Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

im rewatching the show, its funny. stupid too. i wish they made sitcoms like this. frasier getting laid is super unrealistics, the dudes a loving creep.

He's got money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
And apparently the mid to late 90s were this halcyon era where a dude makes like 100k a year as a radio personality working 4 hours a day with benefits and vacation time

Even by sitcom standards, Frazier just sort of demands that you accept he is rich enough to never worry about money and never gives you anything to back it up.

Like the apartments on friends

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Bust Rodd posted:

And apparently the mid to late 90s were this halcyon era where a dude makes like 100k a year as a radio personality working 4 hours a day with benefits and vacation time

Even by sitcom standards, Frazier just sort of demands that you accept he is rich enough to never worry about money and never gives you anything to back it up.

I just watched the episode where he destroys his dad's chair and then painstakingly custom-orders a replacement, replaces all of the carpet in his living room after a grease spill, and then takes his dad to a steakhouse, apparently just shrugging it all off

He is just genuinely not worried about money

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I mean that's not exactly a secret. The entire premise of the show is that he's a rich person who doesn't understand normal people. And most of his family and friends are also like that.

It's a fantasy show about people who almost literally live in a different world than we do.

naem
May 29, 2011

A lot of 90's media was like that, everyone just pretended like wealth was normal. Also really brightly colored clothing

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Bust Rodd posted:

he's a Harvard educated psychiatrist who ran a successful private practice for ten years in Boston, and then started a radio show in Seattle. He was probably rich as gently caress before he even moved to Seattle.

He's like the only sitcom character whose lifestyle is justified.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The main thing that doesn't make sense is where he and Niles got their fancy taste from, not growing up especially wealthy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The main thing that doesn't make sense is where he and Niles got their fancy taste from, not growing up especially wealthy.

Their mom. I think there may have been an episode or two about that, but I'm not sure. They really missed an opportunity by never mentioning their relationship with their mother, like ever.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Not a Children posted:

I just watched the episode where he destroys his dad's chair and then painstakingly custom-orders a replacement, replaces all of the carpet in his living room after a grease spill, and then takes his dad to a steakhouse, apparently just shrugging it all off

He is just genuinely not worried about money

Ironically Dad's chair is now the most expensive piece of furniture in the apartment.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, not like today. You should see what Rush Limbaugh makes :v:

Bust Rodd posted:

I think this was explained with the apartment being in Monica's grandmother's name and rent control

The three camera sitcom demands palatial accommodations for all

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Wasn’t their mom a psychiatrist working for the police? I think the back story is that it’s how she met Martin, and being well-educated she sent the boys to fancy schools. So they developed their taste for opera etc.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Frasier was way cooler and more laid back on Cheers. He's just a social chameleon and it's Niles who pulls him into the high society stuff. There's that one episode where he goes to Daphne's favorite pub and he turns back into Cheers-Frasier.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

SEX BURRITO posted:

Wasn’t their mom a psychiatrist working for the police? I think the back story is that it’s how she met Martin, and being well-educated she sent the boys to fancy schools. So they developed their taste for opera etc.
You don't have to 'develop' a taste for opera. Snobbery is a recessive gene encoded at locus 13q8.3.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Frasier was way cooler and more laid back on Cheers. He's just a social chameleon and it's Niles who pulls him into the high society stuff. There's that one episode where he goes to Daphne's favorite pub and he turns back into Cheers-Frasier.

"just" a social chameleon? 🤔

doesn't it make his behavior worse if he knowingly chooses to do it for gain rather than as a personal failing he doesn't fully control

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Early on Martin points out that while Hester had a taste for the fancy, she was never too snobby to enjoy a hot dog and a beer at a ball game

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

SEX BURRITO posted:

Plus Martin was a police detective IIRC, so while probably not rolling in dough, I'm sure he was likely paid a higher salary than your average beat cop.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

maskenfreiheit posted:

"just" a social chameleon? 🤔

doesn't it make his behavior worse if he knowingly chooses to do it for gain rather than as a personal failing he doesn't fully control

lol how is being a social chameleon a personal failing

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i don't think they intended him to be some sorta chameleon with no personal preferences who just swims with the currents. i think he's more like a snob who's learned to get along with different people over his life. something niles never learned. in fact he was probably more like niles pre-cheers.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 17, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Frasier also used to watch sports and is close friends with an ex MLB relief pitcher, but always seems to forget that when he talks to people about sports.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Frasier also used to watch sports and is close friends with an ex MLB relief pitcher, but always seems to forget that when he talks to people about sports.

I guess you could also chalk this up to Niles' influence. There's a flashback scene where it shows them meeting up at the coffee shop after not having seen each other for years, and Frasier orders a plain black coffee and chuckles at Niles' much fussier order.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but this whole “marrying one of his patients” thing is like dramatically calling Frazier’s psychiatry practice into question and also the idea that Frazier and Lilith were depicted as in-Love or happy is such a mind gently caress that might have to watch Cheers...

What is the Season 8 “you’ve seen the best the show has to offer” line in Cheers? I still haven’t restarted season 8 yet, Granny is literally the antithesis of comedy.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Are we talking about Frazier and his brother Miles?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but this whole “marrying one of his patients” thing is like dramatically calling Frazier’s psychiatry practice into question and also the idea that Frazier and Lilith were depicted as in-Love or happy is such a mind gently caress that might have to watch Cheers...

