with either 36-48mo financing. We have about $3k extra in our budget per month, so the payment isn’t a problem and already max 401k/Roth/have 6mo emergency fund.

I’ve read the Audi CPO warranty is 6yr/100k mi from the purchase date (original 4 + 2 CPO) and BMW is 5 (original 4 + 1 CPO). Is that correct? Is there anything specific I should look for, or are there sources of info I could check out for reviews I can trust?

I’d rather let the first owner eat the depreciation and not have to worry about extended maintenance, although routine (oil/tires) isn’t a problem, hence the CPO. Any other suggestions?

Have you looked carefully into just leasing a new one? It's a little bit more expensive probably but eh, used German cars aren't worth much for a reason and it's not just reliability.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Have you looked carefully into just leasing a new one? It's a little bit more expensive probably but eh, used German cars aren't worth much for a reason and it's not just reliability.

We’re not looking to keep it longer than the 3-4 years it takes to pay off and will probably trade it in/sell privately and buy/lease a new one after that.

I think I asked about leasing a new Audi in this thread earlier and I thought the suggestions were just to buy it. If the warranty covers the time period we plan to own it, does it make sense to buy CPO?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cacafuego posted:

We’re not looking to keep it longer than the 3-4 years it takes to pay off and will probably trade it in/sell privately and buy/lease a new one after that.

I think I asked about leasing a new Audi in this thread earlier and I thought the suggestions were just to buy it. If the warranty covers the time period we plan to own it, does it make sense to buy CPO?

I just don't feel generally that the small discount on buying CPO is worth the sacrifice of getting a used car, especially with something that is ostentiably a luxury vehicle - why not a Hyundai Genesis instead if money was such an issue. It's largely a subjective judgement on my part though and obviously not based on any hard numbers or anything so sorry for rambling guess :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

No worries, thanks for your insight, that’s helpful. We’re not definitely set on CPO and looking at all options, so maybe we’ll just buy new.