Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I don't hate, or even care about Bayonetta in the slightest. All I'm saying is: if I walk in on somebody playing it, I'm going to think they have a taste of a teenager.

I'll be damned if I can remember the name of the film, but somebody once made me watch a film of scantily clad women in some weirdly filtered film set in an insane asylum with some fighting. They really rated it. Apparently there was some sub-text about women's liberation or something. Anyway it was trash garbage and I never trusted their opinions on film again.

Same deal.

e: it was called Sucker Punch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, the game is still kind of embarassing to be caught in the middle of playing, but it's not sexist precisely because it lays out its intentions and admits what it is at the start instead of going "this is my super serious world, oh and all women are helplessly over emotional babies in dental floss. That's just how the world is". It's like how pinups aren't sexist because you know that it's a pinup, not a depiction of a standard woman/man. Basic 90's 2nd wave feminism.

i'd give Kojima some leverege in the sexist department because men are also sexualized (admittedly not to the same extent), and not in that stupid "this character has visible muscles, totally the same thing" way. Every protagonist except Big Boss has had immaculately sculpted asses (I can confirm this as an assonomist)

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Apparently my opinion that I don't give a poo poo who the characters are or what the story is in a game is unpopular.

I like Bayonetta for the combo based combat system and give not one single gently caress if the act of opening a door is done in a "provocative" way. I wouldn't care if she actually was naked or if Dante said he was going to only pay her 80% of the golden halos a man would get in the same situation.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah, the game is still kind of embarassing to be caught in the middle of playing, but it's not sexist precisely because it lays out its intentions and admits what it is at the start instead of going "this is my super serious world, oh and all women are helplessly over emotional babies in dental floss. That's just how the world is". It's like how pinups aren't sexist because you know that it's a pinup, not a depiction of a standard woman/man. Basic 90's 2nd wave feminism.

i'd give Kojima some leverege in the sexist department because men are also sexualized (admittedly not to the same extent), and not in that stupid "this character has visible muscles, totally the same thing" way. Every protagonist except Big Boss has had immaculately sculpted asses (I can confirm this as an assonomist)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87YXRvfMDlM&t=69s

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mortal Kombat has always been stiff trash

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Good soup! posted:

street fighter has always been stiff trash

correction, it's nothing but stun locks

get hit once and you're hosed since there's no breaking out of a combo or breaking out of a stun

mortal kombat has the best combo and block system

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mortal kombat 1 was complete and utter garbage that only turned into a franchise due to pearl clutching about the violence

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

food court bailiff posted:

mortal kombat 1 was complete and utter garbage that only turned into a franchise due to pearl clutching about the violence

It was cool before then, I remember going to the arcade as a kid and seeing the much cooler older kids doing fatalities and poo poo. The digitized characters were also very cool at the time. Street Fighter II was getting real stale and it was a nice change of pace. Looking back the game was a stiff piece of poo poo, but it was more about the spectacle than the actual game. Mortal Kombat 2 was actually a good game, and everything else since then has been complete poo poo. Street Fighter II (pick your version) is still the best fighting game of all time.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Bust Rodd posted:

Look dude you are talking to someone whose beaten that game probably 20 or 30 times on 3 platforms...

This is the most embarrassing thing about Bayonetta.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dubplate Fire posted:

It was cool before then, I remember going to the arcade as a kid and seeing the much cooler older kids doing fatalities and poo poo. The digitized characters were also very cool at the time. Street Fighter II was getting real stale and it was a nice change of pace. Looking back the game was a stiff piece of poo poo, but it was more about the spectacle than the actual game. Mortal Kombat 2 was actually a good game, and everything else since then has been complete poo poo. Street Fighter II (pick your version) is still the best fighting game of all time.
Yeah I remember the general spectacle of the game was the big draw. I personally loving hate Mortal Kombat's fighting system, but I suck rear end at all fighting games so my opinion shouldn't have much weight to it.

klapman posted:

Bayonetta isn't even remotely hot even though they try really hard to act like she is. Her legs are weird and I don't like her hair style or her glasses
I always took that to be kind-of the point. Loads of guys--especially teenagers--tend to shrink when they meet a woman who is actually in-charge of her sexuality for her sake and her sake alone, and that's Bayonetta. She has exaggerated proportions, wears fetishistic gear, and gets naked a lot, but doesn't seem to be doing it for the purposes of the audience. It's just who she is. She's the reality of a boy facing his first hairy, smelly, unapologetically hungry vagina incarnate. And the key difference between her and garbage like Sucker Punch is that the male gaze is used as a tool to make male gamers uncomfortable with female sexuality rather than enhance their fantasy of it.

Yeah it's not a classy-looking game regardless, but I always respected the design. It's the same way I don't mind Poison Ivy or Harley Quinn dressing skanky in comic book stuff, but find Black Canary and Supergirl gross-- it all depends on who the character is and how you're framing them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dubplate Fire posted:

MK9 and 10 are legitimately good fighting games (although 9 has a safe projectile/teleport metagame that isn't for everyone)

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
there are no good fighting games

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Neurolimal posted:

MK9 and 10 are legitimately good fighting games (although 9 has a safe projectile/teleport metagame that isn't for everyone)

Yeah I haven't played them since none of my friends are good at fighting games and they get frustrated playing with me. I am not even what you would consider good, I would probably be considered bad, but I have a basic understanding. I have to throw matches just to keep them playing with me. It's a lovely place to be, can't play casually and I can't play competitively. I miss the game room in at my college. It was filled with black kids playing all sorts of fighting games with varying skill and it was very loving cool to play with random people, get my rear end kicked and then have someone explain to you why. I'm not gonna buy Street Fighter 5 or whatever to play online or whatever. That poo poo is loving lame.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
strafe jumping, gauss jumping, and conc jumping ruined quake, half life, and tfc

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Magius1337est posted:

strafe jumping, gauss jumping, and conc jumping ruined quake, half life, and tfc

sounds like somebody got pwned a whole lot :smugmrgw:

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

I always took that to be kind-of the point. Loads of guys--especially teenagers--tend to shrink when they meet a woman who is actually in-charge of her sexuality for her sake and her sake alone, and that's Bayonetta. She has exaggerated proportions, wears fetishistic gear, and gets naked a lot, but doesn't seem to be doing it for the purposes of the audience. It's just who she is. She's the reality of a boy facing his first hairy, smelly, unapologetically hungry vagina incarnate. And the key difference between her and garbage like Sucker Punch is that the male gaze is used as a tool to make male gamers uncomfortable with female sexuality rather than enhance their fantasy of it.

I donno man this is pretty cerebral stuff for a character called bayonetta... maybe youre right though I donno. I mean it's a big titty fat rear end long legged anime babe named Ms. Assault Rifle pretty much right? Like are you sure she gets naked or whatever 'for her' ?? That's seems like exactly the type of thing you would do for the sake of an audience consisting of dumb rear end gamers

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dog Jones posted:

I donno man this is pretty cerebral stuff for a character called bayonetta... maybe youre right though I donno. I mean it's a big titty fat rear end long legged anime babe named Ms. Assault Rifle pretty much right? Like are you sure she gets naked or whatever 'for her' ?? That's seems like exactly the type of thing you would do for the sake of an audience consisting of dumb rear end gamers
There are rare cases where you get to have your cake and eat it.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Magius1337est posted:

retarded jump physics in general ruined a bunch of arena FPS games.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
why would you guys dislike strafe jumping. you love going slow or something?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Magius1337est posted:

Try getting good

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Dog Jones posted:

Everyone hates moving fast for some reason. I want to blast down hallways but even the fastest characters in like Overwatch still feel like theyre moving through molasses

I blame twin stick controls for FPS not allowing you to change direction as fast as a mouse would allow

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
People good at bunnyhopping suck at games like Overwatch because they lose that retarded advantage of a lovely physics engine.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dog Jones posted:

Meme Emulator posted:

Try getting good

/discussion

It's pretty awesome to watch Quake III or CS pros utterly warp their physics engines to the breaking point, but it also makes the game completely inaccessible to me and my clumsy radish hands. That's why CoD4 and TF2 were popular, and why Battlefield and Overwatch carry that tradition on today.

a bone to pick posted:

People good at bunnyhopping suck at games like Overwatch because they lose that retarded advantage of a lovely physics engine.
Also this. A half-decent comp in Overwatch will punish someone trying to solo via the physics engine because the heroes are designed to rely on each other to win.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

mind the walrus posted:

It's pretty awesome to watch Quake III or CS pros utterly warp their physics engines to the breaking point, but it also makes the game completely inaccessible to me and my clumsy radish hands. That's why CoD4 and TF2 were popular, and why Battlefield and Overwatch carry that tradition on today.

TF2 still had a bunch of silly surf and sticky jump maps even, you put a way to get around in your game and people will obsess about it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s me, the adult who plays video games until someone walks in the room and then I blush and reflexively hold my hands up to cover my screen, in case they look and see the sex woman on the screen ripping off an angel’s arms and legs.

If only I had something classy like an exploding Nazi skull or Space Alien Romance simulators instead of my fighting game.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

just give it up dude

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
ya counter strike is really the type of game made with bunny hopping and strafe jumping in mind

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

well why not posted:

just give it up dude

he beat (off) to the game like 30 times, i don't think he will

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mind the walrus posted:

Also this. A half-decent comp in Overwatch will punish someone trying to solo via the physics engine because the heroes are designed to rely on each other to win.

So it's a game designed for babies to make them feel better for being bad, and for trying to play video games with a stick.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
not like the game developers actively came out and said people were exploiting the game or that they deliberately added stuff like tripping to balance the game properly

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yes any fps that doesn't have the characters bouncing around constantly like retards is a game for babies. Very good deduction.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Holy cow you are allowed to like Bayonetta. I am happy to acknowledge my opinion is unpopular. I actually disliked the gameplay more than anything else. Most of my embarrassment stems from the idea of her being cool and sexy having to be reinforced to me every 30 seconds.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
dolphin diving is totally realistic

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

a bone to pick posted:

Yes any fps that doesn't have the characters bouncing around constantly like retards is a game for babies. Very good deduction.

correct

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I often reminisce about Battlefield 2 but then am snapped back to reality by memories of dolphin diving and getting sniped by jets for hours on end. Good game, bad balance, bad community.

Removing jets from Bad Company was the best idea they've ever had.

Here's an unpopular opinion - between 2008 and 2010 EA games had a run of titles that's yet to be topped by any company. Mirror's Edge, Skate, Burnout, Dead Space Bad Company and Mass Effect all sprung from this time.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Can we at least all agree that Bayonetta is a shockingly stupid name? It's up there with Starcraft 2's Wings of Liberty for low effort trash naming.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

no it's a good name and I can't wait for the spinoff starring Musketto

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

"I wish my action oriented arena fps was slower" said the retarded molasses baby in slow motion

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Jeez I just can't get into any fps that doesn't make me constantly smash the jump button to go fast, I don't know why anyone wouldn't like this kind of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

gotta keep that apm high else I fall asleep