What is the Season 8 “you’ve seen the best the show has to offer” line in Cheers? I still haven’t restarted season 8 yet, Granny is literally the antithesis of comedy.

I'd say right around the same thing for Cheers. Season 8 or 9. The last season came back around and I loved the finale.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Scrambled ethics all over my face.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

just another posted:

I know right?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Are we talking about Frazier and his brother Piles?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Local DJ, Frazer Crane

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Bust Rodd posted:

i think it depends on the nature of the relationship and if she was a former or a current patient. like if she were being treated for severe trauma related to abuse then he could never date her, but if she were just seeing him to get prescribed prozac and meeting with him once a month for a little while, after a couple of years they could enter into a relationship

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“YeeeeOOOOOO, Good Morning SEAAAATTLE! It’s me, Doctah Fray-Cray in the mornin’, with the delectable *awooga noises, hubba-hubba sounds* Roz (chorus line: It’s ROZ!)! We got some great giveaways today but the real gift, of course, is the satisfaction of knowing that you are all living your best life as an actualized, complete person.... (Foghorn) Allright gang, you know that means, it’s time for a traffic bumper while Roz and I scramble around for something funny to leave in Maddog’s desk drawer! Join us after the commercial break for more of your favorite Shrink who loves to think! This has been the DOKTAH, Frasier Crane, and as always, stay cray-cray in a good way, Seattle”

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Local DJ, Frazer Crane

FRASIER CRANE'S HUMONGOUS rear end CONTEST!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Are we talking about Frazier and his brother Miles?

Piles, this isn't my tea!!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Bust Rodd posted:

“YeeeeOOOOOO, Good Morning SEAAAATTLE! It’s me, Doctah Fray-Cray in the mornin’, with the delectable *awooga noises, hubba-hubba sounds* Roz (chorus line: It’s ROZ!)! We got some great giveaways today but the real gift, of course, is the satisfaction of knowing that you are all living your best life as an actualized, complete person.... (Foghorn) Allright gang, you know that means, it’s time for a traffic bumper while Roz and I scramble around for something funny to leave in Maddog’s desk drawer! Join us after the commercial break for more of your favorite Shrink who loves to think! This has been the DOKTAH, Frasier Crane, and as always, stay cray-cray in a good way, Seattle”

I... My personal life mission now is to track down Kelsey Grammer and record him saying this

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

just another posted:

you're basically a sociopath. you're manipulating people

authenticity is a virtue

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
LE CIGAR VOLANT

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, Niles is very deliberately intended to be pre-Cheers Frasier, very similar but having developed in a different way due to running with a different crowd.

There's some interesting things going on with the brothers, they're basically each others' best friends, and get along very well because they have so much in common, but they struggle with cooperating on any complex task because of both their quirks and their passionate differing opinions on petty things. And both of them are mentioned a few times to take after their mother, and neither got along so well with Martin (probably long and odd detective hours not helping there), kind of the point of the show is that they're really getting to know each other all over again after years of minimal contact.

And on Frasier being one of the only sitcom protagonists who could actually feasibly afford his apartment, I remember reading an article about real estate agents trying to estimate how much Frasier's apartment would cost, with real-life examples of very similar apartments to compare to.

While we're on recycled sets; was Niles' apartment when he moved out (not the Shangri-La one) a recycled set? It's one of the more elaborate ones.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

IIRC, Niles is very deliberately intended to be pre-Cheers Frasier, very similar but having developed in a different way due to running with a different crowd.

There's some interesting things going on with the brothers, they're basically each others' best friends, and get along very well because they have so much in common, but they struggle with cooperating on any complex task because of both their quirks and their passionate differing opinions on petty things. And both of them are mentioned a few times to take after their mother, and neither got along so well with Martin (probably long and odd detective hours not helping there), kind of the point of the show is that they're really getting to know each other all over again after years of minimal contact.

And on Frasier being one of the only sitcom protagonists who could actually feasibly afford his apartment, I remember reading an article about real estate agents trying to estimate how much Frasier's apartment would cost, with real-life examples of very similar apartments to compare to.

While we're on recycled sets; was Niles' apartment when he moved out (not the Shangri-La one) a recycled set? It's one of the more elaborate ones.

I think it was posted earlier in the thread:

https://seattle.curbed.com/2016/10/5/13170908/frasier-seattle-condo-how-much-price

~2-3 million

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's weird that sitcom apartments are so much nicer than sitcom houses. HIMYM, Seinfeld & Frasier all had awesome sets, but stuff like Everybody Loves Raymond have awful midwestern trash homes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

well why not posted:

It's weird that sitcom apartments are so much nicer than sitcom houses. HIMYM, Seinfeld & Frasier all had awesome sets, but stuff like Everybody Loves Raymond have awful midwestern trash homes.

Excuse me, that's Long Island trash home. :colbert:

(Of course, on Long Island, trash costs at least half a million dollars.)

Way more true to life than HIMYM's portrayal of Long Island, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
F R A S I E R W A V